PDA

View Full Version : OK all you weather Knowin Peeps ?

olevetonahill
3/3/2009, 10:16 AM
Right now on the yahoo weather page its saying my current temp is 39 degrees, Ok But what I dont understand is it also says that the High will be 55 with the Low of 41
How in hell can it be 2 degrees colder than the projected low .:confused:

AggieTool
3/3/2009, 10:37 AM
Right now on the yahoo weather page its saying my current temp is 39 degrees, Ok But what I dont understand is it also says that the High will be 55 with the Low of 41

'Cuz Obama's Secretary of Weather is also a tax cheat that can't count?:D

AggieTool
3/3/2009, 10:38 AM

'Cuz Obama's Secretary of Weather is also a tax cheat that can't count?:D

jkjsooner
3/3/2009, 03:44 PM
These guys try so hard to be "right" that they're wrong so much of the time.

For example, here they overestimate the snow totals almost every single time. When they say 6-12 inches there's a good chance we'll get an inch. You know what, if there's a 30% chance that the storm is just going to miss us say 0-12 inches. Quit trying to be right all of the time and instead go with the possibilities/probabilities.

If they say 6-12 inches, then they should have a 5% chance of missing it on each end. If not then expand the damn range.

Ideally they would provide some type of probability distribution or something but I know my bro who works for NWS says that the govt is very strict on the format of their predictions and do not allow this type of analysis.

Sorry, got off topic but this last east coast snow storm (which actually turned out decent) got me all riled up. (I'm a snow lover.)

1890MilesToNorman
3/3/2009, 03:50 PM
The worst forecast I remember was the April Fools day storm back in the late 90's. I was working in Mass and all three networks were saying 3 to 5 inches of snow, we ended up with 20 inches!! My normal 45 minute to an hour commute took close to 4 hours. Even the CEO of this billion dollar company was out shoveling workers cars out of the parking lot. To make matters worse I picked up a spike in my tire about a mile from the house, one lost day and $250 later I was back at work.

Hot Rod
3/3/2009, 04:05 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2FfeOgRx_yU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2FfeOgRx_yU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>