PDA

View Full Version : Nerf Basketball?

8timechamps
2/28/2009, 06:04 PM
I heard it mentioned during the broadcast, and it made me think of it.

Who had a nerf hoop set up? Where?

Mine was in the hallway leading to my bedroom. We would go full force when we played. We even had a three point line.

I have purchased several nerf hoops since I've had kids, but they don't seem to get into as much as I did.

King Crimson
2/28/2009, 06:13 PM
i could score from anywhere, nerf wise.

mine was on my closet door.

KC//CRIMSON
2/28/2009, 06:26 PM
Bedroom door. I was the king of the two-wall bank shot.

King Crimson
2/28/2009, 06:28 PM
my buddy and i once played the whole tournament field of 64 in a masterpiece of nerd-dom.

bluedogok
2/28/2009, 06:52 PM
Growing up it was on the closet door, I drew OU "backboards" for it. Later a roommate and I had a house with a 22 foot cathedral ceiling, we had it above the fireplace. Made it nice to not have to shot so flat like I did at my parents house.

MichiganSooner
2/28/2009, 07:56 PM
On the closet door is where my kids played.

soonervegas
2/28/2009, 08:36 PM
Bedroom door. I set up schedules for OU, including a preseason tournament, all college tournament, home and aways with all big 8 opponents, big 8 tourney, etc. I put out weekly rankings and of course a 64 team bracket. I would play possesions for both of the teams. They would get a three point shot and if they missed a follow up two point shot. I tried to make it as "fair" as possible, but my OU team somehow consistently made it to the NC game. :)

8timechamps
2/28/2009, 08:43 PM
I never did the whole tournament thing with the Nerf hoop, however, when I was about 11 or 12, my best friend and I found a nerf-sized wooden backboard with a real metal rim and a net. The weird part was that it had the University of Kentucky on it, and it was at TG&Y in OKC.

We went in together and bought it. My friend had the perfect set-up for it in his garage, so we had our own arena. We did play the field of 64 several times on that.

OKC-SLC
2/28/2009, 10:37 PM
my buddy and i once played the whole tournament field of 64 in a masterpiece of nerd-dom.

You're right; that is epic nerd-dom.

But awesome.

oumartin
2/28/2009, 10:48 PM
did you guys have the one with the medal bracket that could go over the door? or the newer crap kind?
I got mine back in 1984 and that sucker was solid. I tore down the trim above the hallway tryin' to dunk back in the day.
In fact nerf basketball caused me to develop osgood schlatters.

Rhino
2/28/2009, 10:50 PM
I had the one with the metal bracket. Bedroom door at my house. I completely wrecked that door. Had to put tape all along the bottom of it.

My neighbor had his in his garage, which was probably for the best.

oumartin
2/28/2009, 10:55 PM
why do they not sell the metal bracket ones anymore? We have three of the newer kind in our house. They suck

sooner2b09
2/28/2009, 11:23 PM
Bedroom door, I could play with my friends all day, then we would go outside and dunk on the basketball goal after it was lowered to 6 ft.

Keep in mind we were like 12

Ton Loc
2/28/2009, 11:39 PM
Mine was on the closet door. Many times my friends and I would fly into the closet doors and knock them completely into the closet during the many dunk and horse contests.

sooner518
3/1/2009, 12:29 AM
bedroom door. we had a free throw and 3 point line. when my parents werent home, we played on their closet door because their room was bigger. man i loved playing nerfball

Zbird
3/1/2009, 12:56 AM
I had the one with the metal bracket. Bedroom door at my house. I completely wrecked that door. Had to put tape all along the bottom of it.

My neighbor had his in his garage, which was probably for the best.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Always wondered about that door.

bluedogok
3/1/2009, 10:23 AM
did you guys have the one with the medal bracket that could go over the door? or the newer crap kind?
I got mine back in 1984 and that sucker was solid. I tore down the trim above the hallway tryin' to dunk back in the day.
In fact nerf basketball caused me to develop osgood schlatters.
The first one that I had at my parents house was metal clip and metal rim, the later one that I had had the metal clip but plastic rim and the heavier ball.

oumartin
3/1/2009, 10:55 AM
metal rim? wow. mine was metal clip and plastic rim but yes the ball was much larger than those of today. you actually had to be a decent shot for it to go in. Those were the days I tell ya...

Newbomb Turk
3/1/2009, 12:25 PM
I seem to remember having one with a metal rim when I was a kid. I bought one with the metal clip, but plastic rim when I was in college. My roommate and I would put it up on the dorm room door. Nice high ceilings in the room so it worked good.

jkjsooner
3/1/2009, 06:07 PM
Haven't bought one in about 10 years but the latest models that were all plastic and had the cardboard backboard were crap. I actually bought one off ebay a long time ago just because it was old school.

I do prefer the balls that were made out of the same material as the footballs rather than the really fuzzy older ones that didn't bounce well and seemed to collect hair like nobody's business.

I actually picked a rental place because the living room had an elevated ceiling and was perfect for the NERF hoop. Seriously!

bluedogok
3/1/2009, 06:52 PM
The metal rim version existed until the early 80's when they switched to plastic, I got mine about the time the NERFoop came out in 1972. The rim was a smooth, chrome finish and the net was just strung onto it, it would end up sliding around on the rim. It cam with the soft Nerf ball, the later plastic model came with the one like the football.

I soft ones were fun to play with in the pool, we came up with a game at The Sportsman's Club like a hockey or lacrosse game with just a goalie and try to throw a wet Nerf ball into the slot around the pool under the sidewalk between the two skimmers for a point.

Newbomb Turk
3/1/2009, 07:03 PM
The metal rim version existed until the early 80's when they switched to plastic, I got mine about the time the NERFoop came out in 1972. The rim was a smooth, chrome finish and the net was just strung onto it, it would end up sliding around on the rim.

that's what I remember from the one I had when I was a kid.

sooner2b09
3/1/2009, 08:15 PM
I soft ones were fun to play with in the pool, we came up with a game at The Sportsman's Club like a hockey or lacrosse game with just a goalie and try to throw a wet Nerf ball into the slot around the pool under the sidewalk between the two skimmers for a point.

Gutter ball is by far the best pool game.

Thats what we called it

KC//CRIMSON
3/1/2009, 08:18 PM

Thats what we called it

Yep, Gutterball is what we called it too.

royalfan5
3/1/2009, 08:24 PM
Mine was on the closet door between the dining and living rooms. Last I knew it was still up there. The rim is slightly warped from dunking but otherwise still functional. I had one in college that I duct taped to the wall in the living area of my door suite. Beer and nerf basketball go together like chocolate and peanut butter.

Pricetag
3/2/2009, 11:18 AM

Thats what we called it
Heh, we played Gutter Ball at the Broken Arrow Boy's Club pool back in the summer of 1988. I hate the Internet--it has constantly shown me that I've never had an original idea in my life.

Nerf balls were a huge part of my childhood. We played soccer, basketball, and even a game where my brother and I were dueling giant robots, and the Nerf ball was a projectile weapon that would cause any limb that it hit to disintegrate, rendering it useless for the rest of the match. The winner was the first one to score two chest shots or one head shot.

I don't even know if most of the ones that I had were official Nerf balls or not--most of them came from bins in grocery stores--no box or anything. The most special ones were the ones my dad drew soccer or basketball patterns on.

Did anyone ever have one of those soft Nerf balls hit them in the eyeball? Man, I don't know what it was about those balls, but it always took several minutes to recover from a Nerf eye injury.

I had my Nerfoop on my bedroom door. Over the years, the metal clip would kind of bend from the force of the dunks, and it would vibrate quite a bit when the ball would hit the rim, making a ton of noise. I slipped a few index cards between the door and the clip to make a "muffler" for it.

oumartin
3/2/2009, 11:51 AM
I totally forgot about the metal clip bending out of shape but yes mine did that as well and it did bang a little. I'd pay some good money for one of em if I could find one.

Pricetag
3/2/2009, 12:05 PM
I totally forgot about the metal clip bending out of shape but yes mine did that as well and it did bang a little. I'd pay some good money for one of em if I could find one.
Yeah, my son has a couple of the new ones, and I'm with everyone else--they're not as good. The workmanship of the hoop and everything is nice, but the way the hang over the door lowers the hoop like a foot. The ball is way too heavy, too. The best thing about those old soft Nerf balls was how light they were--they didn't cause much damage.

badger
3/2/2009, 12:53 PM
Both my brother's and my doors were oddly placed, so we had ours along the bottom of a side of a stairwell. To emphasize it's basketball-hoopness, I crayoned in a white backboard behind where the hoop should go.

I'm sure mom was very upset at my stair defacing, but not upset enough to remove the crayon... in fact, I think that "backboard" remained there even after we moved and planned to sell the house! Perhaps the new homeowners took care of the crayon?

8timechamps
3/2/2009, 03:30 PM
Okay, I am going on a mission to find an old-school hoop. If I can't find one to my satisfaction, I think I'm gonna make one. Maybe my kids will like it better than the plastic cardboard crap.

And for the record, the best ball to use wsa the inflatable kind.

I'll update my progress.

oumartin
3/2/2009, 03:34 PM
nope, I vote for the big soft nerfball as the best. Sure it collected your sisters hair off the floor but it was definately the ball of my choice

8timechamps
3/2/2009, 03:34 PM
Holy cow, check this (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mini-Basketball-Hoop-Mini-Basketball-Ships-Free_W0QQitemZ350172570367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item350172570367&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting) out.

It's more money than I want to spend on one, but it's pretty crazy. Spring loaded, breakaway rim!

bluedogok
3/2/2009, 10:35 PM

Thats what we called it

Yep, Gutterball is what we called it too.
We called it that too, I was just have a "memory recall moment" :eek:

sooner2b09
3/2/2009, 11:15 PM
Holy cow, check this (http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Mini-Basketball-Hoop-Mini-Basketball-Ships-Free_W0QQitemZ350172570367QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item350172570367&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ebayphot ohosting) out.

It's more money than I want to spend on one, but it's pretty crazy. Spring loaded, breakaway rim!

I am contemplating getting that for next year at OU, that thing looks awesome

yukonmiller
3/3/2009, 12:44 AM
I'll never forget I was getting a bad grade in math and the only thing my parents knew to ground me from was nerf hoops. It about KILLED me I swear I played 2-3 hours every day.

Sooo..... I moved on, we had a long hall and my bedroom was at the end of it. I stuck a yard stick between the open door frame and started kicking nerf field goals.

8timechamps
3/3/2009, 08:11 AM
I am contemplating getting that for next year at OU, that thing looks awesome

If I was you, I'd get it.

KC//CRIMSON
3/3/2009, 02:26 PM
Classic Green Nerf ball with box Parker Brothers 1984

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180333340406

mxATVracer10
3/4/2009, 03:47 PM
Since pops was a basketball coach my brother and I got away with having ours over the front door in the living room. It was a double wide trailer with an island style bar and kitchen area. We done numerous laps around that thing, slam dunk, retrieve your ball and make another lap... Even had the fisher price record player jamming "eye of the tiger" on repeat.:cool:

good times, good times

sooner2b09
3/4/2009, 04:49 PM

Just got the last one on ebay for my dorm next year! Once it gets here I will let you guys know how it is.

8timechamps
3/4/2009, 05:08 PM
Just got the last one on ebay for my dorm next year! Once it gets here I will let you guys know how it is.

Good job!

Keep us posted.