PDA

View Full Version : UA's Response to NCAA Notice of Allegations

Bamadad
3/5/2009, 03:54 PM
Here we go again. The damn Nazis have struck again.

http://uanews.ua.edu/anews2009/mar09/ncaa030509.htm

WildHorse
3/5/2009, 04:09 PM
Why are athletes recieving textbooks. :confused:

badger
3/5/2009, 04:15 PM
When I first started attending OU and saw some students on textbook scholarships, I thought it was a good deal, because you could return your texts at the end of the semester for cash. Hell, pick up extra books and get even MORE cash back for MORE books!

It was near the end of my studenthood (2005) that signs started appearing in OU's bookstore stating that student-athletes were NOT allowed to participate in book buyback, but rather, just turned their texts in at the end of the semester.

I would foresee that there'd still be some abuse of this, even with these notices. Keep the books, and resell them on Amazon or eBay!

ictsooner7
3/5/2009, 09:47 PM
When I first started attending OU and saw some students on textbook scholarships, I thought it was a good deal, because you could return your texts at the end of the semester for cash. Hell, pick up extra books and get even MORE cash back for MORE books!

It was near the end of my studenthood (2005) that signs started appearing in OU's bookstore stating that student-athletes were NOT allowed to participate in book buyback, but rather, just turned their texts in at the end of the semester.

I would foresee that there'd still be some abuse of this, even with these notices. Keep the books, and resell them on Amazon or eBay!

OK..........I guess I'm a little slow..........so let me get this straight. Some athletes have been turning their textbooks back into the bookstore and getting money for them at the end of the semester? So they get what 2-3 hundred bucks and the NCAA can ferret out these egregious takers of extra benefits, BUT they cannot get ANYTHING on Reggie Bush. They cannot find out who was paying for the house his family was living in for over a year. They cannot find out who paid for the airline tickets for the trip to Oregon they took to watch him play. They cannot find out who paid for Reggie's car. They cannot find out who paid for the trips to Vegas. RRRIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT.

Crucifax Autumn
3/5/2009, 09:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing! WTF?????

Leroy Lizard
3/5/2009, 10:10 PM
Read the NCAA's report. Alabama was giving students textbooks to classes they were not even enrolled in. The NCAA views this as a major violation because it can be used as a pay-the-player scheme, where athletes are given books with the express purposes of letting them sell the books back for cash. Another scheme is to let players enroll in classes, receive the textbooks, then drop the class.

The infractions are either:

1. A scheme laid out by the athletic department to funnel cash to players.
2. A system that the athletic department knows about but turns a blind eye.
3. Isolated incidences that the athletic department did not know about.

Collier11
3/6/2009, 12:05 AM
I hadnt heard anything about this, after what they just came off of if this is a bad deal for them...

boomersooner28
3/6/2009, 02:19 AM
Picture, if you will, the Reggie Bush saga as a game of "Lets Make a Deal". There are 3 doors, and behind door one is proof of cheating by USC. Behind door two, is evidence that Reggie was being paid while playing at USC. Behind door three is the donkey. When it comes to USC, the NCAA chooses door three even though they know whats behind all three doors.

:O

badger
3/6/2009, 09:56 AM
The funny part about textbook scholarships is that for non-athletes, you only get a certain allotment and whatever you don't use, you can put toward Billy Bursar. However, some students obviously don't get this (freshmen!) and will buy the authentic OU notebooks, pencils, coffee mugs, you name it, the OU bookstore has already stuck an OU logo on it. :rolleyes:

For athletes, however, it seems that the rule is whatever you took out at the beginning of the semester as far as textbooks, you need to return.

I hope we can all learn to let Reggie Bush go. If it's any consolidation prize, he's flopping majorly in the NFL.

NormanPride
3/6/2009, 10:42 AM
I really hope we don't do **** like this. I am a huge Bob Stoops fan because I firmly believe that he does not put up with this kind of crap.

BigHouseDon
3/6/2009, 09:02 PM
OK..........I guess I'm a little slow..........so let me get this straight. Some athletes have been turning their textbooks back into the bookstore and getting money for them at the end of the semester? So they get what 2-3 hundred bucks and the NCAA can ferret out these egregious takers of extra benefits, BUT they cannot get ANYTHING on Reggie Bush. They cannot find out who was paying for the house his family was living in for over a year. They cannot find out who paid for the airline tickets for the trip to Oregon they took to watch him play. They cannot find out who paid for Reggie's car. They cannot find out who paid for the trips to Vegas. RRRIIIIGGGHHHHTTTT.

C'mon now, we all know that none of that really happened. A fine upstanding young man like Reggie would never do anything like that.:rolleyes: He wouldn't do the book thing either. You know that nice fella Petey Carroll would never let his playas do anything that could be construed as against the rules. After all, being in sunny southern California, with tons of beautiful women around to treat the playas like rock stars, why would he need to??:confused: He takes such good care of those fine young men, He doesn't even make them travel for post season games. After all we all know how dangerous road trips are. Now, don't you feel silly for thinking such ridiculous things about all those nice folks over there at SUC??:D

LOL sorry, I couldn't resist. I almost feel like a SUC fan after that.

BHD

LoyalFan
3/7/2009, 10:51 AM
Here we go again. The damn Nazis have struck again.

http://uanews.ua.edu/anews2009/mar09/ncaa030509.htm

OK, I confess! I ratted ya'll out. Phat Phil made me do it.

Sincerely,

Lane Kiffin

OlRedMagic
3/11/2009, 04:42 PM

Much like everything else in America these days there is a huge bureaucracy filled with red tape being run by the corrupt. Those who "know" someone or who fill the coffers more than someone else are excused from their wrongdoings. Those who don't pay the same tributes get sacrificed so "they" can tell everyone how much good they're doing.