PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys Cut T.O.

JLEW1818
3/5/2009, 12:16 AM
more info later

Terrell Owens' stay in Dallas is over. The Cowboys cut the wide receiver Wednesday night, reports ESPN.com's Michael Smith. T.O. spent three seasons in Big D.

Sooner_09
3/5/2009, 12:21 AM
Well how about them apples? This opens up room in the salary cap for them to draft Iglesias:D

JLEW1818
3/5/2009, 12:29 AM
Arizona take a chance with him?? If AB leaves? My first guess was Chargers

JLEW1818
3/5/2009, 12:30 AM
The Dallas Cowboys have released controversial wide receiver Terrell Owens, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith late Wednesday.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones did not deny the team is discussing the possible release of Owens in late February.

"That Stephen and I were debating about Terrell, that's just misinformation," Jones said regarding his son, Cowboys vice president Stephen Jones at the time. "That's just not accurate. I don't know where that comes from. That's just total misinformation."

The Cowboys paid Owens a $12 million signing bonus just last year, included as part of a new four-year, $34 million deal.

Owens caught 69 passes for 1,052 yards and 10 touchdowns this season.

RedstickSooner
3/5/2009, 04:09 AM
So, they cut him because he's too expensive under the salary cap? I've never quite gotten the NFL -- dude is lame as a person, but he's decent as a wideout, and last season wasn't horrible or anything. Is it just that he didn't deliver enough for his price tag?

I wonder if anyone has ever done the math to figure out what percent of veterans turn out to be a good deal given what teams trade & pay for them. Given how many vet busts there are out there, it seems ironic to me that teams and analysts bitch so much about paying too much for rookies.

Jacie
3/5/2009, 06:58 AM
After reading a thread about Roy Williams the other day, when I heard on the radio, "The Dallas Cowboys released . . . ", I expected to hear his name instead of ". . . wide receiver Terrell Owens."

I still hope Roy gets a chance to play somewhere else.

JLEW1818
3/5/2009, 07:54 AM
2009 Cowboy record with Jerry, Romo, Wade and Jason calling the shots, yet again.........7-9

DoubleDown
3/5/2009, 07:54 AM
Actually, they're taking a hit in salary cap money despite cutting him. This was a pure "locker room" move.

Unfortunately, Romo is still taking snaps at QB.

JLEW1818
3/5/2009, 07:56 AM
Warner is staying in Arizona, FYI

just seen it.

OUmillenium
3/5/2009, 09:20 AM
Yes! (THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE FROM ME)

yermom
3/5/2009, 09:35 AM
they probably need room for Barry Bonds ;)

hey Boarder, you back on board now?

seriously though, who do they think is going to make up for 1000 yards and 10 TDs? Roy Williams?

olevetonahill
3/5/2009, 09:54 AM
Warner is staying in Arizona, FYI

just seen it.

Is a fer sure done deal ?
Last i heard was they were close on an agreement .
I hope he stays just to keep matty on the bench:D

badger
3/5/2009, 10:13 AM
This probably belongs on the general sports forum. I get TRRW talk over here, because he's a Sooner alum, but what ties does TO have to OU?

Hmmm...

1- His alma mater, UT-Chatty, was our home opening beatdown last season?
2- His cutting will result in an OU wide receiver making the Cowboys roster to replace him?

EDIT: and someone already started a thread there too. Mergeee merge, por favor?

ouleaf
3/5/2009, 11:04 AM
Romo better have one hell of a year next year, b/c there is no more T.O. excuse to go by. For all the commotion T.O. makes he was at least a pretty productive WR in his time here.

CrimsonJim
3/5/2009, 12:06 PM
Hallelujah. He was becoming a major distraction (again) and while I haven't researched it, I would imagine he also dropped more balls than most receivers in the league. For all the big plays he may have made, his drops killed more drives than not.

soonerfan28
3/5/2009, 12:22 PM
Thank God the TO cancer hads been cut out. I guess drama king won't be able to play in the billion dollar stadium as a Cowboy.

fossil
3/5/2009, 06:55 PM
:D Thank God Jerry finally wised up. T. Owens is a cancer in every lockroom and will be no different wherever he goes from here. This is three years overdue. Cancer, left untreated, does what????? It spreads and eats away all the good cells. T.O. was malignant!!!

soonerinabilene
3/5/2009, 07:14 PM
FWIW, Minnesota, Tennessee, and the Giants have all already released statements saying they are not interested in offering TO a deal. 3-1 odds he lands in Oakland.

tulsaoilerfan
3/5/2009, 07:19 PM
Good riddance; the guy is pure poison and whatever team picks him up will eventually end up regretting it; good receivers are not that damn hard to find

Spanish Sooner
3/6/2009, 12:40 PM
The biggest potential winner in releasing TO is probably Travis Wilson who ended the season on the cowboys practice squad. With only 4 other receivers on the Cowboys roster from last year, TFRW, Crayton, Hurd, and Austin, Wilson has a better chance now to make the 53 man roster and break into the rotation

soonerfan28
3/6/2009, 02:28 PM
What about Isaiah Stanbeck. He has good size and speed. I would like to see Wilson get some time though.

TMcGee86
3/6/2009, 02:45 PM
Stanbeck can't stay healty. Plus he can't seem to make the transition. I think he proves to be a wasted pick.

soonerboomer93
3/7/2009, 03:07 PM
This probably belongs on the general sports forum. I get TRRW talk over here, because he's a Sooner alum, but what ties does TO have to OU?

So you've never participated in a bret farve or packers thread on this forum?

i'm just sayin ;)

Oh, and T.O. is a ******, and the 'boys can suck it

Salt City Sooner
3/7/2009, 06:09 PM
This should be moved to the WHO'S THE BIGGEST TURD IN THE NFL? forum.
& speaking of turds, that stench you're smelling in Buffalo, New York, is T.O. arriving:

It didn't take long for T.O. to find a new home.

Terrell Owens has agreed to a one-year, $6.5 million deal with the Buffalo Bills, according to sources.

The Bills called a 6:15 p.m. news conference Saturday to announce the signing. According to a source, the entire contract is guaranteed.

Owens visited the Bills on Saturday. He was released by the Dallas Cowboys late Wednesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3960653