PDA

View Full Version : Sherri Coale's team will never.....

oumartin
2/23/2009, 08:54 PM
again get out of the round of 16 until she starts emphasizing the need to take care of the basketball.

Maybe the worst ball handling & passing skillz team in the country. The team is talented but are so careless with the ball.

OUBookbabe
2/23/2009, 09:08 PM
They look pitiful right now-wrong end of 17-0 run

ouwapiti
2/23/2009, 09:10 PM
three words......7th grade basketball......#2 team in the country....i think not

Newbomb Turk
2/23/2009, 09:12 PM
they are the sloppiest "good" team I have ever seen.

OU1988
2/23/2009, 09:29 PM
Not being able to hit free throws may also cost them in the tourney.

OU1988
2/23/2009, 09:31 PM
Let's get a stop, Sooners

GrapevineSooner
2/24/2009, 08:27 AM
Not being able to hit free throws may also cost them in the tourney.

A book never written:

Free Throws Cost Us in the 2008 NCAA Tournament

by John Calipari

Hopefully neither Jeff Capel nor Sherri Coale will have to write a second edition of this book come March.

Boomer.....
2/24/2009, 08:35 AM
Ashley had a chance to win the game with a one and one that she missed the front end of with under a minute left in the game. *sigh*

And Martin, quit being negative.

walkoffsooner
2/24/2009, 10:06 AM
Sherri knows you have to have a fast athletic team to win the ncaa. And a good inside player. Theres going to be some turnovers playing that style without all the right players. yet.

oumartin
2/24/2009, 10:34 AM
yet? this has been a theme of every Sherri Coale team for nearly a decade.

Boomer.....
2/24/2009, 10:46 AM
So we are going to go to the Championship game like in 02?

badger
2/24/2009, 11:00 AM
you have to remember that even the best OU women's team, the 2001-02 team, tanked a few games here and there against opponents they shouldn't have (IOWA STAAAAAAATE!!!) and that this one loss is not the end-all.

I was happy to see how much our rebounding has improved over the traditional "CP3 in right spot at right time" gameplan. AT and AP5 really seemed to work for rebounds, as did our guards. Unfortunately, the turnovers.

They must. Stop.

Now.

NO more TO!

soonerfan28
2/24/2009, 11:23 AM
Word on the street is they had 35 turnovers at halftime. Say it ain't so.

bri
2/24/2009, 11:30 AM
I love Sherri, but she can't coach guard play for sh*t, apparently.

NormanPride
2/24/2009, 11:46 AM
This was like every other women's A&M vs. OU game I have ever seen. The A&M guards get away with unheard of thuggery and cause 5 brazillian turnovers. Most of the time, the PG would foul Robinson as soon as she crossed the line by reaching in. Then a post would come out and run a hedging screen that would trip whoever had the ball crossing the court. After that we would feed the post and whoever was down there would get hugged until they coughed up the ball. If it wasn't the post, they would run some sort of weird mugging trap where the guards would gang up on one of our players and slap at them until the ball came out. I don't understand how that's basketball. Every rebound we got had a hand inside slapping at our players' arms. Every shot that went up had someone tugging at the elbows. No **** we turned the ball over 800 times.

That lead to desperate passes and trying to do too much, which caused more turnovers. I'll give it to the officials that they were at least consistent. If we had done the same, they wouldn't have called it. But Sherri's D isn't played like that. It's played like basketball. Games like that are almost unwatchable.

Continuing rant! When a guard dribbles the ball across the court and two defenders come out and bump her and slap her until she trips and coughs up the ball, that's a foul. When a post player pushes another in the back while they try to get a pass, that's a foul. It's the same when you hold them down as they try to jump and receive a pass. You can't jump for a shot, realize it will get stuffed in your face, and then throw the ball on the ground. That's a double ****ing dribble.

I miss the days when Women's bball was the last bastion of true basketball, when over-the-back was called and grabbing a post player was called without fail. It's even worse than the NBA now, because they have to let the girls be "physically dominant" or nobody will watch. I have every confidence that the officials would have let us do the same things A&M did, and it's not really their fault that when they realized they could get away with murder, they abused it consistently. But for goodness' sake, that was not basketball that we watched.

badger
2/24/2009, 12:36 PM
I, of course, heartily endorse what NP says, and not just because "badger" is NP half the time :)

For those of you that attended the aTm game in Norman last year, you may recall that the physicality that the refs let pass the entire game that at the very end, one of aTm's woMEN ended up getting helped off the court from a really, reallly ugly attempt to steal the ball. She went flailing everywhere, hurt her leg horribly, and couldn't walk off on her own.

aTm is the new Stanford that I loathe beyond reason :mad:

Remembering Tom Stidham
2/24/2009, 12:47 PM
We missed Whitney in a maximum sense. Sherri's teams will NEVER cut down on turnovers.

ouwapiti
2/24/2009, 03:55 PM
i'm pretty sure sherri isnt teaching them to dribble off their feet, dribble into double teams, miss two foot jump shots, brick free throws etc etc.......it all gets back to lack of basketball mentality, savvy etc......however.....if i'd been sheri last night.... some trash cans or anything handy would've been thrown up against the walls along with some inappropriate language

badger
2/24/2009, 04:13 PM
Perhaps the time for positive enforcement, involving team building trips to Greece and Christmas Carol singalongs or feel-good Christmas gift exchanges ending with scholarships for walk-ons is over.

It is now time, Coach Coale, to turn to negative reinforcement:
http://i44.tinypic.com/i6mrde.jpg