PDA

View Full Version : Wing eaters: question por favor...

JohnnyMack
2/18/2009, 05:40 PM
How hot is too hot? I mean I like me a hot wing and don't mind the heat, but some of those flavors are just obnoxious. And garlic Parmesan. Who the **** eats those?

Frozen Sooner
2/18/2009, 05:44 PM
Depends on the person.

I tried some of those Atomic (or whatever-the ones that are ridiculously hot) wings at BWW once. The flavor on them was decent, but only being able to eat seven or eight at a sitting diminished their appeal.

Generally I'll stick with a three on a four scale just so I can appreciate the flavor better.

Also: if you eat wings any other way than sticking the whole thing in your mouth and pulling all the meat away at once, you're a wussy.

GottaHavePride
2/18/2009, 08:15 PM
Any hot wing that causes as much burning on its way out as it did on its way in is too hot.

For instance: the Vista's "mild" wings are pretty dang hot, but still enjoyable. Their "hot" wings are biological weaponry.

NOTE: R.I.P., The Vista. I await Vista Easter.

JohnnyMack
2/18/2009, 08:49 PM
The Vista?!?! Gone?!?!

GottaHavePride
2/18/2009, 09:04 PM
Dude, the building it was in has been closed for repairs - it's leaning 5 or 6 inches to one side. Everything in that building is closed - no word on when the building will be fixed.

King Crimson
2/18/2009, 09:33 PM
weird about that building.

i like wings, but i don't get the fashion cycle they are on....they kind of disappear for a couple years at a time and then "come back" as the greatest, most important thing of all time when it comes the "good life" of bar patron, poker playing, FHM reading, man card carrying, chest waxing macho man.

i don't get the myriad of flavors fascination, either. it's food science chemical taste bud crack, mostly. like flavored tortillas, if you didn't KNOW it was a chile-pesto tortilla and your eyes were closed...i doubt you could recognize the flavor or even tell the diff from a plain white flour one while eating a burrito. same with wings, to me.

Frozen Sooner
2/18/2009, 09:57 PM
Hey, man, so far as I'm concerned the only flavors that should be on a hot wing is Red Hot and butter (plus bleu cheese).

And I haven't waxed my chest in YEARS.

JohnnyMack
2/18/2009, 10:04 PM
weird about that building.

i like wings, but i don't get the fashion cycle they are on....they kind of disappear for a couple years at a time and then "come back" as the greatest, most important thing of all time when it comes the "good life" of bar patron, poker playing, FHM reading, man card carrying, chest waxing macho man.

i don't get the myriad of flavors fascination, either. it's food science chemical taste bud crack, mostly. like flavored tortillas, if you didn't KNOW it was a chile-pesto tortilla and your eyes were closed...i doubt you could recognize the flavor or even tell the diff from a plain white flour one while eating a burrito. same with wings, to me.

Fat people like me don't consider wings a fad. They are a way of life.

King Crimson
2/18/2009, 10:06 PM

i wasn't talking about the purists, just fad riders. ya know?

just people who need to be told what to like and how to be....and pay 5$ for Axe deodorant and other "products".

setem
2/18/2009, 10:24 PM
I am sorry!

Wings are one of my favorite things on this planet besides beer, ***** and Oklahoma Athletics. I do not like a super hot wing. I like spice dont get me wrong. But I like to make a meal of my wings and if my mouth is burning that is not possible. Wal-Mart has a decent wing that is a rotisserie flavored. I also like the original hot from WingStop it is just hot enough to give it a lovely flavor. I dont mind a garlic parm every now and then but I am not a big fan.

Nothing gets me going though like a the Wal-Mart brand Teriake. It is not hot at all but it has lots of flavor and the Bonds-esk chickens they use have so much meat and Frozen Sooner is correct, if you don't pull the meat off the mini-legs with one big man bite you are not a winger! I also like to pull the small bone out of the wings and pull the meat off the big side. You get all the meat that way and dont leave anything behind.

C&CDean
2/19/2009, 09:54 AM
I eat more wings than anyone on this board. Guaranteed. I eat em' dry. I eat em' wet. I eat em' everywhere from California to Maine. I eat em' with Old Bay up in Baltimore. I eat em' with Blazin' at BWW. I eat em' all.

Here are the only hard, fast rules on wings:

1. If you eat your wings with ranch you are a fag. Blue cheese ONLY.

2. You suck em' off the bone, just like Froze said. If you eat them like a dainty little girl, then you are a fag.

3. You order extra "wing sauce" and dip your wings in it. My personal preference at BWW is to order hot wings, and then dip them in blazing sauce.

4. You eat the celery and/or carrots.

5. Walmart, KFC, etc. don't make decent wings. They're edible, but they're covered in sugar sauce.

SoonerAtKU
2/19/2009, 10:54 AM
I normally make my own and use a standard hot sauce/butter mix. Recently, I made my own teriyaki sauce, though and that turned out really well. Much better than expected. Here are a few other wing rules I've come up with in my years of enjoyment:

1. A good wing should not be so saucy that it slips out of your fingers. Sauce should either be used sparingly enough that it soaks into the wing, or in a pinch, grilled quickly after to sear it on.

2. You can bread your wings by dredging lightly in flour, but god help you if you try to batter or otherwise heavily coat a wing. They should either be naked, or just dusted in flour. I'm looking at you on this one, Hooters...

3. You don't cook a wing until it's dry on the inside. I've seen wing recipes that call for frying for 15-18 minutes. You wanna eat shoe leather dipped in hot sauce? You can have my share.

4. Dean's absolutely right about Old Bay on wings. You can even use it pre-frying if you put it on before you dust with flour. Then you fry and use any sauce you like, or eat them plain.

5. You do NOT bake a chicken wing. You fry it. Any other preparation is something else altogether.

King Crimson
2/19/2009, 10:57 AM
i have Newbomb Turk's special recipe saved in my PM's.

from like 3 years ago....and like the Pensacola Open.

BillyBall
2/19/2009, 11:26 AM
Here are the only hard, fast rules on wings:

1. If you eat your wings with ranch you are a fag. Blue cheese ONLY.

2. You suck em' off the bone, just like Froze said. If you eat them like a dainty little girl, then you are a fag.

This post is greatness.

King Crimson
2/19/2009, 11:28 AM
This post is greatness.

not really. both "bleu cheese" and "ranch" are pretty much the same thing from Sysco.

C&CDean
2/19/2009, 05:03 PM
not really. both "bleu cheese" and "ranch" are pretty much the same thing from Sysco.

Wrong again, professor. Ranch is the stuff that runs out of the veins of your average Okie when you cut him. They eat it on cereal, fries, pizza, burgers, wings, tots, ribs, steak, eggs, and pretty much anything else you can think of. I'd be willing to bet the average Okie ingests 10 gallons of that crap a year.

To me, ranch belongs on a salad, or maybe to dip raw veggies into.

Blue cheese, on the other hand, is greatness. Yes, both of them probably share some similar/identical ingredients, but the chunky blue cheese with them big ol' thumb-sized hunks of toe-jam greatness cannot be beat. Especially on a good hot wing. Or on a blackened steak or burger.

All of the other foods I mentioned are not supposed to be dipped or smothered with anything. Pizza should have some parmagiana and crushed red peppers. Fries and tots get a little ketchup. Ribs get hot sauce or just dry. Eggs get salsa. Cereal gets milk. And so on and so forth.

JohnnyMack
2/19/2009, 05:12 PM
Your face gets my balls.

C&CDean
2/19/2009, 05:18 PM
Just so long as I have some ranch to dip them in.

OUMallen
2/19/2009, 05:20 PM
Hooters: 3 Mile Island is JUST right. Hot without causing pain or numbing your mouth. Superflavorful.

BWW: I like the spicy garlic hotness, but the Hot is good too. Sometimes the Wild is doable and tasty, but I've also had some facemelters @ Wild (right below blazin') that I sent back to the kitchen. Hoenstly, I didn't send them back, but she noticed I was in pain and not eating them...she was nice and brought em out some spicy garlic, but the damage was already done.

NormanPride
2/19/2009, 05:31 PM
Wings are not an art form, no matter what people say. It's like Italian food, IMO... you need simple flavors executed well to make a great wing. You can add different flavorings if you want, but don't drench the poor thing in it...

King Crimson
2/19/2009, 06:15 PM
Wrong again, professor. Ranch is the stuff that runs out of the veins of your average Okie when you cut him. They eat it on cereal, fries, pizza, burgers, wings, tots, ribs, steak, eggs, and pretty much anything else you can think of. I'd be willing to bet the average Okie ingests 10 gallons of that crap a year.

To me, ranch belongs on a salad, or maybe to dip raw veggies into.

Blue cheese, on the other hand, is greatness. Yes, both of them probably share some similar/identical ingredients, but the chunky blue cheese with them big ol' thumb-sized hunks of toe-jam greatness cannot be beat. Especially on a good hot wing. Or on a blackened steak or burger.

All of the other foods I mentioned are not supposed to be dipped or smothered with anything. Pizza should have some parmagiana and crushed red peppers. Fries and tots get a little ketchup. Ribs get hot sauce or just dry. Eggs get salsa. Cereal gets milk. And so on and so forth.

all you need to do is see that "bleu cheese" is about half mayo/half ranch outta the plastic 1 gallon jug from Sysco, non-professor.

you want a real cheese with real "bleu" veined molds, try gorgonzola or stilton, not crap.

soonerboomer93
2/19/2009, 07:14 PM

+1

GottaHavePride
2/19/2009, 09:56 PM
Your face gets my balls.

We have a new candidate for post of the year.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 09:39 AM
all you need to do is see that "bleu cheese" is about half mayo/half ranch outta the plastic 1 gallon jug from Sysco, non-professor.

you want a real cheese with real "bleu" veined molds, try gorgonzola or stilton, not crap.

OK cheeze whiz, what are the chunks of mold floating in my blue cheese dressing? I don't claim to be any bigtime cheese expert, but the chunks of greatness floating in my mayo/ranch are ROQUEFORT. And the last time I checked, roquefort is in the blue vein variety of cheeses. No?

Now, speaking of blue vein, I've got a blue veined bag right here for ye.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 09:43 AM
We have a new candidate for post of the year.

Do not feed the monkeys.

JohnnyMack
2/20/2009, 10:04 AM
Do not feed the monkeys.

http://www.motleycrow.com/ImageHost/smiling_monkey.jpg

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 01:06 PM
OK cheeze whiz, what are the chunks of mold floating in my blue cheese dressing? I don't claim to be any bigtime cheese expert, but the chunks of greatness floating in my mayo/ranch are ROQUEFORT. And the last time I checked, roquefort is in the blue vein variety of cheeses. No?

Now, speaking of blue vein, I've got a blue veined bag right here for ye.

sorry wonder bread, if you are going to hit on me again, at least use the PM function so we can keep it on the hush.

here's how it goes: Ranch dressing has no active biological component (it's like eating plastic) so it's often used to extend the life of other perishable items....like that really awesome guac at Chipotle or Qdoba (i know Dean, you don't go there and it's called a "burro"--and here's where i respond and say i'll take you to Efrain's just outside Boulder or Taqueria Patzquaro in Denver)...it's the same with "bleu" cheese....how often, really, do you trust something that's misspelled on purpose to look french?

buy some stilton next time at the store.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 02:05 PM
sorry wonder bread, if you are going to hit on me again, at least use the PM function so we can keep it on the hush.

here's how it goes: Ranch dressing has no active biological component (it's like eating plastic) so it's often used to extend the life of other perishable items....like that really awesome guac at Chipotle or Qdoba (i know Dean, you don't go there and it's called a "burro"--and here's where i respond and say i'll take you to Efrain's just outside Boulder or Taqueria Patzquaro in Denver)...it's the same with "bleu" cheese....how often, really, do you trust something that's misspelled on purpose to look french?

buy some stilton next time at the store.

Wrong again, tater tot. Ranch has buttermilk, which is a very active biological component. In fact, it's pretty much cheese itself, no?

Of course if you only eat the plastic Ranch I really can't help you. And you should really kiss me first before inviting me over for lunch.

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 02:08 PM
Wrong again, tater tot. Ranch has buttermilk, which is a very active biological component. In fact, it's pretty much cheese itself, no?

Of course if you only eat the plastic Ranch I really can't help you. And you should really kiss me first before inviting me over for lunch.

do they refrigerate the ranch dressing at the grocery store where you buy it?

they don't, do they?

Veritas
2/20/2009, 02:09 PM
I like to get the wings at Old Chicago, Jalapeno Firehouse style. Three things of blue cheese and a bunch of the jalapeno firehouse sauce on side. Preferably with a big *** mug of Shiner.

My ******* hates me the next morning, but oh my is it good.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 02:10 PM

they don't, do they?

Couldn't tell you. I ain't the bitch, so I don't go to the grocery store.

OUMallen
2/20/2009, 02:10 PM

they don't, do they?

I can say, as a fact, that O'Connell's ranch is made from mayo, buttermilk, and spice packets.

Further, when you get ranch/bleu cheese at BWW it is refrigerated.

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 02:13 PM
Couldn't tell you. I ain't the bitch, so I don't go to the grocery store.

well played on the macho angle, but it does say "Dean doesn't know what he's are talking about" mostly.

i'll still be pitching on our date.

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2009, 02:14 PM
All I know is that bleu cheese is damn tasty on a wing. And the primary flavor you should get on a wing is Red Hot and butter.

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 02:16 PM
All I know is that bleu cheese is damn tasty on a wing. And the primary flavor you should get on a wing is Red Hot and butter.

according to my main man Newbomb Turk, who i ran off the board with my links golf knowledge....margarine is actually better than butter. i have his wings recipe.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 02:36 PM
well played on the macho angle, but it does say "Dean doesn't know what he's are talking about" mostly.

i'll still be pitching on our date.

It's hard to pitch from your knees hotshot.

I've only seen Ranch being made once or twice in my life, and they always put buttermilk in it. I really don't know what they put in the bottled crap. I'm glad that you do.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 02:49 PM
according to my main man Newbomb Turk, who i ran off the board with my links golf knowledge....margarine is actually better than butter. i have his wings recipe.

Share.

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 02:56 PM
Share.

that's up to him. i've also got his beer butt chicken recipe, i think. never tried it since my grill is too shallow to stand up the chicken.

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 02:57 PM
It's hard to pitch from your knees hotshot.

we made it work last time.

SoonerAtKU
2/20/2009, 03:13 PM
The reason you might user margarine instead of butter is that it's harder to "break" the sauce by getting it too hot, which separates the butter into oil and milk solids. If you use real butter, you just have to be careful not to boil the sauce when making it. Go slow, low-medium heat and whisk it in in pieces.

Margarine is all oil, so no real way to break the sauce, but it doesn't quite mix or coat the wing in the same way.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 03:35 PM
that's up to him. i've also got his beer butt chicken recipe, i think. never tried it since my grill is too shallow to stand up the chicken.

Why would someone give a **** if other people know their wing recipe?

I think maybe you got him and me confused in your elbows/knees fantasy.

NormanPride
2/20/2009, 04:02 PM
Wings, Cheese, and Homoeroticism. Just another day on the SO.

Oh, and ranch traditionally has buttermilk in it. What the hell you buy at the store is your own problem.

yermom
2/20/2009, 04:12 PM
i'm the bitch that goes to the store

got it ;)

fadada1
2/20/2009, 04:13 PM
back to the original post:

i'm not a fan of "hot"... personally. i love me the wings, but not steamy.

i don't remember any quality wing places in norman, but that doesn't mean they're not around. just wasn't looking that hard, i guess (stupid me).

however, during my time at UF, we always found the good joints. there was a bar out in town that was known for their "nuclear-type" wings. had a special - 10 wings in 10 minutes, the group eats free. a guy i went to school with was a texas native and loved hot... super hot. he got through about 6 or 7 and called it quits - could barely breath. those wings burned my nose hair from across the room.

gotta a pizza joint up here in rochester that used to have "sweat and swear" hot wings. no thanks.

yermom
2/20/2009, 04:18 PM
the Vista's hot wings aren't THAT rough until you ask them to hurt you

Blazin' from BWW burned all the way through. i literally could tell where they were during the whole digestive process

as for the building, last i heard the whole building was coming down because they couldn't get to the top floors to fix it

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, like I said-they should be hot enough to bite a little, but shouldn't be so hot you can't taste them or that they're uncomfortable. That's going to vary a bit from person to person.

NormanPride
2/20/2009, 04:24 PM
as for the building, last i heard the whole building was coming down because they couldn't get to the top floors to fix it

KHAAAAAAAAAN!!

King Crimson
2/20/2009, 04:32 PM
Why would someone give a **** if other people know their wing recipe?

I think maybe you got him and me confused in your elbows/knees fantasy.

i think you lose here. i've never mentioned elbows (you did) and you seem to be talking from experience.

C&CDean
2/20/2009, 05:28 PM
i think you lose here. i've never mentioned elbows (you did) and you seem to be talking from experience.

Hey, we're trying to talk wings here. Keep your smut within the confines of your dorm room.

1890MilesToNorman
2/20/2009, 05:33 PM
I'll take some wings please! Mild, hot, I don't care.

jkjsooner
2/20/2009, 05:44 PM
2. You can bread your wings by dredging lightly in flour, but god help you if you try to batter or otherwise heavily coat a wing. They should either be naked, or just dusted in flour. I'm looking at you on this one, Hooters...

I actually like Hooters wings but they are not Buffalo wings. When I want Buffalo wings I go somewhere else. When I want Hooters wings I go to Hooters. BTW, I have to do 6 mile island at Hooters as their wings are generally not hot enough.

How hot is too hot? First thing, if it messes with the taste it is too hot. You can only get so hot until whatever you put on the wing to make it hotter starts making it taste like something other than buffalo wings. If they refuse to give you a full order at the hottest level then it's too hot. If they have some type of hall of fame board for whoever ate the most then it's too hot.

Any mention of BBQ flavor and Buffalo flavor in the same sentence is a no-no.

One other thing, don't make the mistake I made, if you're eating wings and get an urge to urinate, please wash your hands first. Hot sauce on the weenie stings quite a bit.

OUMallen
2/20/2009, 06:33 PM
One other thing, don't make the mistake I made, if you're eating wings and get an urge to urinate, please wash your hands first.

Or remove your contact lenses...

Frozen Sooner
2/20/2009, 07:13 PM
Which reminds me:

It always mystifies me that people wash their hands after they pee but not before.

I know where my pecker's been and I'm pretty good about not peeing on my hands. Meanwhile, I've been handling cash a good portion of the day.

Mixer!
2/20/2009, 09:11 PM
hand sanitizer?

BillyBall
2/21/2009, 06:30 AM
Which reminds me:

It always mystifies me that people wash their hands after they pee but not before.

I know where my pecker's been and I'm pretty good about not peeing on my hands. Meanwhile, I've been handling cash a good portion of the day.

Just pee in the shower why you are washing your hands?