PDA

View Full Version : Any computer geniuses here???

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 12:08 AM
Where do I start? Well, last week my wife "gave" me her old laptop. Of course I had to buy her a fancy new one first. :) The old one is a Dell Inspiron 1150. Up until last week it had never been hooked up to the internet as she just used it for school stuff. I bought a card and it was working great for about 4 or 5 days. When I turned it on on Wednesday the usual "Windows updates " thing popped up. I clicked it and ever since it has been running very, very slow. It takes 2 or 3 minutes to load each page. Well I know this computer would cost more to have repaired than it is worth so I decided to try to fix it myself. I deleted all cookies, files etc. Still ran slow. I let ad-aware run its course and corrected all problems. Stll ran slow. I ran disc cleanup and defragmenter. Stil ran slow. I ran Registry Easy and corrected all problems. Stll ran slow. It regularly runs AVG Anti-Virus but I decided to do a manual scan. It is still scanning, with no threats found,...........and has now been scanning for 11 hours and 27 minutes!! :eek: WTH? Any ideas what I should do next? Oh, I've already considered using it for target practice but I think I still have enough patience for one more day.

soonerinabilene
2/21/2009, 12:40 AM
how much ram does it have?

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 12:53 AM
how much ram does it have?

I have no idea? Can I check while its still scanning? If so, where do I check? "my computer" ?

Flagstaffsooner
2/21/2009, 01:13 AM
I have no idea? Can I check while its still scanning? If so, where do I check? "my computer" ?http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html this will tell you what ya got

yermom
2/21/2009, 01:21 AM
right-click on My Computer and go to properties, it should show the RAM there

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 01:26 AM
right-click on My Computer and go to properties, it should show the RAM there

256MB

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 01:29 AM
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html this will tell you what ya got

Thanks. I'll try it as soon as the scan finishes..................maybe Tuesday......:confused:

yermom
2/21/2009, 01:51 AM
256MB

shoot yourself now ;)

this should fit that. should take up to 2GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208015

would likely make a huge difference

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 01:55 AM
shoot yourself now ;)

Heh!

Seriously..........it was working just fine, then...........bam.............really slow. Its now been scanning over 12 hours with no threats detected.

King Crimson
2/21/2009, 01:59 AM
Heh!

Seriously..........it was working just fine, then...........bam.............really slow. Its now been scanning over 12 hours with no threats detected.

yermom knows a heckuva lot more about this stuff than me, but i was using a Dell desktop with 256K until not so long ago and ran AVG on it for 6 years....sometimes the full scans were a couple hours but nothing like you've got.

yermom
2/21/2009, 02:03 AM
AVG probably shouldn't take that long, another thought was maybe the hard drive having issues. it's not full is it? if it was really bad it would be annoying you with errors

but if it just now installed SP3 or something, i could see it bogging down pretty hard

Firefox alone can eat up 256MB at times

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 02:30 AM
AVG probably shouldn't take that long, another thought was maybe the hard drive having issues. it's not full is it? if it was really bad it would be annoying you with errors

but if it just now installed SP3 or something, i could see it bogging down pretty hard

Firefox alone can eat up 256MB at times

I wouldn't think the hard drive is full. Its 3 or 4 years old but has hardly been used. And before someone asks..........no, i haven't been looking at pron..........not on that computer anyway. :)

OUHOMER
2/21/2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html this will tell you what ya got

I just ran this on my desk top. UMM sucks having pirated MS because i need all the serivce packs:mad:

looks like 50 missing MS hotfixes

I only have 256 mb memory in 1 slot the rest are empty
no virus protection..

Oh, my bench mark score was .63 out of 10. yes that was point .63

I would say I am pretty lucky the damn thing still works:(

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 03:04 PM
AVG FINALLY finished scanning. It only took like 26 hours. No threats. I'm going to try the thing Flagstaff suggested next. Maybe I can get it fixed before we go to the circus tonight.

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 03:16 PM
shoot yourself now ;)

this should fit that. should take up to 2GB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208015

would likely make a huge difference

Thanks. I'll try it next after after I try Flagstaff's suggestion.

SOONER44EVER
2/21/2009, 03:37 PM
I just finished running the BELARC scan. Here is what it came up with. C:\Program

Files\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp\(Melinda).html

I have no idea what this means. Anyone?

SOONER44EVER
2/22/2009, 03:19 AM
Ok, I'm trying Yermom's suggestion. I've tried 10 or 12 things so far and the only difference is that it is running even slower. :confused:

RacerX
2/22/2009, 08:47 AM
XP - 1gb ram min
Vista - 2gb ram min

The max amount of ram is determined by the motherboard.

Whet
2/22/2009, 12:23 PM
Get more memory!

OUDoc
2/23/2009, 09:10 AM
I just finished running the BELARC scan. Here is what it came up with. C:\Program

Files\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp\(Melinda).html

I have no idea what this means. Anyone?

Q: The Advisor has installed and finished a discovery of my PC's hardware and software, but I do not see any results.

A: Check that Windows is set to open files with the HTML extension in your web browser. To do this, in the Folder Options windows control panel look at the File Types tab. Select the HTML Document file type and check that it opens with your preferred web browser.

If that doesn't work for you, open this file:

c:\Program Files\Belarc\Advisor\System\tmp\(COMPUTERNAME).htm l

(where COMPUTERNAME is the name of your PC) using the File|Open... menu in your web browser.

Saw this on that website.

Partial Qualifier
2/23/2009, 10:27 AM
Yermom already hit on this -- Go to the system event viewer. Look for errors, specifically hard drive errors. "Error reading from sector" or something to that effect.

Even with only 256mb ram, that scan shouldn't take 26 hours. A starting-to-fail hard drive will do that.