PDA

View Full Version : Capel's an Iba Finalist.

soonerfan28
3/3/2009, 10:10 AM
This from soonersports.com

Capel One of 10 Iba Award Finalists
Third-year OU head coach has led Sooners to country's second best record.

March 2, 2009

ST. LOUIS (USBWA) – The U.S. Basketball Writers Association has announced finalists for the 2009 Henry Iba Award, to be presented to the association's national coach of the year.

Oklahoma's Jeff Capel, who has directed the Sooners to a 26-3 record as of Monday, is one of a trio of Big 12 coaches among the 10 selected as finalists. The others are Missouri's Mike Anderson and Kansas' Bill Self. None of the 10 finalists has ever won the award.

The presentation of this year's award will take place on Friday, April 3 at the USBWA's annual awards breakfast at the downtown Detroit Athletic Club in conjunction with the Men's Final Four. The breakfast will also honor the winner of the Oscar Robertson Trophy, the association's player of the year, as well as the 1979 Michigan State national championship team that was led by Earvin "Magic" Johnson.

The Henry Iba Award is voted on by the entire membership of the association, which consists of nearly 800 journalists. The ballot was distributed to the membership Monday.

The following coaches are finalists for the Henry Iba Award:

Mike Anderson, Missouri
John Calipari, Memphis
Jeff Capel, Oklahoma
Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
Mike Montgomery, California
Stew Morrill, Utah State
Matt Painter, Purdue
Oliver Purnell, Clemson
Bill Self, Kansas
Brad Stevens, Butler

badger
3/3/2009, 10:19 AM
Hmm...

NO:
John Calipari, Memphis
Mike Montgomery, California
Stew Morrill, Utah State
Matt Painter, Purdue
Bill Self, Kansas
Brad Stevens, Butler

Possible:

Mike Anderson, Missouri
Jamie Dixon, Pittsburgh
Oliver Purnell, Clemson

YES:
Jeff Capel, Oklahoma

Aggy jokes aside, give Capel the award, not just for this season, but for the quick rebuilding of a once-NCAA tourney regular.

soonerfan28
3/3/2009, 10:30 AM
I would say that the only reason Self is getting any recognition is because he had to replace so many starters and they've had a better in conference record this year than they had last year. They wouldn't have beaten us if we had Griffin and that will be fixed in a few weeks.

NormanPride
3/3/2009, 10:58 AM
We'll see how it goes when the "Self-destruction" occurs in the tourney. Remember all those years he went out in the first round?

LSUdeek
3/3/2009, 11:56 AM
It's a travesty that Trent Johnson is not on that list.

soonerfan28
3/3/2009, 12:11 PM
Who? Just kidding. He's done a pretty nice job of cleaning up Brady's mess. It's just sad that Brady never did capitalize on the Final Four run.

oumartin
3/3/2009, 12:27 PM
see last night on the ND/Villanova game they were talkin' up Trent Johnson Self and sayin' Self had by far done the best job in the big12.
Not one mention of our beloved Capel

tommieharris91
3/3/2009, 12:44 PM

It's pretty easy to make the turnaround they've made when you play a mid-major schedule.

soonerfan28
3/3/2009, 12:45 PM
I can at least tolerate the talk because he lost 4 or 5 starters from last years team and his team has been able to be pretty successful this year. I know the Aldridge and and Collins contributed grately to that team last year so it's not that far of a leap to think that they would be good this year. It's always the coach that isn't expected to do good that will when the award and not the one who is expected to do good and still goes and does it.

soonerfan28
3/4/2009, 07:01 PM
PTI talked tonight about the fact that Calipari doesn't play anybody. I can understand the argument for well he's done in the tourney, but they don't play anybody during the season then they could into the tourney healthy and they have a high seed so it's usually a easy trip to at least the Elite Eight.

LSUdeek
3/6/2009, 05:59 PM
Who? Just kidding. He's done a pretty nice job of cleaning up Brady's mess. It's just sad that Brady never did capitalize on the Final Four run.

We had both Arthur and Reynolds in for visits. CJB couldn't close the deal...

Augustin went to Texas....

Greg Monroe went to Georgetown....

case closed on CJB.

LSUdeek
3/6/2009, 06:00 PM
It's pretty easy to make the turnaround they've made when you play a mid-major schedule.

Someone already made my Memphis point for me... :mad: