PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha Readin?

Frozen Sooner
2/13/2009, 12:41 AM
Just finished Werewolves in Their Youth by Michael Chabon and Stranger than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk. Both are recommended, though I thought Werewolves was a bit better.

About to start The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler.

SoonerStud615
2/13/2009, 12:54 AM
Breakfast at Tiffany's Truman Capote, for a class

Candide Voltaire, also for a class

Pillars of the Earth Ken Follett, for leisure

royalfan5
2/13/2009, 07:43 AM
The Cash Nexus by Niall Ferguson, and Roots by Alex Haley.

olevetonahill
2/13/2009, 08:38 AM
Just Now finished the "Brass Verdict"
By Michael Connelly

King Crimson
2/13/2009, 08:39 AM
About to start The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler.

it's the Big Lebowski. it's a spoof of the detective/film noir genre based mostly on the Big Sleep (narrative structure)....with an "updated" version of the "anti-hero" who isn't quite Edward G. Robinson or Jimmy Cagney but very much a product of the social alienation of HIS time, heh.

avoid the movie version of the Big Sleep with Robert Mitchum, it's pretty average.

"The Captive Mind; Alpha the Moralist"--Czelaw Milosz
"The Garden Party"-- Vaclav Havel

Viking Kitten
2/13/2009, 09:39 AM
"Oklahoma: A History" by Baird and Goble.

So I was doing a piece for Black History Month on Oklahoma's historic all-black towns. It's a very unique part of Oklahoma's past; there were once 50 of them, more than any other state. Many of them were in Eastern Oklahoma because they were settled by freed slaves of the Cherokees.

It just fascinates the hell out of me how stuff that happened 150 years ago is still influencing Oklahoma politics today.

OhU1
2/13/2009, 10:00 AM
Fatu-Hiva published in 1974, by archaeologist and explorer Thor Heyerdahl, detailing his experiences and reflections during a one-and-a-half-year stay on the Marquesan island of Fatu Hiva in 1937-38.

Reading this book has convinced me that the "back to nature" concept is very over rated. That is unless you dig parasites, mosquitoes, and communing with the rocks and trees.

Crucifax Autumn
2/13/2009, 10:41 AM
Chainfire - Terry Goodkind

TMcGee86
2/13/2009, 11:53 AM
Just finished "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. Excellent book.

I'm now reading "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. So far so good, but Bryson puts Diamond to shame in the writing category.

soonerboomer93
2/13/2009, 12:27 PM
The Halflings Gem (Book 6 of the legent of Drizzit)

I have watchmen to read, but not sure if i'll read that next, or read the next 4 legend of Drizzit books

yermom
2/13/2009, 12:32 PM
i think i only read six of those books, i don't even remember which ones. like first 3 and then the ones about his back story?

i should probably read Stranger than Fiction, but i read Choke, Survivor and Fight Club in pretty short succession recently and was kinda burned out on his style

right now i'm kinda in the middle of a book of lectures by Richard Feynman

soonerboomer93
2/13/2009, 01:31 PM
i think i only read six of those books, i don't even remember which ones. like first 3 and then the ones about his back story?

i should probably read Stranger than Fiction, but i read Choke, Survivor and Fight Club in pretty short succession recently and was kinda burned out on his style

right now i'm kinda in the middle of a book of lectures by Richard Feynman

they just re-released them. They now order the first 2 trilogies into chronological order (his history, then icewind dale). I think there's atleast 5 series now. Either 3 or 4 are in the legend of drizzit series though.

Oldnslo
2/13/2009, 05:12 PM
I just reread Watchmen. Then the newest trade paperback for Spidey. I've just started reading The Boys trades, too. good stuff.

soonerboomer93
2/13/2009, 07:25 PM
I need a couple good batman's to read maybe.

I'll be readin the drizzit stuff for a bit though

Ace
2/13/2009, 10:33 PM
"Give me a Break" - by John Stossel.

colleyvillesooner
2/14/2009, 07:16 AM
Pillars of the Earth Ken Follett, for leisure

About to start that one.

Currently reading "The Happiest Baby on Earth"
:O

SoonerStud615
2/14/2009, 12:22 PM
About to start that one.

I picked it up because I just saw that he wrote a sequel for it that came out last fall to good reception.

Jerk
2/14/2009, 12:44 PM
I'm trying to read the Stimulus bill but the co**suckers put a line through all the words, so I have to read all 1437 pages.

mikeelikee
2/14/2009, 10:13 PM
"Liberal Fascism", by Jonah Goldberg.

SouthFortySooner
2/14/2009, 11:04 PM
Aztec Fire- Gary Jennings. I would recommend his book Spangle.

Rogue
2/15/2009, 11:04 AM
The Dark Tower (Book 7 finally) - Stephen King

mynameisjoe
2/16/2009, 12:42 AM
D-Day by Stephen Ambrose

Frozen Sooner
2/16/2009, 01:07 AM
it's the Big Lebowski. it's a spoof of the detective/film noir genre based mostly on the Big Sleep (narrative structure)....with an "updated" version of the "anti-hero" who isn't quite Edward G. Robinson or Jimmy Cagney but very much a product of the social alienation of HIS time, heh.

avoid the movie version of the Big Sleep with Robert Mitchum, it's pretty average.

"The Captive Mind; Alpha the Moralist"--Czelaw Milosz
"The Garden Party"-- Vaclav Havel

You've mentioned that to me before. I see the distinct similarities. Enjoyed the book thoroughly.

Now I'm on to Wonder Boys by Chabon.

Frozen Sooner
2/25/2009, 08:42 PM
Wonder Boys for anyone interested, is a pretty decent book.

Just got done with Fool by Christopher Moore, which wasn't up to his usual standards and Fargo Rock City by Chuck Klosterman.

Jerk, you need to read Fargo Rock City. You'd dig the hell out of it. It's all about glam and hair metal bands from the 80s. I've been listening to Shout at the Devil and Appetite for Destruction pretty nonstop since starting it.

Now reading Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs by Klosterman.

Ace
2/25/2009, 09:14 PM
Odd Hours - Dean Koontz

Curly Bill
2/25/2009, 11:42 PM
Flying Sparks - Growing Up On the Edge of Las Vegas

Odette Larson

MrJimBeam
2/26/2009, 08:02 AM
The Day of Battle -- Rick Atkinson

King Crimson
2/26/2009, 08:39 AM
You've mentioned that to me before. I see the distinct similarities. Enjoyed the book thoroughly.

in the same "hard-boiled crime novel" vein, it's worth checking out Dashiel Hammett's the Thin Man (the movies are a farce) or the Maltese Falcon (movie is not a farce). those are both good.

film-wise: some great noirs: White Heat, Kiss Me Deadly (Tarantino steals the glowing briefcase motif from KMD), Asphalt Jungle, the Big Clock, and the Big Combo...outside classics like Double Indemnity and Welles' Touch of Evil or The Stranger.

i like Klosterman pretty OK. i've used him in classes before (students love him)....i like Fargo, not as crazy about S,D, and CCP, there's some really good stuff in the compilation Klosterman IV. he's a little too much when he tries to be "too philosophical" instead of just a cultural narrator....and too often his overstate for effect, turn of phrase and stylistic dependence on Hunter Thompson and Lester Bangs is a little over-apparent. JMO, but on the whole i like him.

"as subtle as a musk ox in heat" or some such is a straight HST type coinage. there are certainly worse things, though.

Crucifax Autumn
2/26/2009, 11:22 AM
Finally finishing up Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth Series with Confessor, the finale of a 3 book trilogy that ends the series.