PDA

View Full Version : Some Examples of Kansas Class

jdsooner
2/24/2009, 01:22 AM
jchief40 (anonymous) says...
f-ck those REFS!! f-ck OU Fans who are ignorant little losers.. and Capel AND Willie Warren we beat you ou. we are the better team!!!

February 23, 2009 at 10:25 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

lance1jhawk (anonymous) says...
Next season nobody will remember that Blake Griffin didn't play in this game. There will not be an asterik by our confrnce title because he didn't play... Nobody took pitty on us when Wayne Simien was out for or playing injured. We won the game period, everything else is just a side note

OakvilleJHawk (anonymous) says...
It will be nice to beat two Top Ten teams within the span of five days. even though OU is deserving, having Memphis and Missouri in the Top 10 shows what a joke the rankings truly are.

KU must see this game as another learning experience, certainly not a finished product. Blowing large leads, seemingly helpless on "Three D", scrambling under full court pressure [ am I the only one who cringes when Reed gets the ball in the middle of a press???]

This young team is taking strong steps at improvement but cannot rest for the last three games...two dangerous opponents at home and a "trap" game in between.

Time for the Victory Haiku:

Sooner than later

Crimson and white fade to black.

Shadow of the Hawk.

jhwkfan162515 (anonymous) says...
we boomered the sooners! we boomered the sooners!!

jdsooner
2/24/2009, 01:24 AM
Enjoy your conference title boys. You will get your *** handed to you in the Tournament. Griffin and OU will get their revenge. This game only makes us more dangerous in the Big Dance. I am sure we won't see you with us in the Final Four.

OUMonster
2/24/2009, 09:37 AM

walkoffsooner
2/24/2009, 10:00 AM
Those kind of people used to bother me. Now I just feel sorry for them and move on.

SOONER STEAKER
2/24/2009, 11:30 AM
Elbows and headbutts will slow our Blake, but words will never do it.

SCREW KU

NormanPride
2/24/2009, 11:56 AM
I would love to lose to them in the conference tourney, only to beat them in the Championship game. I think that would make 04 smile as well.

badger
2/24/2009, 12:04 PM
I still wanna see Blake out there with a killer intimidation mask when he returns, not just for looks but also for safety reasons.

If Superman's* one kryptonite is his nose, then WE MUST PROTECT THIS NOSE!

*basketball version of superman, as opposed to TRRW, football's version

SoonerShark
2/24/2009, 12:15 PM
Question to Jayhawk fans and the world at large: How many college basketball National titles equate to one football title? Every wrestling title since Adam pinned Eve would not equate to one. Every college baseball title in every division would not equate to one football CONFERENCE title in a major conference. Basketball at least enters the equation at 7-10 basketball titles equaling one football title won as far as prestige.

Also, flukes end up with basketball titles such as 83 NC State, 85 Villanova and 88 Kansas (KU fans conveniently forget that it was the temple prostitute in 1988 playing both the conference tourney and the NCAA Final Four on its home court for all practical purposes and expected to be a NIT, not a NCAA team in 1988 when Danny and the BJs had their fluke run beating teams that continually dominated it during the regular season at home and on the road and the conference standings. Even a blind squirrel finds its nuts every once in a while.)

In football, only 1984 BYU was fully undeserving of a championship, barely beating 6-6 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl.

badger
2/24/2009, 12:51 PM
In football, only 1984 BYU was fully undeserving of a championship, barely beating 6-6 Michigan in the Holiday Bowl.
You just pointed out the major difference between basketball and football titles. For a football title, you get selected. For a basketball title, you have to do the same as football - go through regular season and do well, then get selected.

BUT, you then also have to go through a field of 32... 64, now 65.

Basketball championships are equal to those of football. You have less players to recruit, but far, far more teams to compete with, because many major schools only have basketball as their major sport (and I'm not talking about the Poke State's, I'm referring to the Marquette's and Georgetown's without any football).

I am, of course, referring only to the major NCAA Tourney and not the CBI or NIT. Titles in those tourneys are respectable, but would equate more to your 1 = 7-10 football championships formula, as there is less competition to get into these tourneys and less teams to compete with once you are in.

picasso
2/24/2009, 05:48 PM
Blake's just a national player of the year candidate.

Sooner04
2/24/2009, 05:54 PM
Question to Jayhawk fans and the world at large: How many college basketball National titles equate to one football title? Every wrestling title since Adam pinned Eve would not equate to one. Every college baseball title in every division would not equate to one football CONFERENCE title in a major conference. Basketball at least enters the equation at 7-10 basketball titles equaling one football title won as far as prestige.
Uh, I'm still pretty pumped about our '94 CWS tite. I'd certainly give up any of our recent football conference titles to replay that Florida State baseball game from '95.

KU_Sooner
2/24/2009, 06:30 PM

Also, flukes end up with basketball titles such as 83 NC State, 85 Villanova and 88 Kansas (KU fans conveniently forget that it was the temple prostitute in 1988 playing both the conference tourney and the NCAA Final Four on its home court for all practical purposes and expected to be a NIT, not a NCAA team in 1988 when Danny and the BJs had their fluke run beating teams that continually dominated it during the regular season at home and on the road and the conference standings. Even a blind squirrel finds its nuts every once in a while.)

To answer the first part, from the the KU perspective, every trophy is equal. We take everything one game at a time. The Orange Bowl in 2007 was a huge accomplishment for us. Winning the Insight Bowl was just as huge for us. Back to back bowls is incredible for us in Football, winning both of them is even better. Basketball is the same way here. You win, you look to the next game, you lose, you look to the next game and try to win it. If you win a trophy at the end of the day that makes it even better. Yeah it's great to win the big games at the end of the road, but it's even better that you made it to begin with. This season already means a lot to Kansas just because we've taken something that no one thought would do very well, and surpassed all expectations laid down for us. If we happen to live up to expectations at the end and lose, then so be it.

Hopefully that answers your question.

P.S.- It's spelled "Danny and the Miracles."

NormanPride
2/24/2009, 06:42 PM
Uh, I'm still pretty pumped about our '94 CWS tite. I'd certainly give up any of our recent football conference titles to replay that Florida State baseball game from '95.

Would you trade '00 for '88? :)

jdsooner
2/24/2009, 06:42 PM
It really ticks me off to have Jerkhawk fans boasting that it doesn't matter that Griffin didn't play. I read some remarks today that I did not post about Griffin being soft. Well, KU can thank the Texas thugs for this one.

If Kansas beats us with Griffin playing, then they are the better team. All that we learned last night is that Kansas is better if Griffin is not on the floor.

OUAlumni1990
2/24/2009, 09:01 PM
It really ticks me off to have Jerkhawk fans boasting that it doesn't matter that Griffin didn't play. I read some remarks today that I did not post about Griffin being soft. Well, KU can thank the Texas thugs for this one.

If Kansas beats us with Griffin playing, then they are the better team. All that we learned last night is that Kansas is better if Griffin is not on the floor.

Texas fans are claiming the same thing. that it didn't matter that Griffin didn't play the whole game vs UT. They think all of the sudden this win will catapult them deep into the tournament upsetting one team after another, LOL.

8timechamps
2/25/2009, 12:27 AM

I understand what you're getting at, however, in my world a national title in any of the big 4 college sports (football, basketball, baseball and soccer) are equal.

I put soccer in there only because it's the world's most popular sport. I would include hockey, but it's not played at nearly as many schools.

As for recruiting purposes, it makes no difference to a football recruit how good the school's basketaball program is, unless he plans to play both.

I respect KU in basketball, just as I respect Duke and UNC. As much as I can't stand them, I respect their programs. A win over any of these progras is a good (if not great) win. Just as our football program is respected. Fans of other schools can say they hate us and don't respect us, but a win over Oklahoma in football is a great win...for any school.

KU should celebrate. They won a game they weren't supposed to win. The only problem is beating us in February is that it has nothing to do with beating us in March. Nor is it as big an accomplishment.

Sooner4FCD
2/25/2009, 12:45 AM
Who freakin cares what Kansas fans think? There is still plenty of time to settle everything on the court.

Sooner04
2/25/2009, 10:08 AM
Would you trade '00 for '88? :)
No, but I'd trade for one when we weren't the best team in the country ('75).

StoopTroup
2/25/2009, 10:22 AM
Those kind of people used to bother me. Now I just feel sorry for them and move on.
What do you mean "Those kind of people"? :D

http://blog.newsok.com/staticblog/files/2008/08/tropicthunder3.jpg

King Crimson
2/25/2009, 10:24 AM

i don't agree with this post. 1:1 in football and hoops. if 7-10 basketball NC's were equal to 1 football, then the powerhouse schools would have OU's 7 or NU's 5 NC's multiplied by 7-10. so, if you can show me Kentucky or Carolina's NC's in the neighborhood of 35-70, you've got a point.

to say there's no controversy or flukish results in football over the completely non-schematic MNC history of the pre-BCS bowls sounds a little iffy to me.

Clemson wins the ACC in 1981 and beats Nebraska isn't fluky? the ACC in 1981? football powerhouses Carolina (who had a couple good teams in that era but even the best Carolina team got routed in Norman by one of Switzer's worst teams 41-6), Duke, Wake, NC State, Maryland...etc.? and, OK, let's say your argument is Danny Ford's bunch went undefeated....well, so did Boise State in 06...are they your national champ?

NormanPride
2/25/2009, 10:28 AM
Blasphemy! OU is always the best team in the country. ;)

I can't say about the older ones, since I wasn't there, and I really didn't follow ANY basketball until college ('00), so even '88 doesn't hurt much for me. It sucks, I know, but I don't have that attachment to those teams. Sometimes I think I'm lucky in that regard.

Sooner04
2/25/2009, 10:43 AM
football powerhouses Carolina (who had a couple good teams in that era but even the best Carolina team got routed in Norman by one of Switzer's worst teams 41-6),
Dude, that '80 OU team was pretty good. Other than Elway in the rain, for sure.

J. C. Watts, man. David Overstreet!

Blasphemy! OU is always the best team in the country. ;)
Normally I'd agree with you, but we were a missed extra point from tying Colorado. We fumble 822 times and lose to Kansas at home BY 20! We had to steal one in Columbia when Little Joe snuck over the goal line by a millimeter on the two-point conversion.

AND THEN, we needed Ohio State to lose in the Rose Bowl just for a chance.

'75 was a fluke. FLUKE!

King Crimson
2/25/2009, 10:53 AM

you are right, i was thinking that was 81: the 7-4-1 team. but, i was at the OU-UNC game that featured top 10 UNC talking a lot of junk before the game with LT (who was called for several personal fouls) and Famous Amos Lawrence. and the Elway game.

i loved JC, he was my favorite player growing up. His only problem (and the thing that really cost the late 70's Sooners in the national picture) was he couldn't beat Texas.

Sooner04
2/25/2009, 11:17 AM
you are right, i was thinking that was 81: the 7-4-1 team. but, i was at the OU-UNC game that featured top 10 UNC talking a lot of junk before the game with LT (who was called for several personal fouls) and Famous Amos Lawrence.
I've got a painting from that '80 UNC game. It's got J. C. handing off to Overstreet.

Yes, J. C. couldn't beat Texas, but he owned Florida State. :)

badger
2/25/2009, 11:27 AM
We can't maintain an OU basketball discussion without some mention of OU football :(

But on the positive side, at least we have quite a few discussions going here now :)

I would not trade away any of our titles for another. Those teams got those titles and deserve them and if we get any other titles, I would want the team to earn them rather than be handed them.

As such, I want us to EARN. TWO. TITLES. this season in basketball. I can get over not having two No. 1 seeds, because I've already convinced myself that being a No. 2 is better...somehow. We just have such a golden opportunity to do great things on both sides this year that I want us to cash in. Right now. This season. No more waiting.

But, if it doesn't happen, I'll be back here to find a shoulder to cry on with the rest of you, knowing that this has happened before and that we'll all be back the next season hoping for the first title to happen again.

ouleaf
2/25/2009, 11:55 AM
How many college basketball National titles equate to one football title?

Same as the ratio of Unicorns to Leprechauns. What a ridiculous question.

It's not fair to measure one sport against the other. They all work incredibly hard to acheive the same title, National Champion.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/25/2009, 12:30 PM
They're right about one thing. Just because you have somebody hurt doesn't mean your opponent should boo hoo for you and take it easy on you. You have to show up and be prepared to win with whoever's on the court.

That being said, I sure do hope we get them in OKC with a healthy Blake. My guess is they'll ***** out and lose in the semi's.

picasso
2/25/2009, 01:58 PM

Normally I'd agree with you, but we were a missed extra point from tying Colorado. We fumble 822 times and lose to Kansas at home BY 20! We had to steal one in Columbia when Little Joe snuck over the goal line by a millimeter on the two-point conversion.

AND THEN, we needed Ohio State to lose in the Rose Bowl just for a chance.

'75 was a fluke. FLUKE!

I was at that UNC game. They were ranked #6 and we were #16.

badger
2/25/2009, 03:10 PM
Unicorns to Leprechauns

What a coincidence! That's the nickname the SEC has for most of Bammer's 12 "championships"

CincySooner
2/26/2009, 08:31 AM

Apples and Oranges man... you're sounding a little bit aggy.

Flukes and catching fire at the right time is part of the game of basketball.

cheezyq
2/27/2009, 11:30 AM
I'm just curious why KU fans, fans of a perennial powerhouse in college basketball, have to be so jealous of an up-and-coming basketball team who's been 2nd or 3rd-tier all along. I mean, I realize that we're OU and we're friggin' awesome...but shouldn't they be acting "like they've been there"?

8timechamps
2/28/2009, 11:44 AM

I was just a toddler for the '75 KU game, but my best friend an I decided before the '92 season that we were going to road trip every away game (that was a time before wives and kids).

We debated not going to Boulder after the Texas loss that year, but decided to go anyway since it was a night game, on ESPN, and we figured the atmosphere would be electric. I've never seen anything like what happened that night. That game is equal to my memories of the '90 loss to NC in basketball.

Never, in a million tries, would a punter make that FG.

Anyway, we figured the worst was behind us, so we went to KU the next weekend. We bought tickets outside of the stadium, and settled in for what we thought would be a blow-out...who knew that Tony Sands was going to run through our (not-so-good) defense like a knife through hot butter.

Sorry, I digressed...the next morning, we left the hotel and went to some hole-in-the-wall diner in Lawrence for breakfast. My friend had a t-shirt on that simply said "Mookie" on the front. As we were leaving the diner, two KU students drove right in front of us (in the parking lot) and threw a bottle at my friend (while yelling "Mookie Sucks")...we spent 3 hours at some tiny clinic getting his head sewn up. THAT'S why I'll never go back to Lawrence.

Whew...sorry that went so long.

NMSooner'80
3/11/2009, 01:40 PM
Elbows and headbutts will slow our Blake, but words will never do it.

SCREW KU

I'm sure the true KU fans thought Blake got his injury due to divine intervention - since they are God's team after all.

By the way, check out this weak attempt by a KU site to imply that Capel was calling them out directly:

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/mar/10/sooners-capel-challenges-jayhawks/

The whole thing was taken out of context - straight out of the Randy Holtz (Tubbs-hating Denver writer) playbook.