PDA

View Full Version : An Economy Pole

olevetonahill
2/23/2009, 12:25 PM
With all this Talk about the economy , Has it really effected you ?
I dont think yer 401s should count but thats just MHO cause they are market based and yall know thats and up and down thingy anyway , Unless yer close to retirement those should bounce back .
I think
So give me a tad to do the pole thingy

olevetonahill
2/24/2009, 01:30 AM
Folks Votin , But not commentin . what sup wit dat ?

Fraggle145
2/24/2009, 03:31 AM
Nope. I'm still Po'

Boomer.....
2/24/2009, 08:59 AM
Work has slowed a tad but not much. 401K has taken a hit but so has everyones. The biggest effect is how long it is taking us to sale our house.

olevetonahill
2/24/2009, 09:05 AM
Work has slowed a tad but not much. 401K has taken a hit but so has everyones. The biggest effect is how long it is taking us to sale our house.

Unless you have to sale . why do it Now, when the price is droppin on Homes ?

Curly Bill
2/24/2009, 09:20 AM
Haven't been affected, except of course for the retirement plans, and my small stock holdings. Like you said though: I'm not near retirment so I expect (hope) those will come back around.

SanJoaquinSooner
2/24/2009, 09:34 AM
It's made gas cheaper so it's helped a little in the short run. The negative consequences - larger federal debt, inflation, etc. are on my horizon.

walkoffsooner
2/24/2009, 09:41 AM
I have been remodeling my kitchen things have went down in price. Mainly granite and labor.

Boomer.....
2/24/2009, 10:22 AM

I wouldn't but we have been planning on moving back to Norman for about a year now. The house has been up for sale for about 8 months now. A lot of lookers but only one pathettic offer. If all goes well, we should be able to move around May.

SoonersEnFuego
2/24/2009, 10:33 AM
It's affected me a little I guess.

I just started at my job at ConocoPhillips about 5 months ago and I'm just now getting into the stock program. So, it's great for me who is pretty much just starting my career but horrible for those who are nearing retirement.

At least I think it's great for me because I expect everything to be AOK by the time I retire in about 25-30 years.

(I'm a man, I'm 30, by the way)

texas bandman
2/24/2009, 10:44 AM
I've had to postpone retirement plans. My wife and I were planning to retire when my youngest graduated high school, since we had enough funds in our 403b to get him through college. Now we don't, so it looks like I'm teaching at least 4 more years. That's going to be 38 years of getting on a yellow dog and going to football games...I'm not sure I'll be able to do it.

jkjsooner
2/24/2009, 11:10 AM
I said a little because I still have my job (for now) but my retirement and stocks have taken beating.

olevetonahill
2/24/2009, 11:11 AM
I've had to postpone retirement plans. My wife and I were planning to retire when my youngest graduated high school, since we had enough funds in our 403b to get him through college. Now we don't, so it looks like I'm teaching at least 4 more years. That's going to be 38 years of getting on a yellow dog and going to football games...I'm not sure I'll be able to do it.

I guess it would affect those closer to retirement .
Good Luck My friend

jkjsooner
2/24/2009, 11:15 AM

Well, that's what people were saying a year or two ago as well. I live in DC and I'll tell you that here (everywhere except the exurbs) houses still have a long way to fall to get back in line with historic inflation adjusted norms (or affordability). Those who are saying they're not going to sell "at the bottom" might very well be regretting it a year from now when they find out we were nowhere near the bottom.

That, of course, is DC. Places like California, Florida, and Arizona are way ahead of the price drop curve.

NormanPride
2/24/2009, 12:01 PM
baj's work was hurt, but it was going to be hurt anyway. She's still got a job, and the media industry itself is in okay shape. Newspapers in general are just hurting.

My work is okay, and my division is still making money hand over fist. As long as I contribute and try to do more than my share, I should be fine. Our house is in good shape, we just paid off our car, and our debt is very manageable. We're thinking of taking a vacation soon, so that should indicate how comfortable we feel with our situation. I think most people that made smart financial decisions (and chose stable professions) are doing okay. There will always be those with bad luck, though...

Veritas
2/24/2009, 12:22 PM
I live well within my means and pay cash. So, no.

olevetonahill
2/24/2009, 12:26 PM
Im thinking those of us who have lived thru a recession or 2 where a lil better prepared.
Those Like NP and Baj Musta had some good advice from family . ;)

Chuck Bao
2/24/2009, 03:23 PM
I just finished writing a March stock market strategy piece with the theme stolen from an MSNBC article entitled: "Not enough fear".

I think that is the key stock market question now. It is not how bad the situation is going to get. We all know it is going to get a whole lot worse. For stock market investors, we need to figure out why the market is not yet fully reflecting all of the bad news. Yes, I do know that the major indices are down more than 50% from the recent peak.

SoonersEnFuego
2/24/2009, 03:37 PM
I live well within my means and pay cash. So, no.
You are one in a million...for real.

soonerboomer93
2/24/2009, 04:59 PM
hmmm, looks like my former employer rolled my 401k off

i was above the vested minimum and only left it because i had too much wrapped up in their stock so i'm not sure how that happened.

other then the retirement accounts, then well no effect.

Oldnslo
2/24/2009, 06:05 PM
My life has changed exactly... zero. Other than that it's something to talk about.

yermom
2/25/2009, 10:40 AM
i like the cheaper gas ;)

it hasn't really affected me because i already bought a house, car, etc... and didn't need new credit or anything and i work in a pretty stable place

i do have friends that have lost jobs or are worried about it though

OklahomaTuba
2/25/2009, 11:43 AM
All I know is, the more Oblama talks, the more stock-buying opportunities are created for millions of US Americans.

royalfan5
2/25/2009, 07:47 PM
Having a job go poof, and having to find a new one and two months without a paycheck were kind of a pain in the ***, but I have ended up in better shape than when I started for now, anyway.

Bccajun
2/25/2009, 08:46 PM
My annuity is down over 30% since the start of the new year. How can I support things that do not work. Every time someone in the white house speaks the Indices drop. If they would say something to help the markets out it might look promising.
NASDAQ lowest in 6 years,
S&P 500 lowest in 12 years and the
DOW lowest in 11 years.
All since nov 08. I see a picture here.

Frozen Sooner
2/25/2009, 08:55 PM
It's affected me some, mainly from the standpoint that business is drying up a bunch and some of the new accounting regulations made us miss some goals (which under the old regulations we would have comfortably hit.)

Good a time as any to get out of the banking business and get some retraining. :D