PDA

View Full Version : Going Camping

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 05:48 PM
So, I was invited on a camping/hiking trip by a couple of friends of mine, some friends of theirs, and possibly my good roommate. The plan is to hike out somewhere and then set up camp.

The catch is this, all of them assume that I know how to camp and that I do it often and they honestly have no idea that my idea of roughing it is a hotel without room service. I-do-not-camp. I agreed to go because I don't want to look like a ****y.

So I think I can "fake" knowing what I'm doing or make it appear as if I do long enough to get through the trip. We'll be out there for 4 days. This should be interesting, but I'm definitely dreading it. We're supposed to do this in mid-March.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 05:51 PM
I called my dad last night to tell him about this trip, because I need him to start gathering all his gear up for me to use. I told him I was going hiking/camping for 4 days and he busted up laughing. When I told my mom she laughed as well and said, "Do you think you can physically do that?"

:sigh:

swardboy
2/15/2009, 05:52 PM
So, how many suitcases do you think you'll need?

:pop:

tommieharris91
2/15/2009, 06:01 PM
I agreed to go because I don't want to look like a ****y.

Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous ****y.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 06:23 PM
So, how many suitcases do you think you'll need?

:pop:

See, I don't know. I know I can't take a suitcase, but I don't how I'm going to pack for 4 days along with everything else I need.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2009, 06:58 PM
2-1 ODDS on a camping death.

Who's in?

OUHOMER
2/15/2009, 07:01 PM
Dude, dont go, you can not fake it. it will show within a few minutes that you dont know what your doing. I would like to go just to watch the comedy of it.

Oh and there are no showers in the woods. ivory soap floats by the way

OUHOMER
2/15/2009, 07:13 PM
This could be another Sicem classic. Please share your list, we would like to know what your taken

I Am Right
2/15/2009, 07:24 PM
do you have HDTV when going camping?

Okla-homey
2/15/2009, 08:22 PM
D00d,

How hard can it be? I mean, its not like you'll be evading Taliban or something and no one will be shooting at you. sheesh.

Just reach down into your little Confederate heart and think of Lee's Miserables marching 15 miles a day on a handful of peanuts and a piece of moldy salt pork while toting 30 pounds of gear, stopping only long enough to projectile poop their dysentary-inflamed guts out, then flopping down at night to spoon with four other skinny guys under a raggedy piece of quilt. Then, waking next morning at 4am to frost in their hair and doing it all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I suspect your ordeal will be nowhere near like that. You should do it. It might man you up a bit.

royalfan5
2/15/2009, 08:28 PM
Make sure to watch Deliverance the night before you leave.

olevetonahill
2/15/2009, 09:12 PM
Here ya go Sicem , Ya got time to study the whole set .
should Have ya lookin good by the time the trip comes around .;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2y6zc1yr4&NR=1

OUHOMER
2/15/2009, 09:22 PM
Here ya go Sicem , Ya got time to study the whole set .
should Have ya lookin good by the time the trip comes around .;)

We might have to splain to him not to use river bed rock to circle his camp fire.
Of course it would be funny to watch:D

Whet
2/15/2009, 09:50 PM
Just remember, when you need to take a dump, look for these leaves to clean yourself up. These leaves are soft and have a good scent.

http://www2.pittstate.edu/herbarium/woody/Toxicodendron_radicans_PoisonIvy_leaves.jpg

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 10:08 PM
D00d,

How hard can it be? I mean, its not like you'll be evading Taliban or something and no one will be shooting at you. sheesh.

Just reach down into your little Confederate heart and think of Lee's Miserables marching 15 miles a day on a handful of peanuts and a piece of moldy salt pork while toting 30 pounds of gear, stopping only long enough to projectile poop their dysentary-inflamed guts out, then flopping down at night to spoon with four other skinny guys under a raggedy piece of quilt. Then, waking next morning at 4am to frost in their hair and doing it all over again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I suspect your ordeal will be nowhere near like that. You should do it. It might man you up a bit.

You neglected to mention they did this, in most cases, barefoot.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 10:10 PM
This could be another Sicem classic. Please share your list, we would like to know what your taken

I have no idea. My Aggy father is taking care of all that. The only thing I myself am making sure to take are basic personal items and a hatchet. I really really want a hatchet.

olevetonahill
2/15/2009, 10:12 PM
I have no idea. My Aggy father is taking care of all that. The only thing I myself am making sure to take are basic personal items and a hatchet. I really really want a hatchet.

You gonna Chop down a ****in cherry Tree ?

Curly Bill
2/15/2009, 10:15 PM
You gonna Chop down a ****in cherry Tree ?

I'm thinking more emergency trip to the hospital than I am tree chopping. :D

Whet
2/15/2009, 10:17 PM
If you wear Depends, you will not need to poop in the woods!

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 10:20 PM
If you wear Depends, you will not need to poop in the woods!

Actually, I don't intend to in any case. I'm going to take a bunch of that **** that plugs you up and I'm not doing a damned thing until I get home. I'll eat light.

Whet
2/15/2009, 10:23 PM
Camping is just a natural laxative.... You'll need them!

tommieharris91
2/15/2009, 10:24 PM
I'll eat light.

Not if you're hiking.

colleyvillesooner
2/15/2009, 10:32 PM
I really really want a hatchet.

Odds have changed to 5-3

olevetonahill
2/15/2009, 10:40 PM
Odds have changed to 5-3

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Whet
2/15/2009, 10:55 PM
Have you watched the Survivorman series? You might want to watch a few episodes of that before you go out.

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 11:03 PM
Have you watched the Survivorman series? You might want to watch a few episodes of that before you go out.

I saw a commercial for it the other day and he was digging around some bear crap looking for undigested food to eat....which he did. I would just starve to death and die.

Whet
2/15/2009, 11:18 PM
bring a good knife!

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 11:20 PM
bring a good knife!

I'm taking a hatchet -- keep up!

yermom
2/15/2009, 11:21 PM
I saw a commercial for it the other day and he was digging around some bear crap looking for undigested food to eat....which he did. I would just starve to death and die.

that's Man vs. Wild. Bear Grylls is a poseur ;)

are we talking car camping at a campsite or like hiking out somewhere?

SicEmBaylor
2/15/2009, 11:27 PM
that's Man vs. Wild. Bear Grylls is a poseur ;)

are we talking car camping at a campsite or like hiking out somewhere?

Hiking out somewhere is the current plan. All of these guys are outdoor types though. My roommate is a game warden so he's outdoors a lot and going with us.

AlbqSooner
2/16/2009, 07:36 AM
Do yourself a favor and tell your fellow vagabonds that you have never been on a trip like this. As stated earlier, they will know by the time you get your gear loaded in the truck anyway. They can help you determine what to take. Forget the hatchet. You have no need for one and it is extra weight which YOU will have to carry on your back. You will need one change of pants and one extra shirt, that extra weight thing again. Roll of toilet paper. Quart of grain alcohol and a few packs of Wyler's Lemonade Mix. Not a bad toddy under the circumstances. Disposable lighter. Good sleeping bag. Get a "camelback" type of canteen and a good metal cup. Check with the others on food. Have fun and make sure to take a pencil and paper so we can read about the adventure when you return. It should be a Sic Em classic post.

Okla-homey
2/16/2009, 07:47 AM
and make sure to strip nekkid each night near the fire and have someone check you for ticks.

SoonerJack
2/16/2009, 09:04 AM
I'm taking a hatchet -- keep up!

I would recommend that your hatchet be of the rubber variety with the feathers and leather thong tied on one end. Far safer for you than anything with an actual blade.

King Crimson
2/16/2009, 09:49 AM
I predict chafing or blisters FTW.

soonerboomer93
2/16/2009, 11:23 AM
Odds have changed to 5-3

does this include the "not gonna poop" idea?

ZZoot
2/16/2009, 01:23 PM
Practice you pig squeals!

soonerbrat
2/16/2009, 01:37 PM
why in the world would they assume you camp often? have you bragged about your camping skills or something?

mdklatt
2/16/2009, 01:55 PM
So, I was invited on a camping/hiking trip by a couple of friends of mine, some friends of theirs, and possibly my good roommate. ... I agreed to go because I don't want to look like a ****y.

Don't sweat it. Surely they already know you're a ****y.

8timechamps
2/17/2009, 11:37 AM
Seriously, camping is as hard as taking a dump. It's not like you'll be filming a survial video or something.

Go to campsite, set up tent, camp. In that order.

I can also teach you how to use your lungs daily to help you survive, if you need me to.

SouthFortySooner
2/18/2009, 12:38 AM
Are you coming to McCurtain Co. by any chance?

SicEmBaylor
2/18/2009, 12:43 AM
Are you coming to McCurtain Co. by any chance?

Hah, no. We'll stay in Texas. I have no idea exactly where we're going but hill country is a good bet.

tulsaoilerfan
2/18/2009, 08:52 PM
Why anyone that doesn't normally go camping would think it's a good idea is beyond belief; this can't end well:D

Jimminy Crimson
2/19/2009, 03:40 AM
Hopefully you all get a chance to hunt some snipe. I hear there are a good number of snipe in the TX Hill Country.

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2009, 03:49 AM
Hopefully you all get a chance to hunt some snipe. I hear there are a good number of snipe in the TX Hill Country.

I may not exactly be the outdoors type, but I'm still from Oklahoma. I took my Boston friend on a snipe hunt 4 years ago. ;)

Chuck Bao
2/19/2009, 06:48 AM
I have no advice to offer you, Sic’em.

The last time I went camping with a friend, we got seriously lost.

I thought I was an outdoorsman. I thought I had a very good sense of direction. I thought I could take care of myself. I thought we were prepared. I thought I enjoyed the idea of roughing it.

What I found out was that it is hard to get your directions at night in the rain. A cigarette lighter does not serve the purpose of a flashlight. It is not fun to be covered with leeches. It is not a good idea to pitch a tent where there is a lot of wild elephant dung. And, I give up too easily. At one point, I told my friend to go on and save himself.

That was the last time I went camping.

I’m sure none of this applies to you and your camping buddies, Sic’em.

Anyway, good luck.

SicEmBaylor
2/19/2009, 09:25 AM
I’m sure none of this applies to you and your camping buddies, Sic’em.

Anyway, good luck.

You're right. I'd never tell my friend to get out and save himself instead. ;)