PDA

View Full Version : Your Team in Other Conferences

Sooner04
3/3/2009, 02:19 PM
A text message to my good friend, TopDawg, got me thinking of this topic. This pertains to college basketball only, considering I don't give two ****s about anyone in college football other than OU.

ACC - North Carolina: beautiful colors.
Pac 10 - Washington: love Seattle, and love their colors too. Great arena.
Big East - Providence: It was 1997, and his name was God Shammgod.
SEC - Vanderbilt
Big 10 - Northwestern
WCC - San Diego
Miscellaneous - UNLV: for my man, Tark.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2009, 02:30 PM
ACC-North Carolina. Simply for Sam Perkins
Pac-10-Washington. Being that Washington was the closest D-1 program growing up, you just kind of liked them.
Big East-Used to be Villanova until Scottie Reynolds. Will probably be 'Nova again once he leaves.
SEC-Alabama. Duh.
Big 10-Iowa.
Mountain West-San Diego State. Both parents hold degrees from SDSU.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2009, 02:30 PM
And I don't know that I'd call Hec Ed a great arena.

8timechamps
3/3/2009, 02:43 PM
Good question...

ACC - NC State (as much as I like NC's colors, 1990 made me hate them)
Pac 10 - California (Became a semi fan when Tony Gonzalez played at Cal)
Big East - Cincinnati (Thanks to "Nick the Quick", although I couldn't stand him in the NBA)
SEC - Tennessee (Both my parents are grads of UT. They've sucked until recently)
Big 10 - Illinois (Always liked the old school Illini logo)
WCC - Loyola Marymount (Hank Gathers/Bo Kimble, left handed free throws)
Misc. - Bradley (went on a trip to Illinois as a kid, went by the campus...liked 'em ever since).

Sooner04
3/3/2009, 02:49 PM
And I don't know that I'd call Hec Ed a great arena.
I loved the old fieldhouse atmosphere when we went walking through there before the football game in September. I've always noticed how loud it was on TV too.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2009, 03:09 PM
Huh. I guess my most prevalent memory of Hec Ed was at the 1988 Goodwill Games boxing tournament and the place being a freaking oven.

badger
3/3/2009, 03:14 PM
Wisconsin and Marquette (which is in Milwaukee) and occasionally UWGB (stands for Univ. of Wisc. - Green Bay), should they make the tourney.

I am also a fan of Tulsa and ORU come tourney time.

EDIT: I also like Washington State, which is coached by Tony Bennett, the son of former Wisconsin coach Dick Bennett

Sooner04
3/3/2009, 03:21 PM
Huh. I guess my most prevalent memory of Hec Ed was at the 1988 Goodwill Games boxing tournament and the place being a freaking oven.
MASSIVE overhaul of the joint per the museum located inside. The old pictures did not make it seem very appealing, but I think they gutted the place about the time Bank of America bought the naming rights.

Proof! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hec_Edmundson_Pavilion)

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2009, 04:32 PM
Well there you go. I haven't been back since 1988-not because I was upset about the venue or anything, I'm just rarely in Seattle during basketball season.

I did get a chance to say hello to Romar and exchange a couple of words with him right before the OU-Washington game this year. sb93 can confirm-our tailgate spot was right next to Hec Ed and Romar walked right by us.

picasso
3/3/2009, 04:34 PM
meh

ACC - Georgia Tech since the Mark Price days.
Pac 10 - Arizona State, my bro in law played there and how can you forget Arthur Thomas from Booker T. Tulsa.
Big East - it was something beautiful in early - mid 80's. Gotta go with Georgetown.
SEC - Kentucky, I hate 'em but I have a golfing buddy from there.
Big 10 - Michigan State

Miscellaneous - old school Memphis State.

oh, was this about uniforms?

yermom
3/3/2009, 05:12 PM
Well there you go. I haven't been back since 1988-not because I was upset about the venue or anything, I'm just rarely in Seattle during basketball season.

I did get a chance to say hello to Romar and exchange a couple of words with him right before the OU-Washington game this year. sb93 can confirm-our tailgate spot was right next to Hec Ed and Romar walked right by us.

Brett? weird.

only Tulsa

sooner2b09
3/3/2009, 05:15 PM
ACC - Wake Forest, no reason really just like them better than anyone else in that conference
Pac-10 - UCLA, I love California and always wanted to go to UCLA when I was little. And I met John Wooden on an airplane about 5 years ago, amazing man.
Big East - Georgetown also a college I wanted to go to, beautiful campus, just an old college feel.
SEC - I guess if I had to chose one it would be Alabama.
Big 10 - Indiana, my whole family is from Indiana including me. Nothing beats going to see a Basketball game on a cold night at Assembly Hall.
Miscellaneous - Gonzaga, always liked them since I was little

OUstud
3/3/2009, 05:18 PM
ACC: Wake
Pac 10: ASU
Big East: Cincy
SEC: Auburn
Big 10: Penn State
Misc: VMI, cause of their style of play

soonervegas
3/3/2009, 09:10 PM
I do not have a favorite team for each conference but:

Illinois
Georgetown
Georgia Tech

Always get a little extra attention from me as a viewer and casual fan.

AllAboutThe'O'
3/3/2009, 11:07 PM
ACC: Georgia Tech; loved the Bobby Cremins coached teams in the '80s and early '90s. I also don't hate Duke as much as I used to; perhaps because of Capel.
Pac 10: Washington State and Oregon State now that Obama's bro in law is in charge.
Big East: Cincinnati, though it's not been the same since Huggins left.
SEC: Arkansas; grew up a huge Razorback fan and went to school there.
Big 10: Illinois, gotta love the pride of Okay, Okla., Lou Do Henson. I also kind of liked Indiana when The General was there; hated them when KS took over.
Misc: Maybe the regional schools like Tulsa, La. Tech, Arkansas-Little Rock (their head coach is someone I knew back when I was working in Texas and is a great guy) and Missouri State.

CincySooner
3/4/2009, 09:36 AM
ACC: Duke (I know, crucify me) - they have the most involved student section in basketball. Tell me you wouldn't want to go see a Duke home game sometime...

Pac10: beats me... uh Washington?

Big East: Cincinnati - I live here, so what can I do? Also, I'll never forget Kenyon Martin blocking a shot against OU in 98 or 99 and sending the ball about 5 rows deep into the stands.

SEC: meh... I like to root against Tennessee. I dunno why, I just do.

Big10/11: Michigan State - again, great commitment from their fans. and the giant green 'S' is cool looking.

Misc: Xavier - I know they have an in-town rivalry with Cincy, but I coach one of their club-level sports.
Tulsa and ORU - for obvious reasons

NormanPride
3/4/2009, 11:48 AM
ACC: Wake Forest - I've got some family that are huge Wake fans, so I secretly cheer for them as well.

Big East: I guess I'd cheer for South Florida, because Lee Roy was their AD for a while.

Big 10: Hmm... Wisconsin, I guess, for my wife. I just have never cared about Big 10 athletics.

Pac 10: Arizona - no real reason, I just followed them a bit when I was still a young'un.

Mid-Major: Tulsa! For obvious reasons. :)

Spanish Sooner
3/4/2009, 12:30 PM
ACC: Boston College-I tend to pull for the catholic schools
SEC: Arkansas-Only SEC school that hasn't completely pissed me off yet
Big East-Marquette-old room mate goes to law school there
Big 10: Wisconsin-I like teams in red
Pac 10: UCLA-like the powder blue and gold
CUSA: all of them really, but I tend to lean to Tulsa above the pack
WCC: Pepperdine-Family reasons

Collier11
3/4/2009, 12:45 PM
ACC - Duke, yes I root for Duke and it all honestly goes back to Capel, I used to love him when he played for Duke
Pac 10 - not a big fan of many of the teams but I remember the whole deal when Lute Olsens wife died so I kind of pulled for Zona at times
Big East - I used to pull for Seton Hall back in the day, now I like Louisville cus of Pitino
SEC - Vandy, I pulled for them big time last yr during their run
Big 10 - Mich St, I like Izzo and the way his teams play
WCC - I got pulled into the whole Gonzaga deal back in the late 90's, I still remember that game against Zona that went triple OT I believe
Misc. - Missouri St, I lived in Missouri when they were pretty good and still follow them. I loved Vermont during the run that they have, any team that makes a run like that

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 12:51 PM
I've always been a fan of Duke and Tulsa. Duke because I grew up watching them in the early 90's with Laettner, Hurley, Hill and even Cherokee Parks. I remember my brother always wearing his Duke Apex jacket.

SoonerAcesUp
3/4/2009, 05:51 PM
ACC: North Carolina

A-10: Xavier

Big East: Syracuse

Big Ten: Indiana, loved Michigan during the Fab Five days

Conf USA: Tulsa really enjoyed those tournament runs during the days of Shea Seals

MWC: UNLV "The Shark" and the Runnin' Rebels

PAC-10: If I had to pick one I'd go with Arizona

SEC: Arkansas Loved the "40 Minutes of Hell"

Misc: One team I'll never forget is Loyola Marymount with Hank Geathers and Bo Kimble. When I saw the video of Hank collasping on the floor it scared me to death b/c I just couldn't believe a guy like that could die so young. They were so fun to watch as they scored over 100 nearly every game.

AZSoonerCat
3/4/2009, 09:19 PM
PAC-10 - Arizona (going on six years of grad school here)
Big-10 - Michigan (from 7 years in Ohio and hating all of the pompous Ohio State fans)
Big East - Cincinnati (read above)
SEC - Tough one, but gotta go with Bama here (lived there for a couple years when I was younger).
MWC - BYU (Both parents are alum)
Misc. Southern Utah (I was an undergrad there when we finally broke Valpo's stranglehold on the old Mid-Con conference and came a 3-pointer from knocking B.C. out of the Tourney)

meoveryouxinfinity
3/4/2009, 10:01 PM
BE- Georgetown

HOYA SAXA!