PDA

View Full Version : Okay Repubs are hosed...

AggieTool
2/24/2009, 11:03 PM
Jindal sounded like a juvenile Indian Barney Fife.

http://theexpiredmeter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/barney-fife.jpg

SicEmBaylor
2/24/2009, 11:17 PM
Yeah, that was horrible. Not Bill Frist bad (by far the worst response I've ever witnessed), but pretty bad. Definitely not Jindal's best. I think he was purposely laying the accent on thicker than usual; because, it's not typically that strong.

GrapevineSooner
2/24/2009, 11:40 PM
To be fair, anytime a President gives a speech inside the hallowed halls of Congress, he's going to be at an advantage over whichever member of the opposition party is tasked with giving the response.

So with that having been said, I don't think Jindal was that bad.

I could have done without the extra Louisiana accent, but he hit upon the key ideals of fiscal conservatism, admitted the GOP lost it's way towards the latter part of the previous 12 years they were in control, and promised that the GOP you saw during the debate and vote on the largest spending bill in the history of the United States is one we'll see more often.

It's not like he was going to use this response to launch his 2012 bid for the White House.

Sooner02
2/25/2009, 02:02 AM
There was little to nothing in the president's speech that I think most in Congress do not agree with. Just how they accomplish the goals is different. Jindal's speech was very canned, tone-deaf, and a total non-response to Obama, not to mention out of touch with how most Americans feel.

Crucifax Autumn
2/25/2009, 02:20 AM
Jindall woulda been better sreved by not doing the sappy We welcome anyone's help crap...LAunching into his tirade after just made him look like a jackass. Not that he didn't have his points, but why be so retarded?

KingBarry
2/25/2009, 05:19 AM
Well, as some one who didn't see either the SotU or the GOP response (I am in Italy), I will say that the guy giving the big State of the Union before Congress and the Cabinet and the Supreme Court always looks much better than the ridiculous responses afterward. Honestly, I think it would be better for the opposition party -- whoever that is at a given time -- to address their responses individually over the next week, rather than in a canned "response" that is prepared before the actualy speech has been delivered.

But obviously, that is just me, and nobody listens to me.

Ever. Wonder why that is?;)

AlbqSooner
2/25/2009, 07:01 AM
But obviously, that is just me, and nobody listens to me. Ever.

I'm sorry. I got distracted. What was the question?:O

Harry Beanbag
2/25/2009, 07:50 AM
That was the first time I've seen Jindal speak, I'm not impressed. W is a better public speaker.

MrJimBeam
2/25/2009, 12:01 PM
I saw Jindal on Meet The Press with that idiot David Gregory. He was much better Sunday morning without a prepared text.

picasso
2/25/2009, 01:31 PM
I'd dare say Jindal has a bright future. Who'd expect anyone with a cajun accent to be a good public speaker anyway.

I'll take one's record over his oral prowess.:rolleyes:

swardboy
2/25/2009, 05:45 PM
Abraham Lincoln was made fun of as a public speaker...high-pitched voice in that 6'4" frame.

But hey, it's all about style over substance nowadays anywho....

badger
2/25/2009, 05:58 PM
Republicans (and I am a registered one and have been since I turned 18) have been saved by many hot topic issues in the past. The Communist scare, the assassination of Kennedy, the incompetence of Jimmy Carter and the Contract with America all come to mind.

I think that these type of issues have not just saved the Republicans, but have also, to a degree, saved Democrats as well - the incompetence of George Bush restored the Democrats to power, for example.

Thus, it will take something similar to save the party now, and it will happen, because it always does:

1- The uprising of some hot topic or political faction that scares a majority of America: In example, an American Jihadist movement.

2- The assassination, death or otherwise premature removal from office of Obama: Not having a party leader makes rank and file members fall out of file and not listen to their ranking officials. Disorder among loyal voters and elected officials equals huge win for the party still organized.

3- An incompetent government official or group of officials who make many poor decisions that lead to incredibly low approval ratings: Bailouts that haven't turned this recession around right away is step one down this road. Continual rising in unemployment, rising taxes or mismanaged affairs overseas will take them further down this path of inevitable voter disgust.

4- An infallible plan of brilliance with new, great ideas and strong voter support: Yes, another Contract with America. This time, keep the promises you make. There are many ideas that would get wide voter support that neither party has latched onto yet, like Congressional term limits and mandatory caps in federal spending. Attach these "new" ideas to your party and have your candidates run on them.

The death of the Republican Party is greatly exaggerated. They'll rise again when one of these things inevitably happen.

Scott D
2/25/2009, 06:11 PM
Only because Wisconsin gave us the Communist Scare :P

SicEmBaylor
2/25/2009, 06:35 PM
Only because Wisconsin gave us the Communist Scare :P

Sen. McCarthy was a patriot. It's true he started something of a feeding frenzy, but his own actions were right and honorable.

Harry Beanbag
2/25/2009, 07:42 PM
I'll take one's record over his oral prowess.:rolleyes:

I thought oral prowess is all that mattered nowadays. And I'm not talking about Larry Craig. :)

Okla-homey
2/25/2009, 07:59 PM
Jindal sounded like a juvenile Indian Barney Fife.

http://theexpiredmeter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/barney-fife.jpg

The Prez gives good speech. We knew that. He was elected on that basis. Nothing to see hear. Move along.

Chuck Bao
2/25/2009, 08:43 PM
I was a Republican until the first year of the Dubya Bush/Cheney administration, shortly after 9-11 and the fear rhetoric got magnified several times.

Even before this, republicans had already turned into the party of fear - fear of the homos, fear of abortion, fear of unwed mothers, fear of welfare queens, fear of illegal immigrants. I justified all that silly stuff as a side show and politics as per normal. I would have described myself as fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Now I know the right word is libertarian.

I cannot stand the thought of loss of freedom and justice for the sake of a nebulous idea of safety. I want the truth and I think Americans deserve it.

Republicans blew their shot and proved themselves untrustworthy. Now, I'm a proud Democrat.

Until the republicans stop pandering to the busybody religious right, I will not go back.

The political pendulum does swing, but so does someone tied to a noose.

SicEmBaylor
2/25/2009, 08:45 PM
I was a Republican until the first year of the Dubya Bush/Cheney administration, shortly after 9-11 and the fear rhetoric got magnified several times.

Even before this, republicans had already turned into the party of fear - fear of the homos, fear of abortion, fear of unwed mothers, fear of welfare queens, fear of illegal immigrants. I justified all that silly stuff as a side show and politics as per normal. I would have described myself as fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Now I know the right word is libertarian.

I cannot stand the thought of loss of freedom and justice for the sake of a nebulous idea of safety. I want the truth and I think Americans deserve it.

Republicans blew their shot and proved themselves untrustworthy. Now, I'm a proud Democrat.

Until the republicans stop pandering to the busybody religious right, I will not go back.

I agree with much of what you said. I consider myself somewhere between a paleo-conservative and a neo-libertarian. In either case, I detest neo-conservatives as much as I do traditional liberals. I seriously detest seeing what has happened to the Republican Party that used to stand for small responsible government and individual liberty.

Scott D
2/25/2009, 09:25 PM
Sen. McCarthy was a patriot. It's true he started something of a feeding frenzy, but his own actions were right and honorable.

McCarthy ended up diving head first into the shallow end of the pool in his witch hunt.

AggieTool
2/25/2009, 10:43 PM
The Prez gives good speech. We knew that. He was elected on that basis. Nothing to see hear. Move along.

Who's talking about O's speech?

I was talking about Jindal's.

And there's plenty to see. Repubs are becoming the laughing stock of the nation

If they(we) ever wish to recover, we have to stop sending train wrecks to represent us.

Harry Beanbag
2/25/2009, 10:47 PM

The Democrats are trustworthy??? Dems and Pubs are the same ****ing thing today, neither party cares about anything but reelection and spending the taxpayer's money in new grandiose ways. I've been chased from the Republican party out into the wilderness, not into the eager waiting arms of more of the same crooks. And if you care about personal freedoms, the Democrats are at least as bad as the Republicans at attempting to take them away.

badger
2/25/2009, 10:55 PM

This remark and his association with Wisconsin deserve a DOUBLE DOSE!

http://www.aura-forums.com/natty/PicardRikerPalm.jpg

GrapevineSooner
2/25/2009, 11:40 PM
http://holamun2.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/jesus-statue.jpg

GrapevineSooner
2/25/2009, 11:48 PM
The Democrats are trustworthy??? Dems and Pubs are the same ****ing thing today, neither party cares about anything but reelection and spending the taxpayer's money in new grandiose ways. I've been chased from the Republican party out into the wilderness, not into the eager waiting arms of more of the same crooks. And if you care about personal freedoms, the Democrats are at least as bad as the Republicans at attempting to take them away.

True.

In many ways, both parties are the same.

Including the use of the politics of fear that so many on the left derided Bush-Cheney of during the last 8 years.

I wonder how those people felt when they heard this line from Obama's (Not)SOTU speech:

But while the cost of action will be great, I can assure you that the cost of inaction will be far greater

Back to Jindal, I'll say the same thing about him that I said on another message board. 2012 is still a long way's away.

And whoever gets the task of delivering the response after any speech to a joint session of Congress is at an automatic disadvantage.

To give him a thumbs up or thumbs down just based upon last night's speech is the ultimate in knee jerking. Those of you who did engage in that practice last night, I hope you didn't tear an ACL.

Scott D
2/26/2009, 07:33 AM
unlike Grapevine, I hope you tore both ACL's.

JohnnyMack
2/26/2009, 11:22 AM
The strength of our country is not found in our government

How's about you give the Federal Gubmint back the countless BILLIONS you took from them for hurricane relief?

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 11:36 AM
How's about you give the Federal Gubmint back the countless BILLIONS you took from them for hurricane relief?

Shush. He's too busy making sure we don't spend any money monitoring gigantic earth-pimples that have a tendency to pop and shoot boiling earth-pus all over inhabited areas.

picasso
2/26/2009, 01:21 PM

there's your example. why in the Sam Hill would anyone with any sand want the Government to solve any of your effin problems. Good luck with that Jack, see ya in 20 years.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/26/2009, 01:51 PM

We would but the federal levees were such as prime example of your government's (shoddy) work in action.

StoopTroup
2/26/2009, 02:04 PM
So New Orleans is flooding?

Scott D
2/26/2009, 02:21 PM
We would but the federal levees were such as prime example of your government's (shoddy) work in action.

I thought it was a prime example of why you don't buy swampland below sealevel from the French ;)

SCOUT
2/26/2009, 02:28 PM
IfCK-1BgPTo