PDA

View Full Version : Good Nichol article

OK2U
2/27/2009, 06:42 PM
Good read:
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/bigten/0-2-1348/Spartans--Nichol-keeps-tabs-on-Murray--OU.html

fadada1
2/27/2009, 07:30 PM
good for him. he came in with high hopes, but just got beat out by a better QB. can't fault him for that. i hope he does well.

oudivesherpa
2/27/2009, 07:56 PM
Is it better to be a Big frog in a small pond ? For Nichol's it is. Ribbit.

starclassic tama
2/28/2009, 02:37 PM
*5'11 190

Leroy Lizard
2/28/2009, 02:55 PM
I wouldn't call Michigan State a small pond.

snp
2/28/2009, 05:46 PM
Is it better to be a Big frog in a small pond ? For Nichol's it is. Ribbit.

Is it better to start for the next several years of your career at a respectable BCS program, closer to home or ride the pine while a Heisman winner is ahead of you in the depth chart.

For Nichol it is the smart decision.

swardboy
2/28/2009, 06:55 PM
Considering Nichols was set to go to meatchicken state before his visit to OU, I wonder what blew him away so much to come here in the first place? I mean, we weren't anywhere close to the neighborhood...

MI Sooner
2/28/2009, 11:07 PM
Considering Nichols was set to go to meatchicken state before his visit to OU, I wonder what blew him away so much to come here in the first place? I mean, we weren't anywhere close to the neighborhood...

I think it was the firing of John L. Smith, who ran a pass-heavy offense, combined with the hiring if Mark Dantonio, who runs the ball a lot, couple with the fact that Michigan State actually had more depth and QB than OU.

Bradford was a 3-star guy, and Nichol was an elite eleven QB. Would you rather ride the pine at MSU or possibly start at Oklahoma as a freshman?

oupride
2/28/2009, 11:36 PM
Gee, that is the most info I have heard on Dmarco in a long time.

soonerfan28
3/1/2009, 12:22 PM
I'm pulling for him and hope he gets the starting nod.

badger
3/1/2009, 12:40 PM
I really thought - watching some spring ball back when it was a 3-way race - that Nichol would get the nod. The way he could put up some deep balls was amazing.

However, I'm sure that the coaches made the right decision based off of the fact that the corner endzone fade perfection is more useful than an occasional deep ball, and the Heisman and the national championship game berth also show that they made the right call.

I thought Keith was a good sport about the competition and all - he pretty much had Michigan State's starting spot locked up, but he decided that he wanted to have the chance to play for a championship and start at OU. He even pulled his own redshirt year to be a 2nd/3rd stringer (I know coaches said there was 2a and 2b, but I think we all know the truth)

But, he's human and as he said in this article, not playing and being far from home got to him. I hope he gets his chance to play and win as a Spartan. With Michigan on a downturn - both the Wolverines and the auto economy - they could use some good football up there.

MI Sooner
3/1/2009, 07:04 PM
But, he's human and as he said in this article, not playing and being far from home got to him. I hope he gets his chance to play and win as a Spartan. With Michigan on a downturn - both the Wolverines and the auto economy - they could use some good football up there.

Hey, now! Don't forget about the Sooner fans up here like me who don't want to hear crap on fall Mondays. Let's just hope the economy recovers but that Michigan and Michigan State football/basketball stink for the next thirty years.

Also, even though I grew up a Michigan State fan, I'm having a harder and harder time rooting for them because of their fans. They have a huge inferiority complex, just like the Oklahoma State fans, and they'd rather see Michigan lose than their team win. They always complain that Michigan fans are arrogant, but Michigan fans are about the least arrogant football fans I've seen from a top-10 program.

They are a bit snooty when it comes to academic reputation, which is kind of funny, because Michigan isn't very hard to get into for in-state students.

sooneron
3/1/2009, 11:49 PM
I wish him the best. I really don't want to pull for mich st, tho.

CincySooner
3/2/2009, 09:15 AM
Does anyone else feel a little bad that he lost his redshirt playing in a 79-10 blowout?

badger
3/2/2009, 09:25 AM
Does anyone else feel a little bad that he lost his redshirt playing in a 79-10 blowout?

Yes, totally. Also, when the chance came for either "2a or 2b" to step in for injured Sammie versus Tech, the cameras cut to both Halzle and Nichol when it was apparent that one of them would have to step in and lead the team now. When they chose 2a instead of 2b, it was pretty apparent that he was not 2b, he was just 3, as in, third string.

They cut to Nichol several times that game (probably because he was sitting next to injured Sam) and he was noticeably disappointed. I choose not to remember the outcome of that game, but I sure remember Keith's disappointment in not getting to play.

So yes, he blew his redshirt to show how nervous he was in front of 85k in a 79-10 blowout... which by that time in the game might have been closer to 80k or 75k. Keith was probably just as talented as Sam, but WOW did that kid have some gameday jitters on the field. It was after this game that I and all of Sooner Nation realized that there was no 2a/2b, but a 2 (Halzle) and a 3 (Nichol).

I hope he has overcome this and will not be nervous in front of the MSU fans... even if they have an inferiority complex and are more concerned with Michigan losing (just for you, MI Sooner)

soonerfan28
3/2/2009, 01:34 PM
He's a redshirt Soph so no I don't feel bad. He got some experience in one of the best stadiums in the country even if that was in mop up duty and he was able to save that redshirt for his transfer year.

47straight
3/2/2009, 02:39 PM
Good luck to a fine young man.

snp
3/2/2009, 04:34 PM

No. He redshirted during his transfer year so it didn't affect his eligibility at all. He gave it a chance, didn't see a Heisman winner waiting in the folds and moved on. Not that big of a deal.

badger
3/2/2009, 06:14 PM
No. He redshirted during his transfer year so it didn't affect his eligibility at all. He gave it a chance, didn't see a Heisman winner waiting in the folds and moved on. Not that big of a deal.

:confused: transfer year? He early-enrolled at OU to be eligible right away, right?

soonerfan28
3/2/2009, 07:12 PM
:confused: transfer year? He early-enrolled at OU to be eligible right away, right?

He enrolled early but I don't think that counts towards his eligibilty. Everything I have found says that he has 3 years to play.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/2/2009, 07:23 PM
Does anyone else feel a little bad that he lost his redshirt playing in a 79-10 blowout?YES! I lost sleep for several weeks, lamenting about the injustice! Glad I'm not alone in my misery.

badger
3/2/2009, 11:14 PM

Ok, nm, I thought you meant when he changed his commitment to OU from Mich State as opposed to the other way around. Yes, he redshirted THAT transfer... although his original commitment to MSU was only a verbal, so it was non-binding and all.

I really do wish him all the best. Michigan State might have been one Keith Nichol away from the Rose Bowl this year. Go ahead and check the records! They were very close!