PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Funk-Buster

OUSKINS
2/28/2009, 07:01 PM
Now, those of you familiar with a Major League "Slump Buster" don't get too excited, that is NOT what I'm talking about here :)

From the minute Blake suffered his concussion, OU has been in a bit of a funk. Going into the Texas game, we were rolling, clicking on all cylinders and Patillo had added a new dimension to an already very good team.

But since Blake went down and Abrahms caught fire and won that game for UT, we've looked unsettled. We fought hard in the KU game, but clearly missed Blake and veteran guys like AJ and Crocker have now had three subpar games in a row.

Toss in the suspension for Patillo and whatever the disciplinary action Capel took against Willie, and you have a 26-3 team that isn't completely "right" at this point.

The Griffin brothers were excellent today, but the rest of the team was flat as could be. A win is a win of course, but you'd like for a team that has their sights set on a #1 seed in the Big Dance to look a little more fluid this late in the season.

I attribute our malaise to three (fairly obvious) things right now:

1. The Blake injury. The concussion came at a terrible time for two reasons: One because we were really crusing at that time and two, because it meant he had to miss what could very well prove to be the two toughest conference games of the year. I think his absence not only hurt the team on the floor, but maybe shook us up in general a bit and knocked us off our good path.

2. Patillo and Willie goofing around. Again, neither seems like a big deal-- Patillo skipped a class and chances are whatever Willie did wasn't even that bad considering he played today. But stuff like that DOES distract the team in general.

Both of those things also lead me towards the most important point of all...

3. The Dog Days. OU has been near the top of the national rankings all year. At this point, I think everyone involved with OU hoops, including coaches, players, and fans are all ready for March to get here. Hard to get too excited about a game in Lubbock when we know what lies ahead in the coming weeks. It's human nature and we've seen several top teams around the country struggle lately-- don't forget, a team like OU or Pitt is made in the shade in terms of making the Tournament and getting a high seed-- and sometimes those teams play other teams that are MUCH more desperate....and last week you saw OU lose to a desperate UT team and Pitt lose to a desperate Providence team. Not all motivations are created equally right now.

I think players tend to lose focus a bit, and that probably extends to off the floor as well. Maybe guys get a little lazy and read the headlines a bit much.

Right now, I'm not too concerned, but I am a bit anxious for the team to get back on track before the Big 12 Tournament begins-- and we really only have one chance to do that--Wednesday in Columbia. If we win that game, I think we can safely say that we survived a bit a rough patch in the season and wound up no worse for it. If we lose, then all of a sudden, we're looking a bit more mortal heading into the final push.

Let me put it this way: I'm not worried right now, but if we lose Wednesday, I will be.