PDA

View Full Version : Which newcomer on defense will provide the most impact?

oupride
3/4/2009, 09:59 AM
I have 2 possibilities: DE R.J. Washington and FS Joseph Ibiloye.

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 10:48 AM
It depends on what you term a newcomer. You could say that Quinton Carter is a newcomer because he didn'y play that often last year. If not then I would say RJ Washington for sure and then maybe JaMarcus McFarland. I would really like to see what Ibiloye can do.

Mad Dog Madsen
3/4/2009, 05:29 PM
It depends on what you term a newcomer. You could say that Quinton Carter is a newcomer because he didn'y play that often last year. If not then I would say RJ Washington for sure and then maybe JaMarcus McFarland. I would really like to see what Ibiloye can do.

You could say that but that would be dumb...

badger
3/4/2009, 05:48 PM
You could say that but that would be dumb...

You have no grounds to make such an accusation, mister. Eff it... moving back to the topic at hand...

Just to be different, I will go with Tress Way. Punting will be key if the o-line is as bad as Stoops told reporters yesterday. Watching Florida State devastate Wisconsin in its bowl last year on the punter's foot alone means that he can have a solid impact early-on for OU.

Plus, he's from TULSA!

Edit: I only read "newcomer" in the thread title, but it is quite arguable that a punter would have a tremendous effect on the defense, and since special teamers never get any kudos, I will stay with my nominee of Tress Way for having the most impact, as a newcomer, on our defense. If he can pin the other team deep in their own territory, that is a huge bonus to our defense.

starclassic tama
3/4/2009, 07:00 PM
punters are defensive players now?

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 07:06 PM
Just so we are clear I consider Carter a newcomer because he wasn't a starter. He's newcomer to the lineup and he'll see all the snaps, so my answer now is Carter.

Sooner_09
3/4/2009, 11:35 PM
Sam Procter without a doubt IMO

JLEW1818
3/4/2009, 11:42 PM
R.J. Washington

Sooner13
3/5/2009, 10:49 AM
Sam Procter without a doubt IMO

I agree. I think both safeties will have a huge impact. Granted is tough to replace two starting safeties but the new guys should make up for lack of experience with athleticism. Plus, we had to replace both corners before last season and that worked out pretty well...

ashley
3/13/2009, 09:01 AM
I watched spring training this week and the biggest surprise I saw was linbacker Tom Wort. He has great explosion and is acting like he wants to start this year. Don't be surprised if he plays a lot. The coaches are very high on him.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/14/2009, 02:20 AM
Tom Wort.... I agree with that and others are seeing it as well:
http://www.cstv.com/allaccess/player/07-oas-mediaplayer-okla.html?content=mms://a1981.v8108e.c8108.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1981/8108/v0001/cstvcbs.download.akamai.com/8108/open/okla/08-09/video/m-footbl/03mar/20090312_i_balogun.wmv&school=okla&

"Tom has the innate ablity to uncoil on people"
-Brent Venables, signing day 2009

sooner94
3/17/2009, 03:46 PM
"The innate ablity to uncoil on people" is a good trait for a lineback to have.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/18/2009, 12:48 AM
"The innate ablity to uncoil on people" is a good trait for a lineback to have.

No doubt brother. If you haven't seen his highlights, here ya go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz5R7FdiuSc

JLEW1818
3/18/2009, 01:10 AM
I think my new obsession might R.J. Washington....... we just seem to connect on all levels, kinda like Dom and I did. He was upset when he found out that i must find a new obsession.... ;) :D

MojoRisen
3/20/2009, 08:10 AM
Is it possible we have the best defense assembled in the last 6 years here at OU?

I am going with Quinton Carter - ie The Headhunter! or how about "The Predator"

Sooner13
3/20/2009, 08:53 AM
Where do you guys see Wort getting time? Is he really going to displace one of our returning starting OLBs? I see him getting a lot of time on special teams but just spot duty after that.

MojoRisen
3/20/2009, 09:09 AM
If he really runs a 4-4 Forty and can hit like he does. As long as he can pick up the defense - why not compete for PT. I had no indication that Travis lewis was going to be such a stud at LB.

With that said I think I could name 6 starting LB's ahead of him and probably a few back ups with more experience.

soonerfan28
3/20/2009, 09:53 AM
I think Wort needs to gain some weight between now and the fall to compete for real playing time. I say if he's at least 220 he'll see the field. He can hit hard, but your not going against 160 lb RB's. I know that he has been raved about in practice but we'll have to see how he looks in August. I know I'll get the comparison to Lewis Baker who played his career around 200 lbs, but it's rare that you see that.

MojoRisen
3/20/2009, 10:45 AM
Baker was an athletic freak of nature and extremely strong... He could never gain the weight but had like 2% body fat...

I agree, Wort playing at about 220 with another 40 pounds on bench would be nice to see.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/20/2009, 06:56 PM
Where do you guys see Wort getting time? Is he really going to displace one of our returning starting OLBs? I see him getting a lot of time on special teams but just spot duty after that.

Everyone is talking as if our LB's are 4 year starters. Outside of Reynolds the rest are extremely young at the position. T.Lewis and clayton have good game time at LB. Of the remainders, only Box has any meaningful playing time and he's coming off another injury as is Reynolds. That's 2 large question marks until we see how they return. Hopefully they return in good form. With all this in mind, to say these freshman don't have a shot to get playing time is absurd.
If they are hungry enough, work hard enough and learn quickly enough I think they have a real good chance at getting game reps.

BoggyCreek Monster
3/20/2009, 07:11 PM
If he really runs a 4-4 Forty and can hit like he does. As long as he can pick up the defense - why not compete for PT. I had no indication that Travis lewis was going to be such a stud at LB.

With that said I think I could name 6 starting LB's ahead of him and probably a few back ups with more experience.

1. Reynolds (injured-proven)
2. T.Lewis-proven
3. Clayton-proven
4. Box (injured-proven)

5. Balogun-minimal game reps, proven
6. Bryant- unproven
7. Crow-unproven
8. Franklin-unproven

we NEED these freshman to catch on quickly.
Walk-ons have not been added to this list.

ashley
3/20/2009, 07:59 PM
Tom Wort will play a lot next year. If he stays healthy he could br the defensive player of the year.

soonerfan28
3/22/2009, 10:08 AM
I think Bryant will be see some time on the field this year. They like him so much that they were trying to get him in at DE some even though that had more to do with injuries at DE last year. Daniel Franklin has been forgotten about, but I think he makes and impact this year. He was getting praise from the coaches last year.

stoopified
3/23/2009, 12:16 AM
We may have some newcomers get PT next year but their impact will be minimal given the talent returning.I do not consider Carter as a newcomer because he started a couple of games and totaled 37 tackles for the season.RJ has the talent but will be joining THREE talented DEs (English,Beal,Alexander) in the rotation and that will limit his impact.

We return 5 players at LB (Balougn,Box,Clayton,Lewis,Reynolds) who are experienced so I don't see ANY new LB cracking the 2-deep.

I see Proctor getting the safety spot alongside Carter and with Franks and B.Jackson back at CB I don't see major impact from secondary newcomers.

As for DT with Granger,McCoy,Taylor( all proven vets) back and Cordero Moore lurking in the wings.I don't see any real shot here either.Jemarkus Mc Farland is a stud BUT so was McCoy and Gerald was redshirted so I expect the same for Jemarkus.As always grade problems or injuries could change the picture but as of now I think we are settled on D.Offense is an entirely different story.

sooner94
3/23/2009, 11:42 AM
I haven't heard much about Reynolds' rehab. Hopefully that means its going as planned.

Tough to come back from that many knee injuries.

JLEW1818
3/23/2009, 12:13 PM
Reynolds gets released in May.