PDA

View Full Version : Time-Warner RANT

SoonerJack
2/24/2009, 11:10 AM
I've just about had it with these people.

I've been a customer of theirs since 2000. Most recently (last March) we added "digital phone" to the list of services they provide to my residence.

If you have "digital phone" service, it means your telephone runs through your cable. It's great. When people call you and you're watching tv, the caller id shows up on the tv. And sometimes when you pick up your phone to call someone, silence. No dial tone. That means that you get to reboot your modem. You gotta unplug the cable, the power, and disconnect the battery backup (which you need in case the power goes out and you want to make a call). Oh, and you get to do this reboot process about every couple of weeks. That way you get good at it and know the routine.:mad:

Oh, and sometimes, when you want to say, go to a website or something, RR tells you the website just couldn't be found. Who knew that Facebook would be so difficult to find? Or Google? Wow.

But here's the worst part. ATT doesn't offer U-Verse in my neighborhood. Also, no alternative cable companies serve my part of town. :mad: :mad: :mad:

yermom
2/24/2009, 12:50 PM
digital phone and VOIP aren't the same. i have digital telephone service, but i don't believe it goes through the modem, or the cable.. it does still show up on the TV by default though

U-Verse is also not available in my neighborhood. i would like another alternative instead of Dish

SoonerJack
2/24/2009, 01:13 PM
yesh. we used to have Dish but fired them because they never offered any spiffs to long-term customers, only to new subscribers. I had been a customer of theirs for a long time too.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
2/24/2009, 01:55 PM
I used to hate Time Warner and then I met Comcast. The level of sh*tiness that Comcast possess is freaking amazing. They make Time Warner look like rocket scientists!

Pricetag
2/24/2009, 02:00 PM
And sometimes when you pick up your phone to call someone, silence. No dial tone. That means that you get to reboot your modem. You gotta unplug the cable, the power, and disconnect the battery backup (which you need in case the power goes out and you want to make a call).
Dang, you'd think there'd be one of those little reset buttons you push with a pencil or pen on there.

BudSooner
2/24/2009, 07:45 PM
I've just about had it with these people.

I've been a customer of theirs since 2000. Most recently (last March) we added "digital phone" to the list of services they provide to my residence.

If you have "digital phone" service, it means your telephone runs through your cable. It's great. When people call you and you're watching tv, the caller id shows up on the tv. And sometimes when you pick up your phone to call someone, silence. No dial tone. That means that you get to reboot your modem. You gotta unplug the cable, the power, and disconnect the battery backup (which you need in case the power goes out and you want to make a call). Oh, and you get to do this reboot process about every couple of weeks. That way you get good at it and know the routine.:mad:

Oh, and sometimes, when you want to say, go to a website or something, RR tells you the website just couldn't be found. Who knew that Facebook would be so difficult to find? Or Google? Wow.

But here's the worst part. ATT doesn't offer U-Verse in my neighborhood. Also, no alternative cable companies serve my part of town. :mad: :mad: :mad:
Dude, that sucks, i've had my digital phone since last May and except for when Cox was doing service in our area as part of the system upgrade i've NEVER had one iota of bad phone service....ever.
A couple of questions, actually more than a few....is your cable overhead or underground? What brand of modem is it? Arris? Motorola? Scientific Atlanta? Just off the top of my head, the ones we replace most of all are the Arris brand...and I think part of that lies in the fact that it needs firmware updates from time to time and for some reason something goes tits up and the modem fails.
Also it could be your cable, if you get squirrel chews on an overhead or mole chews it causes ingress from an outside source such as radio etc that will cause the modem to lose sync and often times you can pickup radio broadcasts and get echos while on the phone.

One other thing, on our Motorola MTA(phone/internet modems)and Arris, look at its stats by entering 192.168.100.1 and after you do that, look at the signal area, check the SNR/downstream/upstream power level readings and let me know what you find.

Here is my settings, i've farted around with this thing to get it the way I want it, now keep in mind most if not all phone modems/internet modems will operate from +5 to -10 dbmv downstream, but upstream it should be between 35 to 51...any higher than 52 and you will lose sync, i've had mine as high as 54 and noticed that I would lose connection and the phone would get real bad....those were mistakes on my own behalf 'cause I can't leave **** alone. :D

The true sweet spot upstream really is right at 50dbmv though, if that can be attained...then depending on your requested level of internet service...it should be quite good.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/3606/easycapture3.jpg

SicEmBaylor
2/24/2009, 08:30 PM
I love Time Warner. We have Time Warner Cable and internet, and I am totally 100% satisfied with both.