PDA

View Full Version : How many of your daily meals have a meat component?

royalfan5
2/12/2009, 07:55 PM
I always eat meat as part of my supper, 75% at Dinner, and rarely at breakfast. I'd say I eat beef 60%, chicken 30%, and pork 10% of that time. I'm just curious as to how typical this is.

bri
2/12/2009, 08:06 PM
Most days all three of them do. Breakfast is an egg white omelet with turkey, ham, chicken and usually bacon. Lunch always includes either chicken or fish, as does dinner.

Mmmmm, protein!

olevetonahill
2/12/2009, 08:12 PM
Is it really a Meal without Meat of somekind?

OUHOMER
2/12/2009, 08:23 PM
Is it really a Meal without Meat of somekind?

nope, if theres no meat, it's a snack

olevetonahill
2/12/2009, 08:49 PM
nope, if theres no meat, it's a snack

Or the salad before the Steak and porkchops :D

TUSooner
2/12/2009, 08:52 PM
All seven.

Okla-homey
2/12/2009, 08:59 PM
I went through about a ten year phase when I was younger and more liberal in which I didn't eat mammals. Mainly because it seemed kinda cannibalistic and because beef and pigs are such ravenous devourers of the world's resources. That, and a pig is a fllthy animal that eats its own poop.

Then I got over it. I also now understand that an ounce of meat protein takes less natural resources to produce, process and market than an ounce of equivalently nutrient rich plant-based protein. I remember reading that somewhere and going, "wellI'llbe"

AllAboutThe'O'
2/12/2009, 09:13 PM
I'm sure as heck not a vegetarian. I much prefer chicken, though; I'm not a steak eater.

Vaevictis
2/12/2009, 09:54 PM
Pretty much every meal. I like to joke that if it didn't used to have a face, I'm not interested.

bri
2/12/2009, 10:45 PM
The secret ingredient in all my meals? Murder. :D

soonerboomer93
2/12/2009, 11:00 PM
breakfast is oatmeal, lunch and dinner normally chicken or tuna

Frozen Sooner
2/12/2009, 11:08 PM
I went through about a ten year phase when I was younger and more liberal in which I didn't eat mammals. Mainly because it seemed kinda cannibalistic and because beef and pigs are such ravenous devourers of the world's resources. That, and a pig is a fllthy animal that eats its own poop.

I can't be the only person who found this revelation a bit, well, shocking.

I mean, I've never even CONSIDERED becoming a piscetarian much less a vegetarian, but HOMEY was?

tommieharris91
2/12/2009, 11:09 PM
Only at lunch or dinner. Cereal at breakfast is good enough for me.

AllAboutThe'O'
2/12/2009, 11:31 PM
Only at lunch or dinner. Cereal at breakfast is good enough for me.

Same here. Also, I eat my cereal dry.

yermom
2/12/2009, 11:48 PM

Then I got over it. I also now understand that an ounce of meat protein takes less natural resources to produce, process and market than an ounce of equivalently nutrient rich plant-based protein. I remember reading that somewhere and going, "wellI'llbe"

i have a hard time believing this. i'd be interested in seeing the numbers.

i kinda flirt with vegetarianess sometimes. it can be hard to avoid meat without trying pretty hard though.

Okla-homey
2/13/2009, 07:41 AM
i have a hard time believing this. i'd be interested in seeing the numbers.

i kinda flirt with vegetarianess sometimes. it can be hard to avoid meat without trying pretty hard though.

I was'nt a vegetarian. I just avoided eating mammals. I ate birds and fish.

As to plant vs. meat protein, I think the difference involved density. I guess a typical ounce of meat has much more protein than a typical ounce of beans or whatever plant protein you have.

olevetonahill
2/13/2009, 08:40 AM
I was'nt a vegetarian. I just avoided eating mammals. I ate birds and fish.

As to plant vs. meat protein, I think the difference involved density. I guess a typical ounce of meat has much more protein than a typical ounce of beans or whatever plant protein you have.

But we get Lots of Gas from beans .;)

Vaevictis
2/13/2009, 10:58 AM

I'd like to see that too. Looking at some off-hand numbers, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Soy has 36.5g protein per 100g of soy, beef (for example) has 31.6g per 100g of beef.

And while I don't know this for a fact, I expect it requires a whole lot more resources to raise a pound of beef than a pound of soy.

The funny thing is that vegetarian activists will often make the exact same argument as you just laid out with the exact opposite conclusion.

Okla-homey
2/13/2009, 04:44 PM
I'd like to see that too. Looking at some off-hand numbers, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Soy has 36.5g protein per 100g of soy, beef (for example) has 31.6g per 100g of beef.

And while I don't know this for a fact, I expect it requires a whole lot more resources to raise a pound of beef than a pound of soy.

The funny thing is that vegetarian activists will often make the exact same argument as you just laid out with the exact opposite conclusion.

There is never a damned aggie around when you need one. Which is rarely. Like now for instance.

King Crimson
2/13/2009, 04:54 PM
There is never a damned aggie around when you need one. Which is rarely. Like now for instance.

or a rep for the meat and dairy or pork industry who is probably armed with these kinds of facts. growing wheat or rice doesn't produce poop like those others do, which presents a different kind of problem altogether....which requires a spatial solution so i don't see how per square unit (feet, inches, whatever)...live animal production is more "resource friendly".

that said, i had a turkey club sammie for lunch with a small bowl of cheddar-broccoli soup.

NormanPride
2/13/2009, 04:58 PM
Veggie for breakfast and sometimes for lunch if I eat a cuisine that has developed its vegetarian dishes. Dinner almost always has meat. Usually chicken or turkey. I rarely eat beef any more, as I try to reduce the amount of fat I get from protein. There are so many other sources out there that my protein doesn't need to add on to it. :D

I have a good friend that says butter should be its own food group. I tend to agree sometimes.

royalfan5
2/13/2009, 05:24 PM

On the intensity level, it generally takes 8lb's of corn to create a pound of gain in beef, 3ish for a pound on pork, and chicken is generally pretty close to 1 to 1. Since beans are legumes and supply their own nitrogen, they are require less chemical inputs and mechanical cultivation. However, you can't grow beans on beans because of disease.

NormanPride
2/13/2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I heard feeding beans to beans to make them grow causes mad bean disease.

royalfan5
2/13/2009, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I heard feeding beans to beans to make them grow causes mad bean disease.

For the non ag person, saying you can grow beans on beans, means you have rotate them with another crop.

StoopTroup
2/13/2009, 06:25 PM
I eat a strict Big Mac diet now.

I feel amazing once I switched.

JohnnyMack
2/13/2009, 06:39 PM
Breakfast - maybe twice a week.

Lunch - probably 6 or 7.

Dinner - probably 6 or 7.