PDA

View Full Version : COOP Aleworks- OKC's new craft microbrewery

OUMallen
3/4/2009, 10:12 AM
Guys, you gotta try this place out...they're located on 51st St next to the Speakeasy, which serves their beers. http://www.coopaleworks.com I tried the 4 available last night, and here are my thoughts:

ried each of the DNR belgian-style, the horny toad cerveza style, the native amber, and the zeppelin german wheat.

First one I tried was the horny toad- very drinkable, straightforward beer with a slight aftertaste that was, to me, alternately mildly hoppy or mexican beerish. I think this is basically their most straightforward, and it's a great alternative to just grabbing a sixer of your usual American lager. This won't blow your mind, but it's certainly above-average. I could imagine having quite a few of these at an outdoor concert without getting tired of them.

The Native Amber- I thought was pretty dark and reminded me of the Breckenridge Brewery's amber. I'm not really an amber guy, so I'm not good to try to give an opinion on it. I thought it was fine, but my least favorite of the 4.

The Zep- This one was a solid, solid effort. Like many American wheat beers, and unlike their german counterparts, it's a little better with some fruit in it. They served it with an orange slice and I thought it was pretty dang good. Again, like the other beers, I wouldn't say it was very "daring" (and I've had a lot of different wheat beers...), but it was pretty tasty and would be good on a warm day.

And now, their flagship: the DNR (Do Not Resuscitate) Belgian Style. This beer is badass. No joke. A more drinkable version of Chimay that's not overpowering. The taste is terrific and has a fruity/spicy aftertaste that sticks with you. Everyone was raving about this one before yesterday and last night when I got there, and the hype was legit. Do yourself a favor and try this one ASAP. If they can keep the same taste and quality when they get to bottling, I could really see this one having some regional success.