PDA

View Full Version : Austin Johnson haters.

PDXsooner
2/17/2009, 03:40 PM
Yes, I am a reformed Austin Johnson hater. I didn't like his game for 3 years, and I thought his game was garbage. But he has REALLY impressed me this year and become better than I would have ever imagined.

He doesn't seem as careless and shaky with the ball and doesn't turn it over as much, and he has a knack for the big shot.

Consider me reformed, he's become a hell of a player.

PDXsooner
2/17/2009, 03:41 PM
Oops, meant for this to be in the BBall forum. Can you move it? Thanks

CrimsonJim
2/17/2009, 03:50 PM
....doing my best Muttley laugh. :)

swardboy
2/17/2009, 03:55 PM
Is this ball handler a QB, wide receiver, or running back....

tommieharris91
2/17/2009, 04:13 PM
When Austin Johnson gets tackled, I usually think his body will fall apart. He is WAYYYYY to thin for D-1 football.

SoonersEnFuego
2/17/2009, 06:10 PM
AJ has definitely stepped up his game. In the past it seemed like he would pick up his dribble too early. Now, there is nobody I would rather bring the ball down the court.

It's the tattoos.

the_ouskull
2/17/2009, 06:41 PM
I think it's got a lot more to do with legitimate pressure in the back court. Who's the odd man out in crunch time between Crocker, who was shooting well last year, Warren, the stud recruit, and A.J., the under-achieving point guard who doesn't dribble or pass the ball particularly well?

A.J. hasn't really had that kind of pressure to this point, and I think he's underachieved because of it. Now, he's healthy - for what that's worth - and he's really stepped up his game this season. I'm not a reformed hater, because there's going to be a part of me always wondering where this level of (consistent) play has been the past couple of years, but he is having a very solid season for the Sooners.

the_ouskull

SoonerShark
2/17/2009, 08:37 PM
Maybe he has always been okay, but was asked to do so much in down years past. He has always had flashes of doing good things. I am glad he is going out with such a flourish.

8timechamps
2/17/2009, 09:51 PM
I think it's got a lot more to do with legitimate pressure in the back court. Who's the odd man out in crunch time between Crocker, who was shooting well last year, Warren, the stud recruit, and A.J., the under-achieving point guard who doesn't dribble or pass the ball particularly well?

A.J. hasn't really had that kind of pressure to this point, and I think he's underachieved because of it. Now, he's healthy - for what that's worth - and he's really stepped up his game this season. I'm not a reformed hater, because there's going to be a part of me always wondering where this level of (consistent) play has been the past couple of years, but he is having a very solid season for the Sooners.

the_ouskull

Good points. I also think it has to do with not wanting to be the weak link (if that makes sense). I think he's always had game, but for whatever reason, he didn't make an effort to show it until now.

Nonetheless, I'm just glad he is playing like he is.

goingoneight
2/18/2009, 12:10 AM
Capel seems to take a good player and get a LOT out of them each year... AJ's progression this year reminds me of Longar Longar all of a sudden stepping up like he did.

Readyfor8
2/18/2009, 02:49 AM
If you look at it, AJ has always over performed in high stress, how many of his great games were away last year where the pressure to pick up road games meant making the tournament for this team. This year the team is #2 and he has ESPN doing highlight reals from our games on the Top 10 plays, and he's up to the level he should have played at all again.

Someone said it in another post... "It's like he has a fifth gear he always knew he had and just never used it."

JLEW1818
2/18/2009, 08:13 AM
All I'm gonna say is that one of the most important things come march madness, is an experienced senior point guard. I think this is gonna to be a bigger asset to us than Blake just being himself. I'm telling ya, once you get in to March having a senior point guard is gonna be HUGE. I'm glad we have Austin Johnson and he has developed great as a player.

Knippz
2/18/2009, 11:22 AM
One of Austin's problems was that he wasn't a very disciplined player in high school. He had a monster team in a weak district, where they just ran and dunked all over everyone. They didn't have to play very disciplined because the competition they faced was so weak. I saw it first hand, and I think that hurt him in his college game starting out.

badger
2/18/2009, 12:10 PM
I don't "hate" any of our guys. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Our rivals hate our players enough already. We don't need to be hating our own guys.

As such, Austin Johnson is not one that I ever hated. He was always the funny looking guy with his eyebrows and his ever-changing hair. Kevin Bookout was the goofy looking one, Griffin brother's parents were the "OMG ESPN SHOWING THEM AGAIN" ones... but they're all Sooner family members.

The thing about Austin Johnson was that he didn't seem to play up to his potential, which was bothersome. Now, his senior year, he really seems to be stepping it up, so good on him :)

We've seen the same in past frustrations with many others, but even if they play like crap come gameday, they're still Sooners. If they should ever become not-Sooners, like James or Reynolds or Alexander, then perhaps the dislike may surface more readily. I have no problems with expressing my disgust and contempt for how blatantly Kelvin broke the rules. However, while he was here, I tried to keep it positive.

OUmillenium
2/18/2009, 01:22 PM
I am also reformed. He has always showed some smarts but he has really played great this year. Big shots, running the ball up, alley oops, and some nice defensive play and rebounding.

He has been a huge part of this great season.

ouleaf
2/18/2009, 02:39 PM
I'll give credit where credit is due. AJ is a big reason why we are where we are this season as a team. He has shown a lot of maturity this season, as should be expected, and his improved shooting has been critically important throughout the year.

I still worry about him matching up against bigger guards though. The roster lists him at 175 lbs, but even that might be a stretch. That worries me come tourney time. That is my only real negative on the guy.

CaliBornSoonerBred
2/18/2009, 03:20 PM
Knippz and I both went to HS in the same district as AJ and I watched him in HS for 3 years as he played against my brother. AJ was a pure scorer in HS and that was his thing. He never had to be the point and really run it. I think it was more of a settling in factor and getting used to a new role within OU. He has a new role and mentality with Capel and I think it's the perfect fit for him. Everyone around here who watched him in hs wondered why he wasn't averaging 25+ per game straight out of hs so he had to change his game. He is def a smart player as his dad is a spectacular coach here in Amarillo. I'm just excited to finally see the kid I've watched for the last 7 years finally blossom into the player we knew he was.

RonMexico7
2/18/2009, 03:56 PM
I still worry about him matching up against bigger guards though. The roster lists him at 175 lbs, but even that might be a stretch. That worries me come tourney time. That is my only real negative on the guy.

Will he guard collins monday you think? or will willie?

ouleaf
2/18/2009, 04:35 PM
Will he guard collins monday you think? or will willie?

I wouldn't mind seeing Capel using that zone with Juan up top a few times early on to see how Collins handles it.

If we go to a Man Defense then I'd probably start AJ on Collins to see how he does. Collins is a smart player, and would probably try and draw some early fouls if he can. If AJ doesn't work out, then give Willie a shot at him.

soonervegas
2/18/2009, 04:48 PM
I never had a big problem with AJ. He has pretty much had to make himself into a PG. I griped to my other OU basketball friends, specifically in 2006, that we needed to get a true PG so AJ could move to a more comfortable 2 spot. I would have LOVED to have seen AJ get 3 years of expereince running off picks for 3 balls. He's has done an excellent job this year running the team.

Bourbon St Sooner
2/19/2009, 01:08 PM
So, since we've been talking a lot about '88, is AJ's improvement this year Stacey King-esque?

I know the answer is no, but the improvement from last year has been striking. He's taking care of the ball, his passes to the post have improved 1000% (How much better would Blake have been last year if he had guards that could get him the ball?), and the (clutch) shooting is remarkable. Props to AJ for a great senior year.