PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Trade for Rosenfels

ouleaf
2/27/2009, 10:32 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939155

The Minnesota Vikings officially completed a trade with the Houston Texans to acquire Sage Rosenfels by reaching a two-year contract extension with the quarterback on Friday.

According to a source, Rosenfels agreed to a two-year, $9 million extension with the Vikings, who gave up a fourth-round draft choice to acquire him. Rosenfels had one year remaining on his deal with the Texans that would have paid him $1.35 million.

He flew to Minnesota on Thursday and was scheduled to undergo a physical Friday morning.

Rosenfels is expected to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting role in Minnesota. The Vikings have been trying to acquire Rosenfels for more than a year.

I think it's a good move for the Vikings. TJ may have a bigger upside to him, but Rosenfels is a bit more proven and i think can help the team a little bit more right now.

NormanPride
2/27/2009, 10:39 AM
TJ's only "upside" is that he can learn how to run routes. A rabid monkey with one eye and a penchant for losing control of his bladder would be better than TJ.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/27/2009, 10:42 AM
That kinda shows they don't believe in any of the quarterbacks that are gonna be available in the 1st

NormanPride
2/27/2009, 10:48 AM
Would you? None of them had great careers, and the ones with "upside" are too risky this year. With a team as stacked as the Vikes have, you just need a QB you know can make a few plays and not screw up.

badger
2/27/2009, 10:48 AM
Rosenfels is expected to compete with Tarvaris Jackson for the starting role in Minnesota.
http://s.bebo.com/app-image/8461350116/5424785512/PROFILE/piratewars4.piratewarsonline.com/lolcats_prod/uploads/lolcat_copy152.jpg

swardboy
2/27/2009, 10:49 AM
What? No Booty call?

oumartin
2/27/2009, 11:54 AM
doesn't sage have a knack for throwing like 20 pics in games?

tommieharris91
2/27/2009, 12:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3939155

http://blogs.timesunion.com/mcguire/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vince-lombardi-trophy.jpg

badger
2/27/2009, 12:07 PM
http://blogs.timesunion.com/mcguire/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/vince-lombardi-trophy.jpg

^^^tommieharris91's hands pictured here holding all of the Chicago Bears' Super Bowl trophies ^^^

soonerfan28
2/27/2009, 12:41 PM
The Vikings will continue to be mediocre until they have a quality QB on the roster.

Sooner04
2/27/2009, 12:42 PM
**** me.

JLEW1818
2/27/2009, 12:50 PM
Rosey is out of Houston, I'm happy

rossg
2/28/2009, 08:10 AM
Rosey is out of Houston, I'm happy

What the hell are you happy about? That we are stuck with Matt Schaub? The texans just took a step backwards. We need a quarterback that can throw the ball and does not have a glass knee..

Go Vikes!

OU-HSV
2/28/2009, 09:29 AM
TJ's only "upside" is that he can learn how to run routes. A rabid monkey with one eye and a penchant for losing control of his bladder would be better than TJ.

Exactly. TJ is done...unless Sage were to get injured. And hell, if I'm the Vikings coach I'd probably bring in old Gus (if he's still on contract) before I'd bring TJ in during an injury situation. TJ is way too inconsistent to be an NFL QB.
I like Sage Rosenfels' chances to become a better QB and I think he has what it will take to get some pressure off of AD and Chester. I was just looking at his more recent stats, seems to have a good completion percentage...but last season he did have a few more ints than TDs. Hopefully he can change that now that he has one of the top RB combos playing with him.

tulsaoilerfan
2/28/2009, 01:05 PM
Gus was waived

starclassic tama
2/28/2009, 02:25 PM

really? a rabid monkey could complete 60% of his passes with over 4 times as many TD's (9) as INT's (2) in 5 starts? TJ played really well down the stretch and he is young, but i don't know if him nor sage rosenfels are the answer. it takes AT LEAST 4-5 years for a quarterback to develop in the NFL.

swardboy
2/28/2009, 03:53 PM
Does this take Curt Warner out of consideration for the Vikes? I was starting to think he was a viable option for them.

badger
2/28/2009, 06:45 PM
Does this take Curt Warner out of consideration for the Vikes? I was starting to think he was a viable option for them.

I've heard both the 49ers and Cards are a possibility for Warner. Personally, I think it would be hilarious if he returned to St. Louis :D

swardboy
2/28/2009, 06:49 PM
I think he'd be given a heroe's welcome if he did......

JLEW1818
2/28/2009, 07:56 PM
What the hell are you happy about? That we are stuck with Matt Schaub? The texans just took a step backwards. We need a quarterback that can throw the ball and does not have a glass knee..

Go Vikes!

Are you serious? Did you not watch the texans colts game?????? Rosenfels lost the game single handedly. Schaub is a great starter. The Texans are coming off back to back 500 seasons. We have a great chance to make the playoffs this season. Anybody who knows anything about Football knows that Schaub is better then Rosefels. Schaub can throw the ball just as good as anybody. If he was healthy all season we were easily in the playoffs. I'll take my chances with Matt and not Rosey. AND BY THE WAY, IN 2008 HOUSTON HAD THE 3RD BEST OFFENSE IN THE NFL.

Texans in 2009

11-5

trwxxa
3/1/2009, 12:30 PM

Go Vikes!

Sage was going to walk after this year so the Texans did fine by at least getting a draft pick for him. They will find a suitable replacement.

Rosencopter was a perfectly capable BACKUP QB, he went 6-4 when called upon the last two years, but that is all. In the long run, I do not see how this helps the Vikes.

JLEW1818
3/1/2009, 01:58 PM
Sage was going to walk after this year so the Texans did fine by at least getting a draft pick for him. They will find a suitable replacement.

Rosencopter was a perfectly capable BACKUP QB, he went 6-4 when called upon the last two years, but that is all. In the long run, I do not see how this helps the Vikes.

agree

the_edge
3/1/2009, 03:13 PM
it takes AT LEAST 4-5 years for a quarterback to develop in the NFL.

Perhaps Matt Ryan is just the exception to the rule, but I'm starting to wonder if these quarterbacks that take 4-5 years to "develop" are just not very smart.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Vince Young and Alex Smith.

JLEW1818
3/1/2009, 03:36 PM
lol, i give credit to Matt Ryan. But we will see how he does this year. I'm not sold on players for having one good year.

badger
3/1/2009, 05:09 PM
Perhaps Matt Ryan is just the exception to the rule, but I'm starting to wonder if these quarterbacks that take 4-5 years to "develop" are just not very smart.

Yes, I'm talking about you, Vince Young and Alex Smith.

They made a lot of money doing a lot of nothing. What a league, huh? No minor league to have to go through to prove yourself, no structured salaries for rookies - just make your big bucks immediately while doing jack shizzle!

So perhaps they are undertalented or dumb, but they're rich, too. Hope they saved their money, cuz they won't be making that kind of annual cash for long.