Drew Allen (QB) ..... No. 15
Javon Harris (DB) .... No. 30
Tom Wort (LB) ........ No. 42
Jaydan Bird (LB) ........No. 55
Ronnell Lewis (LB) ..... No. 56

http://www.soonersports.com/multimedia/oklahoma_football_bytes.html

JLEW1818
2/16/2009, 06:33 PM
I guess Ryan Reynolds figured the number 8 was not lucky for his health.

good thing i didn't get a Franks jersey made last year.

JLEW1818
2/16/2009, 06:37 PM
Some more cool stuff

OU's Jon Cooper: Sam Bradford might stick around
Published: February 16, 2009
Buzz up!

Not only was former Sooner center Jon Cooper not surprised quarterback Sam Bradford returned for his junior season at Oklahoma, Cooper fully expects Bradford to stay for his senior year, too.

"Me and him have gotten to be pretty good friends. He loves it at OU, there was no doubt he was going back,” Cooper said. "I bet right now, he’s planning on going back again. That could change, but right now, there’s no thought of leaving in his mind.

"He’s the quarterback at OU. Nothing beats college life. I miss it already, I tell you that much. There’s nothing bad to say about it.”

(that would be nice, ha)

Big 12 power rankings: Texas back on top

February 9, 2009 10:20 AM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Griffin

It's an inexact science trying to provide power rankings more than six months before the Big 12 season starts, but here's my best guess heading into spring practice. I've considered coaching changes, NFL draft defections, returning players, schedules and expected boost from arriving recruiting classes in determining how I think teams should be placed heading into the spring.

1. Texas -- A sense of unfinished business is present after the Longhorns came within seconds of challenging for the national championship last season. That feeling helped lure Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley back for another year. If recruit Chris Whaley can emerge at running back and the defensive line can be rebuilt, the Longhorns should be in the hunt for a shot at the national title game at the Rose Bowl. The last time the crystal ball was awarded there, Texas upset USC for the championship. Could history repeat itself?

2. Oklahoma -- The Sooners had a strong signing day, but an even better one a couple of weeks earlier when Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford, Jermaine Gresham and Gerald McCoy, among others, decided to return for the 2009 season. But the Sooners still need to find some playmakers at wide receiver and rebuild their offensive line. And of a more immediate concern for Bob Stoops than his recent BCS bowl struggles is that nagging 1-3 mark against Texas over the past four seasons.

3. Oklahoma State -- Next season's Texas Tech could be Oklahoma State, which has all of its major weapons returning after Russell Okung decided to put off the NFL draft for another season. But the Cowboys' hopes of challenging for their first Big 12 South title will depend on wily veteran coordinator Bill Young's work with the defense. If it can improve like the Red Raiders did most of the 2008 season, it won't be far-fetched to think that the Cowboys can make a similar jump.

4. Nebraska -- The Cornhuskers got a big shot of momentum after their impressive comeback victory in the Gator Bowl. Ndamukong Suh will be back, but the Cornhuskers have to find a replacement for Joe Ganz at quarterback. Offensive coordinator Shawn Watson's work in turning out serviceable players at the position at Colorado and Nebraska lessens some of those concerns. But it still wouldn't surprise me to be seeing heralded incoming freshman Cody Green to be starting at the position by early November -- maybe even with the North Division title on the line.

5. Kansas -- The Jayhawks made history last season by making back-to-back bowl trips. With most of their major offensive weapons back, can they make similar history with their first undisputed Big 12 North title? Todd Reesing and Dezmon Briscoe will pile up passing yardage, along with increased talent from their past two recruiting classes. But the Jayhawks still face the same challenging Texas-Oklahoma-Texas Tech rotation among South opponents, making for the toughest challenge of any North team in their out-of-division contests.

6. Texas Tech -- Michael Crabtree and Graham Harrell are gone. Mike Leach is angry after a prolonged contract dispute with school officials. It will mean that Taylor Potts will face a huge challenge stepping in at quarterback. And defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill hopes that some of the strong talent in the trenches can step forward immediately after his team's late collapse against Oklahoma and Mississippi last season.

7. Missouri -- The Tigers' offense will take a big step back with Chase Daniel, Chase Coffman and Jeremy Maclin all gone from last season's Alamo Bowl team. Sean Weatherspoon will anchor a defense that will have to rebuild after losing Ziggy Hood, Stryker Sulak and William Moore. Too many key Tiger players are leaving to think they can make a three-peat of North Division titles, although Missouri should again be in the hunt for a bowl game.

8. Colorado -- Dan Hawkins is already sold on this team, proclaiming it capable of a 10-2 record shortly after his team's disappointing finish last season. I'm not thinking Colorado will be that good, but I do expect a bowl trip if the Buffs can stay away from injuries, Cody Hawkins or Tyler Hansen emerges at quarterback and Darrell Scott fulfills the promise he arrived at college with.

9. Baylor -- Art Briles' unexpectedly solid recruiting class should provide Robert Griffin with a lot of weapons. Most notable might be Terrance Ganaway, a bullish 220-pound transfer from Houston who will give Jay Finley a nice balance at running back. The Bears' hopes of making their first bowl appearance since the Big 12 was formed will depend on playing better in close games -- they were 0-3 in games settled by a touchdown or less in 2008.

10. Kansas State -- Bill Snyder's return to college coaching didn't wow recruits, but it's a start. The Wildcats do have 15 returning starters, but have to hope that new coordinator Andy Ludwig can make some offensive magic with either Carson Coffman or junior college transfer Daniel Thomas. And they have to hope that some offensive linemen emerge to protect whoever is starting.

11. Texas A&M -- Mike Sherman added speed and playmaking ability to his defense, but the Aggies really needed it. And all of the heralded recruits still will be facing a steep learning curve against all of the other heralded offenses in the South Division. But Christine Michael will be arriving as the most heralded playmaker for the Aggies in more than decade, ensuring there will be some excitement when he's surrounded by players like Jerrod Johnson and Jeff Fuller.

12. Iowa State -- Paul Rhoads is back at Iowa State, and he'll think it's kind of like 1995, when he started coaching there on Dan McCarney's staff. The challenges in the Big 12 might be even more imposing than they were then, meaning Rhoads will be facing a steep climb to respectability. Austen Arnaud, Alexander Robinson and Darius Darks provide an offensive foundation, but Rhoads' biggest talents have always been developing a defense. He'll definitely have his work cut out at his new job.

Top 25 Classes: Oklahoma Sooners
By Braden Gall
Published: February 16th, 2009
Recruiting Editor
Send Braden an Email

Adjust font size

No. 6: Oklahoma Sooners (2nd Big 12)

2009 Haul: 23 signees (Athlon Consensus 100: 6)

Positional Breakdown

Position Number AC100
QB 1 0
RB 1 0
WR 2 0
TE 1 0
OL 4 0
DE 3 1
DT 1 1
LB 4 2
DB 5 2
ATH 1 0

AC100 Prospects

9. Jamarkus McFarland — DT — Lufkin, Texas (6-foot-3, 280 lbs)

McFarland has every necessary tool to be an All-American at the next level. His physical attributes are obviously very impressive. He is a picture of raw strength. He came into high school benching 300 pounds as a freshman and has only continued to add power. He over matches every blocker on the high school level, forcing most teams to double team him on nearly every play. He is all of 6-foot-3 and will eventually play around 300 pounds. His combination of size and power make him a formidable obstacle up the middle.

McFarland is not just a brute force, however. He has great feet and a quick burst off the line. He lives in opponents backfields, which normally leads to lineman trying to cut him on most plays. Once he gets into a college environment with players of equal talent, his one-on-one skills will take over. The mugging he takes on a regular basis in high school will not take place on the college football field.
McFarland's most intriguing attribute is his work ethic and mental make-up. He was the student body president of Lufkin High School as a junior. He does not miss class. He does not miss practice. He does not miss workouts. Simply put, he is a humble, hard working young player.

McFarland also is a prominent member of the 30,000 person community of Lufkin. He works with children and younger athletes, stressing the importance of school work and discipline. He is as superb of a young man as he is an athlete. And he is quite an athlete.
23. Gabe Lynn — CB — Jenks, Okla. (6-foot, 185 lbs)
One of the top cover corners in the nation will be a dynamic return man as well.

71. Ronnell Lewis — LB — Dewar, Okla. (6-foot-3, 220 lbs)
Freak athlete who has never played 11-man football before.

75. Justin Chaisson — DE — Las Vegas, Nevada (6-foot-5, 255 lbs)
Fierce competitor showed his ability in superb Under Armour performance.

81. Kevin Brent — S — Dallas, Texas (5-foot-11, 195 lbs)
Athletic safety is No. 2 rated defensive back from Texas this season.

99. Tom Wort — LB — New Braunfels, Texas (6-foot-1, 210 lbs)
Fits mold of new-wave linebacker: slightly undersized but fast and physical.

Also Receiving AC100 Points

159. Drew Allen — QB — San Antonio, Texas (6-foot-5, 210 lbs)

Where They Got Them

The states of Oklahoma and Texas will forever be linked in the world of college football. It is one of the biggest rivalries in the nation year in and year out. When it comes to recruiting, the Sooners and Longhorns tend to battle as well — and most of the time its within the Lone Star State. Eleven of the state's prospects have decided to head north to Oklahoma. The day that the Sooners stop recruiting Texas will be the day they stop competing for Big 12 championships — it is imperative to their success.

Speaking of the Sooner State, Bob Stoops and company plucked five players from a state that is actually a bit underrated for its production of talent. OU landed two of the three AC100 in-state prospects including the state's top player Gabe Lynn (no one has landed the other: Midwest City running back David Oku).

Staying in the heartland, the Sooners landed four total players from Missouri and Kansas. They also dipped into Pennsylvania and Mississippi for one player each. In addition, the state of Nevada has been kind to Oklahoma recently — see DeMarco Murray — and this year another top-100 player heads to Norman. Justin Chaisson was the Silver State's top rated prospect and he will be a Sooner.

The Scouting Report

There seems to be a theme developing among the nation's top classes: defense. The old adage that it wins championships is true on all levels of play. The Sooners spent nearly two thirds of their available class on defense and all six AC100 prospects will be chasing ball carriers in college.

Bob Stoops addressed all three levels of his defense. He landed four lineman, four linebackers and five defensive backs. Each level claimed two AC100 prospects. Jamarkus McFarland leads the way and will continue the recent run of superstar defensive tackles. Chaisson played great in Orlando against some of the elite blockers in the nation. Ronnell Lewis and Tom Wort head up a solid group of linebackers. Lewis, like Chaisson, had a great week at the Under Armour event and will be an interesting story to watch in spring practice (he is enrolled early). His freakish athletic ability is unquestioned but his adjustment to 11-man football could take some time. Once that happens, Big 12 quarterbacks and running backs should very be worried.

The secondary got the most attention and is the deepest position in this class. Lynn will impact the game in so many ways right from the get go and Brent is a dependable, aggressive player. The Sooners stole Demotre Hurst away from in-state rival Oklahoma State on Signing Day and Marcus Trice is undersized but incredibly mature for his age. Trice could be ready to play sooner because he is better suited to handle college than most 17 year old kids. Sprinkle in Jovan Harris and Oklahoma can claim one of the best defensive back classes in the nation.

Athlete Marshall Musil could end up at multiple positions on either side of the ball, although fullback is the most likely destination.

The offensive side of the ball did not get the attention the defensive side did. Stoops and staff assembled a nine man collection of "middle of the pack" recruits. Depth was important along the offensive line and with four incoming freshman in this class, the Sooners have it. This was crucial considering how much talent is leaving the O-line in '09. Quarterback Drew Allen is the most likely to elevate himself from middle of the pack status. He is the highest rated offensive prospect in this class and has a striking resemblance to a current Sooner signal caller named Sam Bradford. Like Bradford, Allen is a 6-foot-5, under-recruited pro-style passer. A Heisman Trophy is saying way too much, but Allen could prove a lot of internet service scouts very wrong.

Junior College receiver Cameron Kenney — at 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds — has a great size-speed combo that will obviously be important with the loss of Juaquin Iglesias and Manuel Johnson. Jonathan Miller is the only tailback recruit in this class but he is a good one. At nearly 6-foot, Miller has the speed to get to the edge and make things tough for outside linebackers. He adds depth to a running back corp that features DeMarco Murray, Chris Brown, Mossis Madu, Jermie Calhoun and Justin Johnson. OU has few peers nationally when it comes to talented tailbacks.

The Sooners also signed Gabe Ikard, a 6-foot-4, 245-pound tight end from Oklahoma City.

OU-HSV
2/16/2009, 08:26 PM
Wow, guess I never knew about this guy

Ben Sherrard (QB) No. 10...... 6
I thought our QBs this upcoming season were Sam, Landry, Nimmo and Drew Allen

soonerfan28
2/28/2009, 09:59 PM
Dominique Franks (DB) Now #1 was #15
Ryan Reynolds (LB) Now #4 was #8
Joseph Ibiloye (DB) Now #5 was #41
Ben Sherrard (QB) Now #10 was #6
Corey Wilson (WR) Now #13 was #11
Lamar Harris (DB) Now #15 was #19
Turner Troup (LB) Now #41 was #45
Sean Morrison (DS) Now #58 was #56
Jarvis Jones (OL) Now #76 was #75
James Winchester (DS) Now #86 was #46
Drew Allen (QB) #15
Javon Harris (DB) #30
Tom Wort (LB) #42
Jaydan Bird (LB) #55
Ronnell Lewis (LB) #56

JLEW1818
3/1/2009, 02:05 PM
i like franks going to number 1

JLEW1818
3/1/2009, 05:21 PM
Ryan said he changed back to number 4 (his high school number) for better luck. Can't blame him, number 8 has been painful for him.

snp
3/1/2009, 06:52 PM

He's a walkon, like Nimmo.

soonerfan28
3/1/2009, 07:05 PM

He had an offer from Memphis but he chose to walk on at OU. He made the right decision and he looks like a pretty good QB.

Crucifax Autumn
3/1/2009, 07:43 PM
I can't wait to see another Vegas kid making a difference. He's a pretty good player from everything I've seen and he should have a real impact.

JLEW1818
3/1/2009, 10:53 PM
Ryan Reynolds gets released in May, FYI. I hope he has a good summer.

Sam.England
3/2/2009, 09:55 AM
Just be looking out for that #42 come game time!!!

starclassic tama
3/2/2009, 12:07 PM
you guys think wort or lewis will redshirt this year given how thin we are at linebackers? i tend to think one or both might play special teams and backup in case something happens to one of our starters...

SoonerDood
3/2/2009, 12:51 PM
Lewis cannot redshirt this season. So Wort would be the logical choice.

Salt City Sooner
3/2/2009, 01:05 PM
Lewis cannot redshirt this season. So Wort would be the logical choice.
Ronnell, not Travis.

soonerfan28
3/2/2009, 01:16 PM
I think a redshirt year would benefit Wort more and only because he lacks the ideal size at this time to be an impact at anything other then special teams. He could benefit from a year of gaining another 15 pounds.

I think a guy that people are underestimating is Daniel Franklin who redshirted last year and has a pretty good upside. I think he could make an impact in the next couple of years.

badger
3/2/2009, 02:10 PM
Some day, I hope there are certain numbers that are highly sought at certain positions because of their prestige - like So Cal's No. 1 at wide receiver. It was apparently the reason DeSean Jackson chose Cal instead (because Turner had it promised to him).

As for Oklahoma... QB14 should only be granted to the most deserving quarterback from here on out. You get to wear #14, you better be ready to win a Heisman and take OU to the championship... Big 12 AND otherwise.

As for the rest, WR9 (Mark Clayton), RB28 (All Day), or #38 (Gautt, TRRW) might catch on too. Thoughts?

soonermix
3/2/2009, 03:20 PM
i'm not sure i want a tradition based on something so cal started or does

but thats just me

starclassic tama
3/2/2009, 03:29 PM
why can't ronnell lewis redshirt? and i highly doubt that jackson didn't pick USC based on the availability of a jersey number. i'm gonna go out on a limb and say that USC's depth at WR had a little to do with that

soonerfan28
3/2/2009, 04:01 PM
R.Lewis can redshirt but with the fact that we don't have much more then maybe a two-deep @ LB then it makes it unlikely.

SLB Keenan Clayton (2)Lamont Robinson or Daniel Franklin

MLB Mike Balogun or Ryan Reynolds or Austin Box

WLB Travis Lewis (2)JR Bryant

If Reynold and Box come back from injuries at full strength then it's a possibility that all the incoming LB's redshirt, but when you have a situation like the Curtis Lofton thing where he started 1 full year then went pro schools are going to get as much production out of a player as they can. I think Wort is a better candidate for redshirt because of his size.

NormanPride
3/2/2009, 04:23 PM
Corey Wilson (WR) Now #13 was #11

:(:( Get well soon, Corey.

snp
3/2/2009, 04:26 PM
R.Lewis can redshirt but with the fact that we don't have much more then maybe a two-deep @ LB then it makes it unlikely.

SLB Keenan Clayton (2)Lamont Robinson or Daniel Franklin

MLB Mike Balogun or Ryan Reynolds or Austin Box

WLB Travis Lewis (2)JR Bryant

If Reynold and Box come back from injuries at full strength then it's a possibility that all the incoming LB's redshirt, but when you have a situation like the Curtis Lofton thing where he started 1 full year then went pro schools are going to get as much production out of a player as they can. I think Wort is a better candidate for redshirt because of his size.

Lamont Robinson has gave up his football eligibility for law school.

I bet Lewis and Wort both play on ST.

soonerfan28
3/2/2009, 04:37 PM
That's good to here that Lamont has given up football for law school. I remember the story that came out when he signed with OU about a car wreck he was in in HS that almost ended any chance of getting a scholarship. Lewis and Wort may be on ST, but real field time is unlikely. The way that we covered kicks last year we can use all the help we can get. Wort is one hell of a torpedo and he'll be fun to watch.

badger
3/3/2009, 10:33 AM
I don't mean that we copy the condoms at all - I just mean that some jersey numbers on our team will have such a history that it will truly be an honor to be the one granted permission to wear them - like Blake Griffin getting permission from Tisdale to wear his retired No. 23 in basketball. I just used the No. 1 wide receiver jersey out in So Cal as a football example. In retrospect, I should have probably just used the OU basketball No. 23 example.

So, like I said, as soon as Sammie graduates and we get another guy on our team or a new recruit wanting to wear No. 14, he better be D@MN good and ready to uphold the prestige and tradition of that jersey. :)

starclassic tama
3/3/2009, 10:48 AM
michigan is the school with the tradition behind the #1 jersey, not USC.

starrca23
3/3/2009, 11:07 AM
DeSean's EGO is legendary. Wouldn't surprise me on bit if that was true.

badger
3/3/2009, 11:21 AM
DeSean's EGO is legendary. Wouldn't surprise me on bit if that was true.

I wasn't just pulling sh!t out of thin air - it was in a feature on why a lifelong USC fan chose Cal over his favorite, close-to-home school when USC was strongly recruiting him. Here (http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?section=magazine&id=3618046)'s a linky, and here's a excerpt:

PETE CARROLL AND THREE assistants in USC golf shirts sit in the Jackson family living room, each giving a pitch for what should be an easy sell: "Let's go, you know you wanna be a Trojan." "DeSean, you grew up a diehard Trojans fan" …"You can be USC's game-breaker once Reggie leaves for the NFL." But when DeSean asks to wear No. 1, Carroll says, "Hey, it's not about the number. We want you to come to SC because we want you to be a Trojan."

The coaches are shown out, and DeSean and his dad, Bill, discuss the visit. Maybe, DeSean reasons, Carroll has promised the number to Patrick Turner, a wideout from Nashville. "They're taking me for granted," he says. And no one disagrees.

It is possible that the Jackson family made that up, yes. However, the fact remains that Jackson chose Cal (and wore No. 1 once he got there, haha), Turner ended up at USC with the No. 1 jersey and whatev after that, because Pac 10 football is worthless anyway, except for Mikey and Zona ;)

Hot Rod
3/4/2009, 09:07 AM
Ryan said he changed back to number 4 (his high school number) for better luck. Can't blame him, number 8 has been painful for him.

And now will be for my son, after he wanted a #8 jersey so bad and then had it signed by RR. :(

badger
3/4/2009, 09:45 AM
And now will be for my son, after he wanted a #8 jersey so bad and then had it signed by RR. :(

Come on, man. When you inevitably tell your son (or he finds out), just turn it into a positive, like "Now we get to go meet Ryan Reynolds again so he can sign a cap/#4 jersey/pennant for you too!"

Don't be all like "Well I guess your No. 8 jersey is worthless now, huh? That's his injury number."

Rather, be all like "Wasn't meeting Ryan Reynolds the first time cool? Now we have to go watch him play again and meet him afterward once more!"

Besides, now that he's not No. 8 anymore, you could get "REYNOLDS" put on the back without NCAA regulations being all... regulatory and junk :D