PDA

View Full Version : The real Roy Williams leaving Dallas?

looch
3/3/2009, 04:15 PM
Saw a headline on ESPN at lunch. Anyone heard anything about it?

Hope the best for him. Especially after his contract extension and speech about retiring in Dallas.

fadada1
3/3/2009, 04:24 PM
i'd like to see him somewhere without all the distractions and nonsense. maybe a pittsburgh-type place. quiet confidence.

soonermike20
3/3/2009, 04:30 PM
Does anyone have a link? I would like to read into that and i can't find it

stoops the eternal pimp
3/3/2009, 04:34 PM
He is gonna be gone one way or the other..They would like to trade him, but if there isn't any takers, they are gonna release him

looch
3/3/2009, 04:39 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Williams-wants-Dallas-to-trade-or-cut-him-by-Tue?urn=nfl,145358

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/030309dnspocowbrief.1def5915.html

47straight
3/3/2009, 05:16 PM
This poster pretty much sums up why Roy gets the unfavorable Dallas media treatment:

Posted by Sherlock Holmes | 2 hours ago
Roy

To paraphrase Billy Joel, "you need to take a Greyhound on the Red River Line" as it will take you back to Norman in about 4 hours.

47straight
3/3/2009, 05:23 PM
I can't blame the guy for asking for some certainty about his job status so he can move on if he has to move on. With Roy gone, there will be no real reason left for me to root for the Cowboys. The only real negative is that whatever team he ends up on won't be on TV as much.

Crucifax Autumn
3/4/2009, 04:08 AM
Let's just hope wherever he ends up has an understanding of his style and strengths.

Jacie
3/4/2009, 07:08 AM
It bothered me that the NFL had to enact a "Roy Wiliams Rule" but it was a result of playing against guys who were as fast as he was and that he had to play in the scheme. Getting out of Dallas is about the best thing that can happen to any player, unless the alternative is Detroit or Oakland . . .

Jello Biafra
3/4/2009, 10:04 AM
one word.....cheecago!

tbl
3/4/2009, 10:45 AM
As a Cowboys fan, I'm hoping he is gone. As a Sooners fan, I've been terribly disappointed in TRRW since he signed the big money contract and his performance just dropped through the floor. Say what you will, but whatever the reason, the guy wasn't hitting as hard, making plays, and doing much of anything besides getting burned on deep plays. Maybe it was the coaching... maybe it was his ego... maybe it was his performance... I'm not sure, but I do know that he hasn't been an effective safety in many a moon.

badger
3/4/2009, 11:12 AM
Getting out of Dallas is about the best thing that can happen to any player, unless the alternative is Detroit or Oakland . . .

The only reason players go to Detroit is if they got drafted to there or can't find work elsewhere. The only reason players go to Oakland is if they got drafted there or want big money contracts that they don't deserve.

As a Cowboys fan, I'm hoping he is gone. As a Sooners fan, I've been terribly disappointed in TRRW since he signed the big money contract and his performance just dropped through the floor.

Funny how this seems to happen a lot in the NFL, doesn't it? I mean, the money's not even all guaranteed to begin with, so you'd think that they'd try to continue pushing themselves so they don't get cut, but perhaps the signing bonus and initial years of the contract make you just not care enough anymore.

It's not a hit on TRRW, it's a hit on the NFL. Every media agency from ESPN to locals are saying it - that the NFL is putting too much money on player contracts, especially when they're cutting $40k-$50k workers in the offices behind organizations to save money due to these harsh economic times or whatever.

If these players don't perform after getting their big paydays, well, is it the fault of the league or the players?

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 01:03 PM
It doesn't appear that many teams are intersted in him as a trade because they know that Dallas will eventually release him. When they do we'll be able to see who really wants him.

badger
3/4/2009, 02:27 PM
who really wants him.
http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/10/1060/7LVL000Z/green-bay-packers-helmet-logo.jpg

We need helllllllllllllllp on defense! :(

oumartin
3/4/2009, 03:02 PM
The Roy Williams rule is stupid. anything beyond a facemask should be legal.

Scott D
3/4/2009, 03:51 PM
Packers don't need another safety, they need better linebackers and defensive tackles.

soonerlaw
3/4/2009, 03:52 PM
Ever since that oft-injured ksu db alum Newman called him a deer in the headlights, it seems that the Dallas fans were all over him. I think Roy really wanted to prove himself this year, but then he broke his arm and hardly played. Dallas fans (even though I am a Dallas fan) are pretty fickle. One year, everbody loves him and his jersey is the #1 seller, next year they want him gone. TO stomps on the star and they hate him, he signs with Dallas and they love him. That's the diff between NFL and College Ball, there are guys on OU that don't play well or give up a TD and while we might get frustrated, at the end of the day they always have our support.

boomersooner28
3/4/2009, 04:10 PM
I am a Dallas Cowboys fan, but more importantly a TRRW fan. TRRW should move on down the road. He needs to find a better fit for himself. He wasn't used properly in Dallas and he is not fast enough to be a safety IMO. He needs to be a hybrid backer on a club that has good corners and can let him roam and smack people down. I think it's going to take a unique defensive scheme for TRRW to be effective again in the NFL.

badger
3/4/2009, 04:16 PM
All NFL fans are fickle (yes, even in Green Bay, but definitely to a lesser degree up there). It's different from college, where players are viewed as kids, as student-athletes, as non-pros, as developing, as young. Fans feel tied to their school and their teams more than at the pro level.

In the NFL, players are viewed as should-be's, as in should be more dedicated, should be improving faster, should be more professional, should be making more plays because they're making so much money. The college love affair (that Vince Young was coddled into thinking would be the case for the rest of his football career) is over and fans, especially Philly fans, will boo you, heckle you and chastise you outta town if you're not perfect.

Stuart Scott can beg fans to not boo athletes all they want, but times are too tough to look the other way when a guy's making $100 million but not doing jack sh!t on the field. Hell, even when times are good that's hard to ignore!

Widescreen
3/4/2009, 04:35 PM
That's the diff between NFL and College Ball, there are guys on OU that don't play well or give up a TD and while we might get frustrated, at the end of the day they always have our support.

Eric Bassey might have a differing opinion.

colleyvillesooner
3/4/2009, 05:04 PM
heh

BoulderSooner79
3/4/2009, 07:48 PM
I'm one of the few totally in favor of the horse-collar penalty. But I refer to it as the Joey Browner rule; that guy was breaking legs with horse collar tackles before Roy Williams was playing Pop Warner ball. And Browner was from either 'SC or ND, so he's easy to hate :P

BornandBred
3/5/2009, 08:46 AM
Horse-collar is a good rule. The facemask was implemented to prevent injury, as was this one. How many legs have been broken from this kind of tackle? It's not necessarily dirty, just too hard on the person getting tackled. I think more than anything the pad design should be changed. But, until then, this rule must stand.

I hope Roy leaves so that I can return to rooting for whatever team is playing against the Cowboys.

Jello Biafra
3/5/2009, 10:42 AM
http://imagecache5.art.com/p/LRG/10/1060/7LVL000Z/green-bay-packers-helmet-logo.jpg

We need helllllllllllllllp on defense! :(

you need more than just help on defense....

i think TRRW has been a victim of the defense he is in. the black and blue division is where he needs to be because no matter what, no matter what time of year, every offense will attempt to establish the run early and often....his best game is stopping the run. period.

badger
3/5/2009, 10:50 AM
you need more than just help on defense...

I hope you are not suggesting that the Packers are not a good team, because that is NOT COOL in the badger book of "Packers are awesome in all regards, regardless of what reality actually is."

I am merely suggesting that the Packers could use a good (SOONER!) strong safety and I would welcome a (SOONER) strong safety of his caliber to the storied, tradition-strong program of Green Bay, much akin to the storied, tradition-strong program at OU, where he started his @$$ kicking career off.

Jello Biafra
3/5/2009, 10:54 AM
I hope you are not suggesting that the Packers are not a good team, because that is NOT COOL in the badger book of "Packers are awesome in all regards, regardless of what reality actually is."

I am merely suggesting that the Packers could use a good (SOONER!) strong safety and I would welcome a (SOONER) strong safety of his caliber to the storied, tradition-strong program of Green Bay, much akin to the storied, tradition-strong program at OU, where he started his @$$ kicking career off.

seeing as how we lost ours to medical retirement at the end of the season, I am suggesting he would be a better fit in the town that actually invented professional football ;)

plus he could jump in line with the sooner themed defense already in place. ;)

ouleaf
3/5/2009, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure Roy can ever be an effective Safety anymore. He needs to switch it up to LB. He's always been more effective up near the Line anyways. Help stop the run and hopefully blow up some crossing slot WR's or TE's.

soonerfan28
3/5/2009, 11:02 AM
Seahawks have some interest in TRRW.

Scott D
3/5/2009, 02:30 PM

ok baj I'll bite. Why would you bench Aaron Rouse who took the starting job from Atari Bigby?

badger
3/5/2009, 02:42 PM
ok baj I'll bite. Why would you bench Aaron Rouse who took the starting job from Atari Bigby?

I dunno... Atari IS a pretty cool first name to have!

For any fellow Packer fans in the hizzouse, they showed Sept. 10, 1992 at home vs. the Bengals a few nights ago (Monday I think). It was before Mike Holmgren put on 50 lbs. Favre looked SO YOUNG! It was a wonderful showing for NFL Network to have and totally work the extra whatever we pay for cable every month.

Ok... have I succeeded in changing the subject so that people don't ask me those type of Packer personnel questions again... hmm... time will tell, I guess... :O

Statalyzer
3/5/2009, 04:36 PM
Let's just hope wherever he ends up has an understanding of his style and strengths.

In other words, you hope he signs with a team who wants to play him at LB?

He's just not a good cover guy. In fact, right now he's a really bad cover guy. It was never his strength, but he was a ridiculous badass at OU and a legit pro bowler for most of his time with Dallas because of his run support qualities and because he made up for his lack of coverage speed by being in the right place at the right time, watching the QBs eyes, etc, and still seemed to pick up tons of picks and deflections.

But now it just looks like he's totally lost in coverage and even an average tight end can blow past him. Plus he seems to be going for the big highlight hit all the time & often just misses the tackle.