PDA

View Full Version : 04's Attempt: OU vs. Texas Tech Recap

Sooner04
2/14/2009, 05:47 PM
Those of you lucky enough to garner a seat inside the Lloyd Noble Center today saw individual greatness not seen in a generation. 40 point/20 rebound games don't come around often. They are not flukes. 40 point games happen. Sometimes a little wisp like Stephen Curry heaves up shots til he's blue in the face and, at the end, looks up and there's 40. Sometimes a guy who's only 6'4'' with the butt of a man who weighs 412 gobbles up every thing in sight and snatches 22 against a team that ends up going to the Final Four. That was Ernie Abercrombie.

But it takes a monster to do both in the same game. Wayman did it. Alvan did it. In OU lore, it gets no better than those two. Into that club now strolls Blake Griffin, who scored 40 on only 22 shots and grabbed 23 boards in only 31 minutes. It was a performance for the ages. Does Tech suck? I think so, but that will not keep me from smiling from ear to ear when I tell them that I saw Blake Griffin play.

The efficiency was frightening. Under a different coach, Blake would've had a Chamberlain-esque game of 50 and 30 today. There is no doubt in my mind. He was so far above everyone on the floor today it was amazing. Balls would take a weird carom, but he'd get a finger on it and bring it back in. He'd miss, re-set himself, and jump once more to finish what he'd started. Of his nine missed field goals, I bet he went ahead and scored eventually on half of them. It was a virtuoso performance. It was Lenny Bruce at Carnegie Hall, Napoleon at Austerlitz and Lee at Chancellorsville all rolled into one.

And I was there to see it. Awesome, awesome stuff. 95-74. We're clicking now, with our biggest games on the horizon.

SCORING BREAKDOWN:
1st - 19 [spit]
2nd - 30 [i will treat you well, my sweet angel.]
3rd - 28 [so help me JEEEEEEEEEEEEEESUS!]
4th - 18 [masked marauder, choking on refried beans.]

LEADING SCORERS:
40 - Blake Griffin
17 - Cade Davis [of the rainbow variety are his treys.]
15 - Willie Warren [quietest 15 I've ever seen.]

LEADING REBOUNDERS:
23 - Blake Griffin [if it was near, it was his.]
7 - Taylor Griffin
5 - Austin Johnson
4 - Cade Davis [totally underrated rebounder.]

PLUSES:
1. Blake Griffin: First Sooner to go over 40 since Jeff Webster against Colorado in '94. 15 years, people. The first 40/20 game in a generation. Only two more appearances at Lloyd Noble, and what more could he do?

2. Cade Davis: With Cade's 17, we've now had six different players score 17 or more in conference play. Throw in The Chupacabra, and we've had seven different guys score in double figures. That'll keep coaches up burning the midnight oil, especially when they're just sitting there waiting for Cade's treys to come down. There is nothing prettier than watching one of his shots rip the net after scraping the rafters. We'll need him the rest of the way.

3. Intro Video: They've shortened it a bit and, in my opinion, they've perfected it. Our opponents watch it in awe.

4. Crowd: Great crowd today. 12,009 at 12:30 on Valentine's Day. While attendance is dropping everywhere, we're drawing at least 10,000+ for conference play. We've come a LONG way in a short time, and hopefully it only gets better.

5. Willie Warren: A quiet 15 points, but five assists against a lone turnover. Also hit the shot that sparked us from the corner after Tech hit literally every shot in the early going.

MINUSES:
1. Reserve Post Defense: [shudder]. I have seen the future, and I'll need an extra blanket to hide under tonight. Even The Chupacabra looked off down there today. Seriously, move and KEEP your feet, guys. The last four minutes was horrid down there.

2. The Timing of Jeff Capel: Taking Blake out at a timeout instead of during a regular stoppage robbed him of an all-time standing ovation. Probably the pettiest gripe I've ever had, but I would've loved to see Blake salute the crowd after this performance for the ages. :)

3. Tony Crocker: I know Cade was unconscious, but two points? No field goals? Only three shots? You've got to plug in the Crock Pot before it can cook!

We've toyed with a few teams lately at home, but today was a whitewash. Once Tech stopped shooting above 80% we absolutely drummed them and NEVER let up. It was great to see. Now we'll take a much deserved week off and get ourselves in prime shape to venture down to Austin, a festering turd of a place where we haven't tasted victory since 2005. If this locomotive is to continue zooming downhill, we need to beat inferior teams on the road. The University of Texas is inferior to our Sooners, and if we play our game they're going to beat in a burnt orange world of hurt. Let's hope our boys bottle up the good vibes of this past week and transport them to that Drum by the Highway.

It's going to be a war Saturday night. We're 25-1 and 11-0 in conference. Do not forget, WE'RE the better team, and it's time to impose OUR will on the burnt orange scum.

Thank you for your time.

8timechamps
2/14/2009, 05:59 PM
Once again, thanks for the recap. Didn't get it on TV.

I kept an eye on the stats (online). I think Blake sealed his POY today.

I love it that someone seems to always step up and heelp out (whether it be AJ, or Davis today).

Glad for the win, even more happy our boys get a break before hitting the road.

tommieharris91
2/14/2009, 06:05 PM
I really wondered why OU recruited Orlando Allen. He didn't do too much in JUCO and he hasn't done too much here. I'm not sure he'll get much playing time next season.

King Crimson
2/14/2009, 06:24 PM
Once again, thanks for the recap. Didn't get it on TV.

dude, you ain't trying very hard.

oumartin
2/14/2009, 06:25 PM
I basically said the exact same thing! :D

oumartin
2/14/2009, 06:26 PM
oh, and we'd like to see the new intro. any links?

KC//CRIMSON
2/14/2009, 07:07 PM
Tejas, Rockchalk Gayhawk, Misery, and Aggy coming up. What a stretch to end the season.

Let the beatdowns commence!

Soonerus
2/14/2009, 07:19 PM
I went to the game today and it was awesome...see Pat Knight's comments, he called Blake "The Terminator"....

Rhino
2/14/2009, 07:45 PM
Pattillo's been sick, that's why he wasn't very effective today.

On any given night, two of the top seven can score 15+. That's an awesome feeling.

I really wondered why OU recruited Orlando Allen. He didn't do too much in JUCO and he hasn't done too much here. I'm not sure he'll get much playing time next season. Size alone makes him recruitable - injured 90% of his first year of JUCO and redshirted his second year. And I don't think he's fully in shape yet - he used to be 300+.

Remember that while Allen and Cannon are JUCO guys, they're still only sophomores, eligibility-wise. They'll get better.

instigator
2/14/2009, 09:04 PM
oh, and we'd like to see the new intro. any links?

Big ditto there. I can't find it on ss.com or youtube.

Thanks for the recap. I had to watch the whole thing on my computer on espn360. Not quite HD quality. ;)

cheezyq
2/14/2009, 09:42 PM
PLUSES:
1. Blake Griffin: First Sooner to go over 40 since Jeff Webster against Colorado in '94. 15 years, people. The first 40/20 game in a generation. Only two more appearances at Lloyd Noble, and what more could he do?

Man, half that statement belongs in the MINUS column. This year has kind of whisked along, and I didn't realize we've only got 2 home games left. I wish we could see another year or two of Blake in a Sooner uniform. It's sad that the old days where the best players stayed around for 3-4 years are gone.

OUSKINS
2/15/2009, 12:57 AM
That was about as much fun as you can have at the Lloyd Noble Center. Going in, we knew Texas Tech sucked and we knew OU should win handily. So what you hope to see is a show...and the Sooners put on a Globetrotter-like show on Saturday afternoon.

The Griffin brothers held a dunk party and all of the Red Raiders were invited. It was something to see....it's been all over Sportscenter....it was a game to remember.

Blake is absurd. And Pat Knight is even more absurd for playing him man to man all day long. It was silly how easily Blake was getting to the hoop. 40 and 23? In 31 minutes? Really? He was a beast...Tech players were literally bouncing off of him and crashing to the floor.

Again, Tech stinks. Really bad. Bob Knight did that program no favors and he left little in the cupboard for his son. His son, by the way, is in over his head...his team has been getting run all season long and he and his staff look like morons wearing their little warm-up suits on the sidelines. That team is lost, plain and simple. They have a couple of little guards that can score and Tech was RED hot early, but they had no chance to stop the Sooners.

OU is coming together right now....the addition of Pattillo has really strenghtened the team and if Cade shoots like he did on Saturday, watch out. We can count on Blake every game, and from there, we get production from different guys in different games. Capel is pulling the right strings and I LOVE how the team is slowly improving, even though they are already 25-1.

This team is so fun.....from the intro video at the LNC to the athleticism and excitement on the floor, this Sooner squad is one to watch.

I still have an odd feeling they may lose one of the three games against UT, Mizzou, or Kansas, but it really may not matter---a #1 seed is going to be hard to mess up at this point. If you aren't doing so already, start watching this team...it's a special group.

OUstud
2/15/2009, 01:43 AM
Pat Knight looks like a parent coaching his kid's YMCA team.

bri
2/15/2009, 02:06 PM
The intro video is the best pregame video since football '03.

Another plus for me was seeing all the alums at halftime. I think the presence of Brent Price is what inspired Cade to go crazygonuts. :D

bluedogok
2/15/2009, 03:24 PM
Pat Knight looks like a parent coaching his kid's YMCA team.
The Tech alum in my office figures this will be his last year, I agree...Bobby Knight didn't do them any favors and I didn't think he would either but they were duped. He was talking about getting a "name" coach, I said that a "name" doesn't help you if they have a bunch of baggage with it and any "name" coach headed to Lubbock is going to have baggage. They would be better off getting a Capel type of hire, guys successful at smaller schools who get hired up a level. They tend to work out more often than hiring a name.

okienole3
2/15/2009, 03:37 PM
The Tech alum in my office figures this will be his last year, I agree...Bobby Knight didn't do them any favors and I didn't think he would either but they were duped. He was talking about getting a "name" coach, I said that a "name" doesn't help you if they have a bunch of baggage with it and any "name" coach headed to Lubbock is going to have baggage. They would be better off getting a Capel type of hire, guys successful at smaller schools who get hired up a level. They tend to work out more often than hiring a name.

Or a Travis Ford type? :O

the_ouskull
2/15/2009, 06:15 PM
I really wondered why OU recruited Orlando Allen. He didn't do too much in JUCO and he hasn't done too much here. I'm not sure he'll get much playing time next season.

I am not joking, or in any way being facetious when I say that I could average 2 ppg at Paris Junior College. I'm 35 with three bad knees. I certainly could have done it when I was in my early-20's. If he only scored 2 points per game at P.J.C., then there's a good chance he won't see the floor as a Sooner. How long is he going to be eating a scholly?

the_ouskull

Sooner04
2/15/2009, 07:47 PM
We probably had one to give, so we went ahead and gave it. I'm no recruitnik, but Capel probably saw something in him to just say, "what the hell." Him being on the team certainly won't kill us. I'd like to think we've recruited over every interior guy we've got on scholarship already for the 2010 season.

It's been my contingency for a LONG time to give scholarships to 6'8'' guys who can move their feet over 6'10'' guys who cannot.

kc sooner
2/15/2009, 08:38 PM
Just got back to Kansas City from Norman. That was the 2nd b-ball game I've been to down there and it was a blast! Awesome game and Blake is a stud! The last game I went to down there was when Taj and Bookout were playing, it was against KSU and we won by one point. This was much better!! Talked my wife into going down there on Valentine's Day and we don't regret it. Living here in KC all my life, I don't get to see OU play live very often, I wish I lived closer so I could go to more games, it really is fun. Great to see Eduardo also!!

bri
2/15/2009, 09:38 PM
Yeah, the little "who are you, again?" when introducing Eduardo was pretty funny.

Sooner04
2/15/2009, 09:59 PM
The intro video is the best pregame video since football '03.
Ah, see that's where you're wrong.

Our intro is the best I've seen since this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcCkBT05XY) little slice of heaven hit the airwaves.

tommieharris91
2/15/2009, 10:14 PM
Just got back to Kansas City from Norman. That was the 2nd b-ball game I've been to down there and it was a blast! Awesome game and Blake is a stud! The last game I went to down there was when Taj and Bookout were playing, it was against KSU and we won by one point. This was much better!! Talked my wife into going down there on Valentine's Day and we don't regret it. Living here in KC all my life, I don't get to see OU play live very often, I wish I lived closer so I could go to more games, it really is fun. Great to see Eduardo also!!

If OU gets sent to KC for the 1st weekend of the NCAA tournament, you better show up there. Tell your wife to go with you. You'll have fun.

bri
2/16/2009, 01:02 AM
Ah, see that's where you're wrong.

Our intro is the best I've seen since this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjcCkBT05XY) little slice of heaven hit the airwaves.

Meh.

the_ouskull
2/16/2009, 08:27 PM
I miss the old "NBA on NBC" music. Sigh.

I remember Lil' Penny being funnier though... Maybe I just liked the ad with Tyra Banks in it because Tyra Banks was in it.

the_ouskull

kc sooner
2/17/2009, 09:21 AM
If OU gets sent to KC for the 1st weekend of the NCAA tournament, you better show up there. Tell your wife to go with you. You'll have fun.

If they get to come here, we will be there for sure!