PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio: Rainbow in the Dark

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 10:21 AM
unreal show at the Civic Center on the Holy Diver Tour.

DJ_FgL5l1og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ_FgL5l1og

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 10:25 AM
HFH36je9Hro&feature=related

Crucifax Autumn
2/27/2009, 11:02 AM
Great stuff!

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 11:14 AM
real metal. screw poison.

Ritchie Blackmore or CC DeVille?

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 11:15 AM
fairies wear boots, and you got to believe it...

Crucifax Autumn
2/27/2009, 11:16 AM
Painted plastic faces smearing mommy's make-up

Crucifax Autumn
2/27/2009, 11:26 AM
I actually screwed up that quote...It's Fates Warning - Valley of the Dolls, a thinly veiled attack on hair metal.

Bedroom mirrors do tell who's the fairest
of them all
Lime light silhouette transparent attic walls
Dancing shadows cascade paper walls
Wailing ghost guitars send in the clowns
Painted plastic faces stealing mommies
make up
Masque the false gods with mannequin smiles
Prima donnas play upon their pedestal
of fame
Unborn girls false fascade illegitamate child
I won't play your game
Blasphemous black bible bias you betray
bigotry
Slay the hydra pretty fair maidens spread
leprocy
Hungry children feed from hype of
perpetual ego's
I slay the hydra, burn the talisman,
holocaust
Run with the pack illegitimate child the
unborn wench at war. tear him inside
she became a bride wedlock to a whore.
Shatter the dream the tangerine dream bow
to kings not queens. Back where you reign
rule your domain Valley of the Dolls!
Bow to kings of yesterday they have given
you wings to fly away, what have the
phantom queens but deceived you
Army of shadows climbing silvery moun-
tains lineing molton and ask kiss my
Camouflage the battle scars with oxy ten and
maybelline
Cloning the hero's in hype magazine
Pirates of underground lightening twice
the speed of sound. You will prevail.

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 11:26 AM
Dio is 300 years old...and rocks a lot harder than Poison or the Outfield: even with cheesy metal guitars.

Holy Diver/Heaven and Hell:

3KLtEwV9tA0&NR=1

Crucifax Autumn
2/27/2009, 11:30 AM
That goes without saying!

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 11:40 AM
LmSt1oEIshE&feature=related

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 11:50 AM
poison doesn't rock like this. possibly nail a fat sorority chick is what Poison is about.

admit it.

say anything about it, but Poison is not a metal band.

a pop band with a frontman in a speedo, that you used to like? maybe, that's on you.

it ain't metal or hard rock. or glam rock.

MTV crap=Poison.

oumartin
2/27/2009, 12:03 PM
some of blackmores finest work is in death alley driver

bluedogok
2/27/2009, 02:33 PM
The Dio era Sabbath is my favorite of their works, I liked Dio as a solo artist, saw him at the LNC, November 16, 1984. I prefer the Joe Lynn Turner/Rainbow stuff but the Dio stuff is still very good, I always thought Blackmore was a little under appreciated.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 02:40 PM
poison doesn't rock like this. possibly nail a fat sorority chick is what Poison is about.

admit it.

say anything about it, but Poison is not a metal band.

a pop band with a frontman in a speedo, that you used to like? maybe, that's on you.

it ain't metal or hard rock. or glam rock.

MTV crap=Poison.

Man, you're taking this pretty seriously.

I think you may be the only person I've ever come across who disputes that Poison was glam rock. Then again, your definition of glam rock is pretty narrow.

RJD is an excellent technical guitarist. No problems with him whatsoever.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 02:43 PM
And if you think rock music as a whole isn't mainly about getting laid...sheesh.

OUAlumni1990
2/27/2009, 02:45 PM
EEEEEvery Rooooooose has its thorn....

KC//CRIMSON
2/27/2009, 02:52 PM
unreal show at the Civic Center on the Holy Diver Tour.

Saw him at the same place but on the Last In Line tour. Face Melter.

Czar Soonerov
2/27/2009, 02:57 PM
Unskinny bop = uncreative slop

bluedogok
2/27/2009, 02:59 PM
The Last in Line tour was at the LNC.
http://bluedogok.com/dio-84.jpg

...and Froz, RJD is a vocalist, I don't think I have ever seen him pick up a guitar.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 03:02 PM
Er, yeah. Sorry. I have a head cold. :sheepish:

I think for whatever reason I was thinking of Ritchie Blackmore. Don't ask me why.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 03:12 PM
Unskinny bop = uncreative slop

Oh yeah? Well you're BALD!

Seriously, it's not like I celebrate Poison's entire catalog or something. They've got 3-4 songs which I happen to think have catchy hooks and make me grin when I hear them. That's about 3-4 more than most of the bands I'm supposed to think rock.

Aside:

One of the funniest moments I've ever seen was someone suicide karaoking "Holy Diver."

KC//CRIMSON
2/27/2009, 03:43 PM
The Last in Line tour was at the LNC.
http://bluedogok.com/dio-84.jpg

...and Froz, RJD is a vocalist, I don't think I have ever seen him pick up a guitar.

The Last In Line tour was at the Civic Center in Tulsa. I thought he meant Tulsa.

KC//CRIMSON
2/27/2009, 04:09 PM
And for the record.....

Black Sabbath Dio > Black Sabbath Ozzy

Their new CD whether they call it Black Sabbath or Heaven and Hell is going to be killer.

OUAlumni1990
2/27/2009, 04:12 PM
for the record, Ozzy > Black Sabbath > Dio

but I like all of them...

KC//CRIMSON
2/27/2009, 04:34 PM
For the record, you're drunk.

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 07:33 PM
And for the record.....

Black Sabbath Dio > Black Sabbath Ozzy

Their new CD whether they call it Black Sabbath or Heaven and Hell is going to be killer.

that's how we do, and Ozzy's solo output mostly sucks out loud, but it's hard to say anything bad about paranoid or masters of reality.

but, Dio>Ozzy

Czar Soonerov
2/27/2009, 07:37 PM
Oh yeah? Well you're BALD!

I suppose I could just wear a head band ALL THE TIME to cover up my baldiness like your boy Bret.

http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/9360/baldbrett1460716.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/my.php?image=baldbrett1460716.jpg)

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 07:50 PM
And if you did it would make you like three times cooler than you are now.

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 08:04 PM
Man, you're taking this pretty seriously.

I think you may be the only person I've ever come across who disputes that Poison was glam rock. Then again, your definition of glam rock is pretty narrow.

my def of glam rock is not the one MTV created. it's like saying "March Madness" or "Bracket Buster"....who's thoughts are inside your head?

when it comes to the monopolization of your unconscious thoughts by corporate interests, hell yeah I'm serious.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 08:10 PM
What, because your definition comes from Tiger Beat and not MTV it's somehow more pure or accurate?

Dio
2/27/2009, 08:12 PM
You're welcome

bluedogok
2/27/2009, 08:21 PM
Er, yeah. Sorry. I have a head cold. :sheepish:

I think for whatever reason I was thinking of Ritchie Blackmore. Don't ask me why.
I figured as much...I came home from work this morning with a cold so I can understand.

The Last In Line tour was at the Civic Center in Tulsa. I thought he meant Tulsa.
I saw Civic Center and was thinking of the OKC one.

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 08:39 PM
What, because your definition comes from Tiger Beat and not MTV it's somehow more pure or accurate?

Tiger Beat, nice.

i'm not going to get into the pure or authentic argument, but a lot of people think Green Day is Punk Rock (tm).

Orange County is not Brixton, and being alienated at preppy Orange County SoCal high school is not structural economic anything.

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 08:43 PM
and i am completely unafraid to make you play the "Red Dawn" or "Outfield" nostalgia card.

just because you liked them back then doesn't make them good. nor does reading Chuck Klosterman's love of kitschy crap.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 09:00 PM
I figured you'd like the Tiger Beat reference. I almost wrote Kerrrang! but figured I'd go below the belt. :D

And I didn't start liking Poison again just because I read Klosterman. Klosterman just validated it. :D

Actually, I disagreed with Klosterman's assessment of quite a few bands. His irrational hatred of Dokken seems odd, as does his obsesssion with the supposed awfulness of Vinnie Vincent. I also don't know that I agree with his classification of Guns n' Roses as a Glam Metal band (even though they're part of the same scene).

I don't really have a huge problem with categorizing Green Day as punk rock for a given value of punk, but you're right inasmuch that there's a different sensibility informing the music. I have a much bigger problem with people classifying Avril Levigne as punk.

King Crimson
2/27/2009, 09:09 PM
breaking the chains is a good song. but none of that stuff is "metal".

nor is putting on make-up=glam.

green day writes pop music. green day is a lot closer to the paul mccartney beatles songs than crass or gang of four.

when i come around is not exactlty making the capitalist/bourgie order shake in it's shoes.

Czar Soonerov
2/27/2009, 09:48 PM
Frozen Sooner, will you stay in this thread and continue to rock my world?

OUAlumni1990
2/27/2009, 10:28 PM
For the record, you're drunk.

wow, how did you know ;)

OUAlumni1990
2/27/2009, 10:32 PM
poison, dio, ozzy, doesn't really matter what the music is, good or bad, if it helped you to knock the bottom off the opposite sex then it did its job.

Crucifax Autumn
2/27/2009, 11:03 PM
Anyone ever see Don Dokken on the Hear N Aid Video? They show him trying to sing "tough" and Dio is having to make him do it over and over again. Even after that he has no power on his lines in the song.

On the other hand, Geoff Tate strolly over to the mic and belts out,

"But singers and songs
Will never change it alone
We are calling you, calling you"

Dio just looks at him and is like..."okay" in the one take!

Czar Soonerov
3/3/2009, 07:30 AM
w0o9MZsKAVg

hellogoodbye
3/3/2009, 12:10 PM

I was at the (LN) show! Wee man was on form that night.

OK question -about the Ozzy show that was at LN - around the same time frame (a year or two earlier).

Facts my brain cells can come up with:

UFO was the opener... the Ozzy stage was too big to fit in LN, so it was just a stripped down stage. The UFO guitarist blew his amp out, and was bitching. Anyways the question is: wasn't RRhodes the guitarist for Ozzy for this show?

thanks for the help and the jaded walk down mem lane. I'm with you on the hair bands of that era, but nonetheless there were some highly rocking scenes that came in to OKC at that time. Jimmy Page at the Fairgrounds Arena comes to mind. A rodeo occured the night before, so my sweet floor seats were on top of dirt (and etc). Hair spray and lighters seemed to be the audience participation lighting extravaganza event for that summer....

starclassic tama
3/3/2009, 09:03 PM
And if you think bad rock music as a whole isn't mainly about getting laid...sheesh..

sooneron
3/3/2009, 09:28 PM
I saw RJD back in 84 also. I worked crew at LNC and saw him in 88, as well. He puts on a good show- lil fugger.

bluedogok
3/3/2009, 11:53 PM
I was at the (LN) show! Wee man was on form that night.

OK question -about the Ozzy show that was at LN - around the same time frame (a year or two earlier).

Facts my brain cells can come up with:

UFO was the opener... the Ozzy stage was too big to fit in LN, so it was just a stripped down stage. The UFO guitarist blew his amp out, and was bitching. Anyways the question is: wasn't RRhodes the guitarist for Ozzy for this show?
It had to have been on the Blizzard or Diary tours, before Randy Rhodes death (March 19, 1982).

I saw Ozzy in 1984 (Bark at the Moon tour) with Motley Crue (Shout at the Devil tour) as the opening act, that was interesting. I went with a co-worker at Sound Warehouse to it who had never been to a "rock concert". He played drums in his church band and was big into Duran Duran and had the longer "gericurl" type of hair that is spoofed in I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. He was quite entertained, I thought it a proper indoctrination into rock.

http://bluedogok.com/ozzy-84.jpg

Crucifax Autumn
3/4/2009, 03:54 AM
When I saw the Bark at the Moon tour it was Motley Crue opening in Houston. Nest time on Ultimate Sin it was Metallica with Cliff alive and well in Austin.

hellogoodbye
3/4/2009, 05:22 PM
found it:
February 25th 1982- Lloyd Noble Center, Norman, OK
Diary Tour

Anyways a great show in the fact w/o that all the crazy stage gear (a huge castle, I think), it was a stripped down rock show - all about the music. sweetness

KC//CRIMSON
4/1/2009, 02:41 PM
http://www.heavenandhelllive.com/heavenandhell/CMS/images//Heavennhell2007_1.jpg

HEAVEN & HELL INTRODUCES THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Highly Anticipated New Album from Dio, Iommi, Butler, and Appice, their First in 17 Years, Features Epic First Single "Bible Black" Available from Rhino April 28

After finishing several heralded world tours as Heaven & Hell last summer, Ronnie James Dio, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, and Vinny Appice were tighter than ever before, both musically and personally. Agreeing that it would be a shame to stop making music together at tour's end, the quartet began writing, first in England at Iommi's home studio and later in Los Angeles at Dio's studio. "The band had gotten too good to just walk away," Dio says. "We wanted to show people that we were still capable of giving them new music that measured up to what we'd done in the past."

With that goal in mind, the band once again converged on Rockfield Studios in Wales last winter, the same place they used 17 years earlier to record their last album, Dehumanizer. The result is the long awaited new album THE DEVIL YOU KNOW, featuring 10 soon-to-be-classic tracks from the Dio-fronted version of Black Sabbath. The highly anticipated set arrives on April 28 from Rhino.

It took less than three weeks to finish the album, with most of the songs only needing a couple of takes. "It was good to play them live in the studio. It keeps you on edge," Iommi says. "I mean, somewhere along the line we were gonna have to play them live; might as well start in the studio." Butler adds: "We've learned from the past that you can kill a song doing it over and over. The first Sabbath albums were done in two or three days. Technically they weren't great, but vibe-wise they were great. If you capture that feeling, that's all you need."

"Bible Black," the epic first single, begins with Iommi on acoustic guitar behind Dio's plaintive wail before the rhythm shifts to a menacing stomp for the rest of this dark tale about a book of sinister scriptures. One of the first songs written for the album, Dio says it established a tone for the rest of the album. "When you start off with a blockbuster like that, it makes the rest of the album so much easier because it gives you a benchmark to measure the other songs against."

Iommi proves he hasn't lost the ability to inspire six-string envy, unleashing riffs like a pack of rabid hellhounds on "Atom And Evil," "Fear," "Neverwhere," and "Eating The Cannibals," a tune about doing more than biting the hand that feeds. Butler and Appice slow the pace while ramping up the intensity on "Follow The Tears" and "Double The Pain" and "Breaking Into Heaven," the latter diverging from its glacial procession for Dio's majestic chorus about fallen angels planning an attack on paradise.

http://hardrockheavymetal.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/heaven-hell-the-devil-you-know-2009.jpg

THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

Track Listing
1. "Atom And Evil"
2. "Fear"
3. "Bible Black"
4. "Double The Pain"
5. "Rock And Roll Angel"
6. "The Turn Of The Screw"
7. "Eating The Cannibals"
8. "Follow The Tears"
9. "Neverwhere"
10. "Breaking Into Heaven"

Listen to Bible Black - http://www.noisecreep.com/2009/03/24/heaven-and-hell-bible-black-song-premiere/

King Crimson
4/1/2009, 02:46 PM
"eating the cannibals", yeah! Lol.

Crucifax Autumn
4/1/2009, 11:30 PM
That song kicks major ***!