PDA

View Full Version : Spent a couple hours in the OKC Memorial Museum Saturday

Okla-homey
2/15/2009, 08:54 AM
If you haven't already done so, its something you and your family should do. And bring a handkerchief.

That is all.

Harry Beanbag
2/15/2009, 11:23 AM
It is the most well done museum of its kind I've ever been to. It puts the JFK assassination museum in Dallas to shame.

SouthFortySooner
2/15/2009, 05:39 PM
I just sat down and watched the post-bombing interviews of some of the victims. There were simultaneous videos playing of them being rescued.

It was mesmerizing.

The baby shoes. The surgeons knife.

You are right. People should see it.

47straight
2/16/2009, 05:02 PM
Really well-done. The break-down of the forensic investigation is fascinating.

soonerbrat
2/16/2009, 05:19 PM
i haven't been to the museum, but i do walk over to the memorial at lunchtime occasionally

85Sooner
2/17/2009, 11:15 AM
I was one of the many who worked for a week in the recovery effort so I avoided it for a long time and never thought I would make it in the doors. After a few years I went. It is a must see and I bet you can't make it through the first floor (top floor) before you need a tissue. Truly a great tribute to a terrible day. Most of the staff that I met were family members of victims (at least they were a few years ago.)

Okla-homey
2/17/2009, 12:08 PM
I was struck by a taped interview of a firefighter who was flown in from out-of-state to help with the recovery who stated he left OKC two weeks after he arrived with very penny he arrived with. No Okie would let him pay for anything.

That, and a story of an anonymous Okie who reponded to a call for work boots for the recovery team who were going through them pretty fast. This guy reported to the appointed collection site, handed over a fairly new pair of nice boots, and walked out in his sock feet.

And those, ladies and gentlemen, are just two reasons why there is no better place on Earth to make your home than the Sooner State.

85Sooner
2/17/2009, 04:41 PM
I was struck by a taped interview of a firefighter who was flown in from out-of-state to help with the recovery who stated he left OKC two weeks after he arrived with very penny he arrived with. No Okie would let him pay for anything.

That, and a story of an anonymous Okie who reponded to a call for work boots for the recovery team who were going through them pretty fast. This guy reported to the appointed collection site, handed over a fairly new pair of nice boots, and walked out in his sock feet.

And those, ladies and gentlemen, are just two reasons why there is no better place on Earth to make your home than the Sooner State.

Actually, it was a man with his family that pulled up to a drop off point and handed an officer his boots. The officer noticed that they were fairly new and warm. He peeked in to see that the man was driving in his socks.

We had asked the news to broadcast a need for crowbars. By the time the broadcast was over we had a fifty foot long line of crowbars stacked about 3 ft high.

Come to think of it I didn't spend a penny when I was there either. Oklahomans responded beyond imagination. I have a bunch of stories that were just amazing.