PDA

View Full Version : low scoring games...who's/what's to blame??

ouwapiti
3/3/2009, 02:06 PM
players are more talented, bigger, stronger etc.....shot clock, 3 point line, media timeouts...........so why are so many college games so low scoring????..at just 2 points per minute you have an 80 point game.......i have an opinion but i want to hear what others think

tommieharris91
3/3/2009, 02:15 PM
Pace. Teams don't play as fast as they used to, especially when it comes to half-court offense.

ouleaf
3/3/2009, 03:02 PM
A lot also has to do with team familiarity/chemistry. Now that guys can jump to the NBA after one year, you aren't gonna have a lot of teams with lineups that consist mostly of JRs and SRs anymore, at least at the major schools anyway.

OUstud
3/3/2009, 05:15 PM
The shot clock is too long.

Readyfor8
3/3/2009, 05:32 PM
If you take 20 seconds per shot clock and shoot 50% from the floor, you are getting 60 points per game. 3 shots every 2 minutes.

3x20=60/2=30x2(assuming the shot is worth 2 points) that is 60 points per game

Seems about average considering 3 pointers and free throws, you should hit 80 per game for an average shooting team at 50%.

Seems right to me.

Frozen Sooner
3/3/2009, 07:01 PM
1. Zone defenses with better athletes.
2. Lack of players who can hit a midrange jumper consistently to bust the zone.
3. Public perception that coaches who stress half-court defense are harder-working or tougher-minded than coaches who stress fast-break offense (ask a bunch of sportswriters who's a better coach-Izzo or Donovan. I bet most say Izzo.) This leads to a situation where defensive coaches get hired to replace coaches who lose control of their teams.
4. The Big Ten
5. Set plays. Coaches keep trying to prove what geniuses they are with millions of crazy set plays instead of letting kids do what they've done since they were 5-play basketball in flow and rhythm.

starclassic tama
3/4/2009, 01:59 AM
frozen pretty much nailed it. that and the simple fact that the college game is a full 8 minutes shorter with an extra 11 seconds on the shot clock, and players still can't shoot.

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 02:51 PM
Any time that you have to actually ask then its automatically the refs fault.

ouwapiti
3/4/2009, 04:48 PM
dang starclassic...i've never thought of it that way....interesting observation

soonerfan......you're right...i DO blame part of it on the officiating.....the game has become so physical that it diminishes skills, in my opinion.......and the officiating is so arbitrary....of course you've always been able to say that but i think its even more so nowadays.......they knock the crap outta each other under the basket and the official somehow doesnt see it