PDA

View Full Version : Top 40 college prospects and #1 OU

primetime43
2/26/2009, 03:28 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/02/24/hoop.thoughts/index.html

I laughed out loud when I read about AJ Abrams.

Here are some comments from page 2 that y'all might like.

Let me ask you a question. Do you really believe Oklahoma would have lost at Texas if Blake Griffin had played the whole game? Neither do I. So why are voters supposed to reflexively vote somebody else as the No. 1 team just because Oklahoma lost? Keep in mind this ballot was e-mailed on Monday morning, before OU lost to Kansas -- though I'm not sure that would have changed my mind, either. If Griffin were going to be out for a long time, I would have voted differently, but since it appears he's coming back soon, I felt Oklahoma should still be ranked No 1. I knew I was going to be out-voted, but do not sleep on this team next month.

IronHorseSooner
2/26/2009, 03:59 PM
This is why we will get a #1 seed if we win out. The selection committee is going to weigh our losses differently than, let's say, UCONN's or Marquette's, because Blake will be back on Saturday vice out all year, and their star guards will be out all year. Again, as long as we stay in the Top 5, we will get a #1 seed, and Memphis will be a #2.

primetime43
2/26/2009, 04:21 PM
Seth Davis is def on the Sooner Band wagon.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/seth_davis/02/26/mailbag/index.html

1. Jeff Capel, Oklahoma. It's a little counterintuitive to hand the top spot to a man whose team is on a two-game losing streak, but we all know things would be different if Blake Griffin were healthy. Capel has done a phenomenal job at the most important thing a coach does: recruit. By convincing highly coveted players like Griffin and Willie Warren to come to Norman, and by convincing Griffin to return for his sophomore season when he could have been a lottery pick, Capel has proved that he is a coach that kids want to play for. (He also just landed two recruits named to the McDonald's All-American game.) This season, Capel, who just turned 34 this month, has also demonstrated that he is a gifted game manager whose sideline demeanor remains unruffled. That he has the Sooners in the hunt for a No. 1 seed, a No. 1 ranking and a realistic shot at a national championship is something that no one could have predicted when he took this job three years ago. Things can change since there is still a lot of basketball to be played, but as of right now, Jeff Capel is my choice for national coach of the year.

IronHorseSooner
2/26/2009, 04:39 PM
Seth is usually spot on, unlike Digger, Lunardi, or Dodd.

the_ouskull
2/26/2009, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Seth Davis on 02/24/09:

Blake Griffin, 6-10 sophomore forward, Oklahoma: "The only downside to him is he's not 6-10. He's probably 6-8. He's not going to be able to bully guys like he does in college, but he's a great athlete who can get out in transition and dunk. He's a more athletic version of Karl Malone."

Orignally posted by yours truly, almost a week earlier...

"If he develops a 15-18' jumper, he could grow into a more athletic version of Karl Malone. If he doesn't... he could be all over the map."

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have prove; decisive evidence, that Seth Davis not only reads Soonerfans, but that he blatantly jacks my material.

AWESOME!

the_ouskull

badger
2/27/2009, 09:04 AM
I will cry for the OKC Thunder if they cannot take Blake Griffin due to winning too much or losing the lottery. However, I will probably cry even more if they draft Thabeet. can't believe this guy projected Thabeet as a top-5 guy. FALSE!

I like that he ranked OU No. 1 despite us losing two games. I would probably not like it as much if it wasn't my team, but you know... give and take, win some lose some... blah blah.

As for K-Pro as Coach-a-da-year, but I think he is one trophy away. The Big 12 regular season, the Big 12 tourney, or an individual player award would be applicable for this trophy void. I am not familiar with when they award this, so if it's after the NCAA's, of course the championship itself would fit this criteria. In any event, Capel needs a trophy to his team's resume first before you give him this trophy, IMHO.

soonerfan28
2/27/2009, 12:33 PM
What's sad is that Capel probably won't even win Big 12 coach of the year, but he'll have a better shot at national coach of the year.