PDA

View Full Version : Stoops calls out O-Line...

tbl
3/4/2009, 10:51 AM
Uh-oh....

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25-oklahomasline&prov=ap&type=lgns

Stoops: Sooners’ front line undisciplined

By JEFF LATZKE, AP Sports Writer 14 hours, 23 minutes ago

NORMAN, Okla. (AP)—On his way to the Heisman Trophy, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford rarely was concerned about his well-being when he dropped back to pass.

With an experienced, mammoth front line in front of him, Bradford was hardly touched by opposing defenders as he threw for 4,720 yards and 50 touchdowns. In 14 games, the Sooners allowed only 13 sacks—one every 37 pass attempts.

It could take some time to forge a new unit that’s as capable of protecting Bradford as the Sooners try to make another run to the BCS championship game— and come away successful this time.

Sooners coach Bob Stoops called out his young offensive line Tuesday at the start of spring practice, using the kind of criticism he rarely aims at his own players.

“Whether it’s their work ethic, their attitude, those kinds of things need to improve,” Stoops said. “They haven’t had the winter everybody else has had. They right now are the weak link of the team and we’ll see if they can respond and have any kind of a spring and summer to help us be a team that can contend for a Big 12 championship.

“They’ll be a big part of whether we will or will not depending on their attitude, workout habits, those kinds of things if we’ll be able to do it. They’ve been very inconsistent that way in how they work and their toughness and discipline.”

All-American guard Duke Robinson, all-Big 12 tackle Phil Loadholt, all-conference center Jon Cooper and guard Brandon Walker are gone from the starting five, and top reserve Branndon Braxton’s career is also done after his senior year.

Tackle Trent Williams is the only starter back from the line that gave up fewer sacks than all teams other than run-heavy Navy and Air Force. Among those trying to fill the gaps—or create them for Oklahoma’s running backs—will be LSU transfer Jarvis Jones and Stephen Good, who was chosen to play in the U.S. Army All-American high-school All-Star game.

But Stoops called the O-line a major issue that the Sooners need to address leading up to the April 11 spring game.

“Just coming to work every day, having a tough attitude, having some discipline to do the things you’re supposed to do on the field and off. To this point, they haven’t done that,” Stoops said.

Several Sooners starters will be out for the spring sessions, including running back DeMarco Murray (hamstring), linebacker Ryan Reynolds (knee), defensive tackle Demarcus Granger (back) and defensive end Auston English (knee).

Stoops also doesn’t expect Bradford, tailback Chris Brown or tight end Jermaine Gresham to take any contact to reduce the possibility of getting them hurt, too.

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 10:53 AM
Sounds like they need some work.

JLEW1818
3/4/2009, 11:23 AM
as long as they are better than 05, we got a shot

TripleOption14
3/4/2009, 11:33 AM
They right now are the weak link of the team and we’ll see if they can respond and have any kind of a spring and summer to help us be a team that can contend for a Big 12 championship.

Hmm..... so when did it go from contend for "National Championships" to "contend for Big 12 Championships??" Prehaps a little freudian slip by Ol Bob. Interesting.

CrimsonJim
3/4/2009, 11:51 AM
This was just Bob's way of getting their attention. Schmidy will get them in line. They'll either shape up or ship out. :)

No matter how talented the group as individuals may be, it always takes time for an O-line to gel as a unit. I'm quite confident they will become an excellent line when they get used to playing with each other. The above mentioned problem(s) will work themselves out.

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 12:36 PM
Hmm..... so when did it go from contend for "National Championships" to "contend for Big 12 Championships??" Prehaps a little freudian slip by Ol Bob. Interesting.

Bob's always been about winning Big XII championships first. It's not every year that we get to play for the NC but we should at least be a contender to play for the Big XII.

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 03:18 PM
I think this will give both Vinson and Jeffries a shot at playing time.

boomersooner28
3/4/2009, 04:14 PM
Stoops knows that his defense is going to give him a shot at all the marbles. IF, he can piece together a o-line, this team will be dangerous. Here's to an injury free spring! :pop:

TripleOption14
3/4/2009, 06:14 PM
Bob's always been about winning Big XII championships first. It's not every year that we get to play for the NC but we should at least be a contender to play for the Big XII.

But I could have sworn he to say all the time, "OU is about playing and Conf. Titles and National Titles" I know I didn't dream that. Just interesting to see how he words things 10 years later.

BoulderSooner79
3/4/2009, 07:31 PM
The winner of the big12 is almost always competing for a slot in the title game. There are only 6 BCS conferences and the big12 is usually near the top in BCS cred. I don't read much into Stoops comment other than he is challenging the O-line to step up. I'm confident they will be great group - the question is when. If they can be good enough by Oct. to get a win in Dallas, it could be a special season.

RedstickSooner
3/5/2009, 05:26 AM
Gotta love how pissed off Bob gets whenever players have the temerity to act like voluntary workouts are remotely voluntary.

BornandBred
3/5/2009, 08:56 AM
The fact is our D should be the strength of this year's team. We have the returning Heisman winner, 2 1000 yard backs, and great safety valve/mismatch at TE. All this O-line needs to be is serviceable. I don't think we'll need to score 60 each game to win this year. I'm thinking 24 should get us the W, on average. But, knowing our O, I suspect we'll be putting up 40-50 regularly.

OU_Sooners75
3/9/2009, 07:19 AM
The OLine will be fine.

josh09
3/9/2009, 01:10 PM

Because that's first on the list. We have to win a conference championship before we can think about national championships. It looks to me like Bob has his priorities in order

OlRedMagic
3/11/2009, 04:29 PM
Duke played how long for OU? And he's just now cared enough to work his *** off and get in shape so he can go collect a pay-check? One wonders if he'd been forced to work a little harder while he was here if he couldn't have accomplished more. One also has to wonder if maybe Bob's yapping at the wrong people at this point.

goingoneight
3/11/2009, 07:06 PM
But I could have sworn he to say all the time, "OU is about playing and Conf. Titles and National Titles" I know I didn't dream that. Just interesting to see how he words things 10 years later.

"I don't think it will take us very long at all to be in contention for a BIG 12 Championship."
- Bob Stoops, December 1999.

"The season wasn't successful until tonight, now we have a shot at something extra special."
- Bob Stoops, December 2000 (just after his first BIG 12 Championship at 12-0 versus K-State).

I know everyone acts like winning the conference is getting tiring... but look at every other sport... I know for a fact that Capel and Co. would like the BIG 12 Championship. Just as back in football everyone else in the BIG 12 would like to win more than one BIG 12 Championship, versus Bob's six. You think Stoops surrendered against OSU in 2004 just because he had already locked up the BIG 12 South? I sure didn't see the lack of effort.

I'd be concerned if he said something like "we want to win a bowl game next year." I know it's great to know we're not "hoping for 9 wins" like someone else a little further north.

goingoneight
3/11/2009, 07:09 PM
Duke played how long for OU? And he's just now cared enough to work his *** off and get in shape so he can go collect a pay-check? One wonders if he'd been forced to work a little harder while he was here if he couldn't have accomplished more. One also has to wonder if maybe Bob's yapping at the wrong people at this point.

Says the moron about the two-time All-American. Wasn't Duke the guy who set the record for most weight cut from arrival to fall camp by a lineman under Stoops? Didn't we win three BIG 12 Championships with ol' Duke up front? I'm pretty sure someone would have blind-sided OUr QBs all season long if not for guys like Duke.

snp
3/11/2009, 07:22 PM
Says the moron about the two-time All-American. Wasn't Duke the guy who set the record for most weight cut from arrival to fall camp by a lineman under Stoops? Didn't we win three BIG 12 Championships with ol' Duke up front? I'm pretty sure someone would have blind-sided OUr QBs all season long if not for guys like Duke.

Not to mention all the extra work a student-athlete has to put in an average day than a person who only has to worry about getting in better shape.

ashley
3/11/2009, 07:38 PM
The word from the staff is that the O-line will be a good surprise in 09. They have look good this spring.

goingoneight
3/12/2009, 08:40 PM
The word from Stoops is simply that they're inconsistent. He said that about the receiving corps in 2006 and it ended up being probably OUr biggest strength considering the QB situation that happened. I don't think he's using a press conference to put players down or even light a fire up underneath them. He's a no bullshat-kinda guy. I'm pretty sure if he says they aren't consistently performing at a high level, that's exactly what it means. I doubt we're throwing a bunch of talentless bums out there en route to 6-6ville... I'll bet there's not a lot of dropoff, just a new group that needs to buckle down and prove their overall worth.

Big D Sooner
4/10/2009, 12:13 AM
So, does anyone have any good inside info on how the line is doing? Since the practices have been closed and the coaches aren't saying much, there really hasn't been much real news.

OU_Sooners75
4/10/2009, 02:14 AM
So, does anyone have any good inside info on how the line is doing? Since the practices have been closed and the coaches aren't saying much, there really hasn't been much real news.

It is Spring Football. Unless there is a major injury, there really will not be much real news coming out!

Spring Football is an aide to the coaches and the players on what they need to learn for the upcoming season....not so much as a depth chart mover or anything like that, though it can happen.

Everyone gets a chance to show off, unless the coaching staff has them on the sideline for injury or for protection purposes.

I will be going to the game, leaving tomorrow to Norman. After I get home, I will be writing a new article, actually a revised 2009 preview of what you will likely see from OU in 2009. Granted from Spring to the start of the next season is still 5+ months away, so a lot can still happen.

goingoneight
4/10/2009, 04:32 PM
Can you watch it on www.soonersports.com?

I watched it last year on there with BBSr calling the game...