PDA

View Full Version : For the record, despite what the President said about Gitmo in his fine speech...

Okla-homey
2/25/2009, 08:12 PM
Gitmo in Cuba is closing. But it's re-opening at Bagram AB, Afghanistan...with the current inmate population.

just sayin'

Curly Bill
2/25/2009, 11:24 PM
Well, that is sorta CHANGE right?

Harry Beanbag
2/26/2009, 07:32 AM
I guess that's one way to keep a campaign promise. :)

fadada1
2/26/2009, 04:23 PM
did anyone seriously think all those prisoners were just going to be let go???

i think it would've been interesting to just let 'em all go in cuba. might make for quality reality TV.

soonerscuba
2/26/2009, 04:31 PM
did anyone seriously think all those prisoners were just going to be let go???Uh, some on this board thought it was payback in a large Arab-Obama conspriacy to buy him the Whitehouse in return for freed terrorists. I wish I was kidding.

olevetonahill
2/26/2009, 04:36 PM
Uh, some on this board thought it was payback in a large Arab-Obama conspriacy to buy him the Whitehouse in return for freed terrorists. I wish I was kidding.

Name One . With a Link :rolleyes:

AggieTool
2/26/2009, 04:38 PM
Gitmo in Cuba is closing. But it's re-opening at Bagram AB, Afghanistan...with the current inmate population.

just sayin'

NAVSTA GITMO will NOT close.

The prisoners may be relocated to a Chair Farce base, but it will be most likely Lackland, not Bagram.

King Crimson
2/26/2009, 04:39 PM
Homey has been ripping higher ed as nonsense but also pumping up TU's ranking every-time he get's the chance. starting new threads about the awesome-ness of TU and clamming down on people higher ed degrees?

weird?

85Sooner
2/26/2009, 04:53 PM
GO ahead and close gitmo and take part of the Presidents "pork" package to pay for jobs in San Fran to refurbish Alcatraz and relocate the prisoners there.

I WOULD DEFINITELY BE FOR THAT! Hey it creates jobs right?

C&CDean
2/26/2009, 05:22 PM
If Brack will pay me enough $$ out of his porky pack I'd let him house them on the Deanarosa. Wouldn't be my fault if a couple of them were shot trying to escape every day.

soonerscuba
2/26/2009, 05:32 PM
Name One . With a Link :rolleyes:
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2567926&postcount=34

LosAngelesSooner
2/26/2009, 05:49 PM
Putting the terrorists back on their own soil (of sorts) to be "tried" by their own people (of sorts) is CLOSER to justice than holding them indefinitely with no representation on a Caribbean Island, under U.S. "Law."

And it sure as heck is better than just lettin' them go.

Just sayin'.

Chuck Bao
2/26/2009, 07:47 PM
Putting the terrorists back on their own soil (of sorts) to be "tried" by their own people (of sorts) is CLOSER to justice than holding them indefinitely with no representation on a Caribbean Island, under U.S. "Law."

And it sure as heck is better than just lettin' them go.

Just sayin'.

Agreed.

Or, having a top secret US confinement base in Thailand that tells the current military overlords that it's fine and dandy to do it to your own peeps.

Whet
2/26/2009, 08:54 PM
Just shoot all the muthers!

Okla-homey
2/26/2009, 09:20 PM
Homey has been ripping higher ed as nonsense but also pumping up TU's ranking every-time he get's the chance. starting new threads about the awesome-ness of TU and clamming down on people higher ed degrees?

weird?

Off topic of course, but I'll reply. Higher ed, as in a masters, is not nonsense. I got one back in 1990. I had to get it to make major in the USAF. In that sense, it was merely a means to an end. Rather like enduring drivers ed enroute to a drivers license.

My intended point was, having a masters doesn't necessarily make a person a better employee. I think HR types understand that, whether folks in the educational-industrial compex do or not. Let's face it. Graduate degrees are big business, successfully marketed as the key to success to people who are looking for an edge to rise above their peers. It does represent proof of a person's persistence and willingness to sacrifice to achieve a personal goal. That's about it really.

As to TU, that's just Okie pride. I think its cool we have a superb private university in this state.

Okla-homey
2/26/2009, 09:25 PM
Just shoot all the muthers!

You can bet our grunts are less willing to bother with capturing guys alive nowadays.

jkjsooner
2/26/2009, 10:38 PM
It's all about image and the reputation of Gitmo. Bush did his share of harm by refusing any sort of due process for those being held. To the rest of the world, Gitmo became synonymous with injustice and even torture.

I'm not saying the rest of the world had the right idea about Gitmo but that is the impression they have. In a world where diplomacy can be as powerful as military might, image really is important.

Sometimes you just need a fresh start....

OKLA21FAN
2/26/2009, 10:45 PM
Attica! Attica! Attica! Attica! Attica!

olevetonahill
2/26/2009, 10:51 PM
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2567926&postcount=34

Yer readin More into what LF said than I am then , Maybe its just me .

AggieTool
2/26/2009, 10:58 PM
Uh, some on this board thought it was payback in a large Arab-Obama conspriacy to buy him the Whitehouse in return for freed terrorists. I wish I was kidding.

You mean the "tur'ist" aren't gonna deflower our little dawgies?:D

LosAngelesSooner
2/27/2009, 12:05 AM
Yer readin More into what LF said than I am then , Maybe its just me .
On this one...it's just you.

What LF said was pretty damned clear.

LoyalFan
2/28/2009, 01:22 AM
Not to be discounted is the likelihood that once the "R&R" camp is established in Bagram it'll be for more easy and VERY likely that the Taliwhackiban will mount attacks to free their verminous brothers.
Again, Arab/Muslim investment in the Traitor-In-Chief pays enormous dividends.

LF

AggieTool
3/1/2009, 09:23 PM
Again, Arab/Muslim investment in the Traitor-In-Chief pays enormous dividends.

LF

Really?

Who provided for safe passage of the Bin Laden family again?:D

http://prophetofdoom.net/pics/Islamic_Clubs_Taliban/George_W_Bush_Prince_Abdullah_kiss_hold_hands.jpg

StoopTroup
3/1/2009, 10:15 PM
If Brack will pay me enough $$ out of his porky pack I'd let him house them on the Deanarosa. Wouldn't be my fault if a couple of them were shot trying to escape every day.

If ya are gonna have such an event...let me know. I'll go get Olevet and bring up some OVJ for the inmates...then we can start shooting at the Bri presents Alcohol Test Subjects. :D

Veritas
3/1/2009, 10:21 PM
My intended point was, having a masters doesn't necessarily make a person a better employee. I think HR types understand that, whether folks in the educational-industrial compex do or not.
Off topic, yeah, but boy is that the truth. And there is an inverse relationship between the undergrad-masters time gap and the quality of the employee.

If you are interviewing with me and you went right into your masters from undergrad, you've got a strike against you. Conversely, if you went for your masters after several years of experience, you've got some cred. An instant masters degree says "I didn't want to quit smoking out and screwing sorority girls." Going back after a few years says, "I made a sacrifice to better myself in my field."

Frozen Sooner
3/1/2009, 11:49 PM
Off topic, yeah, but boy is that the truth. And there is an inverse relationship between the undergrad-masters time gap and the quality of the employee.

If you are interviewing with me and you went right into your masters from undergrad, you've got a strike against you. Conversely, if you went for your masters after several years of experience, you've got some cred. An instant masters degree says "I didn't want to quit smoking out and screwing sorority girls." Going back after a few years says, "I made a sacrifice to better myself in my field."

Someone with a masters degree would point out that you're not describing an inverse relationship there. But not me. I don't have one.

StoopTroup
3/1/2009, 11:58 PM
Sounds like you are all comparing the size of your wiener dogs to me.

Vaevictis
3/2/2009, 02:59 AM

If you are interviewing with me and you went right into your masters from undergrad, you've got a strike against you. Conversely, if you went for your masters after several years of experience, you've got some cred.

Does this hold up when comparing two people with the same amount of experience? Cause it's totally unsurprising that a guy with a graduate degree isn't as good as a guy with a graduate degree and experience, gap or no gap.

Vaevictis
3/2/2009, 03:10 AM
Let's face it. Graduate degrees are big business, successfully marketed as the key to success to people who are looking for an edge to rise above their peers.

Actually, depending on your situation, they can be the key to your success.

Like the military, a lot of the larger corporations set a glass ceiling you can't get past without a graduate degree. And there are certain research positions where a lack of a PhD is an immediate disqualification, irrespective of your other qualifications.

Personally, I think that thanks to the massive emphasis on everyone getting a college education the master's degree is or will soon be the new bachelor's degree and the bachelor's the new high school diploma.

LoyalFan
3/2/2009, 05:07 AM
Really?

Who provided for safe passage of the Bin Laden family again?:D

http://prophetofdoom.net/pics/Islamic_Clubs_Taliban/George_W_Bush_Prince_Abdullah_kiss_hold_hands.jpg

Bush did. We don't take hostages as a rule. We owed the Saudis for their assistance in Desert Storm. We needed their oil, which we won't if our own resident terrorist doesn't stop new drilling offshore.
Can you imagine the outcry across the world and the stepping-up of hostage-taking (and beheadings) by Al Qaeda had we held Mrs.O and her kids?
Bush took the moral high road.

LF

AggieTool
3/2/2009, 10:02 PM
Bush did. We don't take hostages as a rule. We owed the Saudis for their assistance in Desert Storm. We needed their oil, which we won't if our own resident terrorist doesn't stop new drilling offshore.
Can you imagine the outcry across the world and the stepping-up of hostage-taking (and beheadings) by Al Qaeda had we held Mrs.O and her kids?
Bush took the moral high road.

LF

Are you that naive?

#1. The Saudis were terrified of Saddam and thus were compelled to invite us in. The only thing it managed to get us was one pissed off UBL an 9/11. We didn't owe them shiite.

Thank GOD for aluminum tubes and yellowcake.;)

#2. From House of Bush, House of Saud:

"I trace more than $1.4 billion in contracts and investments from the House of Saud to companies in which the Bushes and their friends have had key roles. Saudi money bailed out Harken Energy when George W. Bush was on its board of directors. That's how he made his fortune. Bush 41 and James Baker traveled to Saudi Arabia repeatedly for the Carlyle Group to woo Saudi investors and win contracts. The Bush family remains close to Prince Bandar, even though Bandar's wife actually funded two 9/11 hijackers -- indirectly and inadvertently, of course. Indirect and inadvertent -- that's the Saudi way.

Has it ever occurred to the Bushes that the Saudi families they consort with contributed -- indirectly and inadvertently -- to the same Islamic charities cited as funneling money to terrorists? I doubt it.

Let's focus on the most glaring favor the Bush administration did for the Saudis, which I discuss both in my book and in Fahrenheit 9/11. Right after the horrifying events of Sept. 11, when there were still restrictions on U.S. airspace, the White House authorized the evacuation of at least 142 people, most of them Saudi. About two dozen were members of the Bin Laden family.

Let's think about what this really means. The biggest crime in American history had just taken place. A massive criminal investigation was under way. These flights should have been a focus of that investigation -- not a privilege granted to friends of the Bushes. I don't mean to suggest that the people on board were necessarily guilty of anything, but many of them certainly should have been the subjects of serious interviews done through formal investigative procedures. There is no evidence that happened. But, it is unquestionable that the Saudis were given White House authorization to fly."

Well done again!

Yeah...'takin the high road.:D :D

LoyalFan
3/3/2009, 02:06 AM
Are you that naive?

#1. The Saudis were terrified of Saddam and thus were compelled to invite us in. The only thing it managed to get us was one pissed off UBL an 9/11. We didn't owe them shiite.

Thank GOD for aluminum tubes and yellowcake.;)

#2. From House of Bush, House of Saud:

"I trace more than $1.4 billion in contracts and investments from the House of Saud to companies in which the Bushes and their friends have had key roles. Saudi money bailed out Harken Energy when George W. Bush was on its board of directors. That's how he made his fortune. Bush 41 and James Baker traveled to Saudi Arabia repeatedly for the Carlyle Group to woo Saudi investors and win contracts. The Bush family remains close to Prince Bandar, even though Bandar's wife actually funded two 9/11 hijackers -- indirectly and inadvertently, of course. Indirect and inadvertent -- that's the Saudi way.

Has it ever occurred to the Bushes that the Saudi families they consort with contributed -- indirectly and inadvertently -- to the same Islamic charities cited as funneling money to terrorists? I doubt it.

Let's focus on the most glaring favor the Bush administration did for the Saudis, which I discuss both in my book and in Fahrenheit 9/11. Right after the horrifying events of Sept. 11, when there were still restrictions on U.S. airspace, the White House authorized the evacuation of at least 142 people, most of them Saudi. About two dozen were members of the Bin Laden family.

Let's think about what this really means. The biggest crime in American history had just taken place. A massive criminal investigation was under way. These flights should have been a focus of that investigation -- not a privilege granted to friends of the Bushes. I don't mean to suggest that the people on board were necessarily guilty of anything, but many of them certainly should have been the subjects of serious interviews done through formal investigative procedures. There is no evidence that happened. But, it is unquestionable that the Saudis were given White House authorization to fly."

Well done again!

Yeah...'takin the high road.:D :D

Well, O aptly-named one, consider this:
The "Family" was allowed to depart in peace TEN years after Desert Storm.
The need for oil persisted regardless of other considerations.
Why don't you just admit you are an America-hating Lib and thus drag your other withered leg out of the closet?

LF
Liberty for all and malice toward some.

AggieTool
3/3/2009, 09:20 AM
Well, O aptly-named one, consider this:
The "Family" was allowed to depart in peace TEN years after Desert Storm.
The need for oil persisted regardless of other considerations.
Why don't you just admit you are an America-hating Lib and thus drag your other withered leg out of the closet?

LF
Liberty for all and malice toward some.

Ah there it is.:D

'Merica hatin libs!:mad:

Just because I don't hide under my bed skeered of the 'terrist and moooslims doesn't mean squat. Like many here, I also spent over 20 years in uniform.;)

Funny thing is, I'm more conservative than any neocon here.:D

You said "We owed the Saudis for their assistance in Desert Storm."

...and I shot that to hell. So I'm not sure why 10 years later is relevant.

As far as "Arab/Muslim investment in the Traitor-In-Chief"...

Don't be hating just 'cuz I pointed out Bu$hco's other allegiances...e.g. casa de Saud.;)

BTW, didn't we just invade a whole country full of oil at the tune of over 4000 U.S KIA?

You'd think gas would be $.50 a gallon after all that trouble (and money).:rolleyes:

This is too easy...:D