PDA

View Full Version : KU is running MU out of the gym.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/1/2009, 02:54 PM
We need to bring our A game Wed night because we are going to be playing a wounded MU team.

8timechamps
3/1/2009, 02:55 PM
KU 45
Mizzou 19

at the half.

Maybe Mizzou isn't as good as I thought.

8timechamps
3/1/2009, 02:56 PM
Heh...I said "Taken to the woodshed"

Rock Hard Corn Frog
3/1/2009, 03:16 PM
Heh...I said "Taken to the woodshed"

That works too.

I don't think it makes the game any easier in Columbia. I still expect MU to play us tough and try to come after us with full court pressure. If we come to play we will handle it fine. They still will be dangerous.

It is apparent though that MU is NOT a top 15 caliber team. They are an athletic team that can take advantage of opponent mistakes with their system and win big if you can't respond, especially at home. If they don't get at least 20 points from transition though then they don't win.

JLEW1818
3/1/2009, 03:47 PM
dude the big 12 tourney should be insane

badger
3/2/2009, 08:35 AM
Goodbye, last-chance-at-share-of-Big-12-regular-season-title WHICH NormanPride reminds me doesn't matter BECAUSE the only way we get a solid seeding is through the Big 12 Tourney Championship and not the Regular Season THEREFORE I am looking forward to the revenge game. :D

FroggyStyle22
3/2/2009, 09:03 AM
How great would it be for KU to beat us in the conference tourney and then we come back and beat them in the NCAA finals. Not that I ever want to see OU lose (except to my frogs), but it would be a little bit of justice. JMHO

KingBarry
3/2/2009, 09:24 AM
Goodbye, last-chance-at-share-of-Big-12-regular-season-title WHICH NormanPride reminds me doesn't matter BECAUSE the only way we get a solid seeding is through the Big 12 Tourney Championship and not the Regular Season THEREFORE I am looking forward to the revenge game. :D

Badger, not to quibble, but isn't the Big XII Tournament Champion crowned AFTER the NCAA seedings are announced? If so, the key is to get to the Championship Game, not necessarily to win it.

Though winning it would be good, too.

soonerfan28
3/2/2009, 10:07 AM
Badger, not to quibble, but isn't the Big XII Tournament Champion crowned AFTER the NCAA seedings are announced? If so, the key is to get to the Championship Game, not necessarily to win it.

Not this year. The champion will be crowned on Saturday and then the selections are made on Sunday.

Wednesday, March 11
G1 #8 Seed vs #9 Seed 11:30 a.m.
G2 #5 Seed vs #12 Seed 2:00 p.m.
G3 #7 Seed vs #10 Seed 6:00 p.m.
G4 #6 Seed vs #11 Seed 8:20 p.m.
Big 12 Network

Thursday, March 12
G5 #1 Seed vs G1 Winner 11:30 a.m.
G6 #4 Seed vs G2 Winner 2:00 p.m.
G7 #2 Seed vs G3 Winner 6:00 p.m.
G8 #3 Seed vs G4 Winner 8:20 p.m.
ESPN2

Friday, March 13
G9 G5 Winner vs G6 Winner 6:00 p.m.
G10 G7 Winner vs G8 Winner 8:20 p.m.
Big 12 Network

Saturday, March 14
G11 G9 Winner vs G10 Winner 5:00 p.m.
ESPN

badger
3/2/2009, 11:46 AM

Quibble away, your highness ;)

OK, upon reading 28's response to the King's, looks like it DOES land early this year, which I fully endorse, because I'd rather watch OU beat Kansas than Dickie V b!tch and moan about the 5 most deserving teams that will now land in the NIT instead of the NCAA's... but NOW I can watch BOTH!

If we have a shortage of threads on the basketball forum during the rest of the season (hahahahahahahaha), I would be concerned that ending the tourney a day early (is this a new NCAA requirement?) would make more-recently-declared-champions have a better chance at a better seed, unless this is what all conferences are now doing. So, perhaps a discussion in changes to the postseason tourneys is in order?

In any event, I am hopeful that OU, Tulsa, and Oral Roberts represent the state very well in the NCAA's. As for OSU, whatev :rolleyes:

soonerfan28
3/2/2009, 01:10 PM
This from Dave Sittler of the Tulsa World last week.

ARE YOU among the heartsick Oklahoma basketball fans who are desperate for a bit of good news about their favorite team, which can't seem to catch a danged break these days?

No problem. I have just what the doctor ordered for what ails you: May 24, 2007.

Keep the faith OU hoopheads, because nearly two years after the fact, that date may go down in Sooner history. It could be remembered as the day that saved OU's once-promising season from unraveling because of one bad break after another.

On that Thursday, at the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs, Colo., the Big 12 Conference's board of directors finally agreed to move the men's basketball tournament championship game from Sunday to Saturday, beginning with the 2008-09 season.

The league's leaders acquiesced after a decade of begging from coaches. The move to Saturday was made for one gigantic reason — to give the NCAA Tournament's selection committee more time to evaluate Big 12 teams as it selects, seeds and brackets the 65-team tournament field.

For the first 12 years of the Big 12 basketball tournament, holding the title game on Selection Sunday meant it ended less than an hour before the NCAA Tournament bracket was revealed.

And every year, the selection chairman would confirm that the Big 12 title

contest was played too late to be part of the committee's thought process in picking and seeding teams.

That Sunday policy drove former OU coach Kelvin Sampson crazy. Although they didn't win the regular-season title, Sampson's Sooners won three consecutive Big 12 tournament championships from 2001 to 2003.

Sampson always held out hope that three wins in as many days would make an impression in the NCAA Tournament seeding process. But it never happened, because the selection committee refused to wait and include the Big 12 title contest in the decision-making process..

Big 12 officials for years ignored the begging from Sampson and many of his conference peers to move the championship game to Saturday. The league had signed a lucrative television contract, which specified the Big 12 title contest serve as the lead into the Selection Sunday show.

Wiser heads finally prevailed during those 2007 spring meetings in Colorado. The new television contract with ESPN stipulated that starting in 2009, the Big 12 title game would start at 5 p.m. Saturday, after the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament's semifinals and before the Big East Conference's championship game.

Less than a week ago, that 2007 decision didn't figure to affect OU. The Sooners, 25-1 overall and 11-0 in the Big 12, didn't care what day the Big 12 championship was contested because they appeared to be a lock for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

The switch now looms large for the Sooners, as does the site for the conference tournament.

A head injury to All-American center Blake Griffin, which resulted in two consecutive losses, suddenly means the Sooners could wind up benefiting from that switch more than any other Big 12 team.

And it certainly won't hurt the Sooners' chances that the 13th annual Big 12 men's tournament will be held March 11-14 at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City.

Losses last Saturday at Texas and at home Monday to Kansas cost OU first place in the Big 12 regular-season race. KU (12-1) moved into sole possession of first, with OU and Missouri tied for second at 11-2.

To break KU's four-year stranglehold on the regular-season title, OU needs to sweep its final three games at Texas Tech and Missouri and the OU-OSU finale at home against Oklahoma State. The Sooners then must hope KU loses two of its last three against Missouri, at Texas Tech and Texas.

In reality, the defending national champion Jayhawks' win Monday probably wrapped up their fifth consecutive Big 12 title. And that scenario makes OU's game a week from today at Missouri (23-4, 10-2) critical, because the winner probably will finish second to KU and be the league's No. 2 at the Ford Center.

With Griffin back in the lineup, OU should enter the Big 12 tournament as the favorite even if it doesn't win the regular-season crown. The selection committee undoubtedly will take the concussion Griffin sustained early in the Texas game under consideration when it decides if the Sooners deserve a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

"I hope we get a chance to play OU again," KU coach Bill Self said after Monday's win, when a frustrated Griffin was forced to sit and watch. "I would like our guys to have the opportunity to play against the best player in the country (Griffin)."

Griffin and the Sooners also lust for that timely opportunity. The NCAA Tournament selection committee will watch the game while meeting in Indianapolis, and then have an additional day to evaluate the outcome and give the Big 12 tournament champion the credit, and yes, the break, it deserves.

badger
3/2/2009, 01:26 PM
I hope we get a chance to play OU again. I would like our guys to have the opportunity to play against the best player in the country (Griffin)

Be careful what you wish for. The basketball gods do not take kindly to this type of cockiness.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/tricia1999/ku.jpg