PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaughs speech to CPAC was excellent

85Sooner
3/2/2009, 10:59 AM
Watched it over the weekend. I know there are some here who think he is a big bag of wind but it is worth your time to listen to the speech in its entirety. He uses humor but most importantly common sense and a philosophy that frankly, I don't know how anyone could disagree with.

Anyway, check it out if you have the time.

1890MilesToNorman
3/2/2009, 11:10 AM
Is there a video of it somewhere?

85Sooner
3/2/2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_030209/content/01125106.guest.html

Its long but the content makes it go by quickly.

JohnnyMack
3/2/2009, 11:23 AM
Did he tell the religious right to go jump in the lake? Cause until they break free of the shackles of those nitwits the Republican party won't ever be worth a ****.

1890MilesToNorman
3/2/2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the link, the feed keeps dying but I will try it again later.

85Sooner
3/2/2009, 11:30 AM
Did he tell the religious right to go jump in the lake? Cause until they break free of the shackles of those nitwits the Republican party won't ever be worth a ****.

just listen to it.

JohnnyMack
3/2/2009, 11:35 AM
just listen to it.

I can't listen to the whole thing. I be workin'. I'm catching bits and pieces as I can.

soonerscuba
3/2/2009, 11:54 AM
I made it through the crowd wildly cheering a cable news network, saying liberals wouldn't like to offend Stalin, and the tired "God's house" joke I have heard at least a dozen ways. Pass.

85Sooner
3/2/2009, 01:21 PM
I made it through the crowd wildly cheering a cable news network, saying liberals wouldn't like to offend Stalin, and the tired "God's house" joke I have heard at least a dozen ways. Pass.

The stalin comment was a joke and you should try to take in the substance. I hear alot of people bitch about him and put him down who have never taken the time to listen to him.

Hell even I gave franken and janine a shot before I was able to disagree with them.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2009, 01:27 PM
I find it fascinating that he claims that libs are destroying our constitution and country, yet calls out Obama for his scare tactics.

I realize people eat this **** up, but has he ever been on panel or descussed he views in public in a debate type format. Just wondering.

1890MilesToNorman
3/2/2009, 01:47 PM
I don't think you guys listened to the overall message? If you did, and still have a problem with Rush then you are the problem.

soonerscuba
3/2/2009, 01:47 PM
The stalin comment was a joke and you should try to take in the substance. I hear alot of people bitch about him and put him down who have never taken the time to listen to him.

Hell even I gave franken and janine a shot before I was able to disagree with them.Why would you give them a shot? Franken (for now), Grafalo and Limbaugh are entertainers, nothing more. It's not political discourse, it's entertainment that has no bearing on moving policy forward, or even debate over policy forward. Seriously, I don't want to listen to a DJ lower political discourse in front of a partisan crowd, that doesn't mean I'm closed minded, it means I don't need to regurgitate tripe for the unwashed masses, which is precisely who Limbaugh, et al. appeal to. I know it sounds snobby, but I prefer not to get my political thought from DJs or SNL cast members.

85Sooner
3/2/2009, 02:03 PM
Why would you give them a shot? Franken (for now), Grafalo and Limbaugh are entertainers, nothing more. It's not political discourse, it's entertainment that has no bearing on moving policy forward, or even debate over policy forward. Seriously, I don't want to listen to a DJ lower political discourse in front of a partisan crowd, that doesn't mean I'm closed minded, it means I don't need to regurgitate tripe for the unwashed masses, which is precisely who Limbaugh, et al. appeal to. I know it sounds snobby, but I prefer not to get my political thought from DJs or SNL cast members.

Fair enough however I would add that Franken, Garalo, and SNL together don't touch near the population that rush does. The speech was simply about the United States, history and a philisophical belief. Hope you'll change your mind and give it a shot some time.

85Sooner
3/2/2009, 02:06 PM
I find it fascinating that he claims that libs are destroying our constitution and country, yet calls out Obama for his scare tactics.

I realize people eat this **** up, but has he ever been on panel or descussed he views in public in a debate type format. Just wondering.

Actually, yes, nightline comes to mind. Did you listen to the speech?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/2/2009, 02:34 PM
Actually, yes, nightline comes to mind. Did you listen to the speech?Haha. They're holding up the garlic wreathes, even as we speak.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2009, 03:52 PM
Actually, yes, nightline comes to mind. Did you listen to the speech?

Don't remember the nightline episode, my bad...any transcripts of that show? Just wondered if he opens himself up for debates and panel discussions is all, not his usual radio show were he controls the message in and out.

Yes, I read the transcript after you posted. Still think his slamming Obama for fearmongering is rich, coke head meet oxycotin head.

I don't think you guys listened to the overall message? If you did, and still have a problem with Rush then you are the problem.

meh, populist rhetoric is what it is...either from the left or right.

OklahomaTuba
3/2/2009, 04:35 PM
Funny, when Rush is "fear mongering" I don't recall the S&P 500 dropping like a rock for two weeks after the fact, like it does when Oblama speaks.

batonrougesooner
3/2/2009, 04:44 PM
It was the best articulated argument for conservatism and against liberalism I've heard in a long time.

JohnnyMack
3/2/2009, 04:50 PM
It was the best articulated argument for conservatism and against liberalism I've heard in a long time.

The problem as I see it is that certain special interests have hijacked the Republican party and steered it away from the kind of conservatism folks like SicEm long for.

If Rush had any balls, he'd disassociate himself from the Republican party and make a true push towards conservatism.

GrapevineSooner
3/2/2009, 04:53 PM
The CPAC bunch is so marginal and they don't even know it.

NYC Poke
3/2/2009, 04:57 PM
The CPAC bunch is so marginal and they don't even know it.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Speakers last year included President George W. Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, and Senator and presidential candidate John McCain.

85Sooner
3/2/2009, 04:58 PM
The problem as I see it is that certain special interests have hijacked the Republican party and steered it away from the kind of conservatism folks like SicEm long for.

If Rush had any balls, he'd disassociate himself from the Republican party and make a true push towards conservatism.

He nearly did today on the radio.

3/2/2009, 06:20 PM
If Rush had any balls, he'd disassociate himself from the Republican party and make a true push towards conservatism.Rush has always pointed out and criticized non-conservative behavior within the republican party, and those who are responsible for it. The hope is that the party will gain enough cajones to speak out strongly against Obama himself. Many republican politicians seem to be able to criticize Reid, Pelosi, Barney Frank, etc., but are afraid of the consequences of chastizing the Anointed One. Of course, there's no hope at all for the re-Americanization of the Democrats.

SoonerProphet
3/2/2009, 06:30 PM
I have a hard time with his definition of conservatism. As I said his populism is a bit of rub. Not to mention an activist for. policy, lock em' up and throw away the key mentality, drug war rhetoric, and the debasement of the opposition just doesn't sit well with me. It the government can solve problems or it can't, to many of today's "conservatives" view the government as a tool to help their pet projects while rejecting "progressives" equal view as government the patron. I'll stick with the likes of Joe Sobran, Russell Kirk, Paul Craig Roberts, and Andrew Bacevich as contemporary writers I tend to agree with.

XingTheRubicon
3/3/2009, 10:44 AM
I used to have problems with Rush because he was so blindly biased against Bill Clinton for 8 years. Even when Clinton signed in the welfare reform act, Rush cut him no slack. I guess it was just part of his show. Lately, Rush seems to be a little more serious and dialed in. His address to CPAC was one of the best speeches I've ever heard. I'm definately not a fan of his and his voice can annoying at times, but this wasn't his usual shtick. I honestly think 50 years from now, Rush's CPAC speech will be canonized.

SoonerProphet
3/3/2009, 12:02 PM
I used to have problems with Rush because he was so blindly biased against Bill Clinton for 8 years. Even when Clinton signed in the welfare reform act, Rush cut him no slack. I guess it was just part of his show. Lately, Rush seems to be a little more serious and dialed in. His address to CPAC was one of the best speeches I've ever heard. I'm definately not a fan of his and his voice can annoying at times, but this wasn't his usual shtick. I honestly think 50 years from now, Rush's CPAC speech will be canonized.

Didn't he misquote the Consitution with the Declaration of Independence. I guess if we canonize this speech our laws and traditions will all but have perished.

soonerscuba
3/3/2009, 12:37 PM
Which of Rush's three marriages was the most sacred? Do zero tolerance drug laws apply to Oxycotin? I'm not sure that an uneducated, grandiose, picture of self indulgence is a man I would like to present as the leader of the Republican intellectual movement at this time. If the Republicans keep down this path they will be a regional party at best for the foreseeable future, which is a shame because we need an intellectual opposition right now capable of putting forth ideas and creative energy. While Rush may be good for the masses, the masses don't drive political discourse and policy formulation. I would be very leery of this development if were a wonkish conservative.

SoonerProphet
3/3/2009, 01:07 PM
Which of Rush's three marriages was the most sacred? Do zero tolerance drug laws apply to Oxycotin? I'm not sure that an uneducated, grandiose, picture of self indulgence is a man I would like to present as the leader of the Republican intellectual movement at this time. If the Republicans keep down this path they will be a regional party at best for the foreseeable future, which is a shame because we need an intellectual opposition right now capable of putting forth ideas and creative energy. While Rush may be good for the masses, the masses don't drive political discourse and policy formulation. I would be very leery of this development if were a wonkish conservative.

While not a fan of David Frum, an article he wrote echoes these sentiments. I do not think many intellectual conservatives are comfortable with him as a leading figure. As a self-defined paleo I cringe at the notion of Rush having input on policy.

With his private plane and his cigars, his history of drug dependency and his personal bulk, not to mention his tangled marital history, Rush is a walking stereotype of self-indulgence - exactly the image that Barack Obama most wants to affix to our philosophy and our party. And we're cooperating! Those images of crowds of CPACers cheering Rush's every rancorous word - we'll be seeing them rebroadcast for a long time.

from Frum

XingTheRubicon
3/3/2009, 01:30 PM

Ol' pillpopper just signed 38 million/year deal with a 100 million dollar signing bonus. He works about 80 hours a week. People like that tend to have marital issues and sleeping problems. See A-Rod, Elvis and anyone else that was one of the highest paid entertainers of their generation. I'm not excusing it, nor am I condoning it. I'm just saying I'll run Rush down as soon as I've walked in his shoes.

I never, or almost never, denigrate Americans with unparalled talent and somewhat limitless success. It makes you look like a naive twit.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2009, 01:35 PM
Ol' pillpopper just signed 38 million/year deal with a 100 million dollar signing bonus. He works about 80 hours a week. People like that tend to have marital issues and sleeping problems. See A-Rod, Elvis and anyone else that was one of the highest paid entertainers of their generation. I'm not excusing it, nor am I condoning it. I'm just saying I'll run Rush down as soon as I've walked in his shoes.

I never, or almost never, denigrate Americans with unparalled talent and somewhat limitless success. It makes you look like a naive twit.

So his un-Jesus-like quest for wealth and fame excuses his other foibles? I thought Republicans were the party of Jesus and clean living? Surely you at least see the hypocrisy.

soonerscuba
3/3/2009, 01:53 PM

I never, or almost never, denigrate Americans with unparalled talent and somewhat limitless success. It makes you look like a naive twit.I don't hate Rush, but you hit the nail on the head, he's an entertainer. I have no problem with his salary, or his excesses, but I think those things are circumvent to being the intellectual thrust of a political movement that is in dire need of middle class and minority voters. Rush doesn't have unparalled talent, he's a mere instigator with little to add in terms of definitive discourse. The results from Operation Chaos are proof in the pudding as to his influence. Plus, I have no qualms in denigrating a thrice married addict that operates on the ad hominem attack against those with very same issues, regardelss of their wealth.

XingTheRubicon
3/3/2009, 02:07 PM
So his un-Jesus-like quest for wealth and fame excuses his other foibles? I thought Republicans were the party of Jesus and clean living? Surely you at least see the hypocrisy.

No, it doesn't excuse it.

Johnny Carson, Elvis, the Beatles, A-Rod, Joe Namath, Larry King, Rush Limbaugh, Oprah, Jack Nicholson, Tom Cruise, and on and on....

All of those people were the highest paid entertainer on Earth at their profession at one point in time. I think there's about 40 divorces from that list and enough drugs and latent homosexuality to kill and scarve Orca.

I thought it was a phenomenal speech.

The fact that it seems hard for a billionaire to find true love didn't really feel relevant at the time.

XingTheRubicon
3/3/2009, 02:19 PM
I don't hate Rush, but you hit the nail on the head, he's an entertainer. I have no problem with his salary, or his excesses, but I think those things are circumvent to being the intellectual thrust of a political movement that is in dire need of middle class and minority voters. Rush doesn't have unparalled talent, he's a mere instigator with little to add in terms of definitive discourse. The results from Operation Chaos are proof in the pudding as to his influence. Plus, I have no qualms in denigrating a thrice married addict that operates on the ad hominem attack against those with very same issues, regardelss of their wealth.

Four years from now if the middle class is living in a box, it will not matter what Rush says or said...even though he will be proven right. The weirdest part of this whole thing is I don't even like Rush and I have never listened to his radio show since 2000. I just thought the speech was great and agreed with every word. I almost hate typing that, but it is what it is.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2009, 02:24 PM
If Rush Limbaugh is moving towards actual relevance in the Republican party instead of being a fringe type mouthpiece then the party needs to take a serious look at what it stands for. But I guess the Al Franken did manage to get elected to the Senate with much of the same act.

XingTheRubicon
3/3/2009, 02:48 PM
If Rush Limbaugh is moving towards actual relevance in the Republican party instead of being a fringe type mouthpiece then the party needs to take a serious look at what it stands for. But I guess the Al Franken did manage to get elected to the Senate with much of the same act.

I don't think Rush is any more or less relevant to the R party now than he was in the early '90s. He didn't stop Clinton from 2 terms in the height of his popularity. It was just a good speech. He even harshly bashed certain "republicans."

Have you listened to it yet, JM?

Turn it on. Pretend you have or have had a tractor and really listen. That's what I had to do.

From someone who has never been a Limbaugh fan, and has bashed Rush on this board, I was truly impressed.....and unless Jersey Mike's puts Oxycontin in their #2 sub, I think I mean that.

yermom
3/3/2009, 03:25 PM
i read the speech. it sounds like the other crap he puts forth. he gives value judgements as fact and inflames people.

Obama being elected means he can write his own checks, loads of material. just like Clinton.

i'm wondering how it is going to affect Jon Stewart in the long run. but at least most people realize that he's an entertainer. most people...

JohnnyMack
3/3/2009, 03:36 PM
I don't think Rush is any more or less relevant to the R party now than he was in the early '90s. He didn't stop Clinton from 2 terms in the height of his popularity. It was just a good speech. He even harshly bashed certain "republicans."

Have you listened to it yet, JM?

Turn it on. Pretend you have or have had a tractor and really listen. That's what I had to do.

From someone who has never been a Limbaugh fan, and has bashed Rush on this board, I was truly impressed.....and unless Jersey Mike's puts Oxycontin in their #2 sub, I think I mean that.

It's on now. He's talking about succeeding. And clapping.

The thing is I'm a pretty conservative fellow when it comes to the financial side. I work hard for what I have and like everyone else I want to keep more of what I make. I was actually a Young Republican at OU my freshman year in 93. My big problem is that I believe the religious right hijacked the Republican party long ago. I think for the last 20 years or so it's been difficult to identify yourself with the Republican if you're not a Christian. Since I don't subscribe to an organized religion, the Republican Party doesn't seem at all approachable. I truly hope that conservatism can separate itself from the current Republican party or at the very least that Republicans could see fit to remake itself in an image that's less about fighting against abortion and gay rights and more about issues that matter, then maybe it would be more appealing.

3/3/2009, 05:11 PM
Which of Rush's three marriages was the most sacred? Do zero tolerance drug laws apply to Oxycotin? I'm not sure that an uneducated, grandiose, picture of self indulgence is a man I would like to present as the leader of the Republican intellectual movement at this time. If the Republicans keep down this path they will be a regional party at best for the foreseeable future, which is a shame because we need an intellectual opposition right now capable of putting forth ideas and creative energy. While Rush may be good for the masses, the masses don't drive political discourse and policy formulation. I would be very leery of this development if were a wonkish conservative.haha, You and all the other socialists are scared shi*less he will re-energize the conservative movement, and somehow, (even though elections might be permanently corrupted for the leftists) bring them back to power.

Condescending Sooner
3/3/2009, 05:12 PM
It's on now. He's talking about succeeding. And clapping.

The thing is I'm a pretty conservative fellow when it comes to the financial side. I work hard for what I have and like everyone else I want to keep more of what I make. I was actually a Young Republican at OU my freshman year in 93. My big problem is that I believe the religious right hijacked the Republican party long ago. I think for the last 20 years or so it's been difficult to identify yourself with the Republican if you're not a Christian. Since I don't subscribe to an organized religion, the Republican Party doesn't seem at all approachable. I truly hope that conservatism can separate itself from the current Republican party or at the very least that Republicans could see fit to remake itself in an image that's less about fighting against abortion and gay rights and more about issues that matter, then maybe it would be more appealing.

You don't have a conservative bone in your body. If you did, it would sicken you to drool over Obama the way you do.

3/3/2009, 05:13 PM

I never, or almost never, denigrate Americans with unparalled talent and somewhat limitless success. It makes you look like a naive twit.lol, har har

JohnnyMack
3/3/2009, 06:10 PM
You don't have a conservative bone in your body. If you did, it would sicken you to drool over Obama the way you do.

OK. Since you know so much about me.

Condescending Sooner
3/3/2009, 06:18 PM
OK. Since you know so much about me.

It's fairly obvious from your posting history.

JohnnyMack
3/3/2009, 06:30 PM
You're absolutely right. I just love getting my Government checks and can't wait until the day when the right and just Lord Obama purges this land of the evils of capitalism. I for one welcome our new communist/terrorist overlord.

soonerscuba
3/3/2009, 06:32 PM
Remember when Condescesnding Sooner started multiple threads about why high gas prices were the fault of Congressional Democrats? Good times.

Condescending Sooner
3/4/2009, 09:58 AM
Remember when Condescesnding Sooner started multiple threads about why high gas prices were the fault of Congressional Democrats? Good times.

Find one. Never happened.

You think you can just spout out bold lies and people should believe you?

BudSooner
3/4/2009, 10:20 AM
WHOA WHO WHO....Timeout guys.............

http://a0.vox.com/6a00e398affe62000300e398b01ea00003-500pi

Heh, I thought this thread needed an Ali timeout....you may continue. :D