PDA

View Full Version : Who's your #1 seeds?

8timechamps
2/18/2009, 07:15 PM
Who's your early #1 seed projections.

Mine:

East Region: Pittsburgh
South Region: Oklahoma
West Region: Memphis/UConn*
Midwest Region: North Carolina

I really think with UCONN's loss of Dyson, they will lose at least another game and depart the Big East tournament earlier than projected. If that happens, Memphis moves up and takes the 1 seed. If UCONN can bounce back, they could still see a 1 seed.

IronHorseSooner
2/19/2009, 08:32 AM
I agree with you on these. I think UCONN would need to lose a couple more (and they could with a return match at Pitt, at Marquette, and the Big East Tourney) to drop to a #2. The other three are locks. What's maddening is there are people out there who are saying that we are overrated. I don't understand it. We won the Preseason NIT, are the only 1-loss team left, have more wins than anybody else, and are one of only 3 teams (Memphis and the Zags being the other 2) to be undefeated in conference play. I think some of it now is the probability that we will be the first non-ACC/Big East team as #1. Being a Syracuse grad, I can tell you that folks back there think it's their God-given right to be #1, and who be a team from the Great American Wasteland to take it from them? It's arrogance, but that's what it is.

badger
2/19/2009, 08:49 AM
East Region: Pittsburgh
South Region: Oklahoma
West Region: Memphis
Midwest Region: North Carolina

Reasons: UNC is in the almighty ACC, Pitt just had a strong showing on national television, OU only has one loss overall and will likely be No. 1 overall come Selection Sunday.

And now... for the women :D
East: UConn
South: Auburn
Midwest: OU
West: Cal

I am hesitant on only one of those choices - Cal. I think Baylor (currently No. 5 in both polls) will lose soundly to OU in the Big 12 tourney due to some hot shooting streaks by our players... and Kim Mulkey turning too many people to stone. Also, a certain Cardinal school that I will not name is currently at No.4, so it is my hope that Cal beats them up in the pac 10 tourney and solidifies the fourth No. 1 seed.

However, I don't see OU or UConn or Auburn losing in their tourneys... Tennessee of course is an SEC power, but they looked so young against us that I don't see them winning the SEC this year. SHOCK and AWE! :eek:

In any event, look for both OU men and OU women to be one seeds. Is this the first time this has ever happened? Remember that OU was a No. 2 on the men's side in 2002!

IronHorseSooner
2/19/2009, 09:54 AM
Badj,

Yes, it would be the first time. Other schools have done it, UCONN, Duke, and UNC, but it would be the first time for us. Unless you believe ol' Lee Fowler from 2002 who said there were 5 #1 seeds?! If UCONN falls, Memphis is the most logical choice. I don't buy The 'Ville as a #1 seed candidate because they would be 5 or 6 loss team by that point. Duke, Wake, and MSU would be the next 3, but they are threats in name only. Mizzou comes after that, but if and when we dispatch them in Columbia (which now becomes a moral imperative), they would likely remain a 3.