PDA

View Full Version : AJ and the NBA...

Readyfor8
2/17/2009, 01:41 PM
Austin Johnson was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school, but most thought he would be a four year player and be good at the college level. He has failed to exceed expectations for his position and recruited level, until Big 12 play this year.

I consider the way he has run the point, and I see good passes, clutch shots and a lot of turnovers, but this has always be in the issue for AJ.

The only question is, what would it take to get the NBA scouts to take a chance on him in a late draft round next year? A Championship game MVP, or something of that nature I think could get it done but thats as lofty a goal as he could set for himself. I'm not sure if anything else would be able to get him a look, honestly, but he could be in Europe next year. Whaddya tink?

Boomer.....
2/17/2009, 02:04 PM
With his injury problems and inconsistencies, I see him in Europe at best. He is playing great for us though.

fwsooner22
2/17/2009, 04:54 PM
NCAA basketball has become quite physical (witness Pitt Uconn last night) but the grind of the NBA is 10 fold over NCAA basketball. No way AJ has that in him.

However, he has changed my mind about him. I shake my head in disbelief every game now.

By the way the NBA draft has only two rounds.

stoopified
2/17/2009, 05:50 PM
I love AJ and the way he is competing BUT he is NOT NBA caliber.He is not physical enough,and has a very average shot.

Readyfor8
2/17/2009, 06:19 PM
I don't know if he is all that average, hes high 30's most of his career here from FG and from 3pt. That's not average for a career.

Capel has really helped him. Almost as much as he did for Longar last season. His first season under Sampson, he shot 26%, but sinch has been knocking on 40 percent, is currently shooting 44% from the field and making more than a third of his three's... 33.46. That's not an average shot.

Curly Bill
2/17/2009, 06:24 PM
He's playing great for us...

...but he's not an NBA player.

the_ouskull
2/17/2009, 06:35 PM
I'm just chiming in to say that I see the thread; I acknowledge it's existence. I am, however, respectfully choosing to abstain. Good day.

the_ouskull

Bruiser53
2/17/2009, 06:47 PM
Austin Johnson was a highly touted recruit coming out of high school, but most thought he would be a four year player and be good at the college level. He has failed to exceed expectations for his position and recruited level, until Big 12 play this year.

I consider the way he has run the point, and I see good passes, clutch shots and a lot of turnovers, but this has always be in the issue for AJ.

The only question is, what would it take to get the NBA scouts to take a chance on him in a late draft round next year? A Championship game MVP, or something of that nature I think could get it done but thats as lofty a goal as he could set for himself. I'm not sure if anything else would be able to get him a look, honestly, but he could be in Europe next year. Whaddya tink?

Not sure where this turnover rumor got started considering AJ is leading the Big 12 in assist to turnover ratio. I think that's about all you can ask for in a point guard.

Assist-to-Turnover Ratio Cl G Ast. T/O Ratio
1. Johnson, Austin-OU Sr 26 113 40 2.8
2. Taylor, Zaire-MU Jr 26 90 33 2.7
3. Carter, Tweety-BU Jr 22 69 27 2.6
4. Mason, Justin-UT Jr 25 119 51 2.3
5. Tiller, J.T.-MU Jr 26 92 42 2.2

http://www.big12sports.com/fls/10410/pdfs/mbasketball/Big12stats.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=10410

OUgradJeff
2/18/2009, 10:52 PM
I don't know if he is all that average, hes high 30's most of his career here from FG and from 3pt. That's not average for a career.

Capel has really helped him. Almost as much as he did for Longar last season. His first season under Sampson, he shot 26%, but sinch has been knocking on 40 percent, is currently shooting 44% from the field and making more than a third of his three's... 33.46. That's not an average shot.

Um, that pretty much defines average...

Readyfor8
2/19/2009, 12:49 AM
Um, that pretty much defines average...

Yea well, I think he is above average, keep in mind the original post said I don't think he will get drafted short of getting a Championship MVP award, and that's to get a sniff.

I do however think if he can continue to progress, he could make it out of the Development league. Speaking of which I bet you were one of those people that said Longar would never make a professional impact, he is currently coming off the bench for LA in the developing league and doing for them what Patillo is doing for us now had a really nice game at the beginning of Feb end of Jan.

Collier11
2/19/2009, 11:20 AM
Seriously? He has no chance, he is too slow, cant dribble well enough, and is too inconsistent of a shooter, not to mention the guy is frail. I love the guy and what he is doing to lead our team the past several years, but there is no chance.

Remember Ace Mcghee and Hollis Price, they couldnt even make it