PDA

View Full Version : Dear Waco Police, Texas Laws Don't Apply in Oklahoma

SicEmBaylor
2/12/2009, 03:36 AM
So, I'm coming home from George's tonight after the game and I'm not 20' from my driveway when a cop flashes his lights. I go ahead and pull into my place, and he pulls into the drive behind me.

So, he gets out and tells me that my left tail light is busted. I apologize and let him know that I had no idea that it was out. I figured that'd be about the extent of the conversation, but evidently this guy was a major league *******.

He takes my license and starts asking me 10,000 questions about why I have an Oklahoma license if I'm living in Texas, how long I've been living here, where else in Waco I've lived, etc. I explain to him that I go to school at Baylor, and then he wants to know how long I've been living at this place in Bellmead. So, I tell him about a year and he starts reading me a riot act on how I need to get a Texas license if I'm a resident of Texas. I explained that I don't consider Texas to be my permanent residence.

So then he tells me, "Also you have an expired registration and inspection!" I still have the Texas registration and inspection stickers on my car that I bought in Texas but retagged in Oklahoma (the Oklahoma registration was current). I know I should have taken them off, but I just haven't got around to it yet. As for the inspection, I tell him, "I don't have to have the car inspected." Then he gets seriously pissed off/annoyed and explains the laws of Texas that require vehicle inspection. I'm trying to stay polite, but it seemed obvious at this point that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. When he finishes I tell him, "My car is tagged in Oklahoma so I don't have to have an inspection." Again, he argues with me and tells me that I do. Finally, I ask him outright, "So, you're telling me that an Oklahoma tagged car has to be inspected by the state of Texas?" He then pulls out a ticket that he had written up for the busted tail light and says, "Just sign the ticket!"....okay, so I sign the ticket.

I then ask him once more, "So you're telling me that I'm required to get a Texas inspection on an Oklahoma tagged car?" He's clearly annoyed and says, "You mean to tell me that you don't have to have your car inspected in Oklahoma?" I'm starting to get a little annoyed myself so I got pretty smug and said, "That's exactly what I'm telling you -- the Oklahoma legislature abolished vehicle inspection requirements several years ago."

So at any rate, he handed me my ticket and drove off. I've been pulled over many many times (almost always for speeding), and I know I got caught so I don't get pissed at the cop or anything. This was freaking ridiculous though and the cop had a serious attitude.

SicEmBaylor
2/12/2009, 03:36 AM
Actually, to be fair, it wasn't a Waco cop it was a Bellmead cop. I often forget that Waco and Bellmead are two different cities.

olevetonahill
2/12/2009, 04:03 AM
You shoulda Kicked his *** .

SicEmBaylor
2/12/2009, 04:47 AM

Yeah, but then he'd have stuck around a lot longer and I just really wanted him to leave.

badger
2/12/2009, 07:09 AM
To avoid getting pulled over, just switch to Texas tags. Seriously, having an Oklahoma tag in Texas is just asking to get pulled over.

Hot Rod
2/12/2009, 08:34 AM
To avoid getting pulled over, just switch to Texas tags. Seriously, having an Oklahoma tag in Texas is just asking to get pulled over.

I had a paper tag after buying a new truck and got pulled over on that stretch between Dallas and Houston for no reason! Cop says "I've never seen a paper tag like that before." I said "because it's an Oklahoma paper tag." He concludes "well, alright, carry on." :texan:

Okla-homey
2/12/2009, 08:47 AM
And in truth, the cop was probably incredulous that some purported Oklahoman had allegedly been residing in Waco for over seven years pursuing a bachelors degree without success. Sounds pretty implausible, and should have been reasonable suspicion leading to further questioning and ultimately arrest and interrogation, incorporating roughing the suspect.;)

1890MilesToNorman
2/12/2009, 09:27 AM
Did the cop get into the three way tie thingy?

1890MilesToNorman
2/12/2009, 09:30 AM
I guess my Maine registered truck ain't legal since I don't have a Texas inspection. I knew I was overlooking sumpthin.

Officer Rod Farva
2/12/2009, 09:34 AM
License and registration... chicken ****er!

OUMallen
2/12/2009, 10:58 AM
I'm freaking out man!

http://taylorghrist.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/andre_vippolis2.jpg

NormanPride
2/12/2009, 11:14 AM
Call and complain that he hit on you.

Collier11
2/12/2009, 11:17 AM

Did you just mention SicEM and kicking someones *** in the same sentence? I oughta neg you my friend but im too busy laughing so I wont ;) :texan:

TUSooner
2/12/2009, 11:23 AM
arguing with cop = fail

SteelClip49
2/12/2009, 11:34 AM
Cops think they know all. They may be the law but they aren't Daddy.

soonerboomer93
2/12/2009, 11:46 AM
So, I'm coming home from George's tonight after the game and I'm not 20' from my driveway when a cop flashes his lights. I go ahead and pull into my place, and he pulls into the drive behind me.

So, he gets out and tells me that my left tail light is busted. I apologize and let him know that I had no idea that it was out. I figured that'd be about the extent of the conversation, but evidently this guy was a major league *******.

He takes my license and starts asking me 10,000 questions about why I have an Oklahoma license if I'm living in Texas, how long I've been living here, where else in Waco I've lived, etc. I explain to him that I go to school at Baylor, and then he wants to know how long I've been living at this place in Bellmead. So, I tell him about a year and he starts reading me a riot act on how I need to get a Texas license if I'm a resident of Texas. I explained that I don't consider Texas to be my permanent residence.

So then he tells me, "Also you have an expired registration and inspection!" I still have the Texas registration and inspection stickers on my car that I bought in Texas but retagged in Oklahoma (the Oklahoma registration was current). I know I should have taken them off, but I just haven't got around to it yet. As for the inspection, I tell him, "I don't have to have the car inspected." Then he gets seriously pissed off/annoyed and explains the laws of Texas that require vehicle inspection. I'm trying to stay polite, but it seemed obvious at this point that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed. When he finishes I tell him, "My car is tagged in Oklahoma so I don't have to have an inspection." Again, he argues with me and tells me that I do. Finally, I ask him outright, "So, you're telling me that an Oklahoma tagged car has to be inspected by the state of Texas?" He then pulls out a ticket that he had written up for the busted tail light and says, "Just sign the ticket!"....okay, so I sign the ticket.

I then ask him once more, "So you're telling me that I'm required to get a Texas inspection on an Oklahoma tagged car?" He's clearly annoyed and says, "You mean to tell me that you don't have to have your car inspected in Oklahoma?" I'm starting to get a little annoyed myself so I got pretty smug and said, "That's exactly what I'm telling you -- the Oklahoma legislature abolished vehicle inspection requirements several years ago."

So at any rate, he handed me my ticket and drove off. I've been pulled over many many times (almost always for speeding), and I know I got caught so I don't get pissed at the cop or anything. This was freaking ridiculous though and the cop had a serious attitude.

you do realize, that merely removing the Texas inspection/tag stickers from your windshield would probably have lead to the cop not even asking about it, or less of a discussion. Your laziness led to this issue, in all honesty. He probably wouldn't have even given the ticket if you didn't have the old Texas stickers.

My car is tagged and was temp tagged out of Colorado. Last time I was pulled over, they didn't ask a single question. I even have an ez-tag for houston toll roads, that I got when I had temp tags and is registered to my colorado tags.

OUDoc
2/12/2009, 11:48 AM
Make a lot of sudden moves. They find that funny.

Collier11
2/12/2009, 11:56 AM
just play like you are reaching for his gun next time actually

soonerboomer93
2/12/2009, 12:03 PM
considering that sicem drives a pink miata, the cop would think he's going for the penis

JohnnyMack
2/12/2009, 12:33 PM
Fix your light and take away the stickers you lazy turd.

soonervegas
2/12/2009, 01:11 PM
My goal anytime I get pulled over is to say as little as possible. I am usually speeding so why argue.

I don't want some cop with a god complex thinking of any reason to make my children fatherless.

85Sooner
2/12/2009, 01:43 PM
Fix your light and take away the stickers you lazy turd.

WE agree!

SicEmBaylor
2/12/2009, 02:47 PM

Believe it or not, this is the first time I've ever been pulled over in Texas. I ALWAYS get pulled over in Oklahoma...ALWAYS.

SicEmBaylor
2/12/2009, 02:48 PM
And in truth, the cop was probably incredulous that some purported Oklahoman had allegedly been residing in Waco for over seven years pursuing a bachelors degree without success. Sounds pretty implausible, and should have been reasonable suspicion leading to further questioning and ultimately arrest and interrogation, incorporating roughing the suspect.;)

I'm pretty sure that even this dumb-*** cop with a room temperature IQ would figure out my explanation of that problem faster than you have.

soonerboomer93
2/12/2009, 03:38 PM
the worse part, is the cop could have graduated from baylor 3 years ago

olevetonahill
2/12/2009, 04:31 PM
Did you just mention SicEM and kicking someones *** in the same sentence? I oughta neg you my friend but im too busy laughing so I wont ;) :texan:

I musta been drunk :D

bluedogok
2/12/2009, 10:36 PM
I never had a problem with it, I lived a year in Dallas with OK tags before I bought a new car in Dallas and tagged it there...a year later I was back in OK. This time I didn't have OK plates very long but no issues in the months that I was traveling back and forth or the couple of months that I lived her before registering my pickup with OK plates in Texas. For the most part, I don't think most really care except for the "living part" although I had three DPD officers in my apartment and none ever said anything to me about it.