PDA

View Full Version : '09 women. best team ever -or- a stroll down memory lane

badger
2/18/2009, 11:47 AM
I will see your men's team thread and raise you a POLLED women's team thread on the same subject. They're BOTH ranked No. 2 in the country after all... and don't remind me that UConn is still undefeated on the women's side. If the men can eff up that badly on national television (and yes, I know Hightower was reffing it up too), so can the women, dag nabbit!

So... please poll and discuss... and rank em too if you really want. Come on guys... you know you wanna discuss the women too :D

Here - I'll even throw in a few pics to sweeten the deal!
http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2008/12/01/hand1is.jpg
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/12/13/2008513284.jpg
http://ou.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2008/12/01/handBIS.jpg

soonervegas
2/18/2009, 12:26 PM
If the women's national title game is not OU vs. Uconn I will be shocked.

Salt City Sooner
2/18/2009, 12:38 PM
If the women's national title game is not OU vs. Uconn I will be shocked.
x2, but I also have a bad feeling that the guys are going to have the same fate befall them as my Bengals (got to the Super Bowl twice, ran into Joe Montana in said game twice). I'd love nothing more than to be wrong.

badger
2/18/2009, 01:05 PM
thank you for giving the ladies some kudos too by responding to the sister thread guys :D I will send some kudospek your way and anyone else's way that responds here... if that type of thing motivates ya.

I chose the "ask me again next month" response, because I think the same thing that happened to us in the past few postseasons can potentially happen again if we meet up with a team that matches up poorly with us. However, should UConn and OU meet in the title game as I have already predicted (see poll options), the argument then becomes "2002 Runners up or 2009 Runners up?" for best ever?

If 2009 beats UConn, 2009 wins of course (and yes, I realize championship teams are not as good as all other championship teams, but that's how we'll remember this team years from now if it happens!).

If 2009 loses to UConn, 2002 is second still, because of the Iowa State issues.

If 2009 doesn't make the title game, 2002 is still tops, even with Coale's patented "ISU Snafus."

8timechamps
2/18/2009, 07:47 PM
To be completely honest, I really haven't followed the womens team for more then about the four or five years.

oumartin
2/18/2009, 07:50 PM
another early exit until they learn to take care of the ball better!

Lott's Bandana
2/18/2009, 10:22 PM
This team wooped world class athletes on National TV, then turned around and fought hard to beat a half-court cornfed team from Iowa State in an ugly game completely 180 degrees from the Tenn game.

That impressed me. Two ways to win: CP3 with 9 points - win. CP3 with 25 points, 19 rebounds - win.

OU is in the hunt for second place. This year, that really isn't a bad thing at all...

AllAboutThe'O'
2/19/2009, 04:55 AM
This team wooped world class athletes on National TV, then turned around and fought hard to beat a half-court cornfed team from Iowa State in an ugly game completely 180 degrees from the Tenn game.

That impressed me. Two ways to win: CP3 with 9 points - win. CP3 with 25 points, 19 rebounds - win.

OU is in the hunt for second place. This year, that really isn't a bad thing at all...

For me, I'll be satisfied if we make the Final Four. At least the Paris twins deserve to play in a Final Four, even if we get steamrolled by UConn again in the finals. But I have a funny feeling if we get a rematch with UConn, it'll be a lot closer than the previous meeting. I'm also feeling a Patriots-Giants Super Bowl 42 vibe, with a team from New England feeling all the pressure in the world to complete a perfect season but falls short of that achievement.

A-M
2/19/2009, 11:14 AM
I love watching the ladies play. I have a hard time when the men and women play at the same time cause I want to watch both. I have enjoyed watching the ladies for several years now. Having said that, I do so enjoy watching the men this year. Here's hoping they both walk away with the #1 this year. Wouldn't that be great!

Collier11
2/19/2009, 11:17 AM
UCONN is a juggernaut, they are dominating nearly everyone

King Crimson
2/19/2009, 11:18 AM
i'd just like to say the gray on the unis in the pics sucks.

crimson and cream. that's it.

Collier11
2/19/2009, 11:21 AM
Id like to say that Badger has a crush on Whitney Hand apparently :)

Tulsa_Sooner
2/19/2009, 11:45 AM
Perhaps I am delusional for picking that this is the year they beat UConn in the title game...but I can hope, right?

Talentwise, this team surely matches the best we've seen at OU, but consistency is something they are lacking at times. We've seen nearly every player (or at least every starter, and SOME of the bench players) have an incredible individual game. We have yet to see a game where ALL the starters are playing at their best together. When and if that happens, they can hang with UConn.

Sooner04
2/19/2009, 11:52 AM
I happen to think Whitney Hand is very much attractive.

badger
2/19/2009, 12:35 PM
Id like to say that Badger has a crush on Whitney Hand apparently :)

Dude, I've posted EVERYone's picture on the team by now, but figured that since Bobby Knight had a little crush on her when he called his first, last and only women's basketball game, it might work on the rest of you. I mean, Bobby Knight HATES freshmen, but he would not stop talking about her in the Tennessee game, it was "Whitney Hand shoots really well..." and "If I ever return to coaching, I'm recruiting Whitney Hand to transfer."

Bobby Knight HATES freshmen. He gives them grief and last year come tourney time he spoke poorly about teams that had star freshmen (like USC and KSU).

But here goes Bobby Knight, Mister Negativity, grumpy old man, hyper critical general sir yes sir... and so on, about Whitney Hand.

So anyway, seeing how this thread had gotten quite a few poll votes and a handful of responses, I'd say Whitney Hand worked.

However, I have only one love, and that is uber hottie Cade Davis.
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Pre+Season+NIT+Championship+Game+90FzeCqN9eSl.jpg
Errrrr.... I mean, NormanPride! I love you, NormanPride! More than the Sooners (except Cade Davis... I mean... just kidding!). Ban me and stuff... ;)

:D

BudsBoy
2/19/2009, 11:11 PM
The only way that this Sherri lead team can advance to the finale four is to cut down on the 15-20 turnovers per game. Oh and make some of the point blank layup they miss which is about 12-15 per game. That is not championship play.