PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett charged with public intoxication

JLEW1818
3/1/2009, 11:12 PM
Go ahead and start the off-season count.

Associated Press

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Fayetteville police arrested Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett on a public intoxication charge early Sunday outside of a nightspot near campus.

The 20-year-old Mallett was booked into the Washington County Jail at 3:47 a.m. after Fayetteville police arrested him on Dickson Street. Mallett was released on bond about an hour later.

Coach Bobby Petrino said Mallett would be disciplined.

Mallett is seen as the likely starter for the Razorbacks in 2009. He sat out 2008 after transferring from Michigan.

"I am very disappointed that Ryan Mallett put himself in a situation that doesn't reflect positively on him or on our program," Petrino said. "All members of the Razorback football team have a responsibility to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner on and off the field. While the legal process has not yet taken its course in this matter, Ryan will face internal team disciplinary action for not representing the Razorbacks in a way that is required of our student-athletes."

Spring practice starts on March 24.

The 6-foot-7 Mallett, who played in 11 games for the Wolverines in 2007, has three years of eligibility remaining.

Mallett was 61-of-141 for 892 yards with seven touchdown passes and five interceptions at Michigan, filling in for Chad Henne.

Arkansas had tried to convince the NCAA to allow Mallett to play in 2008, but was turned down.

Mallett went to high school on the Texas side of Texarkana, but lived on the Arkansas side.

Casey Dick started most games for the Razorbacks last season. His brother, Nathan Dick, started the last two games in 2008. He was granted a release to transfer from Arkansas after the season, a further indication that Mallett was expected under center for the Razorbacks.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3944373

tommieharris91
3/2/2009, 12:54 AM
What the hell is he doing on the bar street in Fayetteville? I'm pretty sure everyone in town knows what the guy looks like.

OUDoc
3/2/2009, 09:19 AM
Arkansas fans better hope he doesn't work at a car dealership, too.

badger
3/2/2009, 09:36 AM
Dear Ryan,

Welcome to college, son!

If you are receiving this letter, we have just discovered that you fell to the college temptations of alcohol, women and even dwuggz, but we all know you're smart enough to stay away and not be a repeat offender.

Wait, who are we kidding? Of COURSE you're not going to stay away from ALL of them! However, we are hoping that you are smart enough to...

1- Not drink in public
2- Use a condom
3- Not smoke pot/crack/etc in public

If you are not smart enough to drink/smoke in public or not smart enough to use a condom this time around, perhaps we shouldn't have recruited you in the first place! After all, this is higher education, not high school.

Love,
Arkansas

PS: Ooooooo, pig sooie! (whatever the eff that means)

AllAboutThe'O'
3/3/2009, 11:12 PM
Dear Ryan,

Welcome to college, son!

If you are receiving this letter, we have just discovered that you fell to the college temptations of alcohol, women and even dwuggz, but we all know you're smart enough to stay away and not be a repeat offender.

Wait, who are we kidding? Of COURSE you're not going to stay away from ALL of them! However, we are hoping that you are smart enough to...

1- Not drink in public
2- Use a condom
3- Not smoke pot/crack/etc in public

If you are not smart enough to drink/smoke in public or not smart enough to use a condom this time around, perhaps we shouldn't have recruited you in the first place! After all, this is higher education, not high school.

Love,
Arkansas

PS: Ooooooo, pig sooie! (whatever the eff that means)

Actually, it's Wooooooo! Pig! Sooie!;)

That being said, from someone who also follows the Hogs, it's a dumb dumb mistake by Mallett, especially for someone being touted as a genuine program-changer. But if he learns from his mistake, accepts his punishment and puts it all behind him, that puts him closer on the road to redemption. If I'm not mistaken, when he first came to Ole Miss, Eli Manning was busted for a similar charge and he learned from his mistake and eventually became a No. 1 draft pick and an eventual Super Bowl champion.

TheGodfather889
3/6/2009, 04:04 AM
He shouldn't have even been charged with anything. If I made the laws I would lower the drinking age to 18 and get rid of public intoxication laws so I don't have to read about this and so there aren't more dumb reasons and laws that can put you in jail. It's just mere puritanism that permeates American law. Leave the kid alone and report some newsworthy news.

Extra Point
3/8/2009, 04:39 PM
What the hell is he doing on the bar street in Fayetteville? I'm pretty sure everyone in town knows what the guy looks like.

He was waiting in line to get into an 18 and up club.

If I were a coach in Fayetteville, I would FORBID any of my players from Dickson Street given the F'ville police. It is set up as a profit center for the city and athletes are seen as trophies.

ashley
3/13/2009, 09:18 AM
When did college football players start drinking?