PDA

View Full Version : Prayers for the crews of two unfortunate subs

Chuck Bao
2/15/2009, 11:29 PM
This Sun article is astonishing. It describes the chance of two nuclear subs bumping into one another somewhere in the mid-Atlantic as “millions-to-one”.

I guess the crews are fine and don't need my prayers. I had misread the article. It is still a scary thought.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2240543.ece

UNTHINKABLE

By TOM NEWTON DUNN
Defence Editor
Published: Today

BRITISH and French nuclear submarines which collided deep under the Atlantic could have sunk or released deadly radioactivity, it emerged last night.
The Royal Navy’s HMS Vanguard and the French Navy’s Le Triomphant are both nuclear powered and were carrying nuke missiles.

Between them they had around 250 sailors on board.

A senior Navy source said: “The potential consequences are unthinkable. It’s very unlikely there would have been a nuclear explosion.

“But a radioactive leak was a possibility. Worse, we could have lost the crew and warheads. That would have been a national disaster.”

The collision is believed to have taken place on February 3 or 4, in mid-Atlantic. Both subs were submerged and on separate missions.

As inquiries began, naval sources said it was a millions-to-one unlucky chance both subs were in the same patch of sea. Warships have sonar gear which locates submarines by sound waves.

But modern anti-sonar technology is so good it is possible neither boat “saw” the other.

A senior military source said: “The lines between London and Paris have been hot.”

The MoD insisted last night there had been no nuclear security breach. But this is the biggest embarrassment to the Navy since Iran captured 15 sailors in 2007. The naval source said: “Crashing a nuclear submarine is as serious as it gets.”

Vanguard is one of Britain’s four V-Class subs forming our Trident nuclear deterrent. Each is armed with 16 ballistic missiles.

She was last night towed into Faslane in Scotland, with dents and scrapes visible on her hull. Triomphant limped to Brest with extensive damage to her sonar dome.

Triomphant has a crew of 101. Vanguard weighs 16,000 tons, is 150 metres long and has a crew of 140.

The MoD said it did not comment on submarine operations.

olevetonahill
2/15/2009, 11:38 PM
Bro that article said they both Made it to port .
Are you concerned about them having Radiation exposure ?

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 11:46 PM
I'm not sure how, but this had to be the fault of the French. The British navy doesn't make mistakes.

Chuck Bao
2/15/2009, 11:50 PM
Bro that article said they both Made it to port .
Are you concerned about them having Radiation exposure ?

Yeah, I noticed that paragraph as soon as I posted it and the edited it (except for the title).

That is what I get for posting while I'm supposed to be working.

olevetonahill
2/16/2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I noticed that paragraph as soon as I posted it and the edited it (except for the title).

That is what I get for posting while I'm supposed to be working.

I thot maybe ya was drankin .:D :D ;)

olevetonahill
2/16/2009, 12:12 AM
I'm not sure how, but this had to be the fault of the French. The British navy doesn't make mistakes.

The french were prolly tryin to surender.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/16/2009, 08:15 AM
2 Commanders/Captains will be on the retirement list shortly...

royalfan5
2/16/2009, 08:18 AM

Except when designing Battlecruiser's that had a propensity to explode when the Germans looked at them sideways.

swardboy
2/16/2009, 08:54 AM
Yeah, when I first read that story online last night I initially had the impression that one or both subs were on the ocean floor leaking radiation...dang sensationalistic British press.

Makes me wonder how many nuclear missiles are at sea at any given time. Wouldn't it suck to witness nuclear annihilation from a sub safe at sea....pretty safe to say all your ports would be out of commission.

stoopified
2/16/2009, 10:45 AM
The french were prolly tryin to surender.Naw they thought a German sub was after them and they tried to get away.FROGS! What can ya do? :)

OklahomaTuba
2/16/2009, 01:32 PM
A French sub named Le Triomphant?

Classic!

OUDoc
2/16/2009, 02:37 PM
Why do the French even bother with a military? You'd think they could put that money into deodorant or humility lessons.

Pricetag
2/16/2009, 02:38 PM
Makes me wonder how many nuclear missiles are at sea at any given time. Wouldn't it suck to witness nuclear annihilation from a sub safe at sea....pretty safe to say all your ports would be out of commission.
Just head for Melbourne.