PDA

View Full Version : RSS feeds

Penguin
3/5/2009, 03:20 PM
Somebody explain it to me. What is it? How does it work? Is it good or bad? Does it taste like candy?

8timechamps
3/5/2009, 03:36 PM
Not that any of it's accurate, but here's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_Feeds) the Wiki answer.

For the record, I didn't understand it, so I looked it up on Wikipedia, and after reading it, I still don't understand it.

Vaevictis
3/5/2009, 04:12 PM
Do you remember news tickers back in the old days?

It's basically the same principle for web sites. You subscribe to an RSS feed and get brief updates from the RSS source.

Often times, these will be used by say, a news site, web comic or blog to notify you that a new article/post was published, possibly with a brief summary.

A Sooner in Texas
3/5/2009, 08:40 PM
Here's what I don't get....Twitter.
I mean, I get what it is and how it works. I just don't get the appeal.
Anybody here tweet?

SoonerJack
3/6/2009, 09:46 AM
RSS is an excellent tool for rendering marginally productive people utterly unproductive.

Penguin
3/6/2009, 12:32 PM
RSS is an excellent tool for rendering marginally productive people utterly unproductive.

Ah. So RSS is the marijuana of the internets.

SoonerJack
3/6/2009, 04:53 PM
Ah. So RSS is the marijuana of the internets.

Indeed. This guy that works for me is constantly updating me on something "he saw on the web." He's totally wired, connected, twittered, has 6 blogs, does bzzagent viral buzz marketing.

And he never gets anything done. [end rant]

Whet
3/6/2009, 05:06 PM
Indeed. This guy that works for me is constantly updating me on something "he saw on the web." He's totally wired, connected, twittered, has 6 blogs, does bzzagent viral buzz marketing.

And he never gets anything done. [end rant]

So, he is a nit Twit ter?