PDA

View Full Version : Pilot's license

I Am Right
2/15/2009, 07:22 PM
Does anybody out there have a pilot's license, and if so, is IFR training hard?

Jerk
2/15/2009, 07:39 PM

Well, you need to have your VFR, first. But IFR isn't that hard. "I fly roads" is actually an easier way to navigate than using VOR's.

You need to go through some Special High Intensity Training (S.H.I.T.) to get it though.

SoonerStormchaser
2/15/2009, 07:52 PM
Heh...as a Nav, it's actually gonna be pretty damned easy for me to get my instrument rating once I finally get my PPL...

...one day...

Okla-homey
2/15/2009, 07:56 PM

Like anything else worthwhile, it costs money. If you can afford the training (both ground and flight) its certainly possible. I've seen more than a few melonheads get through just fine.

soonerbornin86
2/15/2009, 08:32 PM

I am a flight instructor. I just got my CFI certificate back in November. I did my instrument training this time last year. An instrument rating is a very useful rating to have. The training isn't necessarily hard, but it can be challenging at times.

One thing that will help out a lot is if you get a flight simulator and use that to practice setting up approaches, holds, and general instrument flying. That will make it much easier once you get into the plane and start flying on instruments for real.

I Am Right
2/15/2009, 09:08 PM
Like anything else worthwhile, it costs money. If you can afford the training (both ground and flight) its certainly possible. I've seen more than a few melonheads get through just fine.

Wow, another name caller, you must be so proud.

I Am Right
2/15/2009, 09:10 PM
I am a flight instructor. I just got my CFI certificate back in November. I did my instrument training this time last year. An instrument rating is a very useful rating to have. The training isn't necessarily hard, but it can be challenging at times.

One thing that will help out a lot is if you get a flight simulator and use that to practice setting up approaches, holds, and general instrument flying. That will make it much easier once you get into the plane and start flying on instruments for real.

Now, that is what I call good advise. What kind of Simulator?

olevetonahill
2/15/2009, 09:17 PM

A " Flight simulator " Pay tention :rolleyes:

Al Gore
2/15/2009, 09:20 PM
KABOOKIE is a pilot.....

soonerbornin86
2/15/2009, 11:34 PM

Microsoft Flight Simulator or X-Plane are your best bets. MFS is a lot more user friendly, and the scenery is more realistic, but in terms of flight physics it isn't as realistic as X-Plane. X-Plane has the most realistic flight dynamics, but it can be a little harder to use at times.

Where a flight simulator really helps with instrument training is setting up and flying holds and approaches. If you can become proficient at those using the flight simulator, it's going to be a lot easier for you when you get in a real airplane and do them.

I Am Right
2/16/2009, 03:46 PM
Microsoft Flight Simulator or X-Plane are your best bets. MFS is a lot more user friendly, and the scenery is more realistic, but in terms of flight physics it isn't as realistic as X-Plane. X-Plane has the most realistic flight dynamics, but it can be a little harder to use at times.

Where a flight simulator really helps with instrument training is setting up and flying holds and approaches. If you can become proficient at those using the flight simulator, it's going to be a lot easier for you when you get in a real airplane and do them.

Thanks for the info.

I Am Right
2/16/2009, 03:47 PM
A " Flight simulator " Pay tention :rolleyes:

Hey scarcasmo, what are you so upset about?

walkoffsooner
2/16/2009, 03:53 PM
Something is tough about it my son inlaw has been working on a aviation degree for 4 years now.

JohnnyMack
2/16/2009, 04:04 PM
I used to play After Burner at the arcade.

olevetonahill
2/16/2009, 04:44 PM
Hey scarcasmo, what are you so upset about?

Being a Smartass is gettin upset ? whud thunk it .:P

soonerbornin86
2/16/2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

Something is tough about it my son inlaw has been working on a aviation degree for 4 years now.

Where's he going to school?

JohnnyMack
2/16/2009, 07:57 PM
And don't listen to Kabookie for advice, the guy pilots cargo planes flying rubber dog**** out of Hong Kong.

I Am Right
2/17/2009, 08:30 PM
Lessons start March 13 at 5:00 PM