PDA

View Full Version : Stacey Dales quits ESPiN

SteelClip49
2/14/2009, 12:15 AM
http://backporch.fanhouse.com/2009/02/13/stacey-dales-quit-espn-over-airline-tix/

Stacey Dales Quit ESPN Over Airline Tix
Posted Feb 13th 2009 3:30PM by Will Brinson (author feed)

Filed Under: Blogs, ESPN, Sports Media, Current Events

Stacey Dales left ESPN a few months ago on a "matter of principle," when the two sides could not meet in the middle on a certain portion of her contract. At the time, this was alleged to be some sort of "travel provision." We heard about it and we all moved on.

Then the rumor surfaced that Dales backed out of the contract because ESPN refused to pay for her not to fly coach when she traveled around the country. This rumor was, purportedly, confirmed by an ESPN source recently.
However, an ESPN source confirmed an Internet report that Dales was unhappy with flying coach while many of her colleagues were flying first class.

"At some point, you have to take a stand at whatever you are doing in life," Dales said. "That's not sounding like a feminist. That's not sounding like a spoiled, rotten kid. That's making a business decision that affects the quality of your life. That was an important thing for me."

Alright, the obvious, immediate reaction here is jump all over Dales and criticize her for refusing to "grow up" or some such terms.

But you know what? I don't think that's the right stance to take. Dales had been with the network for several years, ending her career on a broadcasting team with Paul Maguire, Bob Griese and Brad Nessler. Now, call me crazy, but I'm willing to bet that those three guys all fly first class every week.

Presuming that's true, it would mean that Dales -- a woman -- sat in a different (read: inferior) portion of the plane than the three men she worked with. Which gives her, in my mind, a pretty good excuse for making that a sticking point.

goingoneight
2/14/2009, 12:42 AM
:les: ESPN HATES OU!!!1111!!!11

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
2/14/2009, 12:50 AM
Nice, Stacy. Go get a similar gig with????????... or sue the ESPN for sex discrimination, then retire from broadcasting completely.

SteelClip49
2/14/2009, 01:19 AM
Not because she went to OU but she was the most underrated personality on ESPN. I preferred her over Erin. Stacy had the looks, the intelligence, the prowess and better knowledge of football and basketball.... a woman who loved her job and what she did. Erin and others are just a show and there for the looks and attention.

TheHumanAlphabet
2/14/2009, 05:53 AM
I bet she had enough miles for status and an Automatic Upgrade to first...

I wonder if Espin has a travel policy stating class of travel or if it is negotiated in the contract. If negotiated, Dales either didn't do a good job or there is something else going on. I find it hatd to believe someone would quit a job over an airline seat policy.

King Crimson
2/14/2009, 06:05 AM
maybe she got tired of Digger sliming it up after a few on set Jameson's and hitting on her.

Scott D
2/14/2009, 10:28 AM
I'm just curious why you assume the immediate response would be to jump on her case and tell her to grow up .

Scott D
2/14/2009, 10:33 AM
I bet she had enough miles for status and an Automatic Upgrade to first...

I wonder if Espin has a travel policy stating class of travel or if it is negotiated in the contract. If negotiated, Dales either didn't do a good job or there is something else going on. I find it hatd to believe someone would quit a job over an airline seat policy.

According to the article it was the sticking point of negotiations, so it stands to reason that it's in the contracts. I kind of view it as she's part of that core team, and if the rest of the team is flying first class, then it should be available for her as well. If not, then it can reasonably be considered discriminatory practices, something ESPN is very familiar with.

King Crimson
2/14/2009, 10:37 AM
According to the article it was the sticking point of negotiations, so it stands to reason that it's in the contracts. I kind of view it as she's part of that core team, and if the rest of the team is flying first class, then it should be available for her as well. If not, then it can reasonably be considered discriminatory practices, something ESPN is very familiar with.

i agree. i bet Stacey ain't going to hustle too hard to find a job with FOX.

sometimes, having principle is what life is about.

Viking Kitten
2/14/2009, 11:00 AM
Good for her.

Flagstaffsooner
2/14/2009, 11:10 AM
sometimes, having principle is what life is about.
Now that's just damn funny comming from a donk.;)

King Crimson
2/14/2009, 11:11 AM
Now that's just damn funny comming from a donk.;)

i'm not a democrat, g.

Flagstaffsooner
2/14/2009, 11:17 AM
i'm not a democrat, g.I am a Libertarian and I find your posts somewhat Libertarian and somewhat donk.

King Crimson
2/14/2009, 11:25 AM
I am a Libertarian and I find your posts somewhat Libertarian and somewhat donk.

i don't dislike the idea of a republic or not see the problems with democracy....

but as far as it goes, i think individual liberty is first among those rights protected by governance.

Mjcpr
2/14/2009, 11:34 AM
Finally, a thread that discusses politics around here!

Flagstaffsooner
2/14/2009, 11:36 AM
We do tend to drift, dont we?

King Crimson
2/14/2009, 11:40 AM
i blame the libs for bad "out of the bag" onion rings.

tommieharris91
2/14/2009, 01:08 PM
i blame the libs for bad "out of the bag" onion rings.

I blame George W. Bush for those.

soonerboomer93
2/14/2009, 01:52 PM
really, you ****ers can't keep the bull**** in the political threads?

StoopTroup
2/14/2009, 03:25 PM
Wonder if this brought things to a head?

The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act of 2009

On January 29, 2009, with the new law's namesake Lilly Ledbetter there to witness, President Obama signed into law the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act -- legislation to fight pay discrimination and ensure fundamental fairness to American workers

The White House (http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing_room/LillyLedbetterFairPayActPublicReview/)

batonrougesooner
2/14/2009, 03:31 PM
I don't blame her.

Has she quit the ladies too?

2/14/2009, 05:06 PM
Has she quit the ladies too?Is that info on google?

TheHumanAlphabet
2/14/2009, 06:35 PM

Must be too much testosterone in the air around there... Surprised the U.S. EEOC hasn't come calling...

Soonerfan88
2/15/2009, 09:00 PM
I've seen several comments (not just on here) about how she should just use her miles to get free upgrades. 2 points there:

1) Some corporations keep the miles themselves if they are paying for the ticket. Therefore, she didn't have any to upgrade with.

2) If her peers are getting 1st class paid by the corp. why should she have to use her miles? Still comes back to discrimination.

We don't really know what the exact reasons were because Stacey & ESPN aren't saying anything officially. Everything has come from internal or unnamed sources. ESPN isn't a stranger to discrimination suits. Stacey might be keeping her statements vague because she is currently working on litigation.

2/15/2009, 10:35 PM
Hope she doesn't hit the jackpot and retire. I like seeing her on TV.

Tulsa_Fireman
2/16/2009, 08:49 PM
She can always ride first class on MY fuselage.

EYOHHH!!

OU4LIFE
2/17/2009, 08:29 AM

BOOYAH!

badger
2/17/2009, 09:26 AM
I hope someone gets the chance to talk to her to ask what happened. I think a lot of people are curious about what went down.

I have been hoping for an ESPN competitor for years to emerge. If you ever have the opportunity, watch one of ESPN's competitors or visit their sites to give them a few more viewers or site visitors. They include:

Versus Network
NFL Network
Fox Sports Net

Somebody's gotta emerge or we're gonna be stuck with Herbie, Kirk and Corso telling us why USC and the Big 10 are deserving of a championship berth they obviously don't.

And, as we see from OU's own (and Canada's own, if you're a Maple Leafer) Stacey Dales, if they're they major gig in town, they'll treat their employees like sh!t.

Ton Loc
2/17/2009, 09:48 AM
Good luck to Stacy in the future. She actually seemed to know her stuff and really seemed like she was moving up through ESPN. I don't know all the details I'm going with my initial reaction which is:

Wasn't she mainly a sideline reporter at football and men's basketball games as well as a woman's basketball analyst? Did she really expect the same treatment as the color commentator and play by play people? That would be like me thinking I should get paid as much with the same benefits as the engineer's I support although their job is more difficult and requires tons more work and experience.

I love Erin Andrews and Stacy Dales, but sideline reporting may be the most over-rated position on sports TV. What's their main job, ask the coach some generic question, report injuries (if they can get the information), and look pretty? All their really giving are things I already know in a nice looking package (which makes me wonder why there are men sideline reporters).

In other words, I don't see this as sexual discrimination or any thing else other than some d-bags at ESPN saying, "Hey, did you forget you're a sideline reporter?"

Umm, I can feel the red coming.

Scott D
2/17/2009, 03:00 PM
I hope someone gets the chance to talk to her to ask what happened. I think a lot of people are curious about what went down.

I have been hoping for an ESPN competitor for years to emerge. If you ever have the opportunity, watch one of ESPN's competitors or visit their sites to give them a few more viewers or site visitors. They include:

Versus Network
NFL Network
Fox Sports Net

Somebody's gotta emerge or we're gonna be stuck with Herbie, Kirk and Corso telling us why USC and the Big 10 are deserving of a championship berth they obviously don't.

And, as we see from OU's own (and Canada's own, if you're a Maple Leafer) Stacey Dales, if they're they major gig in town, they'll treat their employees like sh!t.

Versus is now what ESPN was in 1982.

soonerscuba
2/17/2009, 04:01 PM
I think Stacey Dales has the right to choose, whatever that choice may be.

Scott D
2/17/2009, 05:35 PM
Good luck to Stacy in the future. She actually seemed to know her stuff and really seemed like she was moving up through ESPN. I don't know all the details I'm going with my initial reaction which is:

Wasn't she mainly a sideline reporter at football and men's basketball games as well as a woman's basketball analyst? Did she really expect the same treatment as the color commentator and play by play people? That would be like me thinking I should get paid as much with the same benefits as the engineer's I support although their job is more difficult and requires tons more work and experience.

I love Erin Andrews and Stacy Dales, but sideline reporting may be the most over-rated position on sports TV. What's their main job, ask the coach some generic question, report injuries (if they can get the information), and look pretty? All their really giving are things I already know in a nice looking package (which makes me wonder why there are men sideline reporters).

In other words, I don't see this as sexual discrimination or any thing else other than some d-bags at ESPN saying, "Hey, did you forget you're a sideline reporter?"

Umm, I can feel the red coming.

And what if say, Todd White, or the guy who does soccer regularly but works with Sean McDonough and Chris Spielman flies first class with the rest of the 'team' they are on?

Ton Loc
2/18/2009, 12:56 AM
And what if say, Todd White, or the guy who does soccer regularly but works with Sean McDonough and Chris Spielman flies first class with the rest of the 'team' they are on?

If that's the case then ESPN is giving away money. I wish her luck in the future. I really shouldn't take my dislike of sideline reporting out on her.

OU1988
2/21/2009, 08:40 PM
I'm going to miss her during the women's NCAA Tournament coverage.

trwxxa
9/24/2009, 07:53 PM
Is now on NFL Network. I watched her last night and she appears to have had some "enhancements" done. I read she also is on the Sunday morning Gameday show. :hot:

Petro-Sooner
9/24/2009, 08:28 PM
Has she quit the ladies too?

HEH No she hasnt.

SanJoaquinSooner
9/24/2009, 08:41 PM
I've watched both Sunday mornings for the pre-game show. She's with a set of NFL heavyweights, e.g., Steve Mariucci, Michael Irvin, Warren Sapp, and Marshall Faulk. She can hold her own in the show. She needs a bit more experience reading the teleprompt, but she's doing fine.

picasso
9/24/2009, 11:26 PM
Is now on NFL Network. I watched her last night and she appears to have had some "enhancements" done. I read she also is on the Sunday morning Gameday show. :hot:

Nope, she had those when she played ball, you just can't tell in a baggy jersey and sports bra. I first noticed this in a photo of her in a sweater with Coach Cole during her playing days.:O

olevetonahill
9/24/2009, 11:42 PM
WE need to see her Nekked so we can compare :hot:

Leroy Lizard
9/25/2009, 03:08 AM
The terms of her contract are her business and she doesn't need to explain any of it.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
9/25/2009, 07:28 AM
HEH No she hasnt.

More info is requested please!

Tulsa_Fireman
9/25/2009, 07:29 AM
Mmmmm. Love me some zombie Stacey Dales thread.

badger
9/25/2009, 08:56 AM

I love Erin Andrews and Stacy Dales, but sideline reporting may be the most over-rated position on sports TV.

I think the sideline reporter position basically gives women a role in reporting male sports. In both men's basketball and football, you will hardly ever see a female commentator in a pregame show or doing play-by-play at courtside/from the press box.

Thus, I would say that this role is incredibly important to a network and why you won't ever see a guy fill this role anymore if they get hot chicks doing it.

However, I would not put it past ESPN to tell Stacey that she's "just a sideline reporter," and have heard multiple times that they give this treatment to all of their employees not just the sideline reporters. Everyone, to ESPN, is replaceable, because they view their jobs as dream jobs... much like the namesake of the reality show they had a few years ago showing how competitive the atmosphere is to even get a chance at being on ESPN.

So, once again, give a big eff you to the "Worldwide Leader in Sports" and make a point of watching someone on the other networks' games a little this Saturday.

King Crimson
9/25/2009, 11:24 AM
Stacey's a lot smarter on the air than Digger. at least what she says makes sense.

bluedogok
9/26/2009, 11:23 AM
She probably hasn't had as much to drink as Digger before going on the air....

tulsaoilerfan
9/26/2009, 08:53 PM
We need pics to make this thread more interesting

Curly Bill
9/26/2009, 08:58 PM
We need pics to make this thread more interesting

2nd!

Al Gore
9/27/2009, 07:48 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_mTIR6JMpzsI/ST87GL6hMHI/AAAAAAAAC9c/ckOBDpXtszo/s400/manginovelour.jpg

Okla-homey
9/27/2009, 08:39 PM
Is now on NFL Network. I watched her last night and she appears to have had some "enhancements" done.

Naw. I don't think so.

Exhibit A:
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/7106/stacyaacarddales02.jpg
Smashboobie sportsbra

Exhibit B:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4844/40409143.png
normal bra

StoopTroup
9/27/2009, 09:04 PM
It's probably just the Mangino effect.