OUDoc
2/26/2009, 09:31 AM
Already reached 1 million subs. :(

StoopTroup
2/26/2009, 09:35 AM
Angus.....Mmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

King Crimson
2/26/2009, 09:36 AM
the last couple times i've been to a Quizno's the angus roast beef had wicked freezer burn on the meat. which i don't like, or think is worth it for a 9$ sammie.

StoopTroup
2/26/2009, 09:44 AM
the last couple times i've been to a Quizno's the angus roast beef has wicked freezer burn on the meat. which i don't like, or think is worth it for a 9$ sammie.

Yeah...it's hard as busy as we are anymore to have to go back and dick with getting what you expect from these places. I have a friend whose Wife ran the Claremore Quiznos. They worked their asses off to make a go of it and Quiznos treated them like they were lazy POS's. When they needed help they got hit with even more Franchise fees...on and on. Sad. I always want to see hard working people do well. I won't go into details as they are now closed. I pray that Quiznos will finally leave these folks alone. When the Franchise Owners are bankrupt...why continue to dick with them...why not hire a management Team...get in there and keep that store open? Probably because you know you screwed them is my guess.

When Quiznos gets your sammie right...they are pretty good. I'll be at McAlester's Deli from now on. Their sub, although smallish, is very good.

King Crimson
2/26/2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah...it's hard as busy as we are anymore to have to go back and dick with getting what you expect from these places. I have a friend whose Wife ran the Claremore Quiznos. They worked their asses off to make a go of it and Quiznos treated them like they were lazy POS's. When they needed help they got hit with even more Franchise fees...on and on. Sad. I always want to see hard working people do well. I won't go into details as they are now closed. I pray that Quiznos will finally leave these folks alone. When the Franchise Owners are bankrupt...why continue to dick with them...why not hire a management Team...get in there and keep that store open? Probably because you know you screwed them is my guess.

When Quiznos gets your sammie right...they are pretty good. I'll be at McAlester's Deli from now on. Their sub, although smallish, is very good.

that's funny you say that. i know a guy, mostly through a friend, who he and his wife dumped their savings into a Quizno's franchise and they are struggling in a lot of the ways you suggest. i also used to work for a guy, a Culinary Institute of America grad and has cheffed at upper end places who's now running a local burrito franchise his brother-in-law and dad made a terrible investment in and he's trying to at least save them some of the disaster. and he complains all the time about the franchise people and they won't let him make changes that make sense and try and steal his stuff when he does. lose-lose.

sounds like a terrible game. restaurant business is hard enough without having a corporate overlord...and just going to be harder in the next couple years or so with the economy and disposable income at a minimum for most people.

i've had good sammies at Quizno's but there are enough local places around here that are much better than the Q's/Jimmy John's/Subway's of the world that i never even think about those places unless i'm in a hurry and it's the only place within reasonable distance.

StoopTroup
2/26/2009, 12:42 PM
that's funny you say that. i know a guy, mostly through a friend, who he and his wife dumped their savings into a Quizno's franchise and they are struggling in a lot of the ways you suggest. i also used to work for a guy, a Culinary Institute of America grad and has cheffed at upper end places who's now running a local burrito franchise his brother-in-law and dad made a terrible investment in and he's trying to at least save them some of the disaster. and he complains all the time about the franchise people and they won't let him make changes that make sense and try and steal his stuff when he does. lose-lose.

sounds like a terrible game. restaurant business is hard enough without having a corporate overlord...and just going to be harder in the next couple years or so with the economy and disposable income at a minimum for most people.

i've had good sammies at Quizno's but there are enough local places around here that are much better than the Q's/Jimmy John's/Subway's of the world that i never even think about those places unless i'm in a hurry and it's the only place within reasonable distance.

That's sounds exactly like what my friend went through. Corporations aren't treating the Franchises like they are Customers. They become slaves to the Overlords. I couldn't have said it better.

King Crimson
2/26/2009, 01:16 PM
short version: truth is, once your franchise is in place (they have your $$$ and name on the dotted line) Quizno's doesn't care that you are competing with all the other Quizno's, because that's what you are doing. Maybe in Claremore, there's only one. What they tell you is the name and product do all the heavy lifting. you just put the round peg in the round hole....and the customers show up hungry and ready to buy that large sammie and not just the regular.

King Crimson
2/26/2009, 01:22 PM
long version:

I assume the way the franchisers sell their product is the idea that the "brand" sells itself and all you do is put round pegs in the round holes and let the Quizno's name do the heavy-lifting in the market place. and they show you a lot of numbers and locations that make it seem like it's a sure thing. ...and the legions of Quizno's lovers with flock all four corners of the known world.

problem with that, is once you are in place as a franchise owner, you are competing with ALL the other Quizno's franchisers (many of whom probably own more than one location). there are 4 of them in Boulder and probably twice that in Boulder County in the outlying towns/burbs. Corporate Quizno's doesn't care about that; in fact, there's nothing they are going to do about it.

they don't tell you anything about trying to hire honest people who are going to be your employee base at Quizno's that you have to trust when you aren't there to handle the money, not give away sammies hand over fist to their buddies for cash they pocket, spit on the rude customer, whatever. i've seen really good restaurants die in a few months over some petty political thing like who slept with who or the bartender is stealing money or the manager and chef are in a pissing match about the "new menu".... and then whole kitchen quits. game over, because you can't hire good people just by snapping your fingers. service sucks, food sucks for a couple months and the regulars aren't showing up anymore and it's too late. the owner is helpless in those situations. At Quizno's, a few of your sandwich kids discover meth or a gf who introduces them to what's underneath a bra and panties at the same time and it's over. or the Mexican guys who do all the prep get a better job at place X...see ya.

or: my buddy with the burrito place. his "inherited" franchise is pretty good food but not great--make no mistake, he's the real deal and helping his family out for being boneheads and being swindled by some opportunists who decided they'd start franchising their product and got some (according to my buddy) impossible numbers about the other franchise locations and food costs and such and sold them to investors. he's stuck having to carry all this food cost with ridiculous flavored tortillas no one orders and are passe as a food concept...because it's in the contract. money you throw away every week once the stock has expired. stuff you spend kitchen labor time preparing or taking up space in the walk-in while you spend money refrigerating it.....menu items that no body ever orders you have to spend prep time doing...because it's stupid food. all is automatic loss.

he uses quality meats for the chile verde and carne asada, he has a nice mole and some really kick A hot sauces....but truth be told....it's a good product but not great. and he's legally obligated to do all the franchise stuff. It's also a Fort Collins chain and Fort Collins is different than Boulder. good grub in the Fort is not the same as good grub in Boulder, in terms of your population base. I go there once every couple weeks just because....but, you could easily go in there, order the wrong thing a couple times in a row, and say "i'm never going there again...that place sucks". they are mucking it out in a tough student burrito market in Boulder and then in the space of about 2 years a Chipotle and Qdoba open within .5 miles of him...and closer to the "busy street" and more high profile locations.

i have a very good friend i still work for on holidays and such (because i like it--and i used to work for him at a fancy place downtown in the late 90's when was the chef) who owns his own Italian place and fresh pasta shop, total mom and pop....and he's approached by franchiser types who want to codify what he does....and allow him to sell it. they say. my buddy and his wife don't speak great english....so, i talk to these guys for them when they used to come in and they are scum bags. you can just tell....they were trying to get my guy to sign stuff right away. total scam artist stuff, taking advantage of people because of the language barriers.

heck, the burrito franchise i mention above.....has it's mole and hot sauce recipe they stole from one it's employee's mom at the original location, Lupe, and then they copyrighted it. talk about ****bags. and that logic is reproduced in every interaction with them.

a big-name corporate franchiser is not going to be afraid to saturate a market to weed out a runt franchise and better improve their demographic information. that you can be sure.

King Crimson
2/26/2009, 01:34 PM
i apologize for prolly killing this thread dead.

i did hear on the radio that Village Inn has 2 for 1 CFS.

StoopTroup
2/26/2009, 02:07 PM
I like not having to tip when someone is basically bringing me my food from the kitchen. I pay in advance, you give me an empty glass, I have to find my own table, I have to fill up my own drink...

Yeah...no tip.