PDA

View Full Version : ***NFL Combine Thread***

stoops the eternal pimp
2/20/2009, 01:40 PM
Starts today..After 3 years of attending, we were denied attendance for the 2nd year in a row...Probably something to do with the NFL Network and their fabrications of the results..and being called on it...seems like they are wanting to monopolize the thing(not sure if thats the right word).

Anyway, I'll inform with what information I can get a hold of..I'm sure jkm and Rhino will be providing stuff as well..

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 02:33 PM
My top 5 Quarterbacks

1. Matthew Stafford... Top 3 pick
2. Mark Sanchez........ First Round pick
3. Josh Freeman......... 2-3rd round pick
4. Nate Davis.............?
5. Pat White .............?

STEP what round you think Davis and White end up? If they both have above average combines. ?

yermom
2/20/2009, 02:39 PM
who is shopping for a QB?

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 02:52 PM
ha, the cowboys should be

IowaSooner26
2/20/2009, 02:53 PM

Hopefully the Vikings.

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 02:54 PM
I just couldn't draft dirty sanchez, i think i'd take vick over him

ouleaf
2/20/2009, 02:54 PM

Vikings, NY Jets, Tampa Bay, Carolina, and KC come to my mind as teams that are either lost their starters from last year, or seemed like their starters were in question.

Hopefully the Vikings can get AD a QB.

Also might throw Philly in there if they can't reach a deal with McNabb.

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 02:56 PM
I wonder whats gonna happen with the Patriots and Cassel, i know the franchised him, but if Brady is healthy they should just trade him for the team who finishes last and take the number 1 pick in the 2010 draft.

fadada1
2/20/2009, 04:06 PM
kinda thin at QB this year.

i thought harrell was done at tech.

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 04:09 PM
yah he was a senior

sooner518
2/20/2009, 04:15 PM
what about Blomar? Ive seen his name mentioned......

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 04:23 PM
6th round

Collier11
2/20/2009, 04:27 PM
Ive seen Bomar mentioned anywhere from 2nd with good workouts to 6th...who knows how accurate any of that is. I think Stafford is going to be a mega sized bust and I actually think Sanchez will be pretty good in time

Knippz
2/20/2009, 04:38 PM
kinda thin at QB this year.

i thought harrell was done at tech.

No, no, no. He's done with football in general. You've gotta keep up with things.

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 04:52 PM
10 years from now the quarterback with the best stats out of this class will be Josh Freeman.

OU-HSV
2/20/2009, 06:28 PM
Ive seen Bomar mentioned anywhere from 2nd with good workouts to 6th...who knows how accurate any of that is. I think Stafford is going to be a mega sized bust and I actually think Sanchez will be pretty good in time

I agree about Stafford. For some reason I really get the feeling he's the second coming of Ryan Leaf and 10 years from now he'll be in the top 5 of the biggest draft busts ever show that NFL Films puts out.....guess we'll see.

JLEW1818
2/20/2009, 06:35 PM
Maybe the Lions will take another Wide Receiver?? Michael Crabtree??;) :D :D :D

Scott D
2/20/2009, 06:58 PM
Crabtree will be going from Black and red to Silver and Black.

Collier11
2/20/2009, 07:46 PM
not gonna help, the raiders will still suck

TXBOOMER
2/20/2009, 07:50 PM
ha, the cowboys should be

You are correct my friend!

Scott D
2/20/2009, 10:32 PM
not gonna help, the raiders will still suck

still better than the Chefs ;)

badger
2/21/2009, 10:18 AM
I know College Gameday is there for our basketball game... but since Gameday is in Austin, I will definitely not be watching (just got a taste of it on Sportscenter and uggggggh, they only have fans about four-deep in front of the cameras and all they say is "OU Sucks" over and over!)

I really, really hope Duke and Phil have good days. A lot of analysts (what a fun word) have been ragging on them lately and they could really use a strong showing today.

swardboy
2/21/2009, 01:27 PM
When do they trot out the QB's?

Collier11
2/21/2009, 02:48 PM
still better than the Chefs ;)

not for long, and we didnt even have to give a cb $28 million gauranteed to do it :pop: :D

OU-HSV
2/21/2009, 03:11 PM
When do they trot out the QB's?

QBs, WRs and RBs start tomorrow from what I saw on a preview last night

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2009, 09:22 PM
My top 5 Quarterbacks

1. Matthew Stafford... Top 3 pick
2. Mark Sanchez........ First Round pick
3. Josh Freeman......... 2-3rd round pick
4. Nate Davis.............?
5. Pat White .............?

STEP what round you think Davis and White end up? If they both have above average combines. ?

I think Davis is a 3-5 round pick...His arm strength is pretty darn good...Pat White anywhere from 4-6...Seem teams would like to use him the wild(fill in the blank) formation...

I agree with your top 3, but those guys are interchangeable...I m guessing by the time the combine is over its

1. Freeman
2. Sanchez
3. Stafford
4. Bomar
5. Davis

Just to let you know how weak this class is..Stephen McGee is getting a lot of looks and will probably be drafted, late, but still drafted..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2009, 09:27 PM
Loadholt with a 5.54 40
Duke ran a 5.27
Brandon Walker with a 5.17 ( Darn good time, top 8 for the OL)..2nd highest vertical, top 10 finish in long jump
Jon Cooper with a 5.19( finished in the top 10 in different categories including 31 reps on the bench)

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2009, 09:28 PM
Other news, Crabtree measured 6'1, 2 inches shorter than listed at TT..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2009, 09:38 PM

Jets, Lions, Vikings, Tampa Bay..I don't think Philly will be looking

Scott D
2/21/2009, 09:46 PM
Pretty safe to say Philly isn't looking as they're looking to sign McNabb to an extension. Could probably throw 49ers into that mix though, even if they are actually willing to pull the trigger on a Vick deal.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/21/2009, 09:51 PM
I haven't kept up much with it, but some of that may hinge on reworking out the Alex Smith contract

Scott D
2/22/2009, 12:25 AM
I don't think Smith is long for San Fran as long as he's not much of a cap hit. Say hello to Tim Couch part deux.

Collier11
2/22/2009, 01:26 PM
Apparently Iglesias ran a 4.51 and 4.54, thats pretty good for him but once again I ask, why do all of our stud skill position players run slow times. Does Jerry Schmidt need to look at doing things differently?

CrimsonJim
2/22/2009, 04:10 PM
Since the Phloriduh trolls tried to pound it into our brains, 40 times are still a burning subject for me and I would like be the one to point out that on NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers?tabIndex=0#tp-tab-set-1:tp-grid-container-forty-yard-dash), Percy Harvin's real 40-yard dash time is 4.41, not the super-human speed of 4.28 as posted on "the wall". :rolleyes:

tulsaoilerfan
2/22/2009, 04:52 PM
Anyone know why Manny didn't run?

soonerfan28
2/22/2009, 07:19 PM
Did anybody else see that Beanie Wells is much slower then people said he was. He ran a 4.59 compared to people saying that he was in the 4.4's.

Curly Bill
2/22/2009, 07:52 PM
There's not many bigger crocks in the world then what kid's supposed 40 times are in college...

...except for their supposed high school 40 times that is.

Collier11
2/22/2009, 08:02 PM
I dont understand why coaches and players fib on their 40 times, height, weight, etc... it is always found out eventually, doesnt make any sense

soonerinabilene
2/22/2009, 08:03 PM
Jets, Lions, Vikings, Tampa Bay..I don't think Philly will be looking

Ive been thinking that the Lions are going to go after Vick, and try to rebuild their program around the rebuilding of his career. I wouldnt be surprised if the Vikes take a look at Bomar in the 2nd or 3rd round if they dont have a qb by then. Would be interesting to see him handing off to AD again.

CrimsonJim
2/22/2009, 08:32 PM
There's not many bigger crocks in the world then what kid's supposed 40 times are in college...

...except for their supposed high school 40 times that is.

You know that.......

and I know that......

but Phloriduh don't know that!

Curly Bill
2/22/2009, 08:37 PM
You know that.......

and I know that......

but Phloriduh don't know that!

The way they kept going on about 40 times is one of the gheyer things ever on here.

...and that's saying something!

starclassic tama
2/22/2009, 11:28 PM
not to mention one of their corners talking about he runs a 4.32 which is good enough for like 7th on the team... so harvin must have been middle of the road on the team in terms of speed, right...

Scott D
2/22/2009, 11:54 PM
Ive been thinking that the Lions are going to go after Vick, and try to rebuild their program around the rebuilding of his career. I wouldnt be surprised if the Vikes take a look at Bomar in the 2nd or 3rd round if they dont have a qb by then. Would be interesting to see him handing off to AD again.

Not a chance the Lions go after Vick. In fact, there is a 99.999% chance that Michael Vick will be sporting a blue star on his helmet next season before he'll be a Lion.

CrimsonJim
2/23/2009, 12:40 AM
Not a chance the Lions go after Vick. In fact, there is a 99.999% chance that Michael Vick will be sporting a blue star on his helmet next season before he'll be a Lion.

Oh HAELL no! If that happens, I will be looking for another team. :mad:

Scott D
2/23/2009, 06:22 AM
Oh HAELL no! If that happens, I will be looking for another team. :mad:

I'm not saying it will happen, just that it's far more likely that it would happen than the scenario introduced by a previous poster in this thread.

If reinstated he's most likely going to be traded to the 49ers.

AlbqSooner
2/23/2009, 07:12 AM
Vick needs to go to the Browns. They do, or did, have "The Dog Pound".

badger
2/23/2009, 09:11 AM
I dont understand why coaches and players fib on their 40 times, height, weight, etc... it is always found out eventually, doesnt make any sense

attention, I guess.

I wouldnt be surprised if the Vikes take a look at Bomar in the 2nd or 3rd round if they dont have a qb by then. Would be interesting to see him handing off to AD again.

or, you know, just try to run the ball himself and watch him fumble :rolleyes:

Vick suffers from the same stigma that Favre did... which really is not suffering at all: People thought he was better than he really was.

I can say that now that Favre's retired and the Packer blinders are off :)

Vick's best career QB numbers are worse than Ryan's rookie numbers. The only reason he got a lot of attention was because he scrambled a lot and did things no other QB really did (kind of like Favre chucking TD passes out of nowhere... which overshadowed the 75 percent-of-the-time when he chucked up an INT instead).

As such, any team, including Dallas, would be foolish to take on Vick... not saying they weren't foolish to take on Pacman. It would be another PR nightmare, as Cowboy fans here have eluded to already.

badger
2/23/2009, 09:12 AM
Aww, I can't believe I was talking about Vick on the Combine thread :mad:

Can anyone give a report on what the Sooners did this weekend? I got to see a few WR and OL drills with our guys, but not the final numbers and how they rank up against everyone else.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2009, 10:13 AM
Loadholt with a 5.54 40..one of the worst
Duke ran a 5.27..middle tier
Brandon Walker with a 5.17 (top 8 for the OL)..2nd highest vertical(34 in.), top 10 finish in long jump
Jon Cooper with a 5.19( finished in the top 10 in different categories including 31 reps on the bench)
Iggy ran a 4.51 but nothing else
Manny didn't run

OU4LIFE
2/23/2009, 10:19 AM
thanks STEP.

ouleaf
2/23/2009, 11:01 AM
Here's a pretty good site that has results for pretty much all the guys.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/combine/wr.html

Looks like Cooper is testing pretty well. He should get some pretty serious looks come draft time. If undrafted, he'll definitely sign on with some team in the NFL.

Was surprised to see Booger Daniel run so slow, and that he actually measured in at 6'0"

Also wouldn't read too much into Beanie Wells running in around a 4.6. At 235, that is plenty of speed to run over guys at the next level with his size.

soonerfan28
2/23/2009, 11:06 AM
Here's a pretty good site that has results for pretty much all the guys.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2009/combine/wr.html

Looks like Cooper is testing pretty well. He should get some pretty serious looks come draft time. If undrafted, he'll definitely sign on with some team in the NFL.

Was surprised to see Booger Daniel run so slow, and that he actually measured in at 6'0"

[B]Also wouldn't read too much into Beanie Wells running in around a 4.6. At 235, that is plenty of speed to run over guys at the next level with his size.

I'm just saying that people all season said he had 4.4 speed at his size. Maybe it's still that heel injury he had.

Collier11
2/23/2009, 11:41 AM
Remember when we were all told that Bomar runs a 4.5, well im pretty sure he ran a 4.8 and Pat white who ran all over us only ran a 4.55

ouleaf
2/23/2009, 11:43 AM
I'm just saying that people all season said he had 4.4 speed at his size. Maybe it's still that heel injury he had.

Maybe you're right about the injury....I'm of the belief now that hardly anybody really runs what they are billed to run across the board (RBs, WRs, and DBs). I'm not an tOSU fan by any means....I just remember when I watched him run in games, he was plenty fast.

badger
2/23/2009, 11:57 AM
Also wouldn't read too much into Beanie Wells running in around a 4.6. At 235, that is plenty of speed to run over guys at the next level with his size.

the big ten is slow once again :D

oh, and I did a search for "nfl combine oklahoma" just to throw a net in an empty pond and all, and came up with this (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-22-nfl-combine-stockfeb22,0,111859.story):

Oklahoma State TE Brandon Pettigrew . He's supposed to be the top tight end in the draft, but Pettigrew (above) was unimpressive in almost everything he did, including his 4.87 40-yard dash.

and this (http://pennstate.scout.com/a.z?s=157&p=2&c=841317):

Oklahoma safety Nic Harris believes he's already shown NFL clubs some good things that he can bring to their organizations. And he's looking forward to building upon that at the NFL Combine when he begins the process with the other defensive backs on Sunday.
During Senior Bowl week, Harris was moved to the linebacker position during practices even though his experience at that position was light. Some NFL clubs wanted to see how he could handle the position as they consider him a candidate to play either safety or linebacker. While it took Harris out of his element, he saw it as a good opportunity to send a positive message to NFL teams.

"I think I left the impression that I can play anywhere on the field," he told Scout.com during an exclusive interview. "I believe that I showed them that I'm the kind of guy that, if thrown a curve ball, I'm willing to swing."

Harris has been working hard to improve his speed and his overall physical conditioning for the Combine.

"I want to make an even better impression at the Combine than I did during Senior Bowl week," he said. "I understand that I have to have fun with it as well—a lot of guys are getting stressed out and are coming out and performing tense--but I want to be as loose as I possibly can and allow my body to perform to its utmost."

Scott D
2/23/2009, 12:03 PM

well considering that Percy Harvin didn't break the sound barrier like Florida posters seemed to believe he did regularly, I wouldn't read much into his 4.6 and having a previous 4.4 time at one point.

badger
2/23/2009, 12:28 PM
well considering that Percy Harvin didn't break the sound barrier like Florida posters seemed to believe he did regularly, I wouldn't read much into his 4.6 and having a previous 4.4 time at one point.

After all the MK talk last year, we probably should have all remembered that the circumstances involving the 40 timing - ground surface in particular - factor into faster 40-times.

As such, Florida probably setup their wind-assisted feel-good course with the bounciest material possible... and maybe a few man-eating gators chomping up the rear for added effect. Then, like that carnival crook that tells your 5-year-old that he just threw a 75 mph fastball, UF tells their receivers that they all ran 3-second 40-yard-dashes.

The SEC: We aren't any speedier than the Big 10, but our coaches and fans tell us we are.

Rhino
2/23/2009, 12:35 PM
In MK's case, it was more due to the fact he was running on one knee, not ground surface.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2009, 01:42 PM
Thats an interesting note on Pettigrew, considering that he was considered one of the top performers out of the tight ends...I don't anybody expected a fast 40 out of him

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2009, 01:46 PM
Rhett Bomar is having an excellent combine...great short shuttle, good 3 cone, good 40 considering the ACL tear...Josh Freeman is doing well..

This has to be the fastest DT group in the history of the combine

Mike Goodson ran a 4.54 40, which I was expecting something in the 4.45-4.5 range

Josh Freeman measured in a legit 6'6....This guy is gonna get paid big

Widescreen
2/23/2009, 02:00 PM
Josh Freeman measured in a legit 6'6....This guy is gonna get paid big

You're probably right. I don't think anybody doubts his physical tools. I'm not convinced he's got good decision-making skills. Time will tell.

badger
2/23/2009, 02:08 PM
In MK's case, it was more due to the fact he was running on one knee, not ground surface.

It was his excuse, not mine ;)

Rhett Bomar is having an excellent combine...great short shuttle, good 3 cone, good 40 considering the ACL tear...Josh Freeman is doing well..
I agree on RB, disagree on Freeman. He really needed to be faster to up his stock as a two-option qb. His stats this past year were OK (and I know he had crazy-good competition in the Big 12), so he can't fall back on that. Being tall only goes so far, even at QB.

Brett Romar is doing what he needs to in order to be consider a first-day pick (no, still can't get myself to type that name because of what happened a few years ago... yes, I know it was several years ago, but I'm still not over it).

Mike Goodson ran a 4.54 40, which I was expecting something in the 4.45-4.5 range

This is especially bad when he's not a built RB like, say, tOSU's Beanie (didn't he also have a 4.5+ 40 yarder?). Goodson is built like someone who is supposed to have WR speed, like DeMarco.

Maybe making money at aTm all these year for losing performances has finally caught up with him? ;)

CrimsonJim
2/23/2009, 02:27 PM
The SEC: We aren't any speedier than the Big 10, but our coaches and fans tell us we are.

Now that's funny, right thar. Thanks badge, got me a new sig now! :D

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2009, 03:58 PM
It was his excuse, not mine ;)

I agree on RB, disagree on Freeman. He really needed to be faster to up his stock as a two-option qb. His stats this past year were OK (and I know he had crazy-good competition in the Big 12), so he can't fall back on that. Being tall only goes so far, even at QB.

Brett Romar is doing what he needs to in order to be consider a first-day pick (no, still can't get myself to type that name because of what happened a few years ago... yes, I know it was several years ago, but I'm still not over it).

This is especially bad when he's not a built RB like, say, tOSU's Beanie (didn't he also have a 4.5+ 40 yarder?). Goodson is built like someone who is supposed to have WR speed, like DeMarco.

Maybe making money at aTm all these year for losing performances has finally caught up with him? ;)

From what I hear, nobody is interested in Freeman as a dual threat quarterback..they want him to stand tall in the pocket, and he has decent escapability..And not one NFL team cares about his stats..last years top quarterback taken threw 19 picks his senior year...He has all the raw tools they are looking for..

I think since the NFL draft went to 2 rounds the first day, 5 rounds the next, Bomar will be a 2nd day'r...

badger
2/23/2009, 04:17 PM
Yeah, a lot of teams have a lot invested in their current QB's, so I guess it depends on those looking for now-QB's and QB's of the future getting in the right drafting situation. L'ville's Brian Brohm and the Matt Damon impersonator from LSU fell into GB's lap last year, for example.

But some QB's out there did not do a lot for their stock... like USC's Sanchez. I did not see it, but I heard his accuracy was off. His 40 form looked quite ugly, too, like he's never had a sprinting coach.

Scott D
2/23/2009, 04:38 PM
not to mention, Josh Freeman has never been at the college level a dual threat QB. He's a big QB with a big arm, that can be hard to bring down (as evidenced by our game), and will run if he has to.

of course, step and I both think that he's going to be a very solid pro. I also agree in regards to Bomar as well. He's a 3rd to 5th round pick right now.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2009, 04:40 PM
If Nate Hybl was in this draft class, he'd be at least a 3rd round pick..

JLEW1818
2/23/2009, 04:57 PM
Freeman will end up being the best outta this class i think

badger
2/23/2009, 06:05 PM
If Nate Hybl was in this draft class, he'd be at least a 3rd round pick..

Hey now, don't knock the knate! He remains, to this day, the only Stoops-recruited QB to make a non-practice squad NFL roster.

It amazes me, it really does, considering the talent we've had at that position, and the streak may continue into next season if RB gets cut in preseason (payroll issues, IMHO, will keep some teams from having more than two QB's on the main roster and have the third on the practice squad)

But in any event, the list of QB's is pretty good and I'm surprised more of them didn't get time in the NFL... Josh Heupel, Jason White, Paul Thompson... it's a shame, but it seems they've all done well in life outside the league :)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/23/2009, 07:23 PM
step, the only thing i'm going to add is that i'm shocked that pettigrew moved ahead of coffman. coffman to me is the larry fitzgerald of tight end prospects. he may not look fast, flashy or whatever, but he always comes down with the ball. he is the perfect garbage man in the NFL (4 receptions a game, all for 1st downs). while, he isn't as athletic as tony gonzalez was (who also was a all pac 10 guy in bball), that is who i would characterize him as.

pettigrew reminds me of all of the georgia TEs that have come out and been meh in the league. they are athletic as crap, can block, and run but you can cover them with a practice team linebacker because they can't run routes, get open or catch anything not hitting them between the numbers.

if i'm a GM this year, i have to look at the defensive side of the ball in the 1st round.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/23/2009, 08:48 PM
After the workouts that the D lineman have been having, I wouldn't doubt this being a 85 percent defensive 1st round.

I'm really not shocked at Pettigrew moving ahead. He looks the part more than Coffman and thats what this whole thing is turning into..a beauty pageant..

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2009, 01:29 PM
Nic Harris with a 4.84 40 and Lendy with a 4.71...Nic's isn't as damaging as Lendy's with his switch to LB

primetime43
2/24/2009, 01:36 PM
Nic Harris with a 4.84 40 and Lendy with a 4.71...Nic's isn't as damaging as Lendy's with his switch to LB

ouch! Wow and Lendy used to be a receiver!

Knippz
2/24/2009, 01:38 PM
coffman to me is the larry fitzgerald of tight end prospects.

Maybe this year. I picture Gresham as more of the "Fitz" of tight ends. But better.

Collier11
2/24/2009, 01:46 PM
I just cant believe that, how many times did Lendy run down a WR or RB from behind this year...why are we SO slow

Widescreen
2/24/2009, 01:50 PM
Lendy plays so much faster than that.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2009, 01:50 PM
I dunno..maybe they should put a ball carrier a few yards in front of him and let him chase him down..

badger
2/24/2009, 01:55 PM
I think the prime factor is the layover between flights, if you will.

They landed on Jan. 8. They've been waiting to take off again since then, nearly two month's layover. Whether they chose to hit up the snack bar and do nothing but eat airplane peanuts, or whether they researched the flight's forecasted weather and reviewed the info to make sure there'd be no delays, cancelations or gate changes is up to them.

It is no longer up to the coaches, trainers or university to make sure they are prepared for their future. There's no agents allowed at the Combine. Those players might be intro'd as being from a certain school, but it is all about them as individuals on their workout day.

It appears that some, like Phil Loadholt who lost 11 lbs since Senior Bowl, took his workout seriously. Others, who were a lot slower than projected, may have been playing too many video games in their offseason :(

soonerfan28
2/24/2009, 02:03 PM
Yea, I heard Patsy Jones say that they both ran slow. They play much faster then that in pads on the field though.

BoulderSooner79
Yep, these combines are critical. It's not just the money that quickly tails off down the draft board; it's also the number of chances given to make the team. The 2nd day guys only get so many snaps to impress the coaches and they are competing against a zillion other guys. The incumbent players, other draftees, free agents, practice squad players from all teams and hundreds of other guys on speed-dial working construction who were close to making it in previous years. These guys need to be at their best.

Gandalf_The_Grey
40 times aren't really indicative of speed. If you watch Mike Goodson run and tell me he isn't one of the quickest and fastest football players you have ever seen then I will laugh at you. The 40 time is taken within the context of the drills as well. If a guy runs a 4.38 40 but has horrible hips, footwork, size, and/or hands then he still isn't going in the first half of the draft unless a team has no needs and can take a flier on his future, which most teams can not do in the first 4 rounds.

SoonersEnFuego
2/24/2009, 02:18 PM
I dunno..maybe they should put a ball carrier a few yards in front of him and let him chase him down..
That ---↑ is hilarious!

ouleaf
2/24/2009, 02:34 PM
I'm really shocked to see such slow times from both Nic and Lendy. Maybe it's just bad technique. Did anyone see a video of them running? Maybe they aren't quick at the start and lose a couple tenths. How often do you have a situation in football where you go from stopped to full on sprint. A WR might do that a couple plays a game. But not all that often.

Gandalf_The_Grey
2/24/2009, 02:42 PM
Personally I will take the guys at the bottom

4.3’s: 3/18 or 17%
Javon Walker; 1st Round, 2002; 4.38
Lee Evans; 1st Round, 2004; 4.39
Matt Jones; 1st Round, 2005; 4.37

4.4’s: 6/46 or 13%
Deion Branch; 2nd Round, 2002; 4.47
Andre Johnson; 1st Round, 2003; 4.40
Roy Williams; 1st Round, 2004; 4.48
Reggie Brown; 2nd Round, 2005; 4.45
Mark Clayton; 1st Round, 2005; 4.41
Greg Jennings; 2nd Round, 2006; 4.42

4.5’s: 7/60 or 12%
Antonio Bryant; 2nd Round, 2002; 4.57
David Givens; 7th Round, 2002; 4.56
Nate Burleson; 3rd Round, 2003; 4.51
Arnaz Battle; 6th Round, 2003; 4.58
Bernard Berrian; 3rd Round, 2004; 4.58
Jerricho Cotchery; 4th Round, 2004; 4.54
Marques Colston; 7th Round, 2006; 4.50

4.6’s: 4/29 or 14%
Brandon Lloyd; 4th Round, 2003; 4.62
Larry Fitzgerald; 1st Round, 2004; 4.63
Michael Clayton; 1st Round, 2004; 4.67
Michael Jenkins; 1st Round, 2004; 4.60

4.7’s: 2/10 or 20%
Anquan Boldin; 2nd Round, 2003; 4.72
Ernest Wilford; 4th Round, 2004; 4.79

starclassic tama
2/24/2009, 03:39 PM
like USC's Sanchez. I did not see it, but I heard his accuracy was off. His 40 form looked quite ugly, too, like he's never had a sprinting coach.

40 times for passing quarterbacks mean absolutely nothing. i'm not even convinced they mean much at all, period. the 10-20 times matter way more than the 40

badger
2/24/2009, 04:00 PM
40 times for passing quarterbacks mean absolutely nothing. i'm not even convinced they mean much at all, period. the 10-20 times matter way more than the 40

:P i bet accuracy matters for a passing qb, though

badger
2/24/2009, 04:04 PM
Yep, these combines are critical. It's not just the money that quickly tails off down the draft board; it's also the number of chances given to make the team. The 2nd day guys only get so many snaps to impress the coaches and they are competing against a zillion other guys. The incumbent players, other draftees, free agents, practice squad players from all teams and hundreds of other guys on speed-dial working construction who were close to making it in previous years. These guys need to be at their best.

nail on the head. fortunately for those players who attended major universities and not some of these borderline i-aa/championship subdivision teams, they will have a second chance to impress scouts at their schools respective pro days.

For the rest, though, it's do-or-die. Maybe that's why we're seeing pretty good performances outta some of these Joe Flacco of Delaware types... either that or they're just that d@mn good

stoops the eternal pimp
2/24/2009, 05:13 PM
Personally I will take the guys at the bottom

4.3’s: 3/18 or 17%
Javon Walker; 1st Round, 2002; 4.38
Lee Evans; 1st Round, 2004; 4.39
Matt Jones; 1st Round, 2005; 4.37

4.4’s: 6/46 or 13%
Deion Branch; 2nd Round, 2002; 4.47
Andre Johnson; 1st Round, 2003; 4.40
Roy Williams; 1st Round, 2004; 4.48
Reggie Brown; 2nd Round, 2005; 4.45
Mark Clayton; 1st Round, 2005; 4.41
Greg Jennings; 2nd Round, 2006; 4.42

4.5’s: 7/60 or 12%
Antonio Bryant; 2nd Round, 2002; 4.57
David Givens; 7th Round, 2002; 4.56
Nate Burleson; 3rd Round, 2003; 4.51
Arnaz Battle; 6th Round, 2003; 4.58
Bernard Berrian; 3rd Round, 2004; 4.58
Jerricho Cotchery; 4th Round, 2004; 4.54
Marques Colston; 7th Round, 2006; 4.50

4.6’s: 4/29 or 14%
Brandon Lloyd; 4th Round, 2003; 4.62
Larry Fitzgerald; 1st Round, 2004; 4.63
Michael Clayton; 1st Round, 2004; 4.67
Michael Jenkins; 1st Round, 2004; 4.60

4.7’s: 2/10 or 20%
Anquan Boldin; 2nd Round, 2003; 4.72
Ernest Wilford; 4th Round, 2004; 4.79

Well Boldin and Fitgerald are both great receivers...But I would take Andre Johnson over anybody...in those bottom 2 categories, You have Boldin and Fitzgerald, and then some pretty average to mediocre receivers..

Myself, I would still take more of the guys at the top than the bottom

starclassic tama
2/24/2009, 10:55 PM
:P i bet accuracy matters for a passing qb, though

really? what makes you think that?

badger
2/25/2009, 11:15 AM
Moving right along...

Is there any word in which teams are most interested in our guys? I know Dallas has always had an interest in larger o-line guys (I can vividly remember the 95 NFC Championship where their o-line dwarfed the Packer d-line with few exceptions... Gilbert Brown), so that might be a possibility.

There is only one team I really follow and I am not sure we would have a place for another WR with the guys we already have. The o-line has been pretty solid for years (but of course you have to credit the guys under center for that too)... but I must say that I've been quite angry at our defensive secondary... and I really, really want there to be some Sooner for me to brag about with the Packers :)

So anyways, if you all have any inklings about where our guys can make a roster, please advise!

NormanPride
2/25/2009, 11:52 AM
really? what makes you think that?

I'm going to ask you to stop posting in this thread.

SoonersEnFuego
2/25/2009, 12:52 PM
The kicker from USC (Buehler) outbenched Rey Maualuga: 25 freaking times!
Jim Rome is going off about it. Hilarious.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2009, 01:04 PM
not getting much info, but I heard this morning from a couple of sources they think that Nic Harris 40 time probably dropped him from the 4th to the 5th round(bout 25 spots was their guess)...

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
2/25/2009, 01:09 PM
not getting much info, but I heard this morning from a couple of sources they think that Nic Harris 40 time probably dropped him from the 4th to the 5th round(bout 25 spots was their guess)...

that is a lot higher than i figured he'd go. he is at this point the definition of "tweener".

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2009, 01:17 PM
I think the reason some have him that high is because he had a great week at the Senior Bowl...he started off slow but really stood out the last half of the week..And this group of linebackers drops off big time after the first 5....

NormanPride
2/25/2009, 03:10 PM
It'll be hard for him to make a practice squad, IMO. He may get drafted, but that's just half the battle. Lendy reminds me of Woolfolk in that he's really talented, but just doesn't seem to make plays everywhere like career NFL guys do.

I wish for the best for them, but it's going to be hard!

badger
2/25/2009, 03:18 PM
The list of our guys to watch this draft season, as per ESPN:

Branndon Braxton OT 6'5" 315
Quentin Chaney WR 6'4" 205
Jon Cooper OC 6'2" 275
Nic Harris OLB 6'2" 233
Lendy Holmes S 6'0" 205
Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'0" 204
Manuel Johnson WR 5'10" 186
Phil Loadholt OT 6'8" 343
Duke Robinson OG 6'5" 335
Brandon Walker OG 6'3" 305
John Williams DE 6'5" 255

Any word of when or where each of these guys will go, if at all?

starclassic tama
2/25/2009, 03:48 PM
The list of our guys to watch this draft season, as per ESPN:

Branndon Braxton OT 6'5" 315 undrafted
Quentin Chaney WR 6'4" 205 undrafted
Jon Cooper OC 6'2" 275 5th round or below
Nic Harris OLB 6'2" 233 4th round or below
Lendy Holmes S 6'0" 205 6th round or below
Juaquin Iglesias WR 6'0" 204 3rd round or below
Manuel Johnson WR 5'10" 186 6th round or below
Phil Loadholt OT 6'8" 343 4th round or below
Duke Robinson OG 6'5" 335 2nd round or below
Brandon Walker OG 6'3" 305 undrafted
John Williams DE 6'5" 255 undrafted

Any word of when or where each of these guys will go, if at all?.

OU4LIFE
2/25/2009, 04:31 PM

nice post. best one so far.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/25/2009, 04:46 PM
It'll be hard for him to make a practice squad, IMO. He may get drafted, but that's just half the battle. Lendy reminds me of Woolfolk in that he's really talented, but just doesn't seem to make plays everywhere like career NFL guys do.

I wish for the best for them, but it's going to be hard!

if he ends up falling to 6th or 7th, then he would probably go that route...if he does manage to sneak into the 5th, he will most likely make a team...He would be better off if the Senior Bowl was after the Combine...

I just don't think Lendy has much of a shot at all now

Scott D
2/25/2009, 05:07 PM
not unless he improves his 40 time by at least .15 seconds at the OU Pro Day.

badger
2/26/2009, 08:42 AM
http://i43.tinypic.com/1zggw44.jpg
Not ready to give up discussing this yet. What do our guys need to do in order to

(a) get drafted
(b) make an nfl roster

Guys like Duke seem to be pretty set on not only getting drafted but also making a roster, but most seem like they could use some advice... not necessarily ours, but what will their coaches and agents tell them to do?

primetime43
2/26/2009, 09:27 AM
I can't believe Cheney didn't get an invite to the combine. He just needs to impress the scouts on his pro day. I really think he has the package to make it in the NFL.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/26/2009, 09:36 AM
Duke down to 327 was a big step...There is talk about moving him to a tackle position and he needed to lose the pounds to get quicker feet..

Loadholt is gonna get picked but his stock has dropped because he has shown he is not a LT in the NFL...but he can play RT..he will get a 4th round selection probably

Iglesias is all over the board..I've seen him as high as late 2nd, as late as the 5th...I think he is a 3rd round pick myself...

Manny had a decent senior bowl the few days he was down there but he is gonna have to run a great 40 at his size to earn a pick...My opinion is RFA but he could be a 6 or 7 round

Brandon Walker has some decent workouts..his numbers were better than both Duke and Phil...He was kinda my sleeper going into this..He will be drafted IMO..just haven't spent enough time figuring out when

Jon Cooper had the kind of combine he needed...I think he worked out at 292 which he probably still could use more weight....Good thing for him this was pretty average center group...late 5 early 6

Lendy will not be drafted IMO..He'll need to go to a camp that fits the OU style of D and try and get in...His best shot was gonna be playing corner but 4.71 won't cut it..

Nic Harris..Like I said earlier, after the Senior Bowl, he became a pretty hot prospect, but his 40 time was so pedestrian....quite a few defensive tackles ran a better time...but luckily for him this was a pretty slow linebacker core...Laurenitis ran a 4.82...Anyway he's down to the 5th right now, maybe lower depending on how the linebackers in front of him slide down.

That must be an old list that ESPN has up on their draft tracker..

Mjcpr
2/26/2009, 10:56 AM
Every year at combine time I am reminded of either a) how slow our teams are or b) how inflated/overstated every team's speed is.

NormanPride
2/26/2009, 11:02 AM
They kept up with Florida pretty damn well, so I'm not worried.

Still, it's easy to see we didn't have a game breaker at WR, and it killed us in the OB.

ouleaf
2/26/2009, 11:41 AM
Duke down to 327 was a big step...There is talk about moving him to a tackle position and he needed to lose the pounds to get quicker feet..

Loadholt is gonna get picked but his stock has dropped because he has shown he is not a LT in the NFL...but he can play RT..he will get a 4th round selection probably

Iglesias is all over the board..I've seen him as high as late 2nd, as late as the 5th...I think he is a 3rd round pick myself...

Manny had a decent senior bowl the few days he was down there but he is gonna have to run a great 40 at his size to earn a pick...My opinion is RFA but he could be a 6 or 7 round

Brandon Walker has some decent workouts..his numbers were better than both Duke and Phil...He was kinda my sleeper going into this..He will be drafted IMO..just haven't spent enough time figuring out when

Jon Cooper had the kind of combine he needed...I think he worked out at 292 which he probably still could use more weight....Good thing for him this was pretty average center group...late 5 early 6

Lendy will not be drafted IMO..He'll need to go to a camp that fits the OU style of D and try and get in...His best shot was gonna be playing corner but 4.71 won't cut it..

Nic Harris..Like I said earlier, after the Senior Bowl, he became a pretty hot prospect, but his 40 time was so pedestrian....quite a few defensive tackles ran a better time...but luckily for him this was a pretty slow linebacker core...Laurenitis ran a 4.82...Anyway he's down to the 5th right now, maybe lower depending on how the linebackers in front of him slide down.

Duke - Not sure if he can play the Tackle position. I think he'd be better off sticking to a Guard spot. Probably be drafted higher if he stays there.

Loadholt - has some work to do. As the season wore on, i think he probably became less and less appealing. struggled against speedy guys, and not quite as strong as others

Jauquin I think will probably drop a little bit after some other WR's seemed to really shine at the combine and he really didn't work out. Maybe 3rd or 4th round

I don't think Manny is gonna get drafted. He'll have to work his butt off to even make a practice squad unfortunately.

Walker & Cooper - I think these guys have really impressed at the combine. Cooper, I think, has the tools to be All-Pro one day. If Walker can have a solid Pro Day, he might be a late 6-7 round guy.

Lendy - Yikes, he did himself no favors unfortunately. Even if he has a pretty good Pro-Day, I don't think he has much of a chance.

Nic - I think for his sake he should make the switch to OLB. I don't think he's going to be able to cut it at S in the NFL. And his 40 time is comparable to most other OLB's that ran at the combine. He has great football knowledge and instincts, so I think a switch would come pretty naturally for him.

Collier11
3/20/2009, 11:11 AM
STEP, apparently Derick Williams improved his combine 40 time from a 4.59 and 4.6ish to a 4.37 at pro day. Does this get him to the 1st day, that is a crazy improvement, he must not have been healthy at the combine?

JLEW1818
3/20/2009, 11:17 AM
i heard B. Wells had a crazy 40 time at the ohio state pro day?? any word of this/ ?

Collier11
3/20/2009, 11:23 AM
He ran a 4.39 which is another big improvement

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11497275/rss

soonerfan28
3/20/2009, 12:11 PM
I think you run faster on certain surfaces. Don't know if that was a factor for Wells or not.

Collier11
3/20/2009, 12:59 PM
going from 4.6-4.3 is a big jump though

stoops the eternal pimp
3/20/2009, 01:22 PM
STEP, apparently Derick Williams improved his combine 40 time from a 4.59 and 4.6ish to a 4.37 at pro day. Does this get him to the 1st day, that is a crazy improvement, he must not have been healthy at the combine?

By now, most teams know who and where they want to take a guy, so it may push him on up into round 2 but not likely IMO...If he would have ran the 4.37 at the Combine, no question...plus from what I just heard, he didn't do a great job catching the ball..

The Beanie Wells time will be taken with a grain of salt...two places that possible have the fastest tracks

1. Syracuse
2. Ohio State