PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the new late night lineup

Osce0la
2/24/2009, 08:11 PM
Conan taking over for Leno on the Tonight Show and Jimmy Fallon taking over for Conan on Late Night...IMO - WIN.

Getem
2/24/2009, 11:17 PM
For Letterman maybe

def_lazer_fc
2/25/2009, 02:25 AM
im all for conan getting his shot. i just hope his show doesn't suffer by having to cater to leno's audience, who tend to be a little on the square and old side. so im holding my breath on that one. i just cant see a horny manatee segment on prime time ya know?

SoonerAtKU
2/25/2009, 09:20 AM
Jimmy Fallon...I hope we get to see 40 minutes of him laughing at himself every night. Man, he cracks himself UP!

frankensooner
2/25/2009, 10:25 AM
anything that gets lanternjaw off the air is fine by me.

C&CDean
2/25/2009, 10:41 AM
I just hope Conan doesn't bring his juvenile, immature brand of humor over to the tonight show, cause us square and old folks think he's a dip****. I can only laugh so many times when a guy flips his hair, jumps up and down, and runs up and kisses the camera lense. I know that cracks a lot of you up, and back in the day after a few bongs I'd probably find it funny too. Today? Not so much.

Collier11
2/25/2009, 10:52 AM
Conan is hilarious, how can you not like masturbating bear or pimp bot? Leno has always been a big stiff to me. His jokes arent funny, he is just a nice guy and thats about it, he is like Oprah where his name is bigger than his talent.

JohnnyMack
2/25/2009, 10:58 AM
The Tonight Show is taking a pretty big risk here. People like :dean: don't get Conan. I think this thing could blow up in NBCs face.

SicEmBaylor
2/25/2009, 11:03 AM
I've always been a big Letterman fan going back to his Late Night days. I like Conan a lot, but I absolutely detest Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon.

Collier11
2/25/2009, 11:34 AM
well we cant cater to the old azzes forever, we can start with latenight tv and take it to the superbowl where 70% of the people watching the halftime show dont know the band or dont care about the band

NormanPride
2/25/2009, 12:02 PM
4FU2l-XU5cg

Scott D
2/25/2009, 06:13 PM
Craig Ferguson is the best of the entire lot of them.

Collier11
2/25/2009, 07:42 PM
bleh

sooner_born_1960
2/25/2009, 07:46 PM
I never cared for Conan. I doubt I'll start liking him.

royalfan5
2/25/2009, 07:51 PM
I'm still going to be in bed by 10:15 irregardless of line up change.

Curly Bill
2/25/2009, 08:00 PM
Conan sucks.

KC//CRIMSON
2/25/2009, 08:35 PM
http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/244fb5461a/conan-obrien-great-guest-moments-from-conanfan

This is called the Accommodator....

Conan is boss.

Osce0la
2/26/2009, 08:48 AM
Craig Ferguson is the best of the entire lot of them.

agreed...

Also, Andy Richter will be back with Conan for the Tonight Show. He won't be in the seat next to him as he was several years ago, he will be the announcer for the show now.

C&CDean
2/26/2009, 09:55 AM
well we cant cater to the old azzes forever, we can start with latenight tv and take it to the superbowl where 70% of the people watching the halftime show dont know the band or dont care about the band

It may come as a surprise to you, but the old azzes pay the ****ing bills, not the little pimp wigger wannabes like you.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Super Bowl halftime show, and I can't stand Springsteen. And just so you know, pushing a button for an electronic beat, and then scratching a record does not = playing an instrument or even having talent.

C&CDean
2/26/2009, 09:56 AM
If Conan would skip the monologue he might be OK. Some of his bits are funny, but his monologues are uber lame.

Collier11
2/26/2009, 10:13 AM
Last time I checked im not a wigger(far from it), I have a job and I pay my bills of which you dont pay a one, anything else? Oh yea, you were one of about 17 that enjoyed the past two halftime shows. I never said anything about having some rap artist play halftime, but continue to put words in my mouth and charecterize me as something im not, its all good. Just cus I dont want to hear a buch of fuggin geriatrics play at halftime doesnt mean I have to have some rap artist. THere are plenty of good musicians that appeal to more than one group.

frankensooner
2/26/2009, 10:22 AM
Paul McCartney was the last one I remember watching all the way through.

C&CDean
2/26/2009, 10:36 AM
Last time I checked im not a wigger(far from it), I have a job and I pay my bills of which you dont pay a one, anything else? Oh yea, you were one of about 17 that enjoyed the past two halftime shows. I never said anything about having some rap artist play halftime, but continue to put words in my mouth and charecterize me as something im not, its all good. Just cus I dont want to hear a buch of fuggin geriatrics play at halftime doesnt mean I have to have some rap artist. THere are plenty of good musicians that appeal to more than one group.

One day you too will be a "geriatric." Good Lord willing. And I'm glad you pay your bills. You just don't pay the bills for something like the Super Bowl. Rich geriatrics do that.

Also, who would you have do a SB halftime show?

Collier11
2/26/2009, 10:56 AM
I realize we all get old, Good Lord willing I will live a long life as you have ;) All im saying is that every since that Justin Timberlake/Janet Jackson crap the people that book the bands have been overly cautious to the point that they have booked 3 straight bands I believe and possibly more that have been in their 60's and if you werent growing up in the 80's or before, you didnt care about any of them.

I dont want the Jonas Brothers or Ashlee Simpson or Lil Wayne, thats for sure. I think they can meet us in the middle and get someone really good. The SB after 911 U2 was amazing, fug it, get Garth Brooks, Carrie Underwood(I dont even like country), Coldplay, Beyonce, NO KANYE, Nickleback(I know ill get killed for that but they are popular, face it), my point is just get someone that more people can relate to and enjoy the music

olevetonahill
2/26/2009, 11:20 AM
Yall watch the 1/2 time shows ?
I always thot 1/2 time was fer Making sure ya had plenty of Cold beer, and getting the Chips and dip stuff out .

Collier11
2/26/2009, 11:29 AM
that too

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 11:44 AM
Not one of those bands you mentioned can hold the Boss' jock when it comes to broad appeal.

JohnnyMack
2/26/2009, 11:44 AM
Yall watch the 1/2 time shows ?
I always thot 1/2 time was fer Making sure ya had plenty of Cold beer, and getting the Chips and dip stuff out .

My wife made me watch it this year, 'cause she's from Jersey like Springsteen.

Collier11
2/26/2009, 12:01 PM
Not one of those bands you mentioned can hold the Boss' jock when it comes to broad appeal.

Half of those bands would bring in a much higher rating, I would put $ on it. Two of those bands are the two biggest selling bands in the world. This isnt 1984

sooner_born_1960
2/26/2009, 12:28 PM

+1

NormanPride
2/26/2009, 12:36 PM
That is the first time I have seen Springsteen since I saw Adam Sandler making fun of him back in the 90s on SNL. The best SB halftime show in recent memory was the one with Aerosmith and the 8 million cameras around the stadium, IMO.

olevetonahill
2/26/2009, 12:37 PM
My wife made me watch it this year, 'cause she's from Jersey like Springsteen.

***** whooped huh ? :P

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 12:47 PM
Half of those bands would bring in a much higher rating, I would put $ on it. Two of those bands are the two biggest selling bands in the world. This isnt 1984

Bruce is a legend. The only artist on that list who comes close is Garth Brooks (and I'm no fan.) If Coldplay can sell out an arena tour in 20 years, you might have a point.

NormanPride
2/26/2009, 12:49 PM
It doesn't matter who sells out in 20 years, man. What matters is who is selling now. Mozart is a legend, but he'd be one ****ty halftime show.

Collier11
2/26/2009, 12:52 PM
+1

Says the old guy ;)

It doesn't matter who sells out in 20 years, man. What matters is who is selling now. Mozart is a legend, but he'd be one ****ty halftime show.

Exactly, thats why they are legends...cus they are old as dirt

soonermix
2/26/2009, 12:55 PM
as far as the line up goes and correct me if i am wrong but isn't leno still going to lead into conan. he also is basically moving up 1 hr?

so it really makes perfect sense...

as the old people start going to bed earlier give them leno earlier.
same goes to the conan fans who we will call the next generation.
and the generation after that gets stuck with fallon and all his giggling

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 01:00 PM

That's a nice apples and steel-plated sex toys comparison right there.

Right now Springsteen is selling out arenas with both young and old people buying tickets.

I imagine if you took a scientific poll with a good cross-section of all ages, you'd find more people who can name three Springsteen songs than people who can name three Coldplay songs. I could be wrong, of course. Heck, I actually own a couple of Coldplay albums and I'd be hard-pressed to name three of their songs.

edit: actually, if you managed to get a guy who's been dead for a few hundred years and put him on stage to perform, I'd probably watch that. In fact, I know if the Rolling Stones came to town I'd be one of the first people in line.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 01:10 PM
[Coldplay is] a British pop group whose success derives from their ability to write melodramatic alt-rock songs about fake love. It does not matter that Coldplay is the ****tiest ****ing banded I've ever heard in my entire ****ing life, or that they sound like a mediocre photocopy of Travis (who sounds like a mediocre photocopy of Radiohead), or that their greatest ****ing artistic achievement is a video where the blandly attractive frontman walks on a beach on a cloudy afternoon. None of that matters. What matters is that Coldplay manufactures fake love as frenetically as the Ford ****ing Motor Company manufactures Mustangs. . . "For you I bleed myself dry," sang the blockhead vocalist, brilliantly informing us that stars in the sky are, in fact, yellow.

:D

To be fair, Klosterman wrote this in the context of being pissed his girlfriend went to a Coldplay concert without him rather than to New York with him.

NormanPride
2/26/2009, 01:11 PM
That's a nice apples and steel-plated sex toys comparison right there.

Right now Springsteen is selling out arenas with both young and old people buying tickets.

I imagine if you took a scientific poll with a good cross-section of all ages, you'd find more people who can name three Springsteen songs than people who can name three Coldplay songs. I could be wrong, of course. Heck, I actually own a couple of Coldplay albums and I'd be hard-pressed to name three of their songs.

edit: actually, if you managed to get a guy who's been dead for a few hundred years and put him on stage to perform, I'd probably watch that. In fact, I know if the Rolling Stones came to town I'd be one of the first people in line.

See, the Stones and Springsteen to me are acts that you say "Allright, I get to see [x]!" and then when you get to the concert you realize they're old, leathery, their voices have aged, and their fans aren't as hot as you remember. Aerosmith is getting there, too. Same with Metallica, Journey, Van Halen, etc.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 01:17 PM
I don't disagree with that statement, though I'd say both the Stones and Aerosmith are a lot further down that road than Springsteen is. Journey and Van Halen don't really count, since they've replaced some fairly major parts of their bands since the height of their careers.

The fact remains that people still want to see the Stones and KISS and Springsteen etc.

NormanPride
2/26/2009, 02:59 PM
I would be really interested to see the demographic studies on this, as it's apparent you and I have very differing views on these bands. No doubt Springsteen is a big draw, though.

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 03:05 PM
And that's sort of my point.

I realize that to the 18-30 band some of those bands Collier posted are a bigger draw. I just think that overall Springsteen is a bigger draw than they are (with the probable exception of Garth Brooks, who I don't believe has put out an album in almost a decade.)

I'll also say that it's likely that some of those current bands will have some staying power-we tend to be loyal to the bands we liked in our youth. Heck, I've got some Motley Crue queued up on the iPod right now. I'll also say that as people get older they tend to appreciate the music of the previous generation more. I know I didn't really like Springsteen until I was in my late 20s.

Getem
2/26/2009, 06:05 PM
Schizo thread

Frozen Sooner
2/26/2009, 08:12 PM
Leno can be pretty funny, but his writers are garbage.

I like Conan just fine and I'm looking forward to him being on an hour earlier (though I'm worried that he's going to have to be a lot more tame.)

I'm mainly good with Jimmy Fallon because he's going to have the Roots as his house band. More ?uestlove on TV is always a good thing.

Carson Daly doesn't even bug me, because at least he usually has interesting musical guests. Except that for some reason he's decided that pushing Asher Roth is a good idea. That guy sucks.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/27/2009, 02:18 AM
Well why not use the same format as the Olympics. Have Springsteen perform one half time show, Garth Brooks, and get like 5 bands and then you can switch to whichever channel the half time show you want to see. BTW, the reason Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson fiasco was because the talent level wasn't there. You may not like Springsteen, Prince, Paul McCartney, or a Tom Petty but they are really talented performers who sing the songs the whole world knows. 9 out of 10 people probably can't name one Janet Jackson or Justin Timberlake song because they haven't had a song that will be honored on an All-Time Great list by Billboard anytime

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/27/2009, 02:19 AM
Also, Conan is the **** and will do great. Conan is goofy but most comedians should be a little goofy. Conan is basically a more childish version of Letterman and that is a good thing since Conan does not take himself too seriously.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 02:21 AM
Well why not use the same format as the Olympics. Have Springsteen perform one half time show, Garth Brooks, and get like 5 bands and then you can switch to whichever channel the half time show you want to see. BTW, the reason Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson fiasco was because the talent level wasn't there. You may not like Springsteen, Prince, Paul McCartney, or a Tom Petty but they are really talented performers who sing the songs the whole world knows. 9 out of 10 people probably can't name one Janet Jackson or Justin Timberlake song because they haven't had a song that will be honored on an All-Time Great list by Billboard anytime

Strangely enough, I CAN name three Janet Jackson songs. :D

Black Cat
Rhythm Nation
Nasty Boys

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/27/2009, 02:36 AM
Well you are in that 1 out of 10 ;)

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 02:38 AM
Heh. And none of those songs were released this century.

Scott D
2/27/2009, 03:10 PM
except Nasty Boys was just Nasty.

So take that Pleasure Principle while asking yourself What Have You Done For Me Lately, and this sentence clearly shows a lack of Control.

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 03:14 PM
except Nasty Boys was just Nasty.

So take that Pleasure Principle while asking yourself What Have You Done For Me Lately, and this sentence clearly shows a lack of Control.

Well-played.

Scott D
2/27/2009, 03:16 PM
Having a majority of the pre-2000 Janet Jackson library helps :)

Frozen Sooner
2/27/2009, 03:18 PM
Was "You Gotta Have a J-O-B If You Wanna Be With Me" Janet as well?

Ain't nothin' goin' on but the rent, MF!

Scott D
2/27/2009, 04:43 PM
negative sir it was not.

stoopified
2/27/2009, 09:51 PM
Getting rid of that no-talent hack Leno is aGREAT start.

3/6/2009, 01:45 AM
I had a big "cultural diatribe" built up about Fallon, but then remembered this is just a freakin' OU non-sports forumn about his show.

Truth is, the question is "you like it or not?"

I'm at 35% YES.

Before the show was broadcast, I was at 96% NO.

Collier11
3/6/2009, 09:48 AM
I watched a little lastnite, he isnt horrible but you can tell he is still nervous

3/17/2009, 11:51 PM
I HATE Springsteen, but to say he is lesser a draw than freaking Nickelback is nothing but humor.

No offense to the Bruce lovers out there... i just never got him, never will. I still appreciate his fame.

Oh, and viva le unions and stuff.

Crucifax Autumn
3/18/2009, 12:23 AM
See my deal on the late night lineup is this...

When Letterman started being half as funny as his classic days I quit watching. Now I have Comedy Central and Adult Swim.

Plus all my retarded online friends and enemas keep me entertained!