PDA

View Full Version : Med Students/Doctors

SteelClip49
2/20/2009, 09:18 AM
I never really had a grasp of what you all went through in med school until I actually got to witness it with the job i am doing right now. Perhaps I have seen 75 percent of what all you go through and I am just talking about first and second year students because that is what I am around on a daily basis.

What is a typical day like for first and second year students is basically what I am asking? I know you go to classes, go back to your mods and study, eat, more classes, labs, etc. But, what would be an exact detailed outline of a typical day for you and how much YOU time do you really have?

frankensooner
2/20/2009, 10:58 AM
starclassic tama is pre-med. He can let you know about med school in the Domincan Republic in a few years.

soonerbrat
2/20/2009, 11:57 AM
i think the most fun thing my ex husband did when he was in medical school was stick a qtip up his butt and put it on a petri dish to see what would grow.

OUDoc
2/20/2009, 12:29 PM
i think the most fun thing my ex husband did when he was in medical school was stick a qtip up his butt and put it on a petri dish to see what would grow.
Mine didn't grow nuthin' (I think I used too much restraint during insertion). A girl in my mod let me swipe some of her E. Coli. She had a crush on me. :)

OUstudent4life
2/20/2009, 01:06 PM
"There are only 2 groups of people that know what Med School is like. Medical Students and Doctors" (- former OU Dean)

1st and 2nd year totally depend on how you approach your own education. Each semester you're taking the equivalent of approximately 30 to 35 hours of college coursework.

From what I can remember of 1st year:

MWF: 8-12 - classes. 12-1 lunch. Then 2x a week anatomy lab or more classes in the afternoon.

TuTh: 8-12 classes. The one Tu or Th you shadow a doc all afternoon or have a class on interviews/physical exam

2nd year is similar, but more classes and less lab.

Then 3 times a semester you have "test block," where you have 4 tests in 5 days over the classes. I averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night the week before and during test block, but I was a crammer.

Otherwise, you're studying. You were caught up exactly 4 times a semester: the 1st day, and the weekends after test blocks.

Also, this all depends on if you go to class. There is someone in each class that is taking (hopefully) good notes, and then receives an mp3 of the class. They retype their notes in outline format and you can buy them (notegroups...awesome). Some classes are absolutely required, some not so much, and it totally depends on your learning style.

It was a weird adjustment. You have to re-learn how to study. And I made time for me (movies, books, tv) or I would have gone crazy. Med school wasn't my life, it was part of my life.

OUstudent4life
2/20/2009, 01:13 PM
Oh, and quickly:

3rd year is the hardest, purely due to the amount of time at school. Studying was both easier and harder...the topics were more specific (surgery, medicine, specific diseases), but you generally had less time to actually study.

4th year (what I am now) is the greatest year of post-graduate education ever conceived.

...but that's 'cause we'll be hitting the wall on July 1.

...and to top it all off, the whole system (1st and 2nd year) is getting a reboot next year.

soonerbrat
2/20/2009, 01:35 PM
Mine didn't grow nuthin' (I think I used too much restraint during insertion). A girl in my mod let me swipe some of her E. Coli. She had a crush on me. :)

you didn't go far enough

Turd_Ferguson
2/20/2009, 01:46 PM
you didn't go far enoughOUDoc has a short qtip?:confused:

OUDoc
2/20/2009, 01:47 PM
you didn't go far enough

Apparently. It seemed far enough at the time. :eek:

SteelClip49
2/20/2009, 02:32 PM
student4life... yeah, that's what I was kind of thinking since I work up here and know a lot of the students through basketball at the Health Club. I notice on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1st year students at least dress up in shirt and tie and I guess attend meetings throughout the city...something like that where they wear their white coats.

OUstudent4life
2/20/2009, 03:09 PM
They're following doctors around at clinics/wards.

SteelClip49
2/20/2009, 03:27 PM
the students sure get treated like royalty around here....deservingly so. Even though I am not a med student...I get to interact with them and ask about all they do and such and it's just awesome listening to what they know and that they are the future of this world.

LilSooner
2/20/2009, 03:55 PM
Dumb question but is it the same for anesthesiologists? I know all about how to become a CRNA but nothing about how you become an anesthesiologist.

AlbqSooner
2/20/2009, 09:15 PM
You become an anesthesiologist by completing med school, a one year internship, and an anesthesiolgy residency. The residency used to be 3 years but may be more now.

In the late 60s I worked at OU Med School Hospital (before there was an OUHSC). I worked in Gastroenterology and my "office" had both a procto table and a flouroscopy table. It was not at all unusual when I arrived at 7:30to have either a med student, intern or resident sleeping on each of the tables. I would wake them and off they would go for another day.