PDA

View Full Version : Why do the basketball gods hate us?

stoopified
2/23/2009, 11:48 PM
After watching Capel and Coale's teams lose today I can't help feeling cursed.Blake gets busted in the nose and gets a concussion just when we need him most.He could have sat out just about ANY other two game stretch without a major impact on this team .To have it happen at crunch time vs. UT and KU is devastating, or put another way SUCKS.

Sherri's bunch has ONE true three point threat in Hand, and she goes down at nut-cutting time too.Is it absolute proof the basketball gods hate us?Maybe not,but it convinces ME.I so pissed I could scream.

SH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH!TSH !TSH!TSH!T

GottaHavePride
2/24/2009, 12:01 AM
After a second, I started reading that as a giant mecha-Godzilla stomping noise..

TSH! TSH! TSH! TSH! TSH! TSH! TSH!

sooner2b09
2/24/2009, 12:02 AM
or maybe we are not seeing the whole picture. These two games could help us more than we would ever know. Yes it sucks to lose to Texas and Kansas especially when we are better than both of them. But what I saw tonight was a young team without their leader and best player come back from 20 points down to pull within 3. We have faced the toughest adversity without our star. Just imagine when we do get BG back and something like this happens tonight, our whole team can pull together and hopefully pull it out.

Just trying to find a silver lining in a dark weekend.

OUAlumni1990
2/24/2009, 12:03 AM
thats the nice thing bout bb, we still have the tournament..

jdsooner
2/24/2009, 12:25 AM
Cade Davis needs to play more.

jumperstop
2/24/2009, 12:30 AM
we are going to have to hope for kansas to lose to mizzou or texas, and hope we can win out as well if we want to win the big regular season title. that's why this loss sucks so bad. and hopefully we don't drop missou or we might end up in third.

noobalicious
2/24/2009, 01:00 AM
60 fouls called in the game. Kansas won the free throw shooting disparity 41-30. Pretty uncool. Apparently the refs hate us just as much as the basketball gods:

http://www.crimsonandcreammachine.com/

CincySooner
2/24/2009, 08:19 AM
whatever doesn't kill you...

Boomer.....
2/24/2009, 08:37 AM
Both players will be back by the Big 12 tournament and we have the upper hand to win both. Blake should be back by Saturday and we should win out.

Hornlaw
2/24/2009, 09:37 AM
Why do the basketball gods hate you?

Because you're Oklahoma. Isn't that enough?

Partial Qualifier
2/24/2009, 09:52 AM
Why do the Major College Sports Gods hate us?

fixed. :(

With all things considered, OU shares my brand of luck. The timing of Blake & Whitney's injuries is beyond ridiculous.

Partial Qualifier
2/24/2009, 09:57 AM

Kindof hollow, coming from a fan of Underachievement U.

badger
2/24/2009, 10:30 AM
It's my fault. All the bad words I said at the television last night must have cost us 100, 200 karma points with the basketball gods.

However, we have an excuse other than curse words for losing, and that's the loss of key players. The women didn't have hotshot Whitney Hand, while the men didn't have dunky dunk Blake Griffin. We have those two players, we win the nailbitin' games.

So, go ahead and hate away, basketball gods. I will use the word s**t as an adjective, verb, AND noun all night long if I feel it necessary. I may even change it to s**tily and make it an adverb.

SoonerJack
2/24/2009, 10:50 AM
We're going to kick a$$ in the tournament. We're just taking names right now.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/24/2009, 11:06 AM
We're going to kick a$$ in the tournament. We're just taking names right now.

Word

I'm usually one that says everyone puts too much weight in a season based on a the NCAA tourney alone and not the season as a whole but as far as the mens team nothing has happened that is going to hurt our chances of going deep in the tourney. In fact Wright, Davis and Leary were able to get more minutes than they have been lately. This could help our depth in the tourney. (not losing of course but playing without Blake)

NormanPride
2/24/2009, 11:51 AM
We just need to finish strong. Hopefully the experience our girls/guys get playing their asses off without star players will pay dividends when those stars come back. Can you imagine if Willie has one of those games while Blake does his normal stuff? That's almost impossible to defend. And the girls getting their 3-point shooting in order while Whitney is healing will make them all the more deadly when she comes back.

Partial Qualifier
2/24/2009, 12:22 PM
Okay, someone set me straight: we may have - probably? - lost our chance at a #1 seed?

We can't expect to play our way into a #1 seed via the B12 Tourney?

Iin a top-heavy year like this one, the difference between a #1 seed and a 2 or 3 could be huge?

I like that our guys are forced to learn to play without Blake, but this is a once-in-a-generation chance for OU's mens bball, so what's transpired over the past few days puts a little dent in our chances to go all the way.

I'm not saying we can't overcome it, but the prospect of losing that #1 seed sucks monkey balls.

badger
2/24/2009, 12:31 PM
A 2-seed is pretty much the same as a one-seed, where you'll play teams that are SLIGHTLY better than the one-seed's opponents, but the differences are not there in round one. In round two, you'll probably end up playing a lower seed than the one-seed does (because 10 ALWAYS beats 7) so a two-seed is a free pass to the Sweet 16, whereas eights like to clobber one's annually.

Yes, I'm trying to put a positive spin on a negative situation :mad:

:) But it almost is a legit argument, right guys?

PS: I like how the basketball crowd has all come out this week here. For once, the bball board is more popular than football. However, South Oval still pwns all :rolleyes:

primetime43
2/24/2009, 12:36 PM
What are the chances of getting a concusion in a basketball game and then for it to happen to the best player in the country? Why couldn't this of happened against Tech? Blake would have had a week off to recover. I just don't understand it! All the experts I've heard say this won't cost us seeding because they know when Blake is on the court OU is a top 3 team.

SoonerShark
2/24/2009, 12:47 PM

That's true. We have to earn what we receive. Now, I don't want to get on a rant, but we don't have it given to us like longhorns. Longhorn players don't even need fake jobs since they are "on the payroll" so to speak. Or do they just get those hundred dollar bills they are seen spending at local Austin stores off of a printing press? And how does a QB who can barely speak or read the English language, Vince Young, stay on campus for four seasons, one as a redshirt? Of course, basketball has it's rent-a-players such as Carmello Anthony and Kevin Durant. If I hear Kevin Durant, who was on the UT campus all of 16 or so home games total, talk of being a longhorn one more time, we will need to send him to the Mayo Clinic to check him for memory deficiency. People who fly over Austin or are illegal immigrants working in Mack Brown's garden are more longhorns than Durant is, which may be why Durant seems like a pretty good guy since he was in Austin all of 32 hours in his life. Is the longhorn in the yard there to work on it or fertilize it? Of course, the steers are missing something more important. When someone tells a longhorn fan, "You're (Your) nuts" he thinks of his long lost calf fries. If you are from Austin and someone asks you if "You're a steer or a queer?" just say "Yes."

OUAlumni1990
2/24/2009, 01:36 PM
I'd be darn happy with a #2 seed. #1 seed is almost like a #1 ranking---bad luck..

OUAlumni1990
2/24/2009, 01:41 PM
If you are from Austin and someone asks you if "You're a steer or a queer?" just say "Yes."

Most of them just say mooooooo.....:D

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/24/2009, 01:50 PM
Okay, someone set me straight: we may have - probably? - lost our chance at a #1 seed?

We can't expect to play our way into a #1 seed via the B12 Tourney?

Iin a top-heavy year like this one, the difference between a #1 seed and a 2 or 3 could be huge?

I like that our guys are forced to learn to play without Blake, but this is a once-in-a-generation chance for OU's mens bball, so what's transpired over the past few days puts a little dent in our chances to go all the way.

I'm not saying we can't overcome it, but the prospect of losing that #1 seed sucks monkey balls.

NO WAY that we have lost our chance though the road is tougher.

I think if we win out until at least the Big 12 Championship we will still be one of the #1 seeds. If we lose one more game then I think we are probably looking at a #2 seed. I think it would take a loss @MU followed by a loss in our first game in the Big 12 tourney before we would even worry about maybe being a #3 seed.

Hypothetically speaking we get Blake back, win @TT, go to MU and win and then beat OSU at home and then win 2 games to get to 30 wins (30-3). The selection committee meets early Sunday to put the field together. At that point I think we are probably a #1 whether we win the Big 12 title game or not. Remember we beat KU in the title game and Cincy wound up with a #1 seed largely because of the timing of the Championship game.

Now the regular season Big 12 title is all but lost. KU is going to beat MU at home and probably run the table. Everything else is still very attainable.

badger
2/24/2009, 02:33 PM
I like the idea of winning out more than the idea of a one-seed at this point... you know, because winning out equals Big 12 tourney title and national title :)

OUAlumni1990
2/24/2009, 09:04 PM
I like the idea of winning out more than the idea of a one-seed at this point... you know, because winning out equals Big 12 tourney title and national title :)

WORD, #1 seed means nothing as long as you win out!

stoopified
2/24/2009, 09:30 PM
I am trying to look at the bright side and yes I DO believe that getting more quality PT for Ryan,Leary,Davis.Last night I was really po'd,tonight not so much.It does still irk me how UT and KU act like they beat us at full strength.I hope we get a reamatch vs. UT and KU in the Big 12 Tourney with Blake back and James out for UT and Aldrich sitting out for KU.Yeah I know a win over full strength KU and UT is more impressive BUT I want blowouts by a healthy OU over Orange Cow and Blue Chicken teams playing without their top big man.Dammit,I can dream,can't I?