PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Hanson, James Iha, Bun E. Carlos, and Adam Schlesinger form band...

royalfan5
2/18/2009, 05:14 PM
I'm not making this up. You can see them at SXSW this spring and get their new album.

http://dlisted.com/node/30772

StoopTroup
2/18/2009, 10:36 PM
They will be in the Hall of Fame for this one. :D ;)

SoonerStormchaser
2/18/2009, 11:08 PM
Why in the **** would Bun E Carlos want to even associate himself with these three no-talent *******s?

OklaPony
2/19/2009, 09:19 AM
Wow, that is one bizarre lineup.

King Crimson
2/19/2009, 09:41 AM
Why in the **** would Bun E Carlos want to even associate himself with these three no-talent *******s?

says mister music. i hate to tell you this, but Cheap Trick is going to hell for murdering Chris Bell and Big Star's "In the Street".

stick to Journey and REO.

i don't even care about Iha or those other guys, but no one mentions Bun E. Carlos as a great rock drummer. Cheap Trick was not exactly talent city or Yes. if the guy wants to play with some younger cats, good for him.

bri
2/19/2009, 01:52 PM
They're playing the Cain's March 18th; tickets are just $5. I may have to give it a look-see.

yermom
2/20/2009, 09:13 AM
i was never a fan of Hanson, but i was kinda impressed with them. i mean they did write their own stuff, right?

KC//CRIMSON
2/25/2009, 05:52 PM
6psmPQaueE0

bri
2/25/2009, 06:09 PM
i was never a fan of Hanson, but i was kinda impressed with them. i mean they did write their own stuff, right?

Yep, wrote their own stuff and played their own instruments. As teenagers.

Kind of sucks that they get laughed at, while everyone thinks Crooked X is the bee's knees just because Hanson was pop.

royalfan5
2/25/2009, 06:23 PM
6psmPQaueE0

I'm going to stretch myself out on a limb here, but I think Schlesinger has most of the songwriting input on that one.

bri
3/18/2009, 11:50 PM
Caught their show at Bob's (the side stage at Cain's). They basically played the entire album and one song that didn't make the cut, and it was all catchy as hell. I'm gonna go ahead and pencil their album in as my summer soundtrack.

bri
3/19/2009, 01:54 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3546/3367558646_ef5ffd9f15_o.jpg

StoopTroup
3/19/2009, 05:11 AM
They didn't even have enough of a crowd for the Main Stage?

bri
3/19/2009, 11:31 AM
Actually, they probably could have sold the big room out. I guess they just decided to do one of them intimate club shows for their first public performance ever to get ready for SXSW.

It was pretty funny watching them try and compensate for the lack of backstage. James Iha's guitar tech was shoved into a nook between a stack of amps and the wall, tuning guitars and handing them to James, who was a foot away. :D

King Crimson
3/19/2009, 12:00 PM
i can see seeing them live and it giving the recorded stuff some life and affinity....that happens. but, that song sounds like credit roller or montage soundtrack cut from a teen movie from the late 80's or 90's. not too far from 90120 fadeout stuff.

i know nostalgia kitsch is in and all that. song doesn't do a lot for me. though, like i say, seeing live maybe jazzes it up some. makes it work?

lyrically, this is a song that is every cliche in the book. maybe that's the joke? pop purity?

bri
3/19/2009, 12:40 PM
Maybe some people just like making stupid fun hook-filled guitar-driven pop, and don't think everything has to be some serious masterpiece. Maybe some people just WANT TO HAVE A F*CKING GOOD TIME, FOR F*CK'S SAKE.

King Crimson
3/19/2009, 12:46 PM
Maybe some people just like making stupid fun hook-filled guitar-driven pop, and don't think everything has to be some serious masterpiece. Maybe some people just WANT TO HAVE A F*CKING GOOD TIME, FOR F*CK'S SAKE.

you kind of are overreacting here. i was serious when i said seeing a band live juices the recorded stuff...when you hear it.

people use music for different parts of how they are....i DO think it's sounds like a 90's/80's/50's teen film subject matter. but, so does most of rock.

the song has a catchy, kitschy turn of phrase at the end.

you get a little defensive when Tulsa is in the mix....

StoopTroup
3/19/2009, 12:50 PM
I always measure a band off how they are LIVE anyway.

The Studios sometimes know how to ruin an artist.

If your band can entertain me with a Live Performance...I'm more likely to listen to the recorded stuff just to bring back the memory of how much I enjoyed it LIVE.

bri
3/19/2009, 01:08 PM
you get a little defensive when Tulsa is in the mix....

This has nothing to do with Tulsa and everything to do with me being sick of you bashing everything everyone likes. I like powerpop. I like Cheap Trick. In point of fact, I f*cking love Cheap Trick, and I could hardly care less if they did a sub-par cover of your beloved Big Star song for a TV show theme.

King Crimson
3/19/2009, 01:32 PM
This has nothing to do with Tulsa and everything to do with me being sick of you bashing everything everyone likes. I like powerpop. I like Cheap Trick. In point of fact, I f*cking love Cheap Trick, and I could hardly care less if they did a sub-par cover of your beloved Big Star song for a TV show theme.

and by "everyone" you mean who?

you don't bash "everything everyone likes"...in other contexts? you're the pop culture, irony maven.

mister clever better pop culture than you? that's how you post, no?

King Crimson
3/19/2009, 01:33 PM
i really don't want to do this.

Howzit
3/19/2009, 01:36 PM
pretty please with sugar on top?

it's kinda slow at work today...

C&CDean
3/19/2009, 03:05 PM
Why do I feel like I almost got to see a bitch slap fight here?

Just to clear the air, both of you think your tastes/opinions/knowledge/etc. of music is better and more finely honed than anyone elses.

And just to be clear, you're both full of **** on most counts.

There, now we can move forward.

Howzit
3/19/2009, 03:10 PM
I pitchered you typing that while doing the tuck scene from Silence of the Lambs.

And you. were. magnificent.

C&CDean
3/19/2009, 03:22 PM
I pitchered you typing that while doing the tuck scene from Silence of the Lambs.

And you. were. magnificent.

It took me a minute to figure out WTF "the tuck scene" was. Then, I realized that only you would remember that scene so clearly. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and even happier that you enjoyed fantasizing me doing it. Of course my package would never fit all up in my taint scar.

And for an old, gray haired rocker/blues kinda guy, you're a little opinionated and snarky on music too. That's what happens when you try to keep up with all the newer crap.

Howzit
3/19/2009, 03:27 PM
I pitchered you typing that one dressed up like Dumbeldore.

*snicker*

C&CDean
3/19/2009, 03:38 PM
What do you mean "dressed up like?" That ****'s how I roll.

King Crimson
3/19/2009, 04:00 PM
Why do I feel like I almost got to see a bitch slap fight here?

Just to clear the air, both of you think your tastes/opinions/knowledge/etc. of music is better and more finely honed than anyone elses.

And just to be clear, you're both full of **** on most counts.

There, now we can move forward.

whatever you say, Rick Derringer.

C&CDean
3/19/2009, 04:12 PM
whatever you say, Rick Derringer.

Rick Derringer? I've never even owned a RD album, but I do semi-remember seeing him playing lead for Johnny Winter one time when he was like maybe 17? at a show in Phoenix.

All you old ****ers trying to be young ****ers crack me up.

King Crimson
3/19/2009, 04:15 PM
i ain't as old as you, but i grew up around music of all kinds. i don't limit myself to fashion.

you missed my april wine thread from a few weeks back.

Howzit
3/19/2009, 04:28 PM
Rick Derringer? I've never even owned a RD album, but I do semi-remember seeing him playing lead for Johnny Winter one time when he was like maybe 17? at a show in Phoenix.

All you old ****ers trying to be young ****ers crack me up.

All you old ****ers that think music died with Duane Allman crack me up.

Truthfully, I didn't listen to much new music at all throughout the late 80's and 90's, even up to early 2000's, mainly because commercial radio sucks. XM and innerwebs radio just plain exposed me to a lot of stuff I would have never heard otherwise.

I still think the best music came from the 70's, but Tim Titty ****ing Teb0w I get tired of hearing nothing but that!

C&CDean
3/19/2009, 04:38 PM
Oh I'm just yanking both of you old ****ers' chains.

I too think the best R&R came from the 70's, and I too get tired of hearing nothing but that. That's why I've been a blues afficiando for the past 20-something years. No, not JLHooker or Etta James blues (which I can do if I'm drinking heavily and in the mood), but the more hard-edged blues kinda stuff (Bonamassa, Albert Cummings, etc.) and some of the older "new" blues kinda stuff (Walter Trout, Tommy Castro, SRV, KWShepherd, etc.)

I honestly think the one thing that ruined me from listening to new "rock/pop/etc." was the whole rap craze. For that 10-15 year period, all I heard from my kids' stereos was "muh****ah, muh****a, bitch, ho, pop a cap, my hood is da baddest hood, blah blah blah" Ruined me from giving new music a listen.

Howzit
3/20/2009, 09:14 AM

I too think the best R&R came from the 70's, and I too get tired of hearing nothing but that. That's why I've been a blues afficiando for the past 20-something years. No, not JLHooker or Etta James blues (which I can do if I'm drinking heavily and in the mood), but the more hard-edged blues kinda stuff (Bonamassa, Albert Cummings, etc.) and some of the older "new" blues kinda stuff (Walter Trout, Tommy Castro, SRV, KWShepherd, etc.)

I honestly think the one thing that ruined me from listening to new "rock/pop/etc." was the whole rap craze. For that 10-15 year period, all I heard from my kids' stereos was "muh****ah, muh****a, bitch, ho, pop a cap, my hood is da baddest hood, blah blah blah" Ruined me from giving new music a listen.

I'll bet you don't even own any hatful of hollow.

I know I'm right.

KC//CRIMSON
3/20/2009, 09:47 AM
I'll bet you don't even own any hatful of hollow.

I know I'm right.

or any Meat Is Murder.....

Howzit
3/20/2009, 09:49 AM
Seriously? Do you know that for a fact? Because my opinion of Dean would be inexorably altered were I to discover that he owns no Meat is Murder.

KC//CRIMSON
3/20/2009, 09:54 AM
Seriously? Do you know that for a fact? Because my opinion of Dean would be inexorably altered were I to discover that he owns no Meat is Murder.

The only reason he would own it would be because he thought the album cover was cool.

C&CDean
3/20/2009, 10:01 AM
I can honestly and gratefully state that I have never owned, nor would I ever own anything from The Smiths.

StoopTroup
3/20/2009, 12:12 PM

No love for the Howlin' Wolf? :D

ux6N00CwudA

A1FK620bS7A&feature=related

StoopTroup
3/20/2009, 12:20 PM
Also...when you ain't got no money...you thinkin' bout da blues!

4Ou-6A3MKow&feature=related