PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday was NOT "Presidents' Day"!

TUSooner
2/17/2009, 10:41 AM
Contrary to the pronouncements of CNN, Fox News and automobile and furniture salesmen across the nation, yesterday was not "Presidents' Day" - at least not officially. It was the official observance of "George Washington's Birthday." See 5 U.S.C. § 6103(a). Remember GW? Father of the Country and the Single Greatest American Evar?

Fox news made me gag yesterday by saying it was day to "honor all of those great decision makers [blah blah blah]"" URLLLPPPP!!! Bull ****!!! Gimme a ****in' break! George Washington does not have to share his day with anyone else! So you "presidents' day" sayers can **** off! :mad:

Some think the day is intended to honor Washington and Abraham Lincoln, both of whom were born in February. As worthy as Abe may be of a holiday, he doesn't have one. And if Washington's day isn't shared even with our saintly, martyred 16th President, who preserved the Union and steered us to the end of slavery, why on God's Blue Earth would anyone think it should be used to commemorate the likes of Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Warren G. Harding, Bill Clinton or any of a host of mediocre political hacks who happened to find their way to the White House?

Honor whom you will; be a slave to the cheesy cheesemongers of Madison Avenue and Fox News; buy a bleedin mattress in honor of James K. ****ing Polk, if you must. But KNOW YE for good and true that yesterday's federal holiday was "George Washington's Birthday" and it has never been designated to honor anyone else. buhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!11
<end rant>

yermom
2/17/2009, 12:24 PM
i thought they combined Lincoln's and Washington's birthdays together when they commissioned MLK day

Frozen Sooner
2/17/2009, 12:28 PM
Right.

It was Elizabeth Peratrovich Day!

sooner_born_1960
2/17/2009, 12:30 PM
There has never been a federal holiday honoring Lincoln. Several states have observed such a day, and they combined Lincoln and Washington when MLK got his holiday.

soonermix
2/17/2009, 01:08 PM
i got the day off... they can call it what ever the heck they want to :D

SoonersEnFuego
2/17/2009, 01:23 PM
Then why didn't the Garbage Men pick up my trash? ;)

Oldnslo
2/18/2009, 12:09 PM
Millard? Fillmore!

Penguin
2/18/2009, 05:40 PM
Contrary to the pronouncements of CNN, Fox News and automobile and furniture salesmen across the nation, yesterday was not "Presidents' Day" - at least not officially. It was the official observance of "George Washington's Birthday." See 5 U.S.C. § 6103(a). Remember GW? Father of the Country and the Single Greatest American Evar?

Fox news made me gag yesterday by saying it was day to "honor all of those great decision makers [blah blah blah]"" URLLLPPPP!!! Bull ****!!! Gimme a ****in' break! George Washington does not have to share his day with anyone else! So you "presidents' day" sayers can **** off! :mad:

Some think the day is intended to honor Washington and Abraham Lincoln, both of whom were born in February. As worthy as Abe may be of a holiday, he doesn't have one. And if Washington's day isn't shared even with our saintly, martyred 16th President, who preserved the Union and steered us to the end of slavery, why on God's Blue Earth would anyone think it should be used to commemorate the likes of Millard Fillmore, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Warren G. Harding, Bill Clinton or any of a host of mediocre political hacks who happened to find their way to the White House?

Honor whom you will; be a slave to the cheesy cheesemongers of Madison Avenue and Fox News; buy a bleedin mattress in honor of James K. ****ing Polk, if you must. But KNOW YE for good and true that yesterday's federal holiday was "George Washington's Birthday" and it has never been designated to honor anyone else. buhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!11
<end rant>

Why do you hate America?