PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting services worth it?

47straight
2/12/2009, 06:43 PM
Are the paid recruiting services worth the entertainment value?

I only ask because we're in football limbo. Reading about everything johnny fivestar's brother had for lunch might help fill the gap for a few months.

Curly Bill
2/12/2009, 06:45 PM
I look at Rivals almost everyday, but being cheap I don't pay for it, and just see what I can for free....works for me.

Curly Bill
2/12/2009, 06:45 PM
I have a friend that does pay for it though, and I think he considers it worth it.

Harry Beanbag
2/13/2009, 08:41 AM
I cancelled my Rivals membership last year after Signing Day after several years. I can't say I miss it. They like to pump up a lot of stories and rumors to get the folks excited, and they hardly ever pan out. If you like to be teased and have Lucy pull the ball away at the last minute, then I guess it would probably be worth it.

Rhino
2/13/2009, 02:40 PM
If you like to be teased and have Lucy pull the ball away at the last minute, then I guess it would probably be worth it. That is totally Rivals' M.O.

Harry Beanbag
2/13/2009, 05:26 PM
That is totally Rivals' M.O.

Is Insider or Scout or whatever it's called now any better? I cancelled them about 5 years ago because I got tired of paying money to somebody that can't type, spell, or put together a complete sentence.

JLEW1818
2/13/2009, 07:10 PM
you can find a password on bugmenot.com

Rhino
2/13/2009, 07:25 PM
Is Insider or Scout or whatever it's called now any better? I cancelled them about 5 years ago because I got tired of paying money to somebody that can't type, spell, or put together a complete sentence. Scout is crap. I understand your frustration with Insider, but it's probably the best.

snp
2/14/2009, 02:02 AM
Coaching staff prefers Hale over the Rivals guys - I know a couple guys on staff won't even talk to Josh or Carey anymore. I have an OUInsider login and a Rivals password but I don't pay for either of them so I can't really say if they're worth it.

I'd at least wait until practices start up if you're going to sign up for one.

KingDavid
2/17/2009, 12:36 AM
I've really enjoyed my rivals subscription. The text alerts were really fun during signing day while I was working. I think it's definitely worth it especially after you request the refund of $20 from SI for the free subscription. That makes it like $80/year or something ridiculously cheap. And those guys work at it, no matter what folks might say. They're trying to get good information.

I don't think it's fair to judge a recruiting service by how well they're liked by the coaching staff. Something seems inherently wrong about that. You've got to have an opinion from time to time - and that means you're going to **** some people off.

Little Al
2/18/2009, 02:17 AM
Hale? Could anyone edify me about Hale? I've never heard about them. Thank you.

snp
2/18/2009, 12:38 PM
I don't think it's fair to judge a recruiting service by how well they're liked by the coaching staff. Something seems inherently wrong about that. You've got to have an opinion from time to time - and that means you're going to **** some people off.

The coaches don't give a damn about anyone's opinions - not Josh, Hale, or us. They do get mad when the Rivals staff will betray their trust/run with stories with weaker sources.

http://benkoo.com/2009/02/15/foxs-scoutcom-settles-lawsuit-with-former-publishers/

Things keep getting worse for Scout. Good.